This Page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb site.

Rushford

Rushford was formed from Caneadea on March 8, 1816.  New Hudson was taken off in 1825.  It lies on the west border of the county, north of the center.

The first settlement was made by Enos GARY of Vermont in 1808.   Charles Swift, Abel Belknap, Amos Rose and Joshua Wilson from New England were settlers in the town in 1809-10.  Levi Benjamin, from Windsor, Vermont, and settled near Rushford Village in 1813.   Bethiah Belnap was born in the spring of 1810 and Samuel Gordon June 12, 1810, were the first births in the town.  Plina Bannister taught the first school near the center in the winter of 1813-14.  Levi Benjamin kept the first inn, a little north of Rushford Village in 1813 and James McCall the first store in 1814.  The first sawmill was built by Matthew P. Cady, on Caneadea Creek, in 1815.  The first girstmill was built by James McCall on the same stream in 1818.  The first religious meeting was held by Rev. Mr. Sanford (Baptists) in 1813.  The first church (Baptist) was formed in 1815 by Reverend Nathan Peck, a missionary from Boston.  [Source: J.H.French, Gazetteer of State of New York, 1860, p.168]


Rushford Town Website

Hamilton Child's 1875 Gazetteer - Rushford


Cities, Villages and Hamlets

Rushford - hamlet wast of Rushford Lake

East Rushford - former community now covered by Rushford Lake

Balcom Beach - hamlet on north side of Rushford Lake

Fairview - hamlet in the northwest corner of the town

Hardy Corners - hamlet in southwest corner of the town

Hillcrest hamlet on south side of Rushford Lake

Kellogsville - former community now covered by Rushford Lake

Podunk - formerly known as Podonque


Town Historian
LuAnne Bump
PO Box 38
Rushford, NY 14777
Telephone: 585-437-2206
Town Clerk

Rita M. Hunt
Town Hall
PO Box 38
8999 Main Street
Rushford, NY 14777
Telephone: 585-437-2206


Churches



Schools





Cemeteries

Note: All cemeteries, except #23-7 have been recorded by the Rushford Town Clerk.
  • First Burying Ground - code #23-2; Brooks Ave., Rushford, NY 14777; also known as the Old Burying Ground, Old Rushford Cemetery, and Old Town Cemetery
  • White Cemetery - code #23-1; (Town 5, Range 2HC, lot 28), N.Y. Rte. 243
  • Hardys Corner Cemetery - code #23-3; (lot 58), County Road 7B
  • Rushford Cemetery - code #23-4; Llewellen Street, Rushford, NY 147777; also known as Town Cemetery and New Rushford Cemetery; located on Llewellen Street
  • Old Cemetery Near Podonque or McCall Cemetery - code #23-5; (lot 20), County Road
  • Podonque Cemetery - code #23-6; (lot 22), Podunque Road
  • Cemetery - code #23-7; (lot 1), Rush Creek Road; plowed over

*code #s refer to the Allegany County Cemetery Index card file at the Allegany County Historical Society and LDS Family History Library microfilm. See Western New York Genealogical Society Journal, Vol. II, No. 1


Resources

  • Rushford and Rushford People by Helen Josephine White Gilbert, pub. 1910
  • The Rushford Centennial, Aug 16-21, 1908, Univeristy Microfilms, International, Ann Arbor, Michigan
  • First Presbyterian Church Minutes, Vols 1-3, 1838-1889, Presbyterian Historical Society, also available through FHCs
  • Church Records, 1820-1971, Western New York Methodist Conference Archives Center, Williamsville, Erie co., NY; also available at FHCs
  • Baptist Church, Rushford, Allegany County, N.Y., Early Settlers of New York State, Their Ancestors and Descendants by Janet Wethy Foley, Vol. VI, No. 6, December 1939, p.471

People of Rushford Roots



Rushford in the News


Return to Allegany Towns Page

Allegany County, New York Table of Contents


Last updated on July 19, 2006
© copyright 1999, Vivian Karen Bush
This page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb Site and is not affiliated with any other society or organization.

www.rhiossampler.com