This Page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb site.


Ward was formed from Alfred and Amity on Nov. 21, 1856.  It is an interior town, lying south east of the center of the county.

The first settlement was made in 1817 by Abraham Waldruff of Ontario county.  Daniel Ha-t and Hezekiah Ward settled in the north part in 1817-18.  George Waldruff kept the first inn at Philips Creek Village, and Waldruff & Cartwright the first store. [Source: J.H.French, Gazetteer of State of New York, 1860, p.168]

Hamilton Child's 1875 Gazetteer - Ward

Cities, Villages and Hamlets

Philips Creek - hamlet near north town line

Town Historian
- Vacant -
Town Clerk

Sue Wlasniewski
5755 White Rd
Belmont, NY 14813

Telephone: 585-268-5043


  • Methodist Episcopal


  • Phillips Creek - code #25-1; (Town 3, Range 1MR, lot 34), Phillips Creek Village; overgrown
  • Wadsworth Hill - code #25-2; Snodgrass Place
  • Sprague Cemetery - code #25-3; (lot 22-23), Wadsworth Hill
  • Reynolds Cemetery - code #25-4; (lot 33), N.Y. Rte. 244
  • Black - Tucker Cemetery - code #25-5; (lot 8), Vandermark Road
  • Pierce Cemetery
  • - code #25-7

*code #s refer to the Allegany County Cemetery Index card file at the Allegany County Historical Society and LDS Family History Library microfilm. See Western New York Genealogical Society Journal, Vol. II, No. 1

Return to Allegany Towns Page
Allegany County, New York Table of Contents

Last updated on July 17, 2006
© copyright 1999, Vivian Karen Bush
This page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb Site and is not affiliated with any other society or organization.