This Page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb site.
Willing was formed from Independence and
Scio on Nov. 19, 1851.
Alma was taken off in 1854, and part of
Wellsville in 1855. Willing lies on the
south border of the county, east of the center.
Elijah Robinson, from Brookfield, Madison county, settled on
the Genesee adjoining the State line in 1825. He built a sawmill
and made other improvements for four or five years when he became
deranged and left the town. The first death was a child of
Austin Butler in 1837. The first school was taught near
Beanville in 1836 by Betsey Lovell. Allen Gifford
kept the first inn in 1838 in Beanville and James R. Wood the
first store at the same place in 1839. Elijah Robinson
erected the first sawmill near the Pennsylvania line on the Genesee.
The first religious meeting (Protestant Methodist) was held at the
house of Daniel Baker by Rev. Seneca Fish. [Source: J.H.French, Gazetteer of State of New York, 1860, p.168]
Child's 1875 Gazetteer for Willing
Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Hallsport - hamlet in northeast corner of town by Chenunda Creek
Beanville - north of Shongo
Paynesville - southeast corner of the town
Stannards - hamlet on the north town line
Shongo - Read about a cyclone that hit Shongo.
Stone Dam - southwest corner of the town
York Corners - hamlet south of Stannards
|Town HistorianChristina Case Wightman |
3052 Palmer Road
Wellsville, NY 14895
2776 Palmer Road
Wellsville, NY 14707
Historical Vital Records
- Yorks Corners - code #28-1; (Town 1, Range 1MR, Lot 11), County Rd. 29
- Hallsport - code #28-2; (lot 221), Hallsport hamlet
- Shongo - code #28-3; lot 29, McCurdy Road; 1 grave, listed by Judy Cwiklinski
- Stannards - code #28-4; (lot 126), N.Y. Rte. 19
- Benjamin Jones - code #28-5; (lot 43), East of River Rd.
- Beech Hill - code #28-6; (lot 172), Beech Hill Rd.
- Stevens - code #28-7; (lot 21), N.Y. Rte. 19
- Walden - code #28-8; (lot 21), N.Y. Rte. 19
- Graves - code #28-9; (lot 32), Graves Rd.
- Stillman - code #28-10; (lot 10) York Corners hamlet
- Straight - code #28-11; Near County Rds. 29 & 38
- no name - code #28-12
*code #s refer to the Allegany County Cemetery Index card file at the Allegany County Historical Society and LDS Family History Library microfilm. See Western New York Genealogical Society Journal, Vol. II, No. 1
Return to Allegany Towns Page
- Stephens-Peet Cemetery Records, Shongo, Township of Willing, New York copied by Beatrice and LeRoy Dodson, handwritten; Walter C. Hinkle Memory Library, Alfred, NY; also available at FHCs
- Graves Cemetery - Cemetery Records of Graves and Gardner Families handwirtten; Walter C. Hinkle Memorial Library, Alfred, NY; also FHCs
Allegany County, New York Table of Contents
Last updated on July 17, 2006
© copyright 1999, Vivian Karen Bush
This page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb Site and is not affiliated with any other society or organization.