Coll. N.Y. Hist. Soc. (1891) has muster roll of men raised and passed muster in Co. Suffolk, April 1759, Capt. Stephen Sayre's Co., Ambrose Eglestone, 2 Apr., 39, b. in Ct., carpenter, out of Capt. Moore's militia company.
|3.||Ambrose Eggleston||b. 1741|
|4.||James Eggleston||b. 20 Aug 1743|
|5.||Elizabeth Eggleston||b. 1746|
|6*||John Eggleston||b. 17 Sep 1747|
|7.||Martha Eggleston||b. 1750|
Census information-Probably the John listed on 1820 Broome Co. There are no Eggleston's on 1810 Broome Co. census. Also listed are John Jr and Seth (his son's). He may have died before the 1830 census as there is only 1 John Eggleston listed on that census.
Allied lines- John's brother James married a Lydia Wetmore on June 12, 1770, his 2nd wife, and she died 1772. I don't know the connection with John's 1st wife, Sarah.
|  9*||Grove Eggleston||b. 29 Jun 1773|
|10.||Joel Eggleston||b. 1774|
|11.||Ambrose Eggleston||b. 8 Dec 1774|
|12*||Sally Eggleston||b. 1 Jan 1777|
|13*||John Eggleston||b. 12 Jul 1778|
|14.||Female Eggleston||b. 1780|
|15.||Female Eggleston||b. 1785|
|16*||Seth Eggleston||b. 1775/1790|
|17*||Orlando Eggleston||b. 12 Jul 1798|
|18*.||Frederick Eggleston||b. 1800|
(9) Grove Eggleston, son of John and Sarah (Wetmore) Eggleston, was born 29 Jun 1773 in Waterbury, CT, and married (20) Lucy Unknown.
(11) Ambrose Eggleston, son of John and Sarah (Wetmore) Eggleston, was born 8 Dec 1774 in Waterbury, CT.
(12) Sally Eggleston, daughter of John and Sarah (Wetmore) Eggleston, was born 1 Jan 1777 in Waterbury, CT.
(13) John Eggleston, son of John and Sarah (Wetmore) Eggleston, was born 12 Jul 1778 in Waterbury, CT, and married 1800, (21) Irene Edwards who was born 1787 in CT.
John is written up in the Smith's History of Broome Co., NY on page 276:
|22.||Joseph Eggleston||b. 1804/1810|
|23.||Harmon Eggleston||b. 1804/1810|
|24*||Harry Eggleston||b. 1808|
|25*||Mariah Eggleston||b. 7 Jun 1814  ||d. 15 Jan 1891|
|26.||Male Eggleston||b. 1810/1820|
|27*||Julius Eggleston||b. 8 Sep 1819|
In addition, there may be additional children for John and Irene, including a Frederick and a Susan who is listed as their daughter on historian records for South St. cem.
(16) Seth Eggleston, son of John and Sarah (Wetmore) Eggleston, was born 1775/1790 and married 1805/1808, (28) Anna Whitney who was born before 1790.
|29*||Ransom Eggleston||b. 1809||d. 1870|
|30.||Mahala Eggleston||b. 1810/1820|
|31.||Amanda Eggleston||b. 1810/1820|
|32.||Rhoda Ann Eggleston||b. 1810/1820|
|33*||Rulof Eggleston||b. 1811  ||d. 27 Jun 1851|
|34*||Horace Eggleston||b. 28 Sep 1817||d. 13 Jun 1864|
(17) Orlando Eggleston, son of John and Sarah (Wetmore) Eggleston, was born 1798 in CT, and married 1823, (35) Mary Unknown who was born 1797.
Census information Possibly the Orlane Eggleston listed on the 1830 census of Broome Co. NY
(18) Frederick Eggleston, son of John and Sarah (Wetmore) Eggleston, was born 9 Dec 1800 in CT, and married 11 May 1823 in Triangle NY, (36) Lora Warner. They had 13 children including Roxy and Rociter Eggleston, who married, respectively, Nathaniel and Julia English. They were siblings, born to Nathaniel & Elizabeth (Barber) English.
This is probably the Frederick Eggleston referred to on page 358 of Smith's History of Broome County: " A family named Warner formerly lived where the Widow Aiken now lives. One of her daughters married Frederick Eggleston. "
A majority of the children were buried in the South Street Cemetery, while Frederick and Lora were buried in Greene Co. NY in the Genegantslet Cem.
|37||Sally Eggleston||b. 1824|
|38*||Rociter Eggleston||b. 1824||d. after 1865|
|39*||Roxy Eggleston||b. 1826||d. 1903|
|40.||Laura Eggleston||b. 1830||d. 1896|
|41.||Eleanor J. Eggleston||b. 1832||d. 1873|
|42.||Mary J. Eggleston||b. 1834||d. 1889|
|43.||Matilda Eggleston||b. 1837||d. 1896|
|44.||J. F. Eggleston||b. 1838  ||d. 1839|
|45.||J. C. Eggleston||b. 1840  ||d. 1841|
|46*||Joseph W. Eggleston||b. 21 Sep 1842  ||d. 30 Apr 1907|
|47.||John W. Eggleston||b. 1844  ||d. 1864|
|48*||Dorcy H. Eggleston||b. 1846/8||d. 1883|
|49.||Charles Rich Eggleston||b. 1848|
(24) Harry Eggleston, son of John and Irene (Edwards) Eggleston, was born 1808 in Broome Co., NY, and married before 1833, (50) Pamelia Drake, born in 1813. Harry died in 1858.
|51*||Merritt Eggleston||b. 1833|
|52.||John H. Eggleston|
|53.||Thomas W. Eggleston|
(25) Mariah Eggleston, daughter of John and Irene (Edwards) Eggleston, was born 7 Jun 1814 in Broome Co., NY, and married before 1842, (58) Frederick English who was born 24 Jan 1816 in Broome Co., NY. Mariah died 15 Jan 1891 in NY. Frederick died 30 Mar 1880.
cemetery records: - Upper Ganegantslet Cemetery: Chenango Co. NY English - Frederick, Jan. 24, 1816 - Mar. 30, 1880 (64) Maria Egleston, wife, Jun. 7, 1814 - Jan. 15, 1891 (77) John, Mar. 27, 1842 - May 30, 1900 (58) Jane, wife, Oct., 2, 1842 - Feb. 11, 1914 (72) Belle, dau of Merritt & Caroline, d. Dec. 10, 1847 (8) Leroy, son of Merritt & Caroline, d. Apr. 1, 1880 (6 mo) *******Note - there is an error in the transcription of these records***** Census information: 1855 Census - Town of Greene Chenango Co. NY Name Age Rel Place of Birth Yrs. Res. Occ. Frederick English 49 Broome Co. 5 Farmer Maria English 40 Wife Broome Co. 5 Delia English 17 Daug Broome Co. 5 Ann Marie English 15 Daug Broome Co. 5 John English 13 Son Broome Co. 5 Merritt English 11 Son Broome Co. 5 Susan English 8 Daug Broome Co. 5 Caroline English 5 Daug Broome Co. 5 - page 420 1860 Chenango Co. Town of Greene Frederick English, 44, farmer Maria, 46, Delia, 20, teacher, Ann M, 18 teacher, John, 16, farm laborer, Merrick, 13, Susan E, 10, Caroline A, 5. All born in NY ********Note - obviously the 2 census's do not agree:Children:
|59.||Delia Eggleston||b. cira 1839|
|60.||Ann M. English||b. circa 1840|
|61*||John English||b. Mar. 27, 1842||d. May 30, 1900  |
|62*||Merritt English||b. circa 1844|
|63.||Susan E. English||b. circa 1847  |
|64.||Caroline A. English||b. 11 Mar 1850  |
(27) Julius Eggleston, son of John and Irene (Edwards) Eggleston, was born 8 Sep 1819 in Broome Co., NY, and married 21 Nov 1839, (65) Abigail Sparrow who was born 1825 in Mass.
(29) Ransom Eggleston, son of Seth and Anna (Whitney) Eggleston, was born 1809 in Triangle, Broome Co. NY, and married (66) Rhoda Blakesley. Ransom died 1870 in Tioga Co. PA.
Census Information Possibly the Ransom Eggleston listed on the 1830 census of Broome Co.
(33) Rulof Eggleston, son of Seth and Anna (Whitney) Eggleston, was born 1811 in NY, and married 1832 in Broome Co., NY, (67) Esther Unknown who was born 1814 in Broome Co., NY. Rulof died 27 Jun 1851 in Triangle, Broome Co. NY. Esther died 1918 in Elmore Minn.
Cemetery information Buried 1851 in Hazard Corner Cemetery, Triangle, Broome Co. NY
(34) Horace Eggleston, son of Seth and Anna (Whitney) Eggleston, was born 28 Sep 1817 and married before 1841, (68) Maria Monk who was born 9 Apr 1816. Horace died 13 Jun 1864 in Broome Co., NY. Maria died 9 Jul 1896. Maria was also married to John Ordway Taft, and had at least 1 child - Seymour.
Marr info: John Taft died when their son Seymour was an infant and Maria remarried Horace Eggleston, who raised Horace as his own son. He is listed as Seymour Eggleston in the 1850 and 55 census of Broome Co, NY. He is also listed on the 1855 census of Greene, Chenango Co. NY under the name of Seymour Taft. Seymour is still there in 1860, again as Seymour Taft.
|69.||Henry Eggleston||b. 13 May 1841|
|70.||George Eggleston||b. 2 May 1843|
|71*||William E. Eggleston||b. 12 Jun 1848  ||d.a     1902|
|72.||Horace Eggleston||b. 14 Oct 1850|
|73.||Amos Ransom Eggleston||b. 30 Dec 1850  ||d. 1852||  ***obviously 1 of these 2 birth dates is wrong!|
|74*||Ida Eggleston||b. 21 Feb 1853  ||d. 18 Jun 1914|
(38) Rociter Eggleston, son of Frederick and Lora (Warner) Eggleston, was born 1826 in NY, and married (75) Julia Ann English , daughter of Nathaniel and Elizabeth (Barber) English who was born in 1830. The family removed to Nebraska circa 1872. At the time of the 1865 census, the family had 5 children.
(39) Roxy Eggleston, daughter of Frederick and Lora (Warner) Eggleston, was born 1828 in NY, and died 1903 in Port Crane. He married (82) Nathaniel English , son of Nathaniel and Elizabeth (Barber) English and brother to the Julia Ann who married Roxy's brother Rociter.
(46) Joseph W. Eggleston, son of Frederick and Lora (Warner) Eggleston, was born Sep 21, 1842 in NY, and married (86) Marian D. Shipman, who was born in 1843 and died 1910.
(48) Dorcy Eggleston, son of Frederick and Lora (Warner) Eggleston, was born circa 1846/8 in NY, and died 1903 in Port Crane. He married (82) Delphine Unknown, who was born in 1851 and died in 1910.
Cemetery information- Buried in South Street Cemetery, Triangle, Broome Co. NY
(51) Merritt Eggleston, son of Harry and Pamelia (Drake) Eggleston, was born in Windsor, Broome County, in 1833 and married in 1854, (90) Jane Marshall, daughter of John J. Marshall. Jane died in 1881. After her death, Merritt remarried (91) Mrs. Emily (Hoyt) Fletcher, of Chenango county. She had 1 child by her prior marriage.
Merritt is written up in the Smith's History of Broome Co., NY on page 579:
Children (from first marriage):
|92.||John H. Eggleston|
(71) William E. Eggleston, son of Horace and Maria (Monk) Eggleston, was born 12 Jun 1848. William E's death date is unknown, but he was still alive in 1902, when he was named a legatee in the will of his half-brother, Seymour Taft.
(74) Ida Eggleston, daughter of Horace and Maria (Monk) Eggleston, was born 21 Feb 1853 and married 3 Nov 1870 in Lisle, Broome Co., NY, (95) Harry Dewitt Ingersoll, son of Stephan Ingersoll, who was born before 1855. Ida died 18 Jun 1914. Ida's half-brother, Seymour Taft also married an Ingersoll (Lottie).
Submitted by Vicki Hall Titus Email: email@example.com
Contributors to this web page include Elizabeth English and Brenda Utter.