FROM: "THE HISTORY OF CATTARAUGUS COUNTY, NEW YORK",
published 1879, edited by Franklin Ellis (Pages 381-390).
(Transcribed by Art Burch and Laura Greene)
Township 4, range 8, of the Holland Land
Company's Survey, has been known as New Albion since its erection from
Little Valley, Feb. 23, 1830. It received its name from Albion,
in Orleans County, the former home of some of the settlers of the
town. The area embraced in the present bounds is 22,988 acres of
hilly upland and small valleys along the water-courses. The
latter were formerly heavily timbered with hemlock and the common hard
woods, and were the last settled. Through the centre of the town
northward extends a plateau, upon which were fine groves of maple and
beech. About one-third of the town is yet covered with timber.
The town is well watered in the
southwest and the
west by tributaries of Connewango Creek; in the east and the north by
small streams flowing into Cattaraugus Creek, which makes a bend into
the town in its course westward; and by a number of springs, furnishing
excellent water. Good natural drainage is afforded by the
channels of these streams, and by the many vales leading towards the
Cattaraugus and the Connewango.
The soil on the uplands is a clayey loam, becoming
more or less mixed with gravel towards the valleys, where it is mostly
a sandy or a gravelly loam. The soil throughout is considered
fertile, and is especially favorable for the production of grass; and
dairying forms the chief interest or the inhabitants.
EARLY LAND-OWNERS AND SETTLERS.
The books of the Holland Land Company, in 1816,
indicated six land-owners in the present town. In 1823, land was
owned on lot 1 by Benjamin CHAMBERLAIN; on lot 9, by James GODDARD and
Jeremiah MAYBEE; on lot 10, by Jonathan KINNICUTT; on lot 18, by David
HILL and John A. KINNICUTT; on lot 19, by James REYNOLDS; on lot 33, by
Robert GUY; and on lot 62, by John KENDALL.
In 1838 the owners of improved property were
||John D. NEALY
||Homer I. NORTON
|Wm. D. CORNELL
||Daniel H. POWELL
||Joseph F. ROSS
|Joseph DE LONG
|John F. EASTON
||Amos S. SMITH
|Timothy P. GUY
||Alvah S. SMITH
|William R. GIBBS
|Alanson S. HUNTLEY
||Benjamin B. SNYDER
||John W. TOWN
|John S. HARVEY
|Samuel B. HERRICK
||Thomas J. WATERS
|John A. KINNICUTT
||Solomon G. WRIGHT
||Thomas J. WILLIAMS
||Horace C. YOUNG
A very large proportion of these land-owners were
actual settlers, and the foregoing list is valuable for showing not
only the small area of the town substantially improved forty years ago,
but gives also the names of those who endured the hardships of pioneers
in their respective localities.
THE FIRST SETTLEMENT,
as near as can be ascertained, was made by Matthew DIMMICK, in 1818, on
the southwest part of lot 57. He seems to have been a squatter
only, and made but slight improvements, removing in a few years.
The shanty built by him served the settlers as a place for shelter
until they could provide their own humble homes. The same year,
James GODARD settled on lot 9, where he soon after opened a tavern, and
lived there until about 1830. David HAMMOND settled on lot 33,
and sold his interests, in 1822, to Robert GUY, who came from Otsego
County. GUY's place was on one of the main roads to the west, and
he built a log house for a tavern, which is yet standing, but which was
not much used for this purpose. In 1818, Benjamin CHAMBERLAIN
also settled on lot 1, but did not remain in the town very long,
selling his property, in 1824, to Leicester TRACY, who was elected the
first supervisor of the town. TRACY built the first and only
stone house in the town on this place. He removed to Napoli.
In January, 1819, Jonathan KINNICUTT came from
Montgomery County and settled on lot 10. The season was unusually
mild, enabling the family to gather forest leaves to fill their bed
mattresses. About 1835, KINNICUTT again became a pioneer, this
time removing to Illinois. He built one of the first frame barns
in the town.
The following year, David HILL came from the same
county as KINNICUTT, and settled on lot 18. He removed to
Gowanda. Smith WATERMAN also came this year, or the year before,
and made a home on lot 25. This was purchased by Robert CHAMPLIN,
and WATERMAN moved to Perry.
John A. KINNICUTT, a native of Rensselaer County,
but who had gone to Livingston County, was the next New Albion pioneer,
coming with his wife and child on the 12th of January, 1821. He
had visited the country the fall before, and put up a shanty on lot 18,
into which he moved. Since 1834 he has lived on his present place
on lot 42, and he and his wife, Sophronia, are now the oldest settlers
living in town. Mr. KINNICUTT was the first town clerk, and held
that office seventeen years. He was elected to several important
offices in the old town of Little Valley; among others that of justice
of the peace, an office which he creditably filled forty years. A
son, John, was one of the supervisors of the town.
Jeremiah MAYBEE settled on lot 9, either in 1821 or
1822. His eldest son, James, was the first collector.
Horace SNYDER came with his father from Onondaga
County in 1825, and remained with him in the present town of Persia for
two years. He then settled on lot 55, living in a log house
twenty-four years, after which he built the frame house which he now
occupies. When Mr. SNYDER came to this place, his nearest
neighbors south lived four miles away, and it was two miles to a
neighbor on the north. After 1837 many settlers came to this
locality, which is now one of the finest in the town. Some of Mr.
SNYDER's brothers were early settlers on lot 47.
Wm. BUFFINGTON came from the " Old Bay State" in his
youth to Onondaga County. In the fall of 1824 he visited New
Albion, purchasing land on lot 6. The succeeding year his son,
James, came on to improve the land, and joined Timothy GOWEN, who came
from the same place, and settled on lot 5, in building a shanty which
they covered with bark. In this they lived that summer and
winter. In the early part of 1826, Wm. BUFFINGTON brought on his
family, who took up their abode in a log house without doors or
windows, in the almost unbroken forest, full of wild animals, which
occasionally came close to the cabin. The cooking was done
outdoors, in the most primitive manner. A son-in-law, Wm. TRAVIS,
settled near them. BUFFINGTON died in 1858. A son,
Jeremiah, is yet a resident of the town, and the youngest son, the Hon.
Wm. BUFFINGTON is a well-known citizen of Connewango
In this locality also settled, between 1826 and
1830, John S. HARVEY, on lot 7, who was in early times the largest
farmer in the town; Abner and Isaac WOOD, on lot 8; John ACKLEY, on lot
15; John and Isaac RICE, on lot 13; and David BUFFINGTON, on lot
14. Nearly all of these came from Onondaga County. Isaac
RICE was one of the first justices, and disappeared very mysteriously
while on a business trip down the Allegany River. The HERRICK
families, J. H. and Samuel B., settled on lot 4, about the same
time. In the southern part of the town Abram DAY made a home on
lot 34, before 1830. During Jackson's administration he was the
keeper of the light-house at Dunkirk.
Calvin HARTWELL, from Orleans County, came in the
summer of 1826, and settled on lot 46; and Robert CHAMPLIN located on
lot 33 the same year. Comfort E. SUMNER was an early settler on
lot 61. At a later day John MOSHER, from Wyoming County, came to
this locality. He left his family in the town of Leon until he
could build a house, bringing, them on in May, 1827, and for some time
they lived in a very primitive way, doing their cooking by the side of
a stump. A year later Stephen BEMIS, from the same county,
settled on lot 41; William HIGBEE, with his sons Noah and Sanford,
located on lot 46, in May; and the PEPPERDINEs on lot 56.
On lot 48, Calvin RICH, from Orleans County, made a
home in 1828, building a large log house, which soon became one of the
landmarks in this part of the town. His brother, Arad, settled a
little north of this place. Calvin RICH was one of the most
prominent men of the town, and took a deep interest in civil and
religious affairs. He had sons named Salmon, Heman, and
Charles. The latter was born on the old homestead, which he now
occupies. Calvin RICH died in 1863, but his wife, familiarly
known as Aunt Hannah, is still living, with unimpaired intellect, at
the age of ninety years.
James and Warren BARNARD came from the same county
the same year, and settled on lots 36 and 55. The latter still
lives in town. Charles SIBLEY settled on lot 44, about the same
time, and a few years later erected the first grist-mill in town; and
the ROSS and PAYNE families also became citizens of the town before
1830, coming from Oneida County.
On the 1st of April, 1829, Jacob SMITH, a poor but
enterprising young man, made a beginning on lot 54. He married
the following year, paying one dollar of the four dollars that composed
his capital to have the knot properly tied by Esquire RICH.
Neither he nor his wife had anything with which to commence
housekeeping, and it was only by exercising the greatest economy that
he was enabled to accumulate means to purchase household goods.
Mr. SMITH relates the following incident in his pioneer life: In
1836 he and his wife went to Gowanda to mill, intending to return the
same day. Darkness overtook them before the journey home was half
completed, and rain began to fall about the same time. In the
gloom, their wagon ran afoul a tree, so that they were unable to
extricate it. Nothing was left for them to do but pass the night
in the woods. They accordingly chained the oxen to a tree, and
placed the meal-bags under the wagon for a bed, the wagon-box keeping
the rain off. The woods were infested with wolves, and their
howling could be heard all night. In the morning they resumed
their journey, reaching their home safe.
Capt. Nicholas EVERTS, from Monroe County, settled
on lot 60, in 1829, and has since lived there as one of the best known
citizens of that part of the town. In 1831, James JEWELL, from
Otsego County, settled on lot 45; and a few years later Jonathan B.
JEWELL and a brother settled on lot 53. In this locality were
also Daniel H. POWELL and Thomas J. WATERS as pioneers.
Horace C. YOUNG, from Madison County, came in May,
1832, and located on lot 41, which was first improved by Stephen
BEMIS. Here he has lived ever since, holding many important
offices. He was an Assemblyman in 1849-50, and State Senator in
After 1832 many settlers found homes in New Albion,
and in a few years thereafter there were 120 improved places in town,
as will be seen from the list elsewhere given. The population in
1860 was 1597; and in 1875, 1584.
PIONEER MILLS, STORES, AND TAVERNS.
A pioneer saw-mill was built on lot 29, on the south
branch of the Cattaraugus Creek, by Mathew NEALY, some time about
1834. A few years later John JONES put up a saw-mill a short
distance from the present "WAIT" mill, which was operated about fifteen
years. William KENDALL erected a saw-mill on lot 35 at an early
day, which was operated by Solomon G. WRIGHT. The latter built a
residence near the mill, which, from its unique shape, was called by
the neighbors "Solomon's Temple."
On lot 44 Charles SIBLEY got in operation the first
grist-mill in the town, in 1836. The power was furnished by a
branch of the Connewango Creek, at that time a considerable stream, and
the mill was run about twenty years. Near this site Warren
BARNARD had a saw-mill, which was allowed to go down after a few
years. The other mills of the town are noted in connection with
the villages in which they are located.
The first tavern in town was kept on lot 1, on the
old Chautauqua road, by James GODARD, probably as early as 1820.
After GODARD's death, in 1830, this tavern was continued by Abram
MATTESON, who married the widow of the former. The first store
was kept at New Albion.
EARLY BIRTHS, MARRIAGES, AND DEATHS.
It is said that the first born in town was a mulatto
child, which lived but a few days, and was buried near the place of its
birth, a short distance east of Robert CHAMPLIN's house.
The first white children were Robin A. and Avis C.,
daughters of Jonathan and Jane KINNICUTT, who were born in April,
1819. Both these ladies remained single, and are now living in
the State of Illinois. In 1822, Leander, a son of John A. and
Sophronia KINNICUTT was born.
About 1824, Noel HOPKINS, of Little Valley, married
Sally Simmons, who had her home at Jonathan KINNICUTT's. The
ceremony was performed by a Methodist minister, and it is believed that
this was the first couple wedded in town. No other marriages took
place for several years following.
The first death of a white person was a daughter of
Noah DREW, who was buried on the roadside near CHAMPLIN's. James
GODARD died about 1830, and was one of the first adults to depart this
life in New Albion. He was interred on his farm, now owned by R.
The cemeteries of the town are maintained by
individuals in whose neighborhood they are situated, and as a general
thing are not well kept. Lately an effort has been made for their
better improvement and the establishment of a central cemetery.
The "Cattaraugus Cemetery Association" was formed
under the rural cemetery laws of the State, Aug. 9, 1875. The
trustees elected were Elisha L. JOHNSON, H. C. RICH, Henry YOUNG,
Danford RICH, Tompkins L. DE NIKE, J. P. DARLING, Wm. G. HALL, Luther
H. NORTHROP, H. W. HINMAN, L. H. MALTBIE, Jeremiah H. HERRICK, and B.
L. BABB. But nothing more than this organization of the board of
trustees has been effected by the association.
The electors assembled at the house of John A.
KINNICUTT, March 2 and 3, 1830, to hold their first annual meeting and
to elect the following officers: Supervisor, Leicester TRACY;
Town Clerk, John A. KINNICUTT; Justices, John A. KINNICUTT, Isaac RICE,
Calvin RICH, Abram DAY; Assessors, Josiah PEIRCE, Isaac RICE, William
ROSS; Collector, James MAYBEE; Constables, Timothy GUY, Noah HIGBEE,
Isaac P. WOOD, James MAYBEE; Commissioners of Highways, James
BUFFINGTON, James WILLIAMS, Arad RICH; School Commissioners, William
BUFFINGTON, William HIGBEE, Leicester TRACY; School Inspectors, Comfort
E. SUMNER, Calvin RICH, John A. KINNICUTT; Overseers of the Poor,
Robert GUY, Timothy GOWEN.
Since 1830, the principal officers of the town have
been as follows:
||John A. KINNICUTT
||Thomas J. WATERS
||John A. KINNICUTT
||John S. HARVEY
||Horace C. YOUNG
||Horace C. YOUNG
||John A. KINNICUTT
||Wm. BUFFINGTON, Jr.
||Reuben J. WATERS
||John P. DARLING
||Wm. BUFFINGTON, Jr.
||John P. DARLING
||L. H. MALTBIE
||John P. DARLING
||L. H. MALTBIE
||Elisha L. JOHNSON
||John P. DARLING
||John P. DARLING
||Bolivar R. LAMB
||John P. DARLING
||E. L. JOHNSON
||Eugene A. NASH
||Hiram M. HERRICK
||Bolivar R. LAMB
||Wm. C. MAXSON
||Tompkins I. TEN EYCK
||Eugene A. NASH
||John P. DARLING
||Marion J. RICH
||Sylvester M. COX
||Wilber J. MANLEY
||Tompkins I. TEN EYCK
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
||Comfort E. SUMNER
||John A. KINNICUTT
||Horace C. YOUNG
||John A. KINNICUTT
||Wm. C. MILLS
||John A. KINNICUTT
||John A. KINNICUTT
||George A. PAYNE
||Solomon G. WRIGHT
||John A. KINNICUTT
||Wilber F. KINNICUTT
|Elias L. MATTESON
||Wm. D. CORNELL
||John A. KINNICUTT
||Levi W. BOARDMAN
||John A. KINNICUTT
||James H. RYDER
|Solomon G. WRIGHT
||Wm. D. CORNELL
||Salmon L. JOHNSON
|Levi W. BOARDMAN
||Pliny L. FOX
||Salmon L. JOHNSON
THE TOWN RECORDS
contain several items of interest. In 1830, it was voted that
cattle be free commoners, and that a lawful fence be four and a half
feet high. In 1849, "Resolved, That there be a bounty
paid of one shilling per head on all the crows killed in the town till
the 10th of June next. In 1860, "Resolved, That the
Dog Money of 1864, - $64.30, - now on hand, be used by the supervisor
to pay to the Military Bureau of the State, for the purpose of
erecting, a hall to preserve military records, etc."
In I871 the meeting protested against any
appropriation to reimburse any parties for expenses contracted in the
erection of the county buildings at Little Valley, and instructed the
supervisor of the town to oppose every proposition to levy any tax
designed to cover expenses contracted in the removal of the county-seat.
At various times during the Rebellion special
meetings were held, but no record of the proceedings has been preserved.
Most of the roads of the town were early located,
many while the town was yet a part of Little Valley. One of the
best known highways is the "Old Chautauqua Road." It enters the
town at the southeast corner, and passes through it westwardly,
following the highlands. It is a very hilly road, and has been
less frequently used since the lowlands have been settled and new roads
located through the valleys. From being mere bridle-paths, the
other roads have been improved generally to an excellent condition, and
easy communication is now afforded in every direction.
At the first town-meeting, nine road districts were
formed, with the following overseers: Robert CHAMPLIN, Linus
SUTLIFF, John DREW, Elijah DREW, Jr., John MOSHER, Josiah PEIRCE, Isaac
RICE, John PETERSON, and Timothy GOWEN. In 1878 there were 56
In 1851 the New York and Erie Railroad was completed
through the town, giving it direct communication with Dunkirk and
eastern cities. It greatly appreciated the value of real estate,
and affords good shipping facilities at its station, - Cattaraugus.
CREAMERIES AND CHEESE-FACTORIES.
The BIGELOW Creamery, at New Albion, is in a factory
erected about 1867 by ROBINSON & SPORE. It is a three-story
frame 40 by 100 feet, with an ell 30 by 60, and is well supplied with
pure water. The manufacture of cheese was here carried on until
1875, when RUSH & Co. changed it to a creamery. Since the
season of 1878 it has been operated by W. J. BIGELOW, under the
superintendence of E. LAWRENCE. The milk of 350 cows is used,
yielding about 800 pounds of butter per week. The churning is
done by a 12 horse-power engine.
The Cattaraugus Cheese-Factory occupies buildings
formerly used as a sash-factory, and was adapted to this purpose by
ROBINSON & SPORE about 1870. There are two rooms, 35 by 60
feet, supplied with 3 vats. Nine thousand pounds of milk are
consumed daily in the product of 10 60-pound cheeses. The factory
has 40 patrons, and is carried on by RUSH & PERKINS.
The W J. MANLEY Factory, No, 2, in the SNYDER
neighborhood, was erected in 1873 by Asa PRITCHARD. There is a
main building 20 by 40 feet, and a wing, containing two vats, in which
6000 pounds of milk are used daily in the manufacture of cream
cheese. The factory has 16 patrons.
Eben SIBLEY's Creamery and Cheese-Factory, on lot 9,
uses the milk of 275 cows, and produces 9 cheeses per day, and butter
of an excellent quality. The factory buildings are neat and well
Lemuel Jenks' Cheese-Factory is a private
establishment, whose product is about 5 cream cheeses a day.
In addition to the foregoing, there are a number of
private dairies in town. In 1874 the product of butter made in
families was 84,489 pounds.
This hamlet, locally known as Horth's Corners, is
situated near the centre of the town, and contains two stores, a hotel,
post-office, a cheese-factory, a lumber manufacturing establishment,
several mechanic shops, and about 75 inhabitants. It is the
oldest business point in the town, and was formerly the seat of an
active trade. Here was opened the first store, in 1833, by
Erastus HORTH. A few years later Mr. HORTH erected the building
on the corner of the principal streets for a tavern, which he kept a
long time. After Mr. HORTH's retirement from this place, Thad.
CORNELL kept the house. Other landlords were John KINNICUTT, J.
B. JEWELL, D. CLARK, Chauncy COE, S. HUBBELL, W. F. ROSS, and P.
McCOON, the present proprietor.
HORTH & WHITCOMB opened a good store at the
village, some time before 1840, in a building which, in a repaired
condition, is yet used by L. D. HILL as a storeroom. Solon
SPENCER, Byron GRAHAM, WHITCOMB & HORTH followed the first-named
firm. The latter also had an extensive pearl-ash-factory.
At a later period H. PARKER and John DAVIS were in trade in this
A second store was opened by John KINNICUTT, in a
building erected by him, and which for many years has been occupied for
mercantile purposes by Jerome ANDREWS.
The post-office was established some time before
1833, with A. HORTH as postmaster. John A. KINNICUTT was one of
the first mail carriers from Gowanda to Ellenburgh going on foot and
Besides Mr. HORTH, the postmasters have been George
WARDEN, Solomon G. WRIGHT, John A. KINNICUTT, John R. WESCOTT, J. B.
JEWELL, Francis ALLEN, Jerome ANDREWS, George HUNTON, and L. D.
HILL. There is a tri-weekly mail from Cattaraugus.
About 1845 a man named BRONSON operated a tannery at
this place, in a building the lower story of which is stone.
After it was abandoned the upper story was fitted up for a hall, in
which were held the meetings of the Good Templars and Sons of
Temperance. It is now a dwelling-house.
THE NEW ALBION CHEESE-BOX FACTORY, SAW- AND
M. & M. W. COOK, proprietors, were established in 1876. The
main building is 42 by 88 feet, two stories high, with an addition 45
by 20 feet. The power is supplied by a good 30 horse-power engine.
20,000 cheese-boxes are manufactured annually, and
the capacity of the saw-mill is 800,000 feet per annum. The
grinding capacity of the feed-mill is 30 bushels per hour. Hands
This pleasant and thriving village is in the
northern part of the town, eight miles from Little Valley, on the Erie
Railroad. A station was here located in May, 1851, and Horatio
BABB appointed agent, a position which he held until his death,
twenty-four years later. In 1830 this locality was an unbroken
wilderness, but that year Horace SNYDER made a clearing of six acres on
the present village site, manufacturing potash from the timber he cut
down. His ashery stood just below the "Cattaraugus House," where
Mr. DARLING's residence now is.
When the railroad was located through here, Joseph
PLUMB, of Gowanda who owned a large tract of land in this part of the
town, platted that part of his farm on the hill-side facing south for a
village to be founded on temperance principles. In the conveyance
of the lots there was a "condition subsequent," by the terms of which
the title should be forfeited if intoxicating liquors were sold as a
beverage on the premises, and the property to revert to PLUMB or his
heirs. The plan proved favorable, and the village grew rapidly,
arousing the avarice of men interested in the liquor traffic, who
regarded it as a favorable place for the prosecution of their
trade. But the sentiment in favor of the prohibitory clause was
so strong that it was respected a number of years. At length a
man named TUBBS bought a lot, on which he built a shop and commenced
selling liquor, in open violation of the restraining clause in his deed
to the real estate on which his shop stood. Persisting in his
course against the entreaties of Mr. PLUMB, the latter determined to
test the validity of his assumed right, and secured an action of
ejectment to enforce the condition of the deed and recover the
lot. The friends of TUBBS abetted him, and urged him to resist to
the extent of the law. Issue was taken, and the cause was tried
before the Cattaraugus Circuit Court. The jury failed to agree,
and the matter was again submitted to a subsequent court, which gave a
verdict, subject to the opinion of the court at general term, resulting
in a verdict for Mr. PLUMB. The defendant carried the case to the
Court of Appeals, which, in December, 1869, affirmed the judgment of
the Supreme Court, sustaining Mr. PLUMB in his purpose to create a
village where liquor should not be sold, and forming a very important
precedent which will enable a community to protect itself from the
evils and burdens occasioned by the liquor traffic. Since then no
open attempt has been made to sell liquor, and intemperance has not
been able to obtain a foothold in the place.
It play be here noted that Mr. PLUMB generously
deeded the reverted property to the family of the defendant, who had
burdened himself in his efforts to overthrow this principle, and that
before his death he ceded all his interest in forfeited lands to the
Congregational Church of Otto. *
* Joseph PLUMB was born in Oneida County in 1792,
and became a merchant at Paris, his native place, while quite
young. In 1816 he moved to Fredonia, and in 1827 to Gowanda,
where he engaged with his brother Ralph in trade, and resided there
until 1854. He early became a reformer - avowing himself an
abolitionist - and a temperance man, although formerly engaged in the
traffic of liquor. He was an elder of the Presbyterian Church and
an active member of that body. In 1850 he purchased the farm at
Cattaraugus, to which he moved in 1854. Here he worked zealously
for the best interests of the place, and for the welfare of mankind at
large, until his death, May 25, 1870. Several of his sons became
distinguished clergymen, and another has filled important civil
positions under the national government.
The first residence erected in Cattaraugus was that
of Heman RICH, and which has since been occupied by him. Dr.
Alson LEAVENWORTH erected the first and only brick house, about
1854. "DARLING's Hall," a large and comfortable place for public
meetings, was erected in 1875. The village was once visited by a
tornado and suffered from two fires, but has made a substantial growth,
and at present contains about 500 inhabitants. Its
principal interests and enterprises are detailed in the following
pages. The place has several fine residences, two good churches,
- Methodist and Roman Catholic, - and a fine union school.
The manufacturing interests of the village have
attained considerable prominence, and embrace the following
The Cattaraugus Steam, Flour- and Saw-Mills, which
were erected in 1858, by Joseph PLUMB, for the "Cattaraugus Steam-Mill
Company," are among the most notable enterprises in the place.
The articles of association forming the "Mill Company," bear date Feb.
18, 1857, and are signed by S. L. JOHNSON, Joseph PLUMB, Enos AUSTIN,
M. K. WILSON, Hiram RUMSEY, L. D. BOTTSFORD and L. H. MALTBIE. S.
L. JOHNSON was for many years president of the company, which disposed
of its interests in the mills about 1860. The original cost was
$8000. The motive power is furnished by an 80 horse-power engine,
and the machinery gives the mills capacity to grind 400 bushels of
grain per day, and cut 3000 feet of lumber every ten hours. At
present they are the property of S. L. & E. L. JOHNSON, who have
materially improved them. These gentlemen are also general
dealers in lumber, and operate planing- and matching-machines, etc., in
connection with their saw-mills. At the same place George P.
WALTER is associated with them in the manufacture of fork- and
hoe-handles, cheese-boxes, and in carrying on a large cooperage.
The Cattaraugus Tannery was built in 1857 by Martin
and Addison HARDENBERG, and was operated by them eight years. In
1865, Christopher MOENCH became the proprietor, and soon after
associated with him GAENSSLEN Brothers, of Chicago, under the firm-name
of C. MOENCH & Co., who are yet the owners.
The tannery embraces several extensive buildings,
containing 50 liquor vats, and are supplied with improved
machinery. The required power is supplied by the small stream on
which it is located, in the eastern part of the village, and a 55
horse-power engine, the fires of which are fed on the refuse bark of
About 22,0000 hides are hemlock-tanned for sole
leather per year, which gives employment to 12 men.
The Common-Sense Milk-Pan Factory, OAKES &
CALVER, proprietors, in the southern part of the village, was
established in 1873. It occupies a large building, enabling the
production of a great quantity of work annually. The pans are the
invention of T. S. OAKES, and were patented Jan. 28, 1873. They
are arranged in sets of 4 pans, holding from 8 to 100 gallons of milk,
which rest on zinc-lined wooden vats, through which a stream of water
is passed in such a manner that the milk is completely surrounded by
water, which quickly reduces it to a temperature for the favorable
production of cream, and completely removes the offensive animal odor
which is sometimes connected with milk. The pans have been warmly
commended by dairy-men, and their use in this section has become quite
The same firm also manufacture scale boards for
packing cheese, and have the only establishment of the kind in the
State. The product in 1878 was 4,000,000 boards of the diameter
of an ordinary cheese. The firm gives employment to 12 men.
In the same building the Cattaraugus Fruit Package
Company carries on the manufacture of all kinds of baskets and crates
for packing small fruits. The product of the factory is shipped
to western and southern markets.
J. H. RYDER's Furniture-Factory was established in
1859, in a building on the corner of Main and Waverly Streets, which
was destroyed by fire Oct. 2, 1875. In March, 1878, Mr. RYDER
re-established his factory in the southern part of the village, in a
lumber-mill erected in 1875 by Chauncy JONES. The motive power is
steam, from a 40 horse-power engine, which drives a large circular saw,
capable of cutting several thousand feet of lumber per day, and
machinery especially designed for the manufacture of bedsteads and
extension-tables. Nine men are employed.
At the same place is the Cattaraugus Chair-Factory,
removed to this place from Salamanca in the fall of 1878, by B. H.
HALE. Several excellent patterns are produced, among the leading
ones being "The Old Arm" and "The Mother's Own Chair." For
comfort and durability these chairs are seldom equaled. Mr. HALE
is also a large manufacturer of foot-stools and piano-stools.
A short distance west of the village is Amrose
SNYDER's Furniture-Factory, established several years ago by Hiram
BLAKELY. The works have grown from a small beginning to an
establishment of considerable business. The motor is steam, and
the number of hands employed, 8.
ROSS' Carriage-Works were established in 1873 by the
present proprietor, A. A. ROSS. They occupy several shops, and
have a fine salesroom on South Street, near Waverly Street. Six
men are employed in the different shops.
In addition to the foregoing, the place has a number
of good mechanic shops, common to a country village, in which 8 or 10
men are engaged.
On the brook, in the eastern part of the village,
Anson SMITH erected a sash- and blind-factory soon after the village
was founded, where a large amount of work was done, and which was
continued a dozen years or more. In 1870 the buildings were
converted into a cheese-factory, at present operated by RUSH &
Below the tannery, on a branch of the Cattaraugus
Creek, is L. RICH's shingle-mill, having a capacity of 200,000 shingles
a year; and yet farther below is the " WAIT" Saw-mill, erected in 1865
by Leroy RICH, and operated since 1871 by Jesse WAIT. Here is a
water-power of 14 feet fall, which propels machinery to cut 2000 feet
of lumber a day.
A mile north from this point, on the Cattaraugus
Creek, a mill was built many years ago by a man named CAMP. About
1860, David CARTER became the owner and enlarged the business, adding
planing- and matching-machines. At a later period C. & H.
CARTER owned and operated this mill.
STORES AND HOTELS.
As early as 1836, John JONES was in trade in a small
way near where the village of Cattaraugus now is. His store was
in a small frame house which stood near the site of Clark HOLMES'
residence, but which was moved south on the " flats," and is now the
home of Henry HYSLOP. But the first regular store in the place
was opened in May, 1851, by ELLIOTT & JOHNSON, in connection with
their store at Otto. Since 1860, S. L. & E. L. JOHNSON have
been in trade at this stand, and rank among the leading business men of
the northern part of the county. The same year, 1851, L. A.
MALTBIE, clothier, came, and still continues. In the fall of 1852
the firm of DARLING & WILSON, merchants at Otto, established a
trade which is yet carried on by DARLING & STRAIGHT. Mr. J.
P. DARLING, the senior member of the firm, besides being a successful
business man, served his county as State Senator.
Among other former merchants at this place were
Hiram RUMSEY, L. D. BOTTSFORD, A. E. LEAVENWORTH, James FERRIS,
Nathaniel CHRISTIE, TUTTLE & TAYLOR, and T. BABB, and in addition
to these already mentioned as being in trade, N. HIGBEE, L. PHILLIPS,
J. B. COTRAEL, HOAG & NORTHRUP, H. C. RICH & Co., J. BORGIES,
and W. J. HARKNESS are among the principal merchants.
In the fall of 1852, Enos AUSTIN came from Otto and
established himself as a dealer in dairy and farm produce. He
made the first shipment of cheese by railroad from this point that
year, and engaged so actively in this branch of trade that Cattaraugus
became an excellent market for butter and cheese. The produce
business is now carried on by W. J. MANLEY.
Wm. BUFFINGTON kept the first public-house, in 1851,
in the building which, in a remodeled condition, is now known as the
"Cattaraugus House." This was the first frame building in the
place. Besides Mr. BUFFINGTON, P. WOODRUFF, J. H. OYER, and
Eugene WESCOTT have here served as landlords. In the same
vicinity O. CHASE opened and kept a tavern many years, which is now
known as the "J. L. CLARK House."
POST-OFFICE, BANK, AND THE PROFESSIONS.
The Cattaraugus post-office was established in 1851,
with S. L. JOHNSON postmaster. His successors have been O. W.
TUBBS, C. H. COTRAEL, G. STRAIGHT, L. H. MALTBIE, and S. L.
JOHNSON. In October, 1877, it became a money-order office, and is
the distributing office for the mails of Otto, Springville, and other
eastern points, and Leon in the west.
The "Cattaraugus Banking Company," organized in
1869, conducts business as a private institution. M. G. ELLIOTT
is the acting president. The bank is in the DARLING Block.
A Dr. BROWN was the first to locate in the village
as a physician, remaining but a few years. Dr. Wm. F. UNDERWOOD,
a botanical practitioner, came next. Drs. ACKLEY, ALLEN, and
DEVOE were also in practice; and Drs. BABCOCK and G. LATTIN at present
represent the profession in the village.
The veteran Dr. Alson LEAVENWORTH removed to this
place after 1851, and lived here until his death, but did not practice
Pliny L. FOX was the first attorney. He was
also elected a magistrate, and conducted his court with the utmost
regard for the dignity of the law. Elias L. MATTESON came soon
after FOX. George STRAIGHT came in 1862, and is yet a
counselor. E. A. NASH was here from 1867 to 1874; and since 1873,
Hiram L. HERRICK has here practiced law; and T. J. FARRAR is a general
The publication of the Cattaraugus Gazette was begun
some time in 1877, by J. S. FIDLER, as a Republican sheet. In
August, 1878, the paper was removed to Salamanca to advocate the cause
of the National party.
The "Arizona Milling and Mining Company," organized
July 25, 1878, has an office at Cattaraugus, and mines in Yuma Co.,
The directors chosen were A. W. FERRIN, B. B. WEBER,
P. H. GRAVES, E. L. JOHNSON, M. G. ELLIOTT, T. J. FARRAR, F. S. OAKES,
Wm. CALVER, and P. D. BARNHART. A. W. FERRIN was elected
president of the company, and B. B. WEBER superintendent of the mines.
SOCIETIES AND SECRET ORDERS.
A lodge of Odd Fellows formerly existed in the
village, having been removed here from Otto. The meetings were
held in the Davis Block, which was burned in 1874. But the lodge
had gone down many years before. Several lodges of Good Templars
have also disbanded.
Cattaraugus Council, No. 41, Royal Templars of
Temperance, was instituted March 2, 1878. It is a beneficiary
organization, exacting a temperate life on the part of its members as
being likely to reduce the death losses. The order also affords
assurance against sickness, and in case of disability the insured can
receive one-half of his policy, $1000, in installments, as a means of
support, the remaining $1000 to be paid at death.
Cattaraugus Council, No. 35, contains members of
both sexes, and has for its principal officers, S. L. JOHNSON, P. C.;
L. H. NORTHRUP, C.; and F. S. OAKES, S.
Cattaraugus Lodge, No. 57, A. O. U. W., was
organized Jan. 11, 1877, with Thomas BABB, P. M. W.; George P. WALTERS,
M. W.; William A. COX, G. F.; A. L. PALMER, O.; M. F. LENOX, R.; Daniel
KAVENAUGH, Rec.; Edgar FULLER, G.; William WEIDNER, L. W.; Caleb VAN
GORDEN, O. W.; W. A. COX, A. L. PALMER, Daniel KAVENAUGH, Trustees; and
Dr. George LATTIN, Medical Examiner.
There is also in the village a temple of the Knights
of Honor, concerning which no definite information has been received.
were taught in the town as soon as the settlements were strong enough
to maintain them. The first was kept in a log house, which stood
on lot 10, in the summer of 1823, by John ALLEN, a Scotchman.
Among the pupils were the children of Jonathan KINNICUTT and David
HILL. Soon after another school was taught at New Albion Centre,
and still another in the RICH neighborhood. In 1826, Francis
WINCHESTER kept a school in the BUFFINGTON Settlement, in a log shanty
which was covered with split logs, and which was regarded as a very
comfortable place for those times.
The town is at present provided with fair school
buildings, and good schools are generally maintained. The
school-house at Cattaraugus was erected in 1852, and is a good
two-story frame structure. The enrollment of pupils is nearly
200, and 3 teachers are employed. Prof. E. J. SWIFT has been the
principal for the past two years.
Oct. 29, 1878, the Union Free-School system was
adopted, and a board of education elected, composed of J. L. HIGBEE, T.
L. DENIKE, F. S. OAKES, C. MOENCH, and J. S. GIBBS.
The town, by the report of 1878, contained eight
school districts, with eight school-houses, which, with sites, are
valued at $4000, and having 185 volumes in library valued at $75.
Nine teachers were employed, to whom was paid $2505.50. The
number of children of school age was 475, and the average daily
attendance was 251 695/10000; number of weeks taught was 220 1/5;
amount of public money received, $1143.44; amount received from tax,
The Methodists were the first to hold regular
meetings in town. About 1827 a class was organized on SNYDER Hill
by the Rev. Joseph S. BARRIA, at that time the preacher on the
Forestville circuit, having among its members Horace SNYDER's family,
Silas KELLOGG, Rufus PEIRCE, Samuel KENDALL, etc. The meetings
were held at SNYDER's house until after Calvin RICH settled here and
built a larger house, when they were held at the latter's place several
years. The quarterly meetings were held in barns belonging to
RICH and to George SNYDER, living north from here in the town of
Persia. Subsequently the meetings were held in the school-house,
and the pioneer ministers were Revs. Samuel AYRES, James GILMORE, R.
PLIMPTON, David PRESTON, Samuel E. BABCOCK, N. HENRY, John K. HALLECK,
J. H. JACKETT, S. GREGG, and others.
Occasional Methodist services are still held in this
locality, although the greater part of the interest has been absorbed
by the church at Cattaraugus.
In 1832 another Methodist class was formed at New
Albion Centre, its members having been the WRIGHTs, DAVISes, BARNARDs,
DAYs, etc. Eber WRIGHT was a local preacher and a very active
member. In time an effort was made to build a house of worship at
this point, and work was done to the extent of laying a
foundation. The removal of members had so much weakened the class
that the purpose had to be abandoned at this stage.
About 1840 a Free-Will Baptist society was formed in
the eastern part of the town, holding its meetings in the school-house,
on lot 6. Among other members were Samuel and Heman GREEN, and
George BABCOCK, the latter being a local preacher. Rev. Joseph
DAVIS occasionally preached here. The loss of members by removal
caused the society to disband in eight or ten years.
About this time the Christians held meetings in the
log school-house northeast of the village of Cattaraugus, and many of
the Baptists joined this church. Elders LEE, COOK, DAVIS, and
WALDON were among the ministers who statedly preached here. This
society also went down after a few years.
The Methodists held services in the school-house at
Cattaraugus soon after its erection, in connection with the work in the
western part of the town. On the 8th of January, 1857, "the
Cattaraugus Methodist Episcopal Society" was duly incorporated, and
Arad RICH, L. D. BOTSFORD, Spencer RICH, Danford RICH, and Ephraim Ford
chosen trustees. A frame meeting-house was erected, at a cost of
$2500, for the society by H. C. YOUNG, and used in that condition until
1874, when it was remodeled and made more attractive. It occupies
an eligible site, and is reported worth $3000. There is also a
good parsonage, valued at $2000, donated by Anson SMITH. The
society has also received a benefaction from Mrs. Mary RICH.
On the 4th of April, 1877, the title of the society
was changed to that of "The Methodist Episcopal Society of the village
of Cattaraugus." The trustees chosen were Morris J. HOVEY, Wm. G.
HALL, Charles J. RICH, Norman HIGBEE, and Hiram RUMSEY. The
church has enjoyed a fair degree of prosperity, and at present has 62
members, under the pastoral care of the Rev. S. S. BURTON.
There is a Sunday-school having 130 members,
superintended by A. A. ROSS, connected with the church, and a library
of 300 volumes is maintained.
THE ST. MARY'S CHURCH AND SOCIETY (ROMAN
OF CATTARAUGUS VILLAGE
was incorporated Dec. 12, 1863, according to the act of April 5,
1863. The trustees were John TIMON, Bishop of Buffalo; F. N.
LESTER, Vicar-General; John BAUDNELLI, Pastor, residing at Dunkirk;
Stephen O'DONNELL, John GORDON, Lay Members.
A plain but substantial frame church was erected
west of the depot, in which worship is held statedly by a nonresident
priest in connection with other places on his parish.
JOHN P. DARLING is a native of Berkshire CO., Mass. He was born
on the 25th of February, 1815. His father, Rufus Darling, emigrated to
New York in 1818, and settled in the town of Lenox, in Madison County.
He was a practical farmer, and removed to Cattaraugus County in 1824,
where he resided till 1828, when he died at Black Rock, Erie Co., N.
Y., while absent from home, at the age of forty-seven. His wife, Prudy
Lee, the mother of the subject of this sketch, died in July, 1873, aged
eighty-six years. Her family was from Wales, and her husband was of
John P. Darling received all his education in an old log school-house
in the town of Otto, where his parents resided. He advanced in
arithmetic as far as the single rule of three, and was taught to about
the same extent in some of the more ordinary English branches of common
school. At the age of thirteen, after his father's death, he remained
at home with his mother, working out occasionally for himself, until he
was about sixteen years old, when he employed himself on the Allegany
River as a raftsman. In the spring of 1831 he descended the river in
this capacity to the Ohio, and thence to Louisville, Kentucky, cooking
his own board and using the soft side of a plank for his bed. In the
fall of 1831 he went on to Grand Island, in the Niagara River, where he
spent the most of the winter in cutting cord-wood. In the spring of
1833 he hired himself out to work on a farm in Otto, Cattaraugus
County, where he remained a. large proportion of the time till 1834,
when he became a clerk in the store of C. B. Allen, in the village of
Waverly, New York. Here he remained about four years, when he went into
the mercantile trade as a partner with Win. F. Elliott, in the same
village, and continued the copartnership until 1848, when he embarked
in the same business on his own responsibility. In 1851 he started a
branch store at Cattaraugus, on the New York and Erie Railroad, and in
1853 sold out at Waverly and removed to Cattaraugus, where he now
resides, and where lie followed the mercantile trade till 1856, when be
disposed of his business altogether.
In 1837 he was elected inspector of elections in the town of Otto, and
held the place for several years. In 1838 he was elected town clerk,
and held the office at different .periods for several years. In 1845 he
was elected supervisor of Otto, which position he held for a number of
terms. He was subsequently elected to the same office where he now
resides. In 1850 he was appointed postmaster of Otto, under President
Taylor, and held the office during Taylor's and Fillmore's
administrations. In 1851 he was elected treasurer of Cattaraugus
County, and held the office three years. In the fall of 1856 he was
elected a member of the State Senate, by a majority of eight thousand,
from the Thirty-second district to fill the unexpired term of Hon.
Roderick White, who died in the spring of that year. He was again
nominated by the Republican party in 1857 for the same position, and
was elected to the Senate by a majority of nearly four thousand. Was
elected chairman of the board of supervisors at their annual session in
1860, and also in 1861 ; also at a special session of March, 1867; was
appointed State assessor in the spring of 1864; served for that year
Ex-Senator Darling has been somewhat of a politician, and very early in
life identified himself with the Free-Soil Whigs. He has always been
strongly free-soil in all his views and feelings, but never failed to
act with the Whig party while it had an organization. Shortly after the
American party came into existence he became a member, and was
president of a lodge at Cattaraugus, New York; but coming to the
conclusion that the organization was designed for pro-slavery objects
and to kill, politically, Wm. H. Seward, he abandoned the organization,
and the lodge or council of which he was president went out of being.
In 1856 he took the stump for General Fremont, and since then he has
been emphatically a Republican, voting for Horace Greeley as the
embodiment of the principles of the party.
Ex-Senator Darling was married, in the fall of 1838, to Abiah
Strickland, by whom he has two children,-daughters, both of whom are
married and reside in the village of Cattaraugus New York. The eldest,
Helen J., married George Straight, who is an attorney at law. The
youngest, Martha E., married M. G. Elliott, who is a private banker.
John P. Darling of New Albion
Henry Young, father of Horace C., was born in Martha's Vineyard, Mass.,
in the year 1775. His father, also named Henry, came from Scotland ; he
was a graduate of Edinburgh University, and was a teacher the greater
portion of his life. He married Lydia Ross, a native of Martha's
Vineyard. Henry Young, Jr., was a builder and architect. In his
eighteenth year he removed to Williamstown, Mass., where he married
Philena Kellogg, rearing a family of twelve children,-Electa A.,
Evelina E., Columbus K., Horace C., Caroline E., Sophia P., Eugene W.,
Julia A., Nancy, Mary H., Melinda M., and William C.,-of whom Sophia,
Julia, Melinda, William, and the subject of this notice are still
living. The parents are both deceased,-Henry Young, Jr., having died in
March, 1852, and his wife in 1865. They died at Fenner, N. Y., to which
place they had emigrated from Massachusetts.
Horace C. Young, son of the above, was born, Aug. 28, 1806, in the town
of Smithfield (now Fenner), and there attended the district school
until twelve years of age. At the age of sixteen he commenced working
at the builder's trade with his father, following that occupation for
several years, with occasional seasons employed in farm labor at home,
and in chopping cord-wood. Jan. 19, 1831, he married Laura P., daughter
of Gideon and Barbara (Olin) Walker, their family consisting of one son
and five daughters, viz., Helen P., Laura P., Caroline E., Louisa E.,
Mary Z., and Horace Olin. Mrs. Young was a native of Cazenovia, N. Y.,
and her father lost his life in the defense of Fort Niagara, in the war
In the spring of 1832, Mr. Young sold his small farm, and removed to
Cattaraugus County, where he bought the "chance" on a tract of
fifty-eight and a half acres of land, on which was a log shanty, roofed
with bark, and having neither door nor window. During the succeeding
years he worked upon his farm, making improvements, and in the erection
of frame residences and barns for John Merchant, Isaac Dow, and Daniel
Nichols, of Napoli ; Elijah Woods, in Stockton ; a school-house in the
Curtis District, and a Baptist Church, etc. He was elected a justice of
the peace in 1833, and in 1843 was elected supervisor of New Albion; be
then leased his farm, tools up his residence in New Albion Centre,
where be had purchased a house and lot, and worked at his trade in the
village. Two years later he sold his village property, and moved back
upon his farm.
In the fall of 1848 he was elected in a triangular contest to the
Assembly of the State of New York, and much was due to his
indefatigable efforts in defeating the scheme to make Buffalo the
western terminus of the Erie Railroad, and in securing its direction
through Cattaraugus County, with Dunkirk as its terminus, instead. In
1851 he built the railroad buildings at Cattaraugus, and later was in
the employ (in the mechanical department) of the Buffalo and New York
Central Railroad, from 1852 to 1854. The succeeding years he was
engaged in contracting and building in New Albion and vicinity until
1861, when he was elected to the State Senate, serving there until
1864. The latter year he built the Methodist Episcopal Church at
Cattaraugus, and in 1868 had charge of the erection of the County House
at Machias. During all these years he erected also numberless
residences, barns, bridges, etc. May 2, 1873, he, being in his
sixty-seventh year, received a stroke of apoplexy, which prevented his
further indulgence in manual labor. Notwithstanding his physical
infirmities, in 1874 he took a journey of three thousand miles.
Although physically disabled, he suffers but little, and spends most of
his time in reading, writing, and overseeing his farm.
Mr. Young has led a very active and useful life. He had his full share
of official honors, and discharged their several duties faithfully. He
was school commissioner ten years; justice of the peace, assessor, and
commissioner of deeds for about four years; supervisor, seven years;
member of Assembly and of the State Senate for two years each. And now,
in his seventy-third year, he has a consciousness of having faithfully
performed all his trusts, political and social, and has an abiding
faith in the future.
Honorable Horace C. Young of New Albion
|Mr. and Mrs. Christopher Moench of
Residence and Tannery of Chirstopher Moench
was born in Litchfield Co., Conn., in October, 1788. He enjoyed
the meagre privileges of the common schools of New England.
During the summer season his time was employed on the farm with his
father until he was of age. He then commenced the study of
medicine, which he pursued until May, 1811, when he was licensed to
practice in his native State. After a year's experience, he felt
the necessity of more thorough preparation for the successful practice
of his profession.
Accordingly, in the autumn of 1812, Dr. LEAVENWORTH
journeyed to Philadelphia, and entered as a student in the University
of Medicine, in which the eminent Dr. Benjamin RUSH was one of the
professors; and it was the good fortune of the young doctor to be of
the class that attended his last course of lectures in the University.
Graduating in the spring of 1813, he returned to
Connecticut, and resumed practice. Soon after he received the
appointment of surgeon in the State militia, and was ordered into the
service of the United States.
In consequence of the dispute between the general
government and the State authorities, regarding the right of each to
appoint the general and regimental officers in command of the State
militia while in the service of the United States, Dr. LEAVENWORTH did
not see actual service.
In the few years following the war of 1812, the
attention of the young men of the State of Connecticut was turned to
the territory west of Pennsylvania, known as "New Connecticut," and in
the spring of 1818, Dr. LEAVENWORTH decided to emigrate thither.
A large covered wagon was loaded with the necessary outfit and drawn by
oxen. The young doctor and his wife bade farewell to home and
friends, and began the long and tedious journey. In four weeks
they arrived at Batavia, where they halted to rest and recruit the
oxen. While sojourning there the doctor became acquainted with
the agent of the Holland Land Company, and being interested in land and
meeting persons from different parts of the "Purchase," and from
representations made of the abundance and quality of the timber and
excellence of the soil in Cattaraugus County, he was persuaded to
examine it himself. After a tedious journey of about a week with
his ox-team through the almost unbroken wilderness, they reached the
village of Ellicottville on the 25th of September, 1818. The
village then consisted of the public square, the land-office, a tavern,
and a few log houses.
He filled many important public offices. In
1823 he was appointed First Judge of the County Courts of Cattaraugus,
Jan. 25, 1823, which office he held for ten years, and was succeeded by
Judge CHAMBERLAIN. He was one of the committee to superintend the
erection of the county buildings at Ellicottville, and commissioner of
loans, also commissioner to lay out public roads on the Indian
reservation. He was instrumental in procuring from the Holland
Land Company an entire surrender of accumulated interest on land
contracts, held by them against the early settlers, and was also one of
the original founders of the Randolph Academy. In the year 1831
he removed from Ellicottville to Little Valley, and subsequently to
Cattaraugus Station, in the town of New Albion, where he passed the
remainder of his days.
Alson Leavenworth of New Albion
was born in the county of Saratoga, State of New York, the 25th of May,
1797. His father died when our subject was a mere child; too
young, indeed, to have any remembrance of him. He was a farmer,
and upon the home farm young GIBBS received his education, and passed
his youth and early manhood. There, also, he was married, June 8,
1817, to Miss Sally MIX. He subsequently removed (about the year
1827) to Wayne Co., N. Y., thence to the county of Orleans, from
whence, in 1834, he emigrated to this county, settling in the town of
New Albion, upon the farm now occupied by his son, John S. GIBBS.
He was a hard-working and enthusiastic farmer, and all the improvements
upon his place were the result of his own labor. Mr. GIBBS,
although no aspirant for political office, was assessor of the town of
New Albion for several years. Although holding no political
office by which to distinguish himself in the annals of the town and
county, he is justly entitled to be enrolled among the many sturdy
yeomen who have lived here, did their part, and then passed away,
leaving to their descendants visible results in broad acres,
comfortable homes, and all the advantages of an enlightened
society. He died Aug. 16, 1865, and his remains repose in the
Snyder Hill cemetery, along with those of his wife, who departed June
23, 1849. Of the eight children of William and Sally GIBBS (viz.:
Isaac, Elisha, Norman, Emeline, William, John S., Philemon, and Sally)
two only are living at the date of this writing, - Isaac and John S.
|A. L. GIBBS of New Albion
| WILLIAM R. GIBBS of New Albion