Submitted originally Jan. 1, 1977
by Edith John Daly
Prepared for electronic format
by Artha Carahan Nichols
Veterans Buried in Horseshoe Cemetery found below on this page
Interesting facts about some of the cemetery's residents at the bottom of this page
John Titus No Dates
132 Reg't N.Y.S. Inf. Vol.
Charles Jemison 1841-1907
12th N.Y. State Vol.
Spencer W. Pierce May 1, 1910 - December 18, 1953
New York P.F.C.
1209 SVG Comd Unit
World War II
Lyman Pierce 1843-1924
Co. M. Mounted Rifles
Crouse, Charles Archer, was born blind. He received special training as a pianist and piano tuner. His handicap did not prevent him from travelling and enjoying life, especially his music. He was a baptized Catholic.
Cooper, Leo Clifton, was
President of the Seneca Nation of Indians from 1954-1956, also served several
terms as councilor, and as Clerk of the Nation. He served on Former New
York Governor Rockfeller's Advisory Committee for Indian Affairs. He was
very active in Indian Affairs and extremely knowledgeable in Indian laws,
culture and heritage. He was instrumental in obtaining old age benefits
for retired Senecas. He belonged to the international Brotherhood of Boilermakers,
Shipbuilders of America AFL-CIO. He was a member of Jamestown Consistory
Scottish Rite, and Cattaraugus lodge 239 F&AM, 32nd degree Mason. His
half-sister, Mrs. Arlene Friday, was also very active in Indian affairs.
She made many trips to Washington to aid in bringing reforms and aid to
the Seneca Nation.
Killbuck, Amos, was well
known as "medicine man", a firm believer of the Long House religion, he
had been accredited to many "miracle" cures. He was also a tea leaf reader,
made splint baskets, and was considered somewhat of a nomad.
Redeye, Fred, was interested
in Indian politics and served several terms as councilor.
Titus, Dennis, Sr., was
a part time Presbyterian minister. He lost a leg in a railroad accident
and wore an artificial limb.
Thanks goes to:
Lorna Spencer of the Cattaraugus County Historical Museum for providing it for transcription
and Edith John Daly and John E. Ward for the original work in 1958 and 1977