Descendants Of John
And His Son Lyman C. Perrigo
Generation No. 1
1. JOHN1 PERRIGO was born in Vermont, and died Aft. 1840. He married ELIZA MOFFETT1, daughter of UNKNOWN MOFFETT. She also was born in Vermont.
Notes for JOHN PERRIGO: The names John Perrigo and Eliza Moffett appear on Lyman Perrigo's Death Certificate which was filled out by his granddaughter. She listed Lyman's parents as John Perrigo and Eliza Moffet. John Perrigo is my "Brick Wall". I can find little information about him.
I recently contacted some descendends of an Andrew Perrigo a contemporary of Lyman Perrigo. They remember their parents talking about my mother and my 1st cousin Robert Perrigo and had information about us, listing us as cousins. My 1st cousin, Robert Perrigo, remembers visiting them in Salamanca NY during the 1940's and being told they were cousins. However, neither of us are able to put together how it is that we are related. Now, here comes the interesting part.
About the time (1855) that my Lyman was a young man setting out on his own, Andrew Perrigo was living, along with some Perrigo siblings with John and Eliza Crop of Little Valley. Comparing notes with Andrew's descendants, one of them remembers her Grandfather saying that Andrew's father was nicknamed "The Preacher". He worked floating log rafts down the Allegany River to Pittsburg. One trip, he left and wasn't heard from since.
That lets the mind jump to a few hypotheticals. Suppose Lyman's father, "The Preacher" Perrigo, disappeared leaving Eliza his wife and children behind. Could Eliza have married John Crop, the John and Eliza Crop that were providing a home for Andrew and his siblings in 1855? Lyman's granddaughter may have known John Crop only as "Grandfather John" and mistakenly put his name down on the death certificate as John Perrigo. - Just a hypothetical...
If we allow that Bess Perrigo put the right name on the death certificate, then we are looking for a John Perrigo who is supposed to have at one time resided in Lockport, Niagara County (there were a bunch of Perrigos living there). However, the 1850 Census for Little Valley shows Lyman, Andrew, and Lucinda living with John and Eliza Crop. On the same page (191) there is a Sally M Perrigo living with the George Drake Family. The 1855 New York State Census has Andrew living in Bucktooth (Salamanca) and Lyman living in Allegany.
I can only find one John Perrigo in the area and he appears in the 1840 census. That he is the father of Lyman and Andrew Perrigo is at this point, just an undocumented assumption. That Lyman and Andrew were brothers is also an undocumented assumption, though it is pretty sure they were related. The decendants of Lyman Perrigo and Andrew Perrigo is all supported by documentation. That they were related is fact, that they were brothers is an assumption. A synopsis of the census data appears below
|John Perrigo 1840
Census Sardinia, Erie County
(other ages missing on page)
More About JOHN PERRIGO:
Census: 1840, , Sardinea, Erie County (may or may not be the correct John Perrigo)2
Children of JOHN PERRIGO and ELIZA MOFFETT are:
i. SARAH2 PERIGO, b. Abt. 1827; d. Unknown; m. GEORGE DRAKE; b. Abt. 1824; d. Unknown.
2. ii. ANDREW PERIGO, b. Jul 13, 1815; d. Bet. 1865 - 1875.
3. iii. LYMAN C PERRIGO, b. Sep 20, 1832, Franklinville, NY; d. Apr 14, 1910, Allegany,Cattaraugus,New York.
iv. LUCINDA PERIGO, b. Abt. 1835; d. Unknown.
v. SALLY M PERRIGO, b. Abt. 1838; d. Unknown.
Notes for SALLY M PERRIGO:
Sally may or may not be related, but she appears on the 1850 Little Valley Census (Pg 191) living with George Drake. Lyman, Andrew and Lucinda are living with John & Eliza Crop -I am making an assumption that for some reason the family had been split up to live with friends.
Generation No. 2
2. ANDREW2 PERIGO (JOHN1 PERRIGO, )was born Jul 13, 1815, and died Bet. 1865 - 18753. He married CALISTA LYONS Mar 18, 1856. She was born Abt. 1827 in Wayne County, NY4, and died Unknown.
More About ANDREW PERIGO:
Residence: 1850, Little Valley, Cattaraugus Co, NY5
More About CALISTA LYONS:
Residence: Jun 1875, Allegany, NY6
More About ANDREW PERIGO and CALISTA LYONS:
Marriage: Mar 18, 1856
Children of ANDREW PERIGO and CALISTA LYONS are:
4. i. EDGAR D3 PERRIGO, b. Feb 02, 1860; d. Dec 31, 1950, Salamanca, NY.
ii. EDNA PERRIGO, d. Unknown; m. BECKWITH; d. Unknown.
iii. ALICE PERRIGO7, b. Abt. 1865; d. Unknown.
3. LYMAN C2 PERRIGO (JOHN1, )was born Sep 20, 1832 in Franklinville, NY8, and died Apr 14, 1910 in Allegany,Cattaraugus,New York9. He married MARY ANN BESSEY Jul 04, 1853, daughter of FREDERICK BESSEY and MARIAH STEDMAN. She was born Sep 05, 1834 in Cortland Co, NY10, and died May 23, 1914 in Allegany,Cattaraugus,New York11.
Notes for Lyman Perrigo
PERRIGO Family of Allegany
1880 Township of Allegany, Catt. Co. - Federal Census
Page 23 -
More About LYMAN C PERRIGO:
Notes for MARY ANN BESSEY:
More About MARY ANN BESSEY:
Children of LYMAN PERRIGO and MARY BESSEY are:
5. i. FREDERICK CLARK3 PERRIGO, b. Feb 02, 1856, Cattaraugus, Co, NY; d. May 12, 1920, Higgins Memorial Hospital, Olean, NY.
6. ii. ESTELLA M PERRIGO, b. May 20, 1860, Allegany, Cattaraugus Co, NY; d. Nov 26, 1885, Allegany,Cattaraugus,New York.
|The grave of Lyman Perrigo lies next to his wife
in her family's plot in the
Allegany Protestant Cemetery in Allegany, Cattaraugus County, New York
Generation No. 3
4. EDGAR D3 PERRIGO (ANDREW2 PERIGO, JOHN1 PERRIGO)was born Feb 02, 1860, and died Dec 31, 1950 in Salamanca, NY. He married (1) LIZZIE DOYLE. She died 1896. He married (2) MAUDE MOFFETT 1898, daughter of UNKNOWN MOFFETT. She was born Jan 03, 188019, and died Feb 1974.
More About EDGAR D PERRIGO:
More About MAUDE MOFFETT:
More About EDGAR PERRIGO and MAUDE MOFFETT:
Children of EDGAR PERRIGO and LIZZIE DOYLE are:
i. ROY4 PERRIGO, b. 1887; d. 1959.
ii. ALICE PERRIGO, b. 1895; d. 1896.
iii. KATIE PERRIGO, b. 1899; d. 1908.
Children of EDGAR PERRIGO and MAUDE MOFFETT are:
7. iv. CLAUDE4 PERRIGO, b. May 28, 1899, Humphrey, NY; d. Jun 1987.
v. NEOLA PERRIGO24, b. Sep 17, 1905, Salamanca, NY; d. Feb 1993, Fort Myers, Fla25; m. KELLER26; d. Unknown.
8. vi. MILFORD PERRIGO, b. Oct 21, 1909, Pennsylvania; d. May 18, 1983, Fort Myers, Lee, FL.
5. FREDERICK CLARK3 PERRIGO (LYMAN C2, JOHN1, ELIJAHA)27 was born Feb 02, 1856 in Cattaraugus, Co, NY, and died May 12, 1920 in Higgins Memorial Hospital, Olean, NY28. He married FLORA CLORINDA RAISH29 Oct 26, 1885 in Geneseo, Livinston Co, NY30, daughter of THOMAS RAISH and ELIZA HALL. She was born Jan 16, 1867 in Allegany, NY/Allegany, Cattaraugus Co., NY, and died Aug 06, 1946 in Olean, NY31.
Notes for FREDERICK CLARK PERRIGO:
At age 14, Fred Perrigo was living with Fred Bessey and working on the farm, his father, Lyman was living with Seth Allen and working in the back woods - June 1870 Census pages 47,49,50,51
At age 19, Fred was living with his maternal Grandmother, Mariah Bessey Æ 59 (1875 NYS Census)
The family homestead was on the North Nine Mile road in Allegany, now Route 417 (old rte 17). The homestead still stands east of and adjacent to the location of the Allegany Drive-In.
More About FREDERICK CLARK PERRIGO:
More About FLORA CLORINDA RAISH:
Children of FREDERICK PERRIGO and FLORA RAISH are:
i. RAYMOND NELSON4 PERRIGO, b. May 02, 1887, Allegany,Cattaraugus, New York35; d. Apr 04, 1919, Sterling, Colorado35; m. FLORENCE RAVENSCROFT35; d. Unknown.
More About RAYMOND NELSON PERRIGO:
Cause of Death: Influenza
Confirmation: Feb 16, 1902, First United Methodist Church,Allegany36
9. ii. CLARENCE RAISH PERRIGO, b. Mar 01, 1890; d. May 28, 1958, Gowanda.
10. iii. BESSIE MARIE PERRIGO, b. Feb 11, 1895, Allegany, NY; d. Feb 1959, Hollywood, Fla.
11. iv. MABLE GRACE PERRIGO, b. Jan 13, 1905, Allegany,Cattaraugus,New York; d. Aug 01, 1994, Olean,NY.
6. ESTELLA M3 PERRIGO (LYMAN C2, JOHN1)was born May 20, 1860 in Allegany, Cattaraugus Co, NY37, and died Nov 26, 1885 in Allegany,Cattaraugus,New York. She married EDMUN E CHASE Nov 06, 1877. He was born Abt. 1858 in New York, and died Unknown.
More About ESTELLA M PERRIGO:
Date born 2: May 20, 1850, Allegany,Cattaraugus,New York38
Residence 1: Jun 1875, Allegany, NY39
Residence 2: Jun 01, 1880, Allegany, Cattaraugus Co,NY 40
More About EDMUN E CHASE:
Residence: Jun 01, 1880, Living with Lyman Perrigo41
More About EDMUN CHASE and ESTELLA PERRIGO:
Marriage: Nov 06, 1877
Child of ESTELLA PERRIGO and EDMUN CHASE is:
12. i. MORTIMER D4 CHASE, b. Bef. Jun 01, 1879, New York; d. 1932.
Generation No. 4
7. CLAUDE4 PERRIGO (EDGAR D3, ANDREW2 PERIGO, JOHN1 PERRIGO)was born May 28, 1899 in Humphrey, NY42, and died Jun 1987. He married (1) RUTH MCCOY. She was born 1898, and died 1940. He married (2) FLORENCE FOX Private. She was born Private.
More About CLAUDE PERRIGO:
Residence: 1923, 24 Quilter, Salamanca, NY43
Children of CLAUDE PERRIGO and RUTH MCCOY are:
i. VERSAL5 PERRIGO, b. Private; m. EVERETT DENDEL, Private; d. Unknown, Deceased.
ii. BARBARA PERRIGO, b. Private; m. RALPH WALKER, Private; b. Private.
More About RALPH WALKER and BARBARA PERRIGO:
iii. JOYCE PERRIGO, b. Private; m. GAIL ONINK, Private; b. Private.
8. MILFORD4 PERRIGO (EDGAR D3, ANDREW2 PERIGO, JOHN1 PERRIGO)was born Oct 21, 1909 in Pennsylvania44, and died May 18, 1983 in Fort Myers, Lee, FL. He married MONICA SCHUM45. She was born Mar 03, 1914 in Attica, New York46, and died Oct 12, 2000 in Manasas City, VA.
More About MILFORD PERRIGO:
Child of MILFORD PERRIGO and MONICA SCHUM is:
i. DONNA5 PERRIGO, b. Private; m. LEE MCCALL, Private; b. Private.
More About LEE MCCALL and DONNA PERRIGO:
9. CLARENCE RAISH4 PERRIGO (FREDERICK CLARK3, LYMAN C2, JOHN1)was born Mar 01, 189049, and died May 28, 1958 in Gowanda49. He married FAITH L BILLINGS Dec 27, 1919, daughter of EDWIN BILLINGS and IDA MCCREADY. She was born Nov 13, 1892, and died Jul 1987 in Gowanda NY50.
Notes for CLARENCE RAISH PERRIGO:
Notes from a conversation with his son, Robert Perrigo at Cuba Lake, July 1999
Clarence was a "roustabout" as worked in the Oil Fields. When the oil business in the Olean area dried up, Clarence traveled to the oil fields in Cisco Texas. Returned to NY to marry Faith Billings, then they both returned to Texas, and Oklahoma during the oil boom years. Robert Perrigo, his son, was conceived in Oklahoma, but Faith said 'I will not bear a child in Oklahoma, I will have my child in Olean' and so Clarence and Faith returned to Olean, where Bob was born at the Olean General Hospital. Clarence took advantage of the business skills he had learned at Westbrook Academy in Olean, and took a job in Gowanda as Village Clerk, a job he held for the rest of his working life.
More About CLARENCE RAISH PERRIGO:
More About FAITH L BILLINGS:
More About CLARENCE PERRIGO and FAITH BILLINGS:
Marriage: Dec 27, 1919
Child of CLARENCE PERRIGO and FAITH BILLINGS is:
i. ROBERT5 PERRIGO, b. Private; m. PAULINE BERTHA TUTTLE, Private; b. Aug 23, 1924, Gowanda, NY; d. Jan 24, 1999, Cuba NY.
More About PAULINE BERTHA TUTTLE:
Burial: Jan 27, 1999, Pleasant Valley Cemetery
More About ROBERT PERRIGO and PAULINE TUTTLE:
Marriage Fact: Private
10. BESSIE MARIE4 PERRIGO (FREDERICK CLARK3, LYMAN C2, JOHN1)was born Feb 11, 1895 in Allegany, NY54, and died Feb 1959 in Hollywood, Fla. She married RAY AUSTIN BLACKMAN. He was born May 06, 1895 in Coudersport, Pa55, and died Jan 1971 in Hollywood, Florida56.
Notes for BESSIE MARIE PERRIGO:
Bess taugh school at an old school house at the corner of Route 446 and Cuba Lake Road. She boarded at a house just to the west which sets on a small rise. - Told to me by Mable (Perrigo) Allen, and confirmed with Robert Perrigo.
More About BESSIE MARIE PERRIGO:
Baptism: Sep 16, 1906, Allegany, NY by F. A. Johnson57
Burial: Unknown, East Aurora, Erie Co, NY
Occupation: Taught at School #3 Ischua
Residence: West Hollywood Florida
Child of BESSIE PERRIGO and RAY BLACKMAN is:
i. RAYMOND CASPER5 BLACKMAN, b. Private; m. LUCILE BROWNING, Private; b. Private.
More About RAYMOND BLACKMAN and LUCILE BROWNING:
11. MABLE GRACE4 PERRIGO (FREDERICK CLARK3, LYMAN C2, JOHN1)was born Jan 13, 1905 in Allegany,Cattaraugus,New York, and died Aug 01, 1994 in Olean,NY. She married WILFRED HENRY ALLEN Feb 18, 1926 in Allegany,Cattaraugus,New York, son of ELMER ALLEN and SOPHIA MERKT. He was born Oct 26, 1896 in Allegany,Cattaraugus,New York, and died Dec 18, 1964 in Olean,NY.
More About MABLE GRACE PERRIGO:
Notes for WILFRED (Friday) HENRY ALLEN:
service: Bet. 1918 - 1919, Company I
NY 27th Div, wounded in action.
Occupation: 1916, Laborer59
Sheldon Family Association Number: S7490x26
Social Security Number: 110-14-9885
More About WILFRED (Friday) ALLEN and MABLE PERRIGO:
Marriage: Feb 18, 1926, Allegany,Cattaraugus,New York
Children of MABLE PERRIGO and WILFRED ALLEN are:
i. RICHARD DAVID5 ALLEN, b. 1941 ; m. JACQUELINE NADINE EVENS,
ii. JEAN MARIE ALLEN, m. LARRY ALAN WRIGHT
12. MORTIMER D4 CHASE (ESTELLA M3 PERRIGO, LYMAN C2, JOHN1) was born Bef. Jun 01, 1879 in New York, and died 1932. He married EVA H Abt. 1908. She was born 1889 in Pennsylvania60, and died 1973.
More About MORTIMER D CHASE:
Notes for EVA H:
Eva may have remarried. There is an Eva Chase Bartlett buried next to Mortimer Chase.
More About EVA H:
Occupation: 1930, Housekeeping
More About MORTIMER CHASE and EVA:
Marriage: Abt. 1908
Child of MORTIMER CHASE and EVA is:
i. CLARENCE5 CHASE64, d. Unknown.
Notes for CLARENCE CHASE:
Was Singer, sang in Bradford
Burial: Unknown, Allegany Protestant Cemetery65
Residence: Erie, PA