REV. IRA BURLINGAME of Franklinville, New York
Ira Burlingame was the son of Israel and Eunice (Crandall) Burlingame and was a brother of Rickertson Burlingame of Ellicottville, Cattaraugus County, N.Y. He was born on 5 Nov. 1778 in Wethersfield, Conn. Ira removed to Oxford, Chenango County, N.Y. by 1803. In about 1803, Ira married Elizabeth Lyon in Norwich, N.Y. Elizabeth was the daughter of Samuel Lyon and was born on 7 December 1786 in Greene, Chenango Co., N.Y. They initially settled in Oxford, N.Y. where their land was was adjacent to the estate of Ephraim Fitch, Sr. It was located north of the village of Oxford, near "Fitch Hill." They removed to Willet, Cortland Co., N.Y. in 1809. Gladys (Redfield) McPherson wrote in her essay, Ancestors and Descendants of Lieut. Isreal Burlingame of Weathersfield, Vermont (1941), "Ira (Burlingame) also served in the 1812 War in 1815, Chenango Co. Infantry." Ira and Elizabeth (Lyon) Burlingame moved in 1822 to Farmersville, Cattaraugus County, N.Y., and then removed to Franklinville, Cattaraugus Co., N.Y. in about 1825, where they remained.
Ira Burlingame was a farmer and a Baptist Minister. On 4 Nov. 1831, the Baptist Church of Great Valley, Cattaraugus Co., N.Y. was organized. "Ira Burlingame was moderator, and J.A. Bullard clerk" (History of Cattaraugus Co., New York, Pub. Philadelphia: L.H. Everts, 1879). Of his brother, Joshua Burlingame recorded in his family Bible the following, "Brother Ira Burlingame was born in Weathersfield, Vt. Nov. 5, 1778, where he spent his youthful days and before he arrived to manhood, he went to Oxford, Chenango Co. in this state, where he experienced religion in Nov. 1818, and united with the Baptist church in December following. In 1827, he removed to Franklinville, Cattaraugus Co. N.Y. where he spent the remainder of his days. Here he soon identified himself with the Baptist Church and heartily espoused its interests and labored to promote its upbuilding and the general interests of religion until his days were ended. He died Nov. 29, 1846 in the 69th year of his age, in the faith and hope of the Gospel, leaving a family of a wife and twelve children to mourn his loss. A large concourse of people attended his funeral."
As Joshua noted, Ira Burlingame died on 29 November 1846 in Franklinville, Cattaraugus, N.Y. His wife, Elizabeth (Lyon) Burlingame died in 1864 in Franklinville, Cattaraugus Co., N.Y. Their children were:
1. Almira, b. 20 January 1805 in Oxford, Chenango Co., N.Y.; d. in Greene, Chenango Co., N.Y.; m. Artemas Haynes. They had 6 children:
2. Selah, b. 14 November 1806 in Oxford, Chenango Co., NY d: 18 August 1862 in Franklinville, Cattaraugus Co., N.Y.; m. 27 December 1836 in Franklinville, Cattaraugus Co., N.Y., Hannah Maria McClure (b. 6 April 1814 in Franklinville, N.Y.; d. 10 December 1866 in Allegany, N.Y.). They had 5 children:
- a. Ira.
- b. Nancy.
- c. Caroline.
- d. Samuel.
- e. Mary, m. A.W. Merrick.
- f. Elizabeth, m. M.O. Rogers.
3. Philo, b. 18 January 1809 in Oxford, N.Y.; d. 12 August 1873; m. Sarah McClure (b. 17 June 1806 in N.Y.; d. 18 December 1871 in Ischua, Cattaraugus Co., N.Y.). They had 5 children:
- a. Amelia S., b. 22 Jan. 1837 in Franklinville, N.Y..
- b. Addison Gardner, b. 3 Oct. 1839; d. 21 Feb. 1914; m. 1.) Miriam V. _____ (b. 28 July 1840; d. 17 Jan. 1881; m. 2.) Harriet M. _____ (b. 12 May 1849; d. 23 Aug. 1915).
- c. Isabel, b. 18 Jan. 1841 in Franklinville; d. 22 Jan. 1916 in Franklinville; m. 10 June 1876 in Franklinville, N.Y., Lawrence E. McLouth (b. 25 Mar. 1850 in Franklinville; d. 21 July 1909 in Franklinville.
- d. Adell, b. 23 Dec. 1843 in Franklinville, N.Y.; m. 23 Feb. 1864, Riggs Hawley.
- e. Ira L., b. 18 Feb. 1848; m. Lurana ______ (b. 25 Mar. 1848).
4. Leroy, b. 15 January 1811 in Willet, , N.Y.; m. Deborah Washburn (b. 1818). They had 2 children:
- a. Julius, b. 4 July 1833 in Ischua, Cattaraugus Co., N.Y.; d. 26 Oct. 1906; m. Louisa Peck (b. 1840; d. 1911). b. Herbert,
- b. 1835 in Ischua; d. in the Civil War.
- c. Clement, b. 23 Nov. 1838 in Ischua, N.Y.;d. 1922.
- d. Eugene, b. 1841; d. 2 July 1864 in Ischua, N.Y.
- e. Almira, 30 Mar. 1843 in Ischua, N.Y.; d. 14 Dec. 1910; m. Abram Moors Farwell.
5. Caroline, b. 21 September 1813 in Willet, N.Y.; d. 1887 in Allegany, N.Y.; m. 1826, Hiram W. McClure (b. 1806). They had 8 children:
- a. Henry, b. 1857.
- b. A son (name unknown).
7. Ira Lewellen, b. 5 May 1818 in Oxford, N.Y.; d. 1856 in Franklinville, N.Y.; m. 1.) Paulina Washburn (d. 12 January 1852 in Franklinville, N.Y.); m. 2.) Lorraine Washburn. Ira had one child by each wife:
- a. Sanford Burlingame, b. 1836.
- b. Alice, b. 1841; m. ______ Taggart.
- c. Maria E., b. 1843; m. ______ Starr.
- d. Esther C., b. 1845.
- e. Rosabelle, b. 1848.
- f. Frances P., b. 1850.
- g. Agnes, b. 1853; m. ______ Chapman.
- h. Katherine, b. 1857. 6. Sophronia, b. 14 January 1816 in Oxford, Chenango, N.Y.; d. 25 July 1857 in Franklinville, N.Y.; m. 11 Nov. 1836 in Franklinville, N.Y., Samuel Searle. They had one known child: Fayette.
8. John, b. 22 July 1820 in Oxford, N.Y.; d. 26 February 1887 in Franklinville, N.Y.; m. 5 November 1846 in Franklinville, N.Y., Arvilla Searle (b. 16 Apr. 1825; d.
- a. Homer Sherwood, b. 9 Jan. 1852.
- b. Ira H., b. 1857.
9 Mar. 1903). They had 5 children:
10. Artemas Haynes, b. 6 January 1830 in Franklinville, N.Y.; d. 12 January 1903 in Corry, PA.; m. 6 November 1854, Louisa Rogers (b. May, 1832 in Franklinville, N.Y.; d. 3 April 1925 in Corry, PA.). They had one known child:
- a. Flora L., b. 29 May 1848. b. Alice Florence,
- b. 13 Feb. 1850.
- c. Frank, b. 12 Aug. 1852; d. 23 July 1857.
- d. Frederick, b. 6 July 1854; d. 17 July 1857.
- e. May, b. 1859.
- 9. Elizabeth, b. 13 May 1826 in Franklinville, N.Y.; d. 1900 in Corry, , PA.; m. DeWitt C. Scott.
11. Platt, b. 22 September 1823 in Franklinville, N.Y.; d. 2 September 1868 in Mt. Morris, N.Y.; m. 1.) Lucene M. Thomas; m. 2.) 14 Nov. 1844, Lucy Searle. Platt had 2 children by each marriage:
- a. Irwin Eugene, b. 22 Sept. 1866 in Pennsylvania; d. 26 Oct. 1935 in Corry, PA.; m. 26 Aug. 1903 in Colza, PA., Mary Edith Colegrove (b. 9 June 1868 in Colza, PA.).
12. Catherine Cordelia, b. 21 May 1832 in Franklinville, N.Y.; m. Homer Jones. They had one known child: a. Willis P.My thanks to Mike Gifford of Orwigsburg, Pennsylvania and Marilyn Jacox of Montgomery Village, Maryland who helped supply much of the information presented here, making another Cattaraugus County - Burlingame connection possible. Submitted by: John W. LadwigE-Mail: JohannWL@aol.com
- a. Frank W., b. 5 Aug. 1859; d. 21 Nov. 1903 in McKeesport, Allegheny Co., PA.; m. Sarah Wood.
- b. Frederick A., b. 10 Jan. 1865.
- c. Emma Loduska, b. 19 June 1845; d. 26 Nov. 1912 in Holland, N.Y.; m. Russell W. Button (b. 16 May 1843 in Franklinville, Cattaraugus Co., N.Y.).
- d. Grace, b. 1857.
Submitted by John W. Ladwig