Town of Ashford- 1824


 
The town of Ashford was formed from Ellicottville on February 16, 1824. It is centrally located in the north half of the county. The surface is hilly, the ridges generally extending in a north and south direction, with its highest points being 300 feet above the valleys. Cattaraugus Creek, on its northern border and Buttermilk Creek, are its principle streams. Maple sugar manufacturing was an important industry.

Ashford, (p.v.) is in the southwest part of the town, and in 1862 contained a grist mill and a sawmill. It had 2 churches and 36 houses. East Ashford is a p.o. that was first settled by Henry Frank, and his two sons, Andrew and Jacob; from Herkimer County, who located on Lot 56, in 1816. Other early settlers include: John Goodemote; Samuel Flagg; Griffin and David Wyley; Amos, David, Thomas, and Maley Sampson; David Oyer, Augustus Van Slyke, Calvin Woodruff, Marcena Brooks, Jacob and Michael Houghstader, John Quakenbush and his son, Peter. All of these settlers were from Herkimer/Montgomery counties and relocated to this area in 1818.

The first child born was Elizabeth Frank (daughter of Jacob Frank) in the fall of 1817. The first death was to a child of Andrew Frank, named Phoebe, on Aug 30, 1818.

Daniel Thomas and Norman Carter taught the first schools, in 1822-1823.

The first church organized was F.W. Baptist , by Elder Richard M Cary in 1821.


Historical Transcripts

The Town of Ashford from  "The History of Cattaraugus County" published in 1879 by Franklin Ellis

1823 List of Jurors from the "History of Cattaraugus County", edited by L. H. Everts, published 1879.


 
Town Historian

William T King 
5360 Felton Hill Rd., POB 62
West Valley, New York 14171
Town Clerk

Patricia R. Dashnaw
5190 Riceville Rd.
West Valley, NY 14171
942-6016 (B)   942-6746 (H)



 
Ashford Cemeteries
We appreciate the efforts of Mr. Dean Williams for the years of work gathering this cemetery information, 
and Mr. John Pfeffer, for his contribution in making it available to the Cattaraugus County NYGenWeb site.
NAME LOCATION  CONTACT
Mt. Hope Cemetery - Now online !  Corner of Rte 240 and Rosick Hill Rd 
St John's Roman Catholic Cemetery - Now online!  Rosick Hill Rd 
SEE
Arabic Cemetery - Now online here!  Bigelow Rd  NOTE
Ashford Hollow Cemetery - Now online here !  Ashford Hollow Rd, Rte 219  BELOW
Franktown Cemetery - Now online here!  North of Ashford Hollow, Rte 219 
Nagel Cemetery - Now online here !  Dutch Hill Rd 
Scwartz Cemetery - Now online!  Scwartz Rd 
Ashford Heights Cemetery - (Lutheran Cemetery) Now online !  Dutch Hill Rd 
Henrietta Rd Cemetery -  Updated 4/16/2007 Henrietta Rd 
Thomas Corner Cemetery - Now online here !  Rte 240 
Holland Cemetery Now online!  Rte 240 
Riceville Cemetery - Now online here !  Gooseneck Rd 

Dean Graydon Williams

Dean Graydon Williams, born 17 May 1928 in West Valley, Cattaraugus, NY; died 15 June 2004 Buffalo, Erie County, NY after a short illness.  He was buried 19 June 2004 in Mount Hope Cemetery, West Valley, Cattaraugus,NY.

He did an lot of research and work for the Cattaraugus county web pages, including a lot of research for the cemetery pages.  He will be sorely missed.
 Top

 

If you have any information you can contribute about this town please the Cattaraugus County Coordinator


Last Revision June 10, 2008

Return to Cattaraugus Co page