The Town of Ellicottville was formed from Ischua, now Franklinville, on April 13, 1820. Ashford was taken off in 1824. It is located in the interior part of Cattaraugus County. Its surface is a hilly upland, broken by the deep and narrow ravines of the streams. The principal stream is Great Valley Creek, running through the center of the town. Ellicottville was incorporated on April 1, 1837. It is the original county seat of Cattaraugus County, and in 1860, contained the county buildings, 4 churches, 3 newspapers, and an iron foundry. Its population was 695. It was named after Joseph Ellicott, an agent for the Holland Land Company.
Plato and Ash Park are post offices. The first settlements were made in 1815, by David Waldo, of Oneida County, and Orin Pitcher from Massachusetts. The first religious services was held at the house of William Vinton, by the Rev. John Spencer, in 1818.The first permanent settler was Grove Hurlburt, who built the first house in 1815, on Lot 57. Other early settlers included: Rickartson Burlingame and Ephraim Fitch, in 1816. The first child born was Orlando F Pitcher, in June 1816.
The first school was taught by Eunice Carpenter, at the house of Orin Pitcher in 1817. Also in 1817, the first inn and store was opened by Baker Leonard. A sawmill was built by Orin Pitcher, in 1821, on the Great Valley Creek.
Added in 2017
|Links Checked 10/30/2015 by W3C LinkChecker|