The Town of Franklinville Early Pioneers
 

Learn lots more about Franklinville by following these links !

 

Introduction
Early History
Death Records 1860-1894

Pioneers
Early Settlers
Joseph McClure
Pardon T Jewell
Marvin Older
Delos E Lyon
Curtis Brothers
Searl and Storrs
Doctors
William McNall


Park Square and Fairs
The Story
The Trial
The Wedding
Franklinville Fair
Bands

Postal History
Introduction
Post Office
Postmasters

Hotels and Inns
Globe Hotel
Hotel Lester
Bard Hotel
Brown Eagle Hotel

Businesses and Industry
Bartholomew's Pharmacy
West Park Square Drug Store
Quality Bakery
Cutlery Industry
Mercantile
Dairy Industry
Firehouse Liquors
Blount Plow

Churches and Buildings
Baptist
Other Churches
Presbyterian
Methodist Episcopal
Morgan (Town) Hall
Amusement Hall
The Miners Cabin

In the Public Trust
Newspapers
Chronicle-Journal
Fire Department
Electric Company
Utility Company
Mt Prospect Cemetery
Public Works

This information came from the files of Joie Wilson, formerly the Franklinville Town Historian and the section editor for Franklinville on the Cattaraugus County website.

If you have information about Franklinville, or have a question, contact Joie at ChasandJoie@webtv.net

Thanks, Joie !!

You are our 1955 visitor since January 29, 1999--

 

Return to Cattaraugus page

Return to Franklinville page

photog.gif (2516 bytes)

A LETTER FROM JOSEPH MCCLUER

 

The following paragraph is excerpted from a letter written by Joseph McCluer
from Angelica to General Elliott of the Holland Land
Company under date of January 24, 1806:

"Myself and family with eight other families will be on the land
near the Ischua at or before the first of March next, and from
appearances we may expect a respectable settlement in the course of the
summer." (N.B. The original letter in its entirety is in the library of
the Buffalo Historical Society.)

True to his word, consistent with his character, nine families
departed Angelica at the end of February in 1806. Crossing the still
frozen Genesee River, they followed the Indian trails until they passed
Caneadea. From there on they wound their way through the wilderness,
following the path of least resistance. The trip took three days and
other than their feet their only method of tranportation was a box like
sleigh pulled by a team of oxen. In this they carried the barest minimum
of provisions and essentials possible for their survival. They knew
that upon their arrival they would have only seven months in which to
prepare for the winter to come. When they reached their destination
each family built its own log cabin, Joseph McCluer being the first to
do so and choosing to build on what is now known As Elm Street. On the
spot where he built the first home in this area there stands today a New
York State historical marker:

JOSEPH MC CLURE
SITE OF LOG CABIN
BUILT IN 1806 BY
JOSEPH MC CLURE
FIRST SETTLER IN AREA
NOW KNOWN AS FRANKLINVILLE, NY
THEN KNOWN AS MC CLURE SETTLEMENT
THE FIRST TOWN MEETING IN CATTARAUGUS COUNTY WAS DESIGNATED IN
STATE ACT OF MARCH 11, 1808 TO BE HELD AT THIS PLACE IN JOSEPH McCLURE'S HOUSE

The location of Joseph McCluer's barn would be designated today as
the soutwest corner of the intersection of South Main Street (NYS Route
16) and Elm Street, where Bartholomew's Pharmacy now stands. It was the
first frame barn built in the area, if not in the County.

In the words of Marvin Older (about whom we will hear more later),
written some sixty years later, Joseph McCluer was "the 'Old Pioneer'
who struck the first blow to redeem this 'vast wilderness and boundless
contiguity of shade'."

Joseph McClure died in 1833, the father of seven childen and one
township. A man who had served in the War of 1812 and returned to form
the Militia of Western New York from which he derived the lifelong title
of General, he also served Cattaraugus and Chautauqua counties in the
New York State Assembly.