The Most Valuable And Productive Farms Section - In The Book:
The New Century Atlas Of Cayuga County, New York - 1904 - Page 121

colorline

- BOOK CODE -

- TOWN SECTION -

- 1904 FARM OWNER'S NAME IS -

- THIS PAGE DISPLAYS THE -

NCAC

LEDYARD, NY

DR. ALBERT LEFFINGWELL

11th FARM ON PAGE 121

HOME (INDEX)

NEXT PAGE

GLENHEIM, the home of Dr. Albert Leffingwell, embraces nearly twenty acres, extending from the main street in the village of Aurora, nearly half a mile to the top of the hill. The residence, considerably improved by the presdent owner, is of brick and stone, and its broad piazzas, shaded by chestnut trees, overlooks Cayuga Lake. The house was built in 1827 by Hon. Eleazer Burnham, a distinguished early resident of Cayuga County, who was twice chosen as a Presidential elector; it was occupied by him for forty years, passing by his death to his nephew, James Burnham Smith, and becoming the residence of Dr. Leffingwell in May, 1896. Nearby is a small building, which a century ago was the law office of Judge Walter Wood, and here Millard Fillmore, afterward President of the United States, first began the study of law. On the same premises, and on the north, is one of the oldest houses of the village. It was the birthplace of Hon. Edwin B. Morgan in 1806, and the upper floor served for several years previous to 1816 as the Masonic Lodge.

 Transcribed by Sandie Gilliland  in August 2002
Some Scanned Map Images From The 1904 New Century Atlas Of Cayuga County, New York
Cayuga County NYGenWeb Project Maps Website
Cayuga County NYGenWeb Project HomePage