The Most Valuable And Productive Farms Section - In The Book:
The New Century Atlas Of Cayuga County, New York - 1904 - Page 123

colorline

- BOOK CODE -

- TOWN SECTION -

- 1904 FARM OWNER'S NAME IS -

- THIS PAGE DISPLAYS THE -

NCAC

VENICE, NY

CHARLES O. HOLLEY

5th FARM ON PAGE 123

HOME (INDEX)

NEXT PAGE

POPLAR HURST is owned by Charles O. Holley. Postoffice address, Moravia, R. F. D., No. 19. It consists of one hundred acres, located on the Holley Road leading from Ithaca to Auburn, four miles to Moravia, five to Genoa, and eighteen to Auburn. It has an apple orchard of two acres and an abundance of pears, peaches, plums, cherries and small fruits. In addition to general farm products it supports a dairy of graded Jerseys, and a special feature is its bed of ginseng. The farm name is derived from its poplar trees which surround the home and were planted in 1815. The buildings and all improvements are in good repair. There is a water supply to residence and barns, from a never-failing spring. Also thirty acres of hardwood timber, that includes a grove of five hundred sugar maples. Daniel Holley is regarded as its first owner, who settled here in 1812, and was a native of Rhode Island. He resided here until his death in 1836, when it came into the possession of Justice Holley, who also died here. Orrin Holley, son of Justice Holley, purchased the farm several years before his father's death. Mrs. Mary Holley, who was formerly Miss Mary Barber, is the widow of Orrin Holley; her son, Charles O. Holley, present owner of "Poplar Hurst," is one of the up-to-date young farmers of the town.

Transcribed by Sandie Gilliland  in 2002
Some Scanned Map Images From The 1904 New Century Atlas Of Cayuga County, New York
Cayuga County NYGenWeb Project Maps Website
Cayuga County NYGenWeb Project HomePage