For another biography of John Lincklaen, from
Luna M. Hammond's 1872 History of Madison County = Click
From: Smith, James H., 1880, History of Chenango and Madison Counties, New York. D. Mason & Co.. Syracuse, NY
The original text includes an illustration of John Lincklaen
In addition to the reference
already made to the life and services of Mr. John Lincklaen in connection
with the early history of the village and town of Cazenovia, in which he
took so important a part, an extended memoir would seem to be necessary.
John Lincklaen was born in Amsterdam, Holland, December 24, 1768. His early life was spent in Switzerland, where he received most of his education. At the age of fourteen he entered the Dutch navy, remaining in the service for several years, soon attaining the rank of Lieutenant under Admiral DeWinter. It was while in this navy that the opportunities presented themselves which allowed him to visit many of the most important places of Europe and Asia. In 1792 he emigrated to the United States in the employment of the Holland Land Company. He surveyed the land purchased by that Company, and the following year he was made general agent of the same.
He soon conceived the idea of laying out a town, which he did, giving it the name of Cazenovia, in honor of his much esteemed friend, Mr. Cazenove, an Italian.
For some thirty years of active life, Mr. Lincklaen held a place second to none in the industrial and social development of his town, and has left behind him abundant proof of his ability and wisdom in causing to be laid out and erecting the first buildings in what is now known as the pleasant village of Cazenovia, in Central NY, Madison county.
John Lincklaen was also prominent in the Holland Purchase in Genesee county. As no foreign company could then hold and transfer lands, or give titles for the same in this country, under existing laws, the celebrated tract known as the Morris reserve, containing over thirty hundred thousand (3 million) acres was deeded to the different persons in their own names who represented the different branches of the Holland Land Company. These were Herman Le Roy, John Lincklaen and Gerrit Boon.
In 1814 Mr. Lincklaen became deeply interested in religion, and afterwards became an earnest christian-worker. He was active in the erection of the then new "church on the green," and contributed liberally towards its building and support. The same building having undergone thorough repairs from time to time is still an ornament to the village, and a memento of the founders.
The site of Mr. Lincklaen's first dwelling is familiar to the early residents of the village on the bank of the beautiful Cazenovia Lake, opposite the present residence of Mr. Burr.
This house was destroyed by fire in 1806. He then selected a new site at the foot of the lake which was then known as Lake Owahgena, where he built a substantial brick house, which is still occupied by the family, and is considered one of the attractive spots in the town.
Mr. Lincklaen in 1797 married the eldest sister of Mr. Jonathan Denise Ledyard. Mr. Ledyard succeeded Mr. Lincklaen as agent of the Holland Land Company, also succeeding to his private estate. Soon after, he removed the office to a more central position in the village, where it still remains, and is occupied by Ledyard Brothers, sons of J.D. Ledyard. Mr. Lincklaen's life is so full of activity, so replete with generosity, and honesty, and all that makes manhood truly noble and great, was stricken amidst its usefulness and vigor. A victim of paralysis, he died in his prime, February 9, 1822, aged fifty-four years.
His memory will love long in the hearts of the then youth of the day.