"History of New Woodstock"
pages 11 to 28
Scanned and edited by
Daniel H. Weiskotten
Ellsworth, Anzolette D., and Mary E. Richmond, 1901, New Woodstock and Vicinity, Past & Present. J.A. Loyster, Cazenovia, NY
History of New Woodstock.
The village of New Woodstock, in the first election district of the town of Cazenovia, is 1,350 feet above sea level; Cazenovia village, six miles north, being 100 feet lower, and DeRuyter, seven miles south, being also lower. A double row of maple trees, set out by Lathrop Hendryx, many years ago, extends the entire length of Albany, the principal business street. Standing at the eastern end, looking west, the view is remarkable for its quiet, peaceful beauty, though time and the woodman's axe have wrought sad havoc. Nestled among the hills, one seldom sees a village numbering less than three hundred inhabitants that has so few dilapidated buildings, and has such an appearance of general prosperity. Situated in a rich farming and dairy country, the hillsides are dotted with farm buildings where once dense forests stood, and the early settlers' only guides were the Indian trails or roads marked by blazed trees.
The first settlers of New Woodstock were David Smith and Charleville Webber. They are reported (Mrs. Hammond's History of Madison county) to have occupied the shanty at the foot of Cazenovia lake before Mr. Lincklaen's party came. They staked out lots and settled near New Woodstock in 1794. No farther record can be found of Charleville Webber, than he was buried in the New Woodstock cemetery in 1811. (See engraving.)
David Smith was born in 1771 and came with his parents when four teen from Pittsfield, Mass., to Clinton, N.Y. He was one of thirteen children. His brothers were, James, John, Jonathan, Marshall, Smiley, Samuel Joseph, Harry and William; and sisters, Sally (Moffett), Polly (Hale), and Betsey (Morris). Mr. Smith took up 150 acres a mile southeast of New Woodstock. He soon after sold 50 acres, now owned by C.A. Lamb, to Edward Curtis father of Samuel, Edward, Jun-, Betsey (Taber), Esther (Bacon), and Fanny Curtis. Mr. Smith married in 1795 Betsey Merrick. Frank Hunt's farmhouse stands where their home was built, the bar being in the basement front. It was a convenient location for a tavern, as John Lincklaen, on account of his vast timber interests, and for the benefit of the settlers, early laid out two roads. The east one from Cazenovia passing south directly by David Smith's, over Crumb Hill to North <:12> Pitcher was called "The Old Joe road," after Joseph Messenger, who was employed to do the work. The ten children of Mr. and Mrs. Smith were, Melinda, married Arcenal Webber, Erastus, Eliza, David, Sophrona, Jonathan, Charlotte, married Asa Merrill, Jerman, Artemas and Orrin.
A year or two after David located near New Woodstock, his brother, Jonathan, took up 150 acres, which included all that part of the village lying south of what was afterward the Hamilton and Skaneateles turnpike. He built a tavern, now called the Bell house, at the western end of his land where he was landlord many years. He was married three times and had no children. He died in Ohio. The brothers were twins and so strongly resembled each other that David's children, and even "Aunt Spike," as David's wife was sometimes called because of her high temper, thought Jonathan was David. The tavern built by David, no longer used as a tavern, was burned in 1854 when Samuel Scott was the owner, and was re-built by him. Luther Hunt, who came here about sixty-five years ago, afterward purchased it, and his son, Frank L., the present road commissioner, is now the owner and occupant. Luther's brothers, Andrew and Lyman were also residents here awhile.
About 1818 David Smith built the present hotel and occupied it until 1831, when it passed into the hands of his son, Erastus, and son-in-law, Asa Merrill, who was also one of the early stage drivers. After two years, Jonathan and Jerman Smith took the hotel, and were succeeded in turn by Artemas and Orrin, the latter continuing proprietor after Artemas' death until 1865, when he sold to John Blakeslee and Abram Burden.
David Smith's last home was on the north side of Albany street, on land purchased of John Savage. He died in 1844, his wife in 1846. The parents and their ten children, except David, are buried in the New Woodstock cemetery. Their son, Jonathan, a prominent business man in New Woodstock many years, became the owner of their home. He died in 1862. His son, Morillo O., the only descendant of David Smith in New Woodstock, now occupies the house. Mr. Smith has held the town offices of constable, collector, and road commissioner, and is now gate tender of Tioughnioga lake. He is also sexton of the New Woodstock cemetery and Baptist church.
Orrin, the youngest child of David Smith, married Sarah Matthews. After selling the hotel, he bought a house on Mill street, one of three built by Robert Jenkins, the other two being the old Peck- Rice house, now owned by F.C. Covil, and the one known as the Lemuel Bowers house. Mr. Smith's daughter Ida, died a few years since. His son, William C., was born in New Woodstock in 1859. Attended public and private school in that village and later at Cazenovia Seminary. He went to Philadelphia in 1879. Entered the brokerage of his uncle, Ezra W. Matthews. Was in his employ four years. His uncle retiring from business he formed a <:13> partnership with Horace H. Lee which continued five years. In 1890 he became a member of the Philadelphia Stock Exchange continuing business in his own name. He married in June, 1889, to Laura Virginia Jackson, daughter of the late Hon. Washington J. Jackson, of Philadelphia. He is a member of the Union League of Philadelphia, Overbrook Golf Club, Overbrook Club and Philadelphia Cycle and Field Club.
David Smith, the pioneer, had a brother, John, who lived in Chittenango, and his half brother, William, was a distiller and farmer in New Woodstock, and a soldier in the war of 1812. He married Sally Dean Pollard. His death occurred in 1844.
Blakeslee and Burden sold the hotel in 1866 to Orville Wells and Gideon Estes and re-purchased it in 1867. Mr. Burden died in 1872, and in 1873 Mr. Blakeslee sold to Chauncey Cook, son of Conrad Cook. The latter is remembered as an eccentric man, and as sexton of the Baptist church. Mr. Cook sold the hotel to Hinman, of Syracuse, who rented it to Tinker and Wilcox. John and Lewis Burden next became proprietors, and sold to Samuel C. Shapley, in 1888, who remained until 1899, when he sold to Corbin and Mansfield, the present successful proprietors.
One of the first pioneers, in 1793, was William Sims, of Scotch origin, born in 1770, who came from Andover, Conn. He located near Constine Bridge, paying John Lincklaen $1.50 per acre for land which was nearly all forest and abounded with deer and bears. Wolves, also, were objectionably numerous. He built a log house, married Deborah Weaver, of Pownall, Vt., the farm always remaining their home. Their children were James, Louisa Coley, Phebe, who married J.J.H. [Joshua V.H.] Clark, historian of Onondaga county, and John. The family attended services at New Woodstock held in the "Barn Meetinghouse" built in 1804, which outwardly resembled a barn. The interior is described as having a ground floor and convenient seats. An upper room had a large, square hole in the floor through which those in the primitive gallery could see preacher and people. In the early days premiums were offered for the best piece of home- manufactured full-cloth. Mrs. Sims took the premium and her pastor, Eld. Peck, had the first suit cut from the cloth. Mrs. Sims died in 1859. Mr. Sims in 1864, aged ninety five. His son, James, born July, 1802, formerly a teacher and farmer, now resides in Cazenovia, and is the oldest life-long inhabitant of the town. When a young man, he frequently made trips to Albany, one hundred miles distant, which was then the market for farm produce, the round trip requiring eight or nine days. His memory is good and in a recent interview, referring to church services at New Woodstock, he said: "Baptismal occasions were indeed spectacular. The font was deep water in a small brook made deep for such occasions. It was about eighty rods from the meeting house. In going there the people walked two by two in the middle <:14> of the road, as there were no sidewalks; Elder Peck at the head, singing Watts' hymns to the old fashioned fugue tunes."
John, the youngest child of William Sims, remained on the farm some years. He then went to Baldwinsville with his wife and three children, where he and his wife died. Their son, W. Frank Sims, returned to his native town about 1873 and became the first station agent on the railroad. After a few years he resigned his position and built a flour and feed store near the depot, which was burned July, 1896. He then sold the site to Charles Boyd, and now lives in Syracuse. His two sisters are residents of Boston.
Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Smith came in 1801 from Plymouth, Mass. Their farm, southeast of New Woodstock was afterward divided between their two sons, and is now owned by George Slocum, and by Mrs. George Moffett. Their children were Clarissa, married Asaph Smith, Moses and James. Moses married Ann, daughter of Nathan Hendryx. She is now eighty-five years of age, and resides with her daughter, Martha, wife of Dr. A.D. Smith. Her other daughters are Mary(Webber)(Smith), and Hattie, wife of Israel Brown, who lives in Groton, N.Y. Some time after the death of Moses Smith, his widow married Joseph Hatch. It is related that Samuel Smith, in the pioneer days, was often called upon to bleed his neighbors and his wife Patty to blister them. Isaac Holmes in the same neighborhood would act as dentist.
James Smith married Charlotte, daughter of Gilbert and Judith Rice Jenkins. They lived in the old home several years, but spent the last years of their lives in New Woodstock. Their children are Henry B., of Syracuse, Austin, of Littleton, N.H., and Lottie, of New Woodstock.
Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Smith in 1803 adopted Ralph Knight, born December 18, 1796, said to be the oldest white male child born in the town. His parents were Noel and Martha Knight. He was the second of seven children. His birthplace was on the Sheds Corners road and he was the only one of the family remaining in New Woodstock until his death in 1872. He married in 1823 Olive Ackley. They had six children. Two died in infancy. Charles was a soldier in the civil war, in the 114th regiment. He was detailed in 1863 as acting hospital steward with a regiment of U.S.C.I. and sent to Texas where died of congestion of the lungs after a brief illness at Matagorda Island. His son, J.E. Knight, is an engraver in Syracuse.
James was an expert penman, and was a bookkeeper in New Woodstock several years, afterward going to Syracuse. He was twice married. The daughters of the first marriage were Harriet, who died in early womanhood, and Gertrude, wife of Robert Benedict of Delphi. Mr. Knight's second wife and a son and daughter are living in Syracuse; another son in <:15> Rochester. Harriet married Nelson Estes. They had one son, James, now of California. Ralph married Cynthia Burdick, of DeRuyter, and moved to Syracuse, where their children now reside.
Samuel Tyler, another pioneer, came to New Woodstock in 1793. He was a constituent member of the Baptist church. His daughter married the pioneer Edward Curtis. His farm was located south of L.H. Slocum's and now belongs to Francis Morgan. The L.H. Slocum farm was owned by Jonathan Ferry prior to 1812. His son, Monroe Ferry, of Holley, N.Y., was born there. S.V.R. Freeborn afterward owned it and added two small farms previously owned by Mr, Allard and John Martin. Mr. Martin purchased 50 acres of John Lincklaen in 1814. He was a tanner by trade. He had seven sons and three daughters. Emeline Cruttenden, born in the log house, was the first of the children born in New Woodstock, her birthday occurring in June, 1815, the same day the frame of the Baptist church was raised. Her sister, Elvira, married John Stanton, and Huldah married his nephew, Schuyler Stanton.
Levi Burgess, half brother of Jonathan Shed, came in 1800. He had ten children. His son, Celim, kept the farm, and at his death Alonzo Morse purchased it. Harrison Burgess, a teacher and school commissioner, lived in Erieville; Andrew, a blacksmith, in New Woodstock, then in Erieville. Frank died in New Woodstock in the Jonathan Shed house. Minerva married James Randall. Their daughter, Ruth Wood, resides in New Woodstock. Ruth, daughter of Levi Burgess, married John Cadogan, son of Abram Cadogan, who moved here prior to 1810, and lived in what is now called the Calkins neighborhood. Mr. and Mrs. John Cadogan first lived on the Sheds Corners road. Over fifty years ago they moved the house formerly owned by Joseph Clark from the site of Mrs. Richmond's home to its present location where George Barber lives. They had 5 sons and 4 daughters. Almira Partridge and Ruth Elliott live in Eden, N.Y. Janet married Jonathan Smith and for her second husband, Putnam Damon. She resided here until her death in February, 1901. Lucus Cadogan lives in Michigan, Walter in Chicago, John in Erieville. Frank died in Eaton and is buried in New Woodstock. His widow married Theodore Tucker. Annis, daughter of Abram Cadogan, the pioneer, married Ansel Stowell and was the mother of eight children. Charlotte Corbin, Henry, Frank and Fred are those who resided in New Woodstock. Betsey, another daughter of Abram Cadogan, married Sylvester Burdin. They had fifteen children, George, Henry, Ira, Abram and John among the number. Their early home was in Sheds Corners.
Benjamin Hatch and Thomas Ackley, from Winfield, N.Y., settled in Nelson on the Cazenovia town line early in the century. Mr. Hatch's children were Jerusha Wells, Elnathan, Joseph L., father of Clark W., and <:16> Ida Doremus. Joseph lived on his father's farm, also in New Woodstock and in Cazenovia. Silence Freeborn, now eighty-five, the only member of the family living, resides with her son, W.H. Freeborn. Philetta and Ann married Jeremy Tucker; Mary married James Brown, Benjamin F. married Nellie Leary in 1846 and lived where Henry Gorton does now. In 1866 they removed to Cuba, N.Y., Mr. Hatch dying the same year. Their son, Alfred D. Hatch, is a prominent business man in that place. He married Alice M. Lyon. They have one daughter, Bertha Lillian.
The youngest son of the pioneer, Benjamin Hatch, went west and was found dead under mysterious circumstances several years ago.
The Hamilton and Skaneateles turnpike, laid out in 1806 and built in 1811, started at Plainfield and passed through Brookfield, Hamilton, Eaton, Erieville, New Woodstock and other places west until it reached Skaneateles. A toll gate was on Mr. Hatch's farm and he was the first keeper. Later it was moved to Edward Damon's farm, Arcenal Webber keeping it. It was moved once more to the upper end of H.S. Gorton's farm and was kept by Henry P. Gifford. The Gifford family were originally from Rhode Island. Henry Gifford, Jun., married Jane Webber. Mr. Gifford's second wife was Mrs. Perry Stevens, whose maiden name was Litchfield. Her daughter, Catherine, married Lyman Larrabee, a school teacher and afterward a carriage-maker in New Woodstock. Mr. Larrabee, in company with his brother-in-law, Jared Hubbard and family, came form Westmoreland, N.Y., in 1842. Mr. Larrabee moved to Cincinnatus in 1861. The family now reside in Binghamton. His son, Chester, carries on an extensive business in carriage manufacture. The last keeper of the toll gate was Mr. Fisher, an Englishman. His son, William, is now a business man in Utica, N.Y.
Thomas Ackley located in the neighborhood with his brother-in- law, Benjamin Hatch, on a farm since owned for a number of years by John Dixon. Their children were, Thomas, Walter, Ann (Wellington), Ansel, Abigail (Durfee), Alice (Tucker), William and Gilbert. Mr. and Mrs. Ackley's last years were spent with their daughter, Alice, in the house built by Arcenal Webber, between the H. and S. [Hamilton & Skaneateles] turnpike and the Sheds Corners road. Mr. Ackley was totally blind eighteen years. He died at the age of eighty-three. Their son, Walter, lived on the old farm until 1879. He then bought a home on Bank street in New Woodstock, where they lived with their daughter, Lewellyn Byer, the only one of their five children now in this place. Mrs. Sanford is in Iowa, Mrs. C.J. Wells, in Erieville, Mrs. Elizabeth Mowry and Gilbert Ackley in Syracuse. Gilbert Ackley married B.J. Lowrie's daughter, Florence, and owned and occupied the John Post farm at Union a number of years before going to Syracuse.
James Leary and his wife, Semira Webber, lived on the south side of <:17> the turnpike west of the road passing by L.H. Slocum's. Mr. Leary was a captain in the war of 1812. They had five children, three of whom died when young. Captain Leary died in 1834, aged forty-four. His wife survived him twenty-five years. Their daughter, Polly, married Andrew Tucker, who died in 1859. Georgiana Tucker, their daughter, married Walter Rew, of Friendship, N.Y., and has one son, Lynn Andrew. Mrs. Tucker afterward married Ezra Webster, of Friendship. She died at the age of seventy and was brought to New Woodstock for burial. Nellie Leary, her sister, married B. F. Hatch. (See Hatch sketch.)
Mr. and Mrs. George Wightman settled in Nelson, in the early part of the past century. Their six children were born on the farm where their daughter, Mrs. Esther Salisbury still resides. Three sons, Benjamin, George and Andrew, were closely identified with New Woodstock. Benjamin built the G.H. Moffett house, the S.S. Hayes shoe store on Mill street, the hardware store on Albany street, near the Esq. Lathrop store. He owned the house built by Stephen Collins about 1830. The fire which occurred in October, 1890, destroyed the Lathrop store, and all the Wightman property except the shoe store. Esq. Lathrop's store was occupied at the time by the merchant, P.E. Jaquith, and the flour and feed store of E.W. Gunn. The hardware stock was owned by Jonas Reeve of Erieville. He succeeded R.J. Sunderlin, of Scotch descent, who came from Chittenango in 1865. J.J. Tucker became his partner in 1867. After the fire, Henry D. Ryder became the hardware merchant. William S. Huntley is the present owner.
George Wightman was a cabinet maker and carpenter. In 1855 he bought the wool carding and oil mill on Limestone creek, north of the village, first owned by Luther Holmes, afterward by Jeremiah Kellogg. Isaac Schaick's sawmill, in the early days was east of the mill. Mr. Wightman sold to Hart and Van Vechton, and the mill was burned in 1864. Mr. Wightman repurchased and rebuilt it in 1871. It was again burned and rebuilt in 1872. Later it was owned by W.H. Cardner. (See Cardner sketch.) The building on the south side of Albany St., now owned by M.R. Burdick, was built by Mr. Wightman in 1855, Seneca Bowers who came from Troy, being the architect. When first built, it was a story higher, and was considered a fine building. The New Woodstock Glove Co. owned it from 1869 to 1874. The house now owned by Dewitt Palmer, where Theodore and J.J. Morse lived, was also built by Mr. Wightman. Andrew Wightman, a house and carriage painter, lived in New Woodstock. He died in 1900. His wife was Margaret Bowers. Her two younger sons live with her in New Woodstock, the daughter, Mrs. Addie Sherman, in Rippleton, and a son Devillo, west.
Thomas, Solomon, William and Ebenezer Merrick, spelled also Myrick, and their wives were early settlers. Like many other pioneer families, <:18> none of the name now reside here. Thomas' daughter Betsey married David Smith, Sally married Dr. Mann of Union, whose children were Jane, wife of the late Samuel Bliss, and Darwin, father of Rev. Newton Mann, and his sisters Helen and Marcia, who live at Cazenovia.
Ashbel Webster bought the farm now known as Benoni Barrett's of Mr. Worden. He had eleven children, Jesse, Plumley, Ashbel Jr., Hannah (Tucker), Jason, Daniel, Jared, George, Mercy (Powers), Israel and Eliza. Israel married Arvilla, sister of John Post, bought his father's farnm, afterwards selling it to Daniel. Other owners of the farm have been Eleazer Seymour and R.R. Churchward. Ashbel Webster, Jr., married Avis Burton, settling east of the Thurber farm. They had two sons and three daughters. Eliza Webster, born 1812, married Henry Smith in 1833, who died several years ago. They had eleven children six now living, five residents of this state. Richard resides in Owasso, Michigan. Mrs. Smith is with her daughter, Mrs. Ira Kinney of Cuyler. Three children Ellis, Mary (Durfee) and John, reside near New Woodstock. Mrs. Smith has twenty-five grandchildren, and sixteen great-grandchildren. Mr. Smith's grandfather and his wife's grandfather were Revolutionary soldiers. Mrs. Smith's sister Mercy married Wesley D. Fox, pastor of the Methodist church in New Woodstock in 1844. They had four children, their three daughters all marrying ministers. Mary, with whom her mother resides in Homer, married the late Rev. M.E. Haskins.
Eleazer Seymour and his wife Achsah Wellington came from Lebanon, N.Y. Their son Addison was born there, Erastus and Silas on the Benoni Barrett farm. Mr. Seymour afterward sold it and purchased the farm of Luther and Erastus Wellington, where his son Silas has lived nearly forty-eight years. John Kellogg built the first farm house, which was burned some years ago. Silas Seymour married Helen Salisbury of Homer. They have one daughter, Cora. Erastus Seymour married Sarah Snow, and lives at the foot of Belmont Hill, where James and Jane Snow once resided. They have five children. Mr. Seymour carries on the old Snow grist and saw mill on Belmont Creek.
David Wellington, a pioneer of Nelson, came from Cheshire, New Hampshire, in 1796 and built a log shanty, the roof of elm bark, the floor of split logs. He was the first Justice of the town of Nelson, holding the office twenty years. His two sons, Luther and Erastus, over sixty years ago lived where Silas Seymour now resides. Luther afterward returned to Nelson. His son, Gerry, is a prominent lawyer in Hamilton, N.Y. Erastus Wellington married Ann Ackley. Their son Edward C., who married Celia Lewis, was a man of varied information, conversing intelligently on all subjects. Erastus Wellington's daughter, Louisa, married Austin Jenkins. Their son, William, with family, resides in New Woodstock, owning the late S.E. Morse place.
<:19> Captain Ezra Jenkins' had three sons, Robert, Canfield and Gilbert. Robert has been mentioned as a builder. Canfield married a daughter of Rev. Joseph Coley. Gilbert married Judith, a sister of Israel and Isaac Rice. Gilbert's sons were Ezra, now of Flint, Mich., remembered as a leader of the Baptist choir in New Woodstock, and also as a singing school teacher. Austin married Louisa Wellington and also remained in this vicinity. The daughters of Gilbert Jenkins were Charlotte (Smith), Lucy (Robinson), and Sarah (Nichols.) The home of Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins was in a house near the top of Belmont Hill, no longer occupied.
John Loomis had a tannery sixty or more years ago on the corner opposite the Jenkins house. He afterward owned the one at Floodport, which he sold to the Worlock brothers. He owned the building on Albany street, now called the harness shop, using it as a shoe shop when home-made shoes were in fashion. Ardath Blair, Gardner Dodge, Albert Garrett, William T. Richmond and Edsel Gordon have at different periods occupied this building as shoe makers. It has been used since as a harness shop by J.H. Knickerbocker and Edgar Burdick. The building was originally the dwelling house of Nehemiah Price, and the birthplace of his son, Milton S. Price who became a merchant prince in Syracuse.
Mr. and Mrs. James Durfee were among the early settlers. Their home was on the Erieville road where their grandson, William Durfee, now resides. They had four sons and three daughters. Nelson married Abigail Ackley; Vernon and Susan never married. Elizabeth married Darius Taber, and their daughter, Mrs. Mary Purrington, resides at Pompey Center.
Asa Durfee married Lydia Thurber. Their children were William, Charles, Frank, Ann, Mary Smith, and Sarah, who lives with Mrs. Charles Durfee and children on the Erieville road. Frank married Katherine Dean, and lives in Cazenovia.
Daniel Damon of western Massachusetts was one of the earliest settlers of the town. He purchased the farm where Luther Thompson now lives. His son, O.P. Damon, was born in 1815. He married Cecelia Perkins Cotes. They lived on the Erieville road on the place which is now the home of their son, Edward S. Damon.
Edward Holmes, the grandfather of Polly Scott Hunt, lived in a log house near William Thurber's farm. The road is now abandoned.
Joseph Holmes came from Chesterfield, New Hampshire, in 1801. He afterward moved to Shed's Corners. His daughter, Hannah, married Benoni Barrett. Hermenia Holmes was a dressmaker in New Woodstock for many years.
Robert Fisher and Isaac Warner came to New Woodstock about 1803, Warren afterward removing to DeRuyter.
Elijah and Sally Bond came on horseback from Cheshire, New Hampshire, <:20> to Sangerfield, N.Y., afterward coming to New Woodstock. Their home was near Cook's corner, where, later their son, Riley, lived. The place is now owned by Hiram Ackley. Their children were Riley, Bert, Dexter, Darius, Sally Estes, and Maria Thurber. Riley's daughter, Sarah Arnold Dye, and his son, Henry reside in Cazenovia, Louisa Bailey near Delphi. Bert Bond had several children. A daughter, Sarah, resides in Cortland.
Forty years ago the figure of John Ryan, who came from Delphi, was a familiar one on the streets of New Woodstock. Mr. and Mrs. Ryan's family consisted of 4 sons and 5 daughters. The parents and six of the children are dead. The survivors are Statia (Judd) of Montreal, Canada, Anna (Salisbury) of Ohio, and Julia of Syracuse. Their home was on Albany street, where Mr. Murdock resides.
Nathan Kinney, born in 1785, married Roxanna Thompson, who was born in 1788. They came by way of the old canal from Woodstock, Conn., about 1820 and settled near the Moffett's. They afterward lived in Nelson, and finally moved to Hovey Hill, thence to Union. Mr. Kinney was in his early days a school teacher. His wife was an expert weaver of flannel, linen towels and table spreads, designing her own patterns. Their children were Reuben, George, Lawrence and Harriet DeGraff. Most of their descendants live in Madison and Onondaga counties. A grandson, C.T. Kinney, has been road commissioner in DeRuyter.
Nathan Smith was an early settler, locating on the farm since owned by Stephen Stowell, Gershom Morse, L.B. Smith, and Mr. Fletcher. Mr. Smith set out a large apple orchard which was famous for the variety and excellence of its fruit. He was master builder, erecting the New Woodstock Baptist church in 1815, and a grist mill and saw mill on Limestone Creek near the present site of M.C. Wood's flour and feed store. These mills were carried away by a freshet about 1836, when they were owned by Samuel Walker. Mr. Smith built several houses in this vicinity, and many churches in other places. His sons, Harvey and Alvin, were among the first merchants of New Woodstock, trading here from 1816 to 1830. The store was near the site of the Methodist church, at some distance from the street, and later, was moved, forming the upright part of the house until recently owned by Joseph Slocum's estate. Behind the store were distillery and brewery buildings belonging to the Smith merchants. The distillery was afterward sold to Philetus Lathrop. Before the Smith's kept store, Jesse Worden, a merchant from 1815 or earlier, to 1819, was located, probably just east of Jaquith & Miller's present store. Harvey Smith lived where Mrs. S.G. Fuller now resides.
Joseph Clark, brother of Eliakim and Sidney Clark, was a merchant contemporary with the Smith brothers. His dwelling was on the site of Mrs. R.W. Richmond's place, his store was the building once owned by <:21> Eliza Smith, now Winfield Wilson's residence. He kept the store until his death in 1834, and was the first Post-Master in the village. Allen Dryer succeeded him as Post-Master, then Philetus Lathrop, Mrs. Mary Collins, who also kept a book store, Lathrop again, James Wadsworth, Silas Morse, William T. Richmond, John Ferguson for nearly 19 years, Kitty Ferguson Poole for a short time, J.H. Knickerbocker, F.L. Cunningham and E.E. Cummings, the present incumbent.
Eliakim Clark located on Clark Hill when nineteen years of age. He was a soldier of 1812. He married a daughter of Marvel Underwood. Only four of their large family of children are living. John, of McGrawville, Louisa, of Rome, Harriet (Jones) and E.G. Clark of DeRuyter. Eliakim Clark was one of the workmen on the Baptist church.
Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Walker came to New Woodstock as early as 1816. Mr. Walker rebuilt the mills carried away in 1836-1837, conducting the grist and saw mill for several years. Their children were Clara Bedford, Stephen and Lewis. The latter married Miss Jennie Brainard of DeRuyter and removed to California.
William Pierce subsequently owned the mill, then Edward Wallis, father of Mrs. F.L. Cunningham, in partnership with Samuel Corbin, J.J. Randall and his son-in-law, M.C. Wood, buying it in 1869. The mills were burned July 23, 1896, just two weeks after Sims' flour and feed store was burned. The grist mill was rebuilt as a flour and feed store with no grinding facilities. The firm name is now M.C. Wood & Son.
James Reeve came from Long Island to DeRuyter, locating in March about eighty years ago on the farm now owned by Mrs. Chapman near Delphi Station. His daughter, Balsora, became the wife of Theodorus Powell, who came from Newburg in a prairie schooner seventy years ago. They lived on the farm now owned by Henry Miller, and afterward in the Samuel Walker house, where their daughter, Miss Nancy Powell, now resides.
Sumner Cleveland built a house west of the cemetery in 1823. It has been moved and is now R.L. Miller's meat market. Mr. and Mrs. Cleveland had several children. Their daughter, Elizabeth married Timothy Coleman, and lives in Syracuse.
Gershom Morse, once the owner of the Nathan Smith farm, came to New Woodstock, fifty years ago from Nelson, N.Y. He was of New England parentage. His parents went to Canada, and at the age of sixteen, Gershom was drafted into the British army and not wishing to fight against his American brothers, he with two comrades deserted. One of his comrades escaped. Morse and the other soldier were re-captured by the Indians and taken back, nearly losing their lives. They finally successfully eluded their captors. Mr. and Mrs. Morse had four sons and two daughters. Their oldest son died in Cazenovia. Roscoe and Divolson <:22> Morse established a cheese box factory about 1864, carrying on the business a few years, when Roscoe bought his brother's interest and moved the building which stood near the cheese factory to Pearl Street, south of the Methodist parsonage. It was burned in 1872 and re-built the same year south of George Barber's. It was again burned and was not re-built. Roscoe Morse and family to went Florida where they now reside. Devolson Morse continued his work as a carpenter, building a pleasant home for his family on Mill street. He has been blind twenty years. Though feeling his afflictions he annoys no one by a sad countenance.
Samson Morse remained on the Gershom Morse farm several years. His first wife was Lydia Slocum. Their son George is now a resident of Cortland. Mr. Morse's second wife was Alice Kinney. Their home is in Delphi. Gershom Morse's daughter, Louisa, married Leonard Freeborn. Their other daughter, Josephine, married and died many years ago.
The first schoolhouse, built of logs, stood east of Jaquith and Miller's present store. John Powers and Mr. Allen were two of the old time teachers. In the summer of 1826 it was still standing. In the winter of 1826-1827 a part of the "Barn Meeting House" was used for school purposes, presumably because the log school house was unfit for occupation. The old red school house was probably built soon after the above date, and was used until 1868 when the present building was erected. Dr. Coy was the first teacher in the red school house of whom we have record. Henry W. Slocum and Ezra W. Matthews, both of whom were afterward Major-Generals in the civil war; D.D. Chase and L.L Ainsworth, who became residents of Iowa and Representatives to Congress from that state, were other teachers who have been known to fame. Nancy Richmond deClercq was the last teacher. The old school house is still standing, and is now the home of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Preston. Many of the old-time boys and girls go to visit it and live over again in memory the old days when they had to "toe the crack." They recall their anxiety in the spelling schools and their pride when they succeeded in spelling down all visitors thereby earning the then great sum to them of one shilling, given by the teacher, Chauncey P. Wells, in the winter of 1858-1859.
The Academy was built in 1833 and incorporated, by act of legislature as a select school in 1834. An account of it in its most prosperous early days is given elsewhere. The school was also highly prosperous in later days under the administration of Prof. A.H. Forte and also Rev. and Mrs. I.K. Brownson. The building stood across from the Baptist church and was two stories high, with a basement underneath. Two class rooms and the main room composed the second story. The lower story was used as a school room and also by the Baptists as a conference and Sunday school room. There were times when the school was large when the basement was also used for recitation purposes. The boarding house, called "Barley <:23> Hall," is now C.A. Buckingham's residence. When used as a hoarding hall it was a three story building. The first teachers in the present school house were Mrs. Helen Loomis Ferry and Miss Martha McDonald. The present teachers are Dana Dennison, Principal, Miss Carrie Byer and Miss Alice Freeborn, teachers in the lower rooms. Mrs. Alice Gardner Worlock is the only person who has taught in the old red school house, the academy, and the present building.
In 1834, Harvey Morris came to New Woodstock from Eaton, N.Y., and opened a store on the north-east corner of Albany and Mill streets. In 1840 he took as a partner his nephew, Thomas Morris Avery, of Perryville. Within a year Mr. Morris died and Mr. Avery continued the business until 1851, when he went to Chicago, entering the lumber business. In 1875, after acquiring a fortune, he sold his lumber interests and devoted his entire time to the Elgin Watch Company, which he had organized in 1867. At the time the Watch Company was organized there was a capital stock of $100,000. Under the direction of Mr. Avery the business increased so steadily that, in 1884, the stock was made $2,000,000; in 1890 this was doubled. Mr. Avery retired from all active business in 1899. He died, May 26, 1901. He married in 1847 his cousin, Margaret, the daughter of Harvey Morris. They had two sons. Mr. Avery survived them, leaving two grandchildren as heirs.
Baum and Wadsworth, afterward Baum and Stanton, succeeded Mr. Avery as merchants. They were followed by Jairus [Jarius] Bell and he in turn by the firm of C.W. Hill, now of Syracuse, and William H. Savage. The last mentioned conducted the store from 1858 to 1861. They were succeeded by Oliver D. Huntley and his son, William W.; then by T.F. Huntley who sold the business to Mr. Schwartz, of Canastota. James Reed of Syracuse, was the next, then G.D. Wallace of Syracuse. Mr. Wallace sold to Perry Jaquith, who still owns the building. His son, Willard A. Jaquith, and son-in-law, Harry L. Miller, carry on a large business in general merchandise.
Hopkins and Stiles were merchants previous to Harvey Morris, and were located on the same site. Mr. Hopkins raised the money to purchase goods by buying poor horses, getting them in good condition, and finding sale for them in New York. He was an excellent judge of goods and the belles of New Woodstock wanted nothing better than to take "Hopkins' Choice."
Samuel Hubbard and George Russell, who married Lizzie Greene, Mr. Hubbard's adopted daughter, kept store on the corner opposite Harvey Morris about 1840. They were followed by Philetus Lathrop, Esq., who previously owned a distillery, and rectified whiskey. He manufactured potash, the building standing just above the present cheese factory. V. Lamphere was teamster and general clerk. Mr. Lamphere built the <:24> house where Dr. Parker now resides. Mr. Lathrop served as Justice of the Peace for ninny years. Other Justices were J.J. Wadsworth, D.B. Frizelle, Royal Ellis, G.S. Poole, and the present incumbent, M.C. Wood.
Esquire Lathrop was a man esteemed in the community. He was a tall slight man with black eyes and hair somewhat inclined to curl, which he always kept very slick, and very black. He wore a stove-pipe hat, and was very prim and neat in his dress. He never married, and died at the age of seventy-eight. The store was afterward partly occupied by E.W. Guan and F.W. Tucker as a flour and feed store, and by P.E. Jaquith in the mercantile business. It was burned in 1890.
E.W. Gunn, when a lad of twelve, came to New Woodstock with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Horace Gunn, from Burton, Ohio, about sixty years ago. His parents after a few years, returned to their former home, Mr. Gunn remaining, and relying on his own exertions to make a living. In 1856 he began in mercantile business. His partners at different times were Alonzo, J.J., and F.W. Tucker. They occupied at one time the store subsequently used by Orrin S. Smith, and John Ferguson as general merchants in 1866, and after a year, by Mr. Smith alone. The store, which stood on the south- east corner, opposite the hotel, was burned in 1893 when occupied by Levi Reed as a grocery. The first cheese factory in the town was built in New Woodstock in 1862-1863 by E.W. Guan and F.W. Tucker. J.M. Lownsberry and sons purchased it in 1873. Mr. Lownsberry was a native of Fenner and built the second cheese factory in the county. He was highly respected in the community. His death occurred in 1884. C.A. Buckingham purchased the factory in 1885, and still owns it.
In 1875 the old academy building was purchased by Dr. A.D. Smith and Orrin Ferry, and moved to its present location. It was occupied a number of years by W.W. Huntley, as a store. He was succeeded by Charles A. Fox, who sold out in the spring of 1901 to E.E. Cummings and H.K. Stoddard. Mr. Cummings had been clerk in the store several years and Mr. Stoddard, a native of Otselic, resided here in his early days. He returned as a teacher in 1899.
Calvin B. Stowell was a blacksmith and contemporary with Pliny and Orrin Sabin. He lived in the house where Hiram Estes now resides which was moved to its present site when William T. Richmond sold it to the railroad. Mr. Stowell owned a blacksmith shop east of W.H. Smith's house which was then a shoe shop and dwelling owned by Mr. Mix. He employed seven men and made hoes, shovels, hunch hooks, axes and knives. Every year he went overland to Pennsylvania to sell his wares and was gone three or four weeks. He was an upright business man, a power in the community, and was frequently called upon to settle estates. At the time Mr. Stowell was a resident of New Woodstock the pigeons were so <:25> thick and so tame that they could be picked off the trees. Once two bushels thus obtained were cooked at Mr. Stowell's house.
Dr. Moffett was the first resident physician. He was followed by Dr. Gibbs, who was a student. Dr. Sherwood studied with Dr. Gibbs. Dr. Stephen P. Collins was here from 1828 to 1838. In 1826 he married Mary A. Babcock, of Boston, Mass. He died in Michigan. Their daughter, Mary, married Harrison Garrett and removed to Minnesota, her mother going with her. There were two sons, Norman, who died in Texas, and Gideon B. Collins, who died in Manitowoc, Wis. Mrs. Collins died October 3, 1901, aged nearly 93. Dr. John Goodell was a student of his father-in-law, Dr. John Heffron, and practiced with him in Erieville from 1820 to 1834, then went to Delphi where he practiced about five years. He then located in New Woodstock, building the house where Dr. A.D. Smith now lives. He died in 1850 at the age of 50. His epitaph, "He lived and died a Christian," fully expresses what manner of man he was. He was succeeded by Dr: Lorenzo Heffron, who stayed here a few years, then settled in Fabius where he died. Dr. John L. Heffron, of Syracuse, is his son, and was born in New Woodstock. The Heffrons were originally from Swanzey, N.H.
Dr. C.W. Adams was the next physician. E.S. Mumford studied with him, afterward locating in DeRuyter and Syracuse. Dr. A.D. Smith succeeded Adams, and is still a resident physician. Dr. N.P. Warner was a student with Dr. Smith, afterward having a lucrative practice and a large ride here. He married Adella, daughter of E.W. Gunn. After a few years he removed to Syracuse, where he died. Other physicians were W.D. Thayer, Joseph Ferry, both of whom moved to Fabius; Franklin W. Root, J.F. Place, William Davis, who died here after a few months' practice, and was succeeded by J.B. Allen, now of Syracuse. Dr. Halsey F. Stevens, of Brooklyn, came after Dr. Allen, in a few years removing to Truxton. While a resident of this place, his only child, Willard Stevens, was accidentally drowned near Cardner's mill. Dr. Donald Parker is now a resident physician.
William T. Richmond, a native of Pittsfield, Mass., came here in 1841 with his wife and three daughters, Fanny, married Daniel Frizelle, Mary, who died, and Sarah, afterward the wife of J.H. Knickerbocker. Mr. Richmond paid Calvin Stowell $1,100 for land from the Joseph Slocum place to the place recently owned by J.J. Morse. He sold his brother-in-law, Samuel Hubbard, the site where he built the house which became the Baptist parsonage, afterward Mr. Richmond's home, now owned by D.B. Frizelle's children. Mr. Richmond lived many years in the Calvin Stowell house. The house built by Daniel Stone, afterward owned by J.L. Hatch, J.M. Lownsberry, and now by Henry C. Day, also the house built <:26> by Joseph Coley, now owned by M.C. Wood, were built on land sold by Mr. Richmond.
Samuel Thomas, a harness maker, who afterward moved to Cazenovia, came to New Woodstock in 1842, J.H. Knickerbocker coming with him. With the exception of a few years spent in the Glove Factory, Mr. Knickerbocker worked at harness making. He was chorister of the Baptist church forty-eight years and filled other positions of trust in the church. He organized and conducted singing schools in several places in Madison county. His wife was also very efficient in church work, especially in singing. Mr. Knickerbocker died in 1895, his wife in 1900.
Jared Hubbard and family came here about 1842. A son, W.H. Hubbard, resides in Boston, and a daughter, Mrs. Eva Eastman, in Binghamton.
One of the highest points of land in Madison county is Bacon Hill. There Levi Bacon, a soldier of 1812, took up land, and there his twelve children were born. Four of the sons were in the Civil war. Henry, Truman and Madison are now residents of New Woodstock.
About fifty years ago, David Wise came here. He had a large family of children, most of whom now live west. His daughter, Lottie, married Warren Diefendorf, who owns the blacksmith shop, and the house south of it on the DeRuyter road. They live in Clockville. Other blacksmiths, besides those already mentioned who have resided here are Samuel and S.P. Bulkley, G.S. Poole, F. Smith, and Richard Wood, now of Georgetown. Mr. Wood was chorister at the Methodist church when living here. Will Carey is the resident blacksmith.
The first mail-carrier was a man on horseback, carrying the mail in saddle bags, and blowing a horn to attract attention. There was originally a plank road from DeRuyter to Oneida lake. Later, a mail route was established from DeRuyter to Chittenango. The eighteen mile drive from New Woodstock to that station to reach the New York Central railroad in the four-horse stage, Jed Buckingham, driver, loaded with passengers inside and out, is still remembered. In 1872-1873, the Cazenovia and Canastota railroad was extended to DeRuyter, connecting there with the Utica, Chenango and Cortland. It is now a branch of the Lehigh Valley railroad. W.F. Sims was the first station agent at New Woodstock, and was succeeded by F.E. Poole. C.B. Hugg, who is a native of Spencer, N.Y., in addition to his duties as station agent, is engaged in the coal trade, handles water lime, cement, vast quantities of cabbage and potatoes in their season, and also carries on the insurance business.
S.S. Hayes is a veteran shoe dealer, having been here twenty- seven years. Fred and Harley Hamlin, natives of New Woodstock, sons of the late J.E. Hamlin, went from Ilion as soldiers in the Cuban war.
"Grandma Slocum," who was born in Lenox, N.Y., on Christmas, <:27> 1803, is the oldest resident. Her maiden name was Elvira Griggs. Until very recently she has been able to attend church regularly. Her mind is still active. She married Joseph Slocum and is cared for by his daughter, Mrs. Warren Lee.
"Esquire" A. Dryer, who was here in the first half of the nineteenth century was probably a descendant of James Dryer, a resident in 1802. Mr. Dryer was a lawyer and held several responsible town offices. The family were frequently mentioned as "the cripple family," as Mr. Dryer and several of his family were afflicted with lameness. The children were highly educated, one daughter going as a missionary to the Tonawanda Indians. Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Hamlin, who came here in 1862 purchased in 1879 the place once owned by Mr. Dryer, and had it removed from its site on Albany street to its present location.
Mr. and Mrs. James Allen bought the farm about 1863 of Gurdin Barnard which they afterward sold to its present owner, L.B. Smith, and purchased a home on DeRuyter street where they died in 1900.
Deacon and Mrs. Ebenezer Bentley, with his son, Daniel and family, came to New Woodstock from Lincklaen, buying the Elisha Webber farm of N.L. Webber when he removed to Cazenovia. They were good citizens and are especially remembered for liberal giving in the Baptist church in this place. Deacon Bentley and wife died on the farm. Daniel Bentley and family removed to Cazenovia, selling their farm to Joseph Shattuck. Mr. Bentley died in Cazenovia in 1900
Deacon Erastus Mann was a resident of West Woodstock, afterward buying the house in New Woodstock, where he and his wife resided until their death. Mr. and Mrs. H.B. Griffith now occupy the house. Their son, Clinton, was also a resident in this vicinity for several years. His widow, Hannah Gibson Mann, now owns the Orrin Ferry place. J. Billings Mann, the youngest son of Erastus Mann, became a Baptist minister, attending Madison University and Rochester Theological Seminary. He married Delana Eastman, of New Woodstock and went west as a Home Missionary. His health failing, he returned to New Woodstock, where he died.
Alonzo Gibson owned the Frizelle farm, and also, at one time the W.D. Thayer place, now M.R. Burdick's home.
In mentioning the little hamlet of Union, nothing has been said of the tavern which once stood where is now the home of Mr. and Miss Jones. A trip hammer factory was a little northeast of the tavern, and west of it is the present home of Morse Wagner. On the south side of the road is the home of Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Bowers. Mrs. Bowers is the daughter of the pioneer, Jacob Post, and resides on her father's old farm. The Albert Card farm east of the schoolhouse, is now owned by Hamilton Thompson. Mr. Card had two sons. Frank married Abigail Bliss and lives in <:28> Brooklyn. Everett S. Card was a successful banker in Cazenovia for several years. He then failed in business, commenced again and again failed. He married Mary Nash, of Cazenovia, and they now reside in New York.
Benjamin Virgil and family were early settlers and prominent people
whose opinions had much weight. In 1821 the place became greatly
stirred up against Mr. Virgil for punishing beyond measure a child who
lived with them. The matter was investigated, acknowledgment made,
and the wormwood given to the child was sweet to the taste in comparison
to the stain that left an indelible mark. "The little candle" will
continue to "throw its beams," not only in this case, but, for good or
evil its light shines on the deeds of all of us who are making history
that shall bear its mark far down the ages.
Proceed on to the Next Section, History of West Woodstock