Candle Makers of Cazenovia
 
 Daniel H. Weiskotten
 1985 revised 1998
 
Click here to go back to the Miscellaneous Lists Main Page
Click here to go back to the Cazenovia, Fenner, and Nelson RootsWeb Main Page
 
 

Aldis Childs (1806-1903) and Walter B. Childs (1807-1869): operated a candle factory at 23 Fenner Street.  It was later operated by C.G. Adams (?-?), who making candles as early as 1869 and is shown at 23 Fenner Street in 1875.

John Service (1783-1877): came to Cazenovia about 1825 lived at 3920 No. Nine Road, and operated a pot ashery and soap and candle manufactory near the water trough on No. Nine Road with John Spears (?-?).  This was north of 3920 No. Nine Road on Lot 54 of the Road Township Reservation. J. McAlpin (?-?): it was advertised in the Madison County Whig of Feb. 1849 that the candles of J. Service & Son, J. McAlpin, and W.B. Childs were for sale at the store of J. Woodward.

C.G. Adams (?-?): won award for candles at Cazenovia Farmers & Mechanics fair (Cazenovia Republican October 27, 1869); shown in the 1875 Beers' atlas as occupying the candle factory at 23 Fenner Street (formerly of Walter B. Childs).
 
 

Click here to go back to the Short Histories Main Page
Click here to go back to the Cazenovia, Fenner, and Nelson RootsWeb Main Page