Compiled by Daniel H. Weiskotten
This reference work is compiled to help those that are doing research in the Village of Cazenovia and would like to know where a particular store or other reference is located. I do not use street addresses here except to refer to the address number as it is today. The numbering system was similar in the 19th century, but was changed about 1900 and has been modified on occasion since then. I hope to soon post a large number of local views showing the business district, streets and stores. Stat tuned!
Many times the newspaper advertisements for village merchants refer to their store as being next to, or across from, a more well known store or landmark. If the location of this "reference" store is not known, it is almost impossible to tell where the advertiser is located. This index is to be used to identify the locations of stores and merchants who use other stores as references.
Only a few specifically selected "reference" stores or site identifiers are given in this listing. They have been chosen because they had been used at least once in reference to another store or shop, and because their location could be identified.
No attempts were made at this time to include merchants that were in business after 1872 other than a few in the late 1870s. The data presented here as gleaned from miscellaneous Cazenovia newspapers and from the Cazenovia Republican volumes from 1854 to 1872. This information was often clarified or confirmed using various maps, deeds, contemporary accounts, and personal records.
Use caution with references that state "three doors west of..." as often there was more than one door to a street address. This designation usually refers to the physical number of doors away, rather than the number of stores away.
More than one individual may be found at a certain address at an time. Often the second and third floors as well as the basement were occupied by businesses. A date in parenthesis indicates the latest or earliest year that a store was found in the records but it was possibly in existence before or after that time.
This is far from being a complete listing of the merchants which were once found in the village of Cazenovia. The location of well more than a hundred other stores which were in Cazenovia over the past 200 years cannot be immediately identified. Hopefully this catalog will assist in identifying the majority of them.
ALLEN, R. & R.G.
1827-1850 had leather store at 52 Albany Street and owned building for several years more; had a tannery 1815-1826 near the East Bridge; from 1826 to 1852 it was located on Chittenango Creek just south of Ferndell; R. Allen & Son leather shop to 1850 at 52 Albany Street.
BANK OF CAZENOVIA
Built 1856 at 87 Albany Street; later was the Cazenovia National Bank.
Former store which had stood at 57 - 59 Albany Street; moved back to "Wall Street" in 1871 and converted into an apartment house; perhaps that run by Mrs. Wall.
BISHOP, THOMAS P.
_____-1866 at 66 Albany Street; replaced by Blair & Watts.
BLAIR & WATTS
1866-_____ at 66 Albany Street; followed Thomas P. Bishop.
See Henry & Sweetlands; Mills, Crandall & Moseley; or W.W. Watkins.
BOTANIC DRUG STORE
In Burr Block 54 Albany Street in 1856.
BROWN, GEORGE C.
G.C.Brown & Co. succeeded Burton & Perkins; stove store at 52 Albany Street 1846-1849; Spencer & Brown stove and tin shop at 3 Lincklaen Street in 1849.
BROWN & PERKINS
1846-(1852) at 52 Albany Street, stove store; branch of G.C. Brown & Co. after dissolution of Burton & Perkins in 1846.
Burr's store was located at 43 Albany Street 1811-____; 45 Albany Street was purchased from Jacob Ten Eyck in 1817. 43-45 were owned by William M. Burr and was known as the Burr Block for many years (past 1893); the lot (43-45) was vacant between c.1860 and 1872 when the present building at 43-45 was built by W.M. Burr Jr. who owned it until ____; W.M. Burr estate sold 43-45 Albany Street to W.M. Burr Jr. in 1884; other minor Burr Blocks were at 54 (1833-(1859)), 56 (1832-(1859)), 68 (1827-1881), 70 (1827-1870), and 72 (1827-1870), 47 (____-1884), and 49 (____-1884) Albany Street.
BURR & WENDELL'S OFFICE
In the former Madison County Bank at 51 Albany Street
BURTON & PERKINS
Stove store (1843)-1846 at 52 Albany Street; succeeded by George C. Brown & Co. and Brown & Perkins.
Bank at 81 Albany Street 1869-____.
Store, 1813-1829, 35 Albany Street (corner of Sullivan Street & Public Square); John S. Lang was here after 1829.
CAZENOVIA NATIONAL BANK
Former Bank of Cazenovia at 87 Albany Street.
CAZENOVIA REPUBLICAN OFFICE
1854-____ in the Hough Block 69 Albany Street; 1861 in the Ten Eyck Block at 53 Albany Street; ____-1865 in the Hough Block; 1865-1868 67 Albany Street; 1869-1871 56 Albany Street in Flannigan Block, 1871-____ 85 Albany Street.
CLARKE & HOBBIE
Dry goods, clothing ____-1851; built but never occupied the Empire Block now McLaughlin Block; succeeded by Hobbie & Clarke who did.
CLARKE & NICHOLS
74 Albany Street 1847-1851; succeeded by Clarke & Dunning.
CLARKE, BENJAMIN T.
Cabinet shop at 61 Albany Street in 1822.
Book store, printers, and publishers in McLaughlin Block 1852-____.
58 Albany Street in 1867; see Syracuse Clothing Store.
1855; former store and tavern that stood on the site of the Presbyterian Church Manse - removed c. 1870.
1869-____ at 54 Albany Street; Eggelston's restaurant.
McLaughlin Block when it was built by Clarke & Hobbie in 1851.
Drug store 63 Albany Street 1843-1871; burned out by fire fall of 1871; lot vacant until 1878 when the present building was built by Sidney T. Fairchild.
FIRST NATIONAL MARKET
1879 W. Benjamin; groceries; location unknown.
William J. Flannigan 56 Albany Street (1868-1872); William Flannigan at 70 Albany Street in 1878.
Store, druggist in Cazenovia 1828-1877; drugstore was located ____-1848 in his house at 19 Albany Street; from 1848-(1852) it was at 47 Albany Street; died 1877, and son Henry Foord continued a short time.
Located 1793-1794 near lake out-let; 1794-c.1800 at Lakeland; c.1800-1808 on the northwest side of Public Square where the Presbyterian Church now stands; 1808-1822 it was located at 24-26 Albany Street; Forman moved from Cazenovia in 1822.
FULTON MEAT MARKET
November 1878, S.S. Haws boot and shoe shop next door north of; somewhere on Lincklaen Street (#9?), location unknown (Haws there to March 1879?).
(1821)-1831, silver smith located just east of the Madison County Hotel which stood on the site of the Century House on the south side of the Public Square.
GREENLAND, WHITCOMB & CO.
1843-1846 at 52 Albany Street.
1846-(1852) at 52 Albany Street.
GREENLAND, WILLIAM & SON
1843 to (1852) at 70 Albany Street.
GROFF & CARPENTER
1852-____ at 74 Albany Street; Groff & Spear ____-1857 at 74 Albany Street; succeeded by Spear & Brother in The People's Store at 74 Albany Street; Henry Groff built 65 Albany Street 1871, enlarged it in 1878.
GUITEAU, HOLMES & CO.
Formerly Litchfield & Guiteau, 1850-____ at 53 Albany Street.
HAM & PARMELEE
1851-____ at 74 Albany Street John Williams Corner.
HASKELL & CASE
In Hough Block 1859-____.
HITCHCOCK & CO.
Printers and book binders, (1843)-1845 in Hough Block 9 Albany Street; succeeded by Henry & Sweetlands.
Formerly Henry, Hitchcock & Co. 1845-1847 at 69 Albany Street; moved to 43 Albany Street in 1847; succeeded by Mills, Crandall & Moseley in 1848.
HILL, MILO C.
1844-(1852) at 57 Albany Street.
HOBBIE & CLARK
1851-1856 in Empire Block now the McLaughlin Block; Hobbie, Rouse & Co. 1856-1867; Hobbie & Rouse 1867-(1872).
69 Albany Street; built by Wright & Jenkins in 1831; purchased by W.J. Hough before 1843; Hough & Carpenter ____-1848; Hough & Groff 1848-1852; Hough & Clough 1852-____.
Opened 1855 on second floor of Hough Block, 69 Albany Street, entrance by outside stairway; after the Civil War it was called Military Hall.
Located on Albany Street west of the Public Square.
JACKSON, E.S. & CO.
43 Albany Street 1803-1811.
JACKSON, E.S. & SON
1822-1828 somewhere in the center of the south side of Albany Street.
JACKSON & CO.
1828-(1832) on site of McLaughlin Block?
LANG, JOHN S.
1827-1829 store in Ten Eyck's building at 46-48 Albany Street; 1829-1830 in former Carpenter's store at 35 Albany Street; 1830 moved to Ezra Sprague's Striped Store which stood about 66 Albany Street; he lived at 5 Albany Street in 1824.
KEELER, DAVID G.
____-1856 at 83 Albany Street (Mechanic's or Kossuth Block); 1856-____ at 52 Albany Street (formerly Greenland, Williams & Co. and Williams & Wormouth).
Ebenezer Knowlton jewelry, in Samuel Thomas's office 93 Albany Street.
D.G. Keeler (83 Albany Street?), 1852; east part of the Lincklaen House Block?; D.G. Keeler 1856 next to Bank of Cazenovia; see Mechanics Block.
46-48 Albany Street, opened in 1865 by William Waggoner.
Concert Hall on Lincklaen Street (theater site).
Built 1835-1836, includes the two stores at 81 & 83 Albany Street.
LITCHFIELD, E.B. & E.D.
1833-1846, dry goods store located in the Ten Eyck building at 46-48 Albany Street.
LITCHFIELD & GUITEAU
____-1850 at 53 Albany Street; succeeded by Guiteau, Holmes & Co..
Had a store at 43 Albany Street with E.S. Jackson & Co from 1803 to 1811 when they sold out to the Burrs; Lyman live in a house where the two stone stores stand at 47-49 Albany Street. This house was later occupied by Jacob Ten Eyck, and was moved before 1832 to South Street.
MADISON COUNTY BANK
1831-1867 when the building was sold by the trustees of the bank to William M. Burr Jr. who used it as an office; later office of Burr & Wendell.
MADISON COUNTY EAGLE, WHIG
____-1843 at 54 Albany Street; 1843-1848 in the Burr Block at 43 Albany Street; 1848-1848 at 57 or 59 Albany Street; 1848-(1852) at 47 Albany Street; (in 1850 Samuel Thomas & Son, at 60 Albany Street, gave way to "the biggest Whig in Town" - whatever that meant); Madison County Eagle until May 1845 when it changed it's name to Madison County Whig which was printed until 1857.
1806-1839, located where the Century House now stands on the south side of the Public Square, part of it was moved and converted to the present funeral home and another is the double house on Sullivan Street near the Catholic Church.
69 Albany Street, Hough Block; Hough & Groff 1849.
D.G. Keeler, (83 Albany Street?); east part of Lincklaen House Block; see Kossuth Block.
METHODIST BOOK DEPOSITORY
1856-____, in D.G. Keeler's store at 52 Albany Street.
After Civil War; formerly Hough's Hall, 2nd floor at 69 Albany Street.
CRANDALL & MOSELEY
Formerly Henry & Sweetlands, book store, publishers and printers, 43 Albany Street 1848-1851; moved to the McLaughlin Block in 1851; in 1852 they were succeeded by Crandall & Moseley.
Drug store, 64 Albany Street; originally the approximate site of Jesse Kilborn's drug store and a little later was the site of L.D. Coburn's drug store; occupied by Morse after 1853; later it was Morse & Son and Morse and Co..
Grocery store at 74 Albany Street; he built the present building in 1826 and continued past 1830.
Hat store at 63 Albany Street, 1831-____; hat manufactory near the East Bridge.
OWAHGENA FIRE CO. HALL
1863-____ on the third floor of 54 Albany Street, formerly the Sons of Temperance Hall.
1852-(1865); Groff & Carpenter and Spear & Brother at 74 Albany Street.
Prior to 1822, when J.N.M. Hurd was Post Master, it may have been located in a small brick store behind the Burr Block and fronting on the Public Square; from 1822 past 1836 it wa located in Jesse Kilborn's drug store, which for a short time was located about where the Municipal Building now is; the post office was then moved, with Kilborn's drug store, to 62 or 64 Albany Street; it appears that it was in the Lincklaen House Block prior to February 1845 at which date it was located in the Hough Block; from 1847 to 1850 it was located at 43 Albany Street; in 1850 it was moved back to the Lincklaen House Block; it was moved from 3 Lincklaen Street to 45 Albany Street in 1859 where it remained until about 1865; between 1865 and 1871 it was located in the Flannigan Block at 56 Albany Street; in 1871 it was move to the Hobbie & Rouse Block.
PULFORD & SWEETLANDS
61 Albany Street 1843-(1852); may have been some where else before 1843; this building was occupied by D.M. Pulford when it was damaged by fire in the fall of 1871; it was rebuilt and burned again in 1874; the present building built by Pulford in 1874.
(Temperance hall) 1857, in Hough Block?.
1856, W.J. Hough's store, 69 Albany Street.
REPUBLICAN CLUB ROOM
1856, in Hough Block, 69 Albany Street.
67 Albany Street (1858)-1871 when store burned in the fall; rebuilt in 1872.
RICH'S CLOTHING STORE
1867 at 58 Albany Street, see Syracuse Clothing Store.
Store at 46-48 Albany Street to 1813; Jacob Ten Eyck store here 1813-1815; Roberts sold building to R.G. Allen in 1825; Allen sold in 1834 to Sally Roberts who sold in 1840 to William Burton and E.B. & E.D. Litchfield; Burton sold his share to the Litchfields in 1841 and in 1848 they sold the property to Henry Ten Eyck who owned it for many years; Roberts and Ten Eyck were the only owners who had stores here, all others leased it out.
ROBINSON & ROUSE BLOCK
1879, (the McLaughlin Block?).
1867 & 1868, 58 Albany Street, see Syracuse Clothing Store.
1879, McLaughlin Block.
To 1850 at 55 Albany Street, 1850-____ at 69 Albany Street.
85 Albany Street, built 1869 by Orrin W. Sage; occupied by W.W. Watkins' book store to ____.
Location unknown, at 85 Albany Street?
1818, on Lincklaen Street, at corner of Albany & Lincklaen Streets?.
SONS OF TEMPERANCE HALL
____-1863, on the third floor of 54 Albany Street; 1863-____ it was occupied as the Owahgena Fire Co. Hall.
SPEAR & BROTHER
1857-____, in the People's Store at 74 Albany Street.
SPENCER & BROWN
Stove and tin shop at 3 Lincklaen Street 1849-(1852)
SPRAGUE & WRIGHT
in the Striped Store to 1829 which was located about 66 Albany Street.
STANLEY, B.F.; STANLEY, BOWMAN H.
B.F.Stanley 1865-1867 at 56 Albany Street, Bowman H. Stanley 1867-1868 at 56 Albany Street.
1820s - early 1830s, stood about 66 Albany Street; in 1831 it was two doors east of the Post Office which was a 62 or 64 Albany Street.
61 Albany Street, see Pulford & Sweetlands.
SYRACUSE CLOTHING STORE
1866, 58 Albany Street; later Rich's Clothing Store, Danziger Brother's, Simon Roeder.
____-1871 at 56 Albany Street; moved with post office to Hobbie & Rouse Block 1871-____.
TEN EYCK BLOCK
53-59 Albany Street, being the former Dwyer's Pharmacy; Isaac Lyman sold a lot consisting of 47-59 Albany Street to Jacob Ten Eyck in 1815, with Lyman's old house standing on 47 & 49, and a barn; Ten Eyck built a wooden store on the east part of the lot (57-59) in 1815 (the barn was between the house and store?); Ten Eyck may have built the two stone stores at 47 & 49 Albany Street in 1832; Ten Eyck sold the lot at 51 Albany Street to the Madison County Bank in May 1831 and the bank building was built in 1831 or `32; Jacob Ten Eyck built a four story brick store at 53-55 in 1844; Ten Eyck's office was built between this and the old store before 1859; the 1844 brick building burned in the spring of 1871; at this time the office was removed and the 1815 wooden store was moved to the back alley and used as an apartment house known as the "Beehive"; the present Ten Eyck Block was built by Henry Ten Eyck in 1871; Henry Ten Eyck purchased the old Roberts store at 46-48 Albany Street in 1848 and owned it for many years, it was occupied by dry goods and crockery stores.
Leather shop for several generations; 1808-1833 in a small shop located at 58 Albany Street; built the stone store at 58 Albany Street in 1833 where he remained until 1850 when he moved his shop and office to 93 Albany Street which was near his house at 91 Albany Street.
1879, 70-72 Albany Street.
Books 1869-____ at 85 Albany Street, the Sage Block.
1857 owned by L.G. Wells a cabinet maker.
WILLIAMS, JOHN, CORNER
76 Albany Street, house of Eliakim Roberts originally stood here, store built by John Williams in 1815 and enlarge to the south in 1823; occupied by Williams until 1847 when John Williams & Son moved one door south on Mill Street; in the 1850s it was known as the "People's Store".
1846-1849 at 49 Albany Street, 1849-(1852) at 47 Albany Street.
1871-____ at 54 Albany Street.
WRIGHT & JENKINS
1829-1831 (late John S. Lang) at 46-48 Albany Street; Wright & Jenkins built Hough Block at 69 Albany Street in 1831 and kept a store there until ____.
END of Notes on Finding Strore Locations in the Village of Cazenovia, NY