Research Notes from the
Cazenovia Republican
Published in Cazenovia, NY
1854

compiled by
Daniel H. Weiskotten
Created February 3, 2004

Click here to go back to the Cazenovia, Fenner and Nelson RootsWeb Main Page
Click here to go back to the Newspaper Main Page
Click here to go back to the Research Notes Main Page
Click here to go back to the Cazenovia Republican Research Notes Main Page


Click on the date to go to the notes for that year

1854   1855   1856   1857   1858   1859   1860


Notes are paraphrased except where indicated by "quotes"

The first date given is that of the issue in which the item appears
The date at the end in parentheses is the internal date of the advertisement



(News items only, no advertisements noted)


5/3/1854
First issue of the Cazenovia Republican, Published by W.H. Phillips & S. Lake, office in Clarke & Hobbie's New Block, 3rd Story.

5/3/1854
"A Glance at Things About Town"

5/3/1854
Warner & Cleaveland [meat market].

5/3/1854
M. Parmelee & Son have opened a grocery and provision store on Lincklaen Street opposite Capt. Hill's [Recess].

5/10/1854
Groff & Carpenter, the "People's Store."

5/10/1854
Barrett & Montague have opened a meat market in Burr's building one door east of Brown & Perkins' tin shop.

5/17/1854
Advertisers:

5/31/1854
Ben Gillson is laying a new "stoop" in front of Blair's clothing establishment.

6/7/1854
Crandall & Moseley, books.

6/14/1854
D.G. Keeler has fitted up a spacious awning in front of his boot and shoe store.

6/21/1854
L.E. Swan, daguerreotype gallery on the Public Square.

7/12/1854
The Catholic Church will be dedicated July 5, 1854.

7/12/1854
S. Gillson of the "Annas House," in DeRuyter, has leased the Cazenovia House and will take possession soon.

8/30/1854
"Several laborers are now engaged in digging a channel at the outlet of the lake, for the purpose of draining the water for the use of the canal.  It is proposed ... to have this channel of sufficient depth to draw off two feet from the surface of the lake."

9/6/1854
W. Atkinson of Bingley Mills 2 1/2 miles north of Cazenovia on Chittenango Creek, gives thanks for more than 20 years of patronage.

9/13/1854
Robbery at Bates' grocery store (formerly occupied by T. Bishop).

9/13/1854
John C. Ryan, one door west of Hough's.

9/20/1854
Canal Meeting at the Presbyterian Church. The plan adapted by the board would draw off 4 1/2 feet of water from the surface of the lake for canal purposes, which would almost entirely destroy the water power at the mills [on Mill Street].

9/20/1854
Dr. Foord's drug store robbed.

9/20/1854
New goods at Groff & Carpenter's, Pulford & Sweetland's and Hobbie & Clarke's.

9/27/1854
The fountain in the "Park" at the east end of Albany Street is being constructed.  It is fed by the spring above Phinney's tannery.  It will be double the size of the largest of our public cisterns.  A substantial water trough is to be built below.

9/27/1854
S.H. Gillson, formerly of the Annas House, DeRuyter, has now fitted up the Cazenovia House.

10/18/1854
A new schoolhouse has been built on Sullivan Street, District #1.

10/25/1854
N.T. Shute has purchased his partner's interest in Combs & Shute, carriage making, painting, etc., at the old location, at the west end of the Public Square on Albany Street.

11/1/1854
Cazenovia Farmer's & Mechanics Fair:

11/22/1854C.B. Green, American Daguerrean Gallery, corner of Albany & Sullivan Streets.

GO TO 1855