Research Notes from the
Cazenovia Republican
Published in Cazenovia, NY
1855

compiled by
Daniel H. Weiskotten
Created February 3, 2004

Click here to go back to the Cazenovia, Fenner and Nelson RootsWeb Main Page
Click here to go back to the Newspaper Main Page
Click here to go back to the Research Notes Main Page
Click here to go back to the Cazenovia Republican Research Notes Main Page


Click on the date to go to the notes for that year

1854   1856   1857   1858   1859   1860


Notes are paraphrased except where indicated by "quotes"

The first date given is that of the issue in which the item appears
The date at the end in parentheses is the internal date of the advertisement



(News items only, no advertisements noted)

GO BACK TO 1854

1/24/1855
Morse & Phillips have made and placed over their painting establishment a novel sign which reads three different stories.  One person may read "Sign Painting" another can see "Graining & Marbling" and still another will discover "House Painting."  All these branches are executed in the best style by Morse & Phillips.  This exhibition of "dissolving views," above alluded to, can be seen without charge from Albany Street, at any hour of the day.

1/24/1855
Gerrit Smith's new house in Peterboro is nearly completed, most of the work being done by mechanics from this village.  The carpenter and joiner work by Mr. Springstead, painting and graining by H. Van Driesen, and masonry by Dodge & Sherwood.

2/28/1855
W.H. Dwinnelle is joined by Dr. J.H. Phelps as Dwinnelle & Phelps, dentists.  Phelps is formerly of the firm of Smith & Phelps of Syracuse.

3/21/1855
The Darling Brothers, former residents of Cazenovia, have a new saleratus factory in Rome.  They have been in the business some 15-16 years.

3/21/1855
A.W. Van Riper and Timothy Buel have purchased the woolen factory of the late John Williams and will convert it to a machine shop.

4/4/1855
James M. Alden has been engaged during the past winter manufacturing a great variety of cabinet ware for Gerrit Smith, most of which is complete and fitted up in his mansion in Peterboro.

4/4/1855
Blair & Nichols have formed a co-partnership and moved their tailoring establishment to the store on Albany Street recently vacated by Mr, Hutchinson.

4/4/1855
Mr. Chapple has discontinued his milk business and J.B. Morse is to take his place.

4/4/1855
Benjamin F. Chandler has moved his grocery store to the store recently occupied by B.J. Kinne.

4/11/1855
(On April 6, 1855) W. Jerome Hough's store was nearly burned by rats chewing on matches.  The fire was discovered by Mr. Irons, the clerk, about 10:00 pm.

4/11/1855
Messrs. Garratt and Thomas T. Worlock have purchased John C. Loomis' tannery in New Woodstock and his interest in the boot and shoe store connected with the tannery.  G.H. Garratt will continue the harness business at their establishment in this village.

4/11/1855
The brick office at the foot of Albany Street near the lake is to be removed and a neat and smaller edifice is to be built on the vacant lot opposite the book store.  Nelson Prentice is to do the carpenter work and N.G. Webber the mason work.

4/11/1855
Carriages manufactured by H.G. Paddock at the establishment of N.T. Shute.

4/18/1855
J. Woodward will discontinue his mercantile business about the first of May.  He has conducted this business for upwards of 20 years in this village.

4/18/1855
Groff & Carpenter in The People's Store.

4/18/1855
Backus & Hackley have purchased the interest of their former partner, James Dodge, in the foundry business, and will continue at their old establishment.

5/2/1855
Garratt & Worlock, harnesses, trunks, etc, also boots and shoes, store in New Woodstock.

5/2/1855
C.C. Webber, cabinet maker, over Garratt's harness shop, 2nd and 3rd stories.

5/2/1855
Barrett & Montague have dissolved partnership, now run by Amasa Barrett one door west of Pulford & Sweetlands.

5/9/1855
The gates at the west bridge were shut by the Canal Authorities to keep water in the lake.

5/9/1855
About 1:00 pm (May 7, 1855) the building used for drying doors, near the sash factory of Sage & Co., was burned and over 300 doors were destroyed.

5/9/1855
Van Riper & Buel have completed the arrangement of their establishment near the East Bridge.  A.W. Van Riper has been engaged in the manufacture of Town Clocks, and specimens of his workmanship are found in almost every part of the country and Canada.  He has been directly interested in their manufacture for three years and the establishment in this village has made and sold more Town and City Clocks than all similar concerns in the US.  Mr. Buel is a skillful and ingenious mechanic.

5/9/1855
Empire Works of Van Riper & Buel, Town and City Clocks, and all kinds of brass machinery, turning and fitting iron, brass or wood, blacksmithing and repairing.

5/16/1855
N.T. Shute, carriages on the west side of the Public Square.

5/16/1855
Death of Zadock Sweetland, May 12, 1855, age 73 years.  He had moved to Cazenovia from Andover CT about 45 years ago (1810).

5/16/1855
A sword was found on the farm of William Sherwood.  It may be Indian of French manufacture.

5/30/1855
New signs put up by D.G. Keeler and Blair & Nichols were painted by H.D. Phillips of Morse & Phillips.

5/30/1855
M. McHale has opened a bakery two doors west of Foord’s Drug Store.

6/13/1855
J.D. Ledyard has presented to the Village the deed for the land vacated by the removal of his brick office from its old location on Albany Street near the landing of the lake.  It is to be kept free of obstructions.

6/13/1855
The Canal Board has appropriated all the water going over the dam at the Red Mill for Canal purposes.

6/20/1855
O.W. Sage offers his house and lot on Lincklaen Street and 200,000 feet of white pine lumber, flooring, siding etc. with the tools and machinery of the sash factory.

6/27/1855
M.S. Nichols is moving his machine shop from its former location to the building on the corner of Albany Street and the Public Square.  The power for the machinery will be furnished by a steam engine which Mr. Nichols has manufactured for that purpose.

6/27/1855
H.L. Marsh of the Park House.

7/4/1855
John Hearsey had liquor seized illegally.

7/4/1855
Article on the sash factory (summarized here)
    The sash factory has been conducted by Sage & Co. for nearly four years.  The first floor is used for the manufacture of window blinds, where every portion of the blinds is prepared exclusively by machinery.  The second floor is used for making doors, where machinery does all the work but put them together.  The doors, although made of seasoned lumber are thoroughly kiln dried in a separate building where a latticed floor is constructed over stoves, where the doors are placed in an upright position for about one week.  Afterwards they are finished.  On the third floor sash are made, here too the work is prepared by machines, and all parts of the window are planed, morticed and tenoned with great rapidity.  A force pump has been constructed which is run by the machinery of the establishment and can throw 150 gallons per minute.  The business has been greatly expanded and increased under the management of the present proprietors.  100,000 feet of seasoned pine lumber was purchased for the business last year.

7/4/1855
$100.00 was donated to the Village by J.D. Ledyard for improvement of the pier and slip at the foot of Albany Street.

7/18/1855
G.W. Carpenter has disposed of his interest in the “People’s Store” to Eli A. Spear of New York, who will continue with Groff as Groff & Spear.  Mr. Carpenter is to move to Syracuse.

7/18/1855
Backus & Hackley will commence operations at their foundry in a day or two.  The have fitted up a steam engine to carry on their business.

8/3/1855
John Hearsey has obtained a license to sell liquor for medicinal and mechanical purposes.

9/5/1855
M. Parmelee & Son have purchased the building now occupied by James M. Alden as a cabinet shop and will fit it up as a grocery store.  Mr. Alden will move to Syracuse.

9/5/1855
John H. Little may be found at the blacksmith shop connected with the carriage establishment formerly conducted by N.T. Shute.

9/5/1855
Hiram Brown may be found at N.T. Shute’s former shop, where he is ready to execute job work, in the way of repairing or manufacturing.

9/19/1855
A new plow has been invented by J. Chubbock.

9/26/1855
Article on Town Clocks (summarized here)
    Town Clocks are manufactured by Van Riper & Buel, and they make several sizes of new and original designs..  Mr. Van Riper has been engaged in making Town Clocks for several years.  The [gear arrangement] he uses was done by [Orlando] Blanchard, well known author of “Blanchard’s Arithmetic.”

10/17/1855
W.J. Hough, dry goods at the “Regulator.”

10/17/1855
We are pleased to learn that W.J. Hough is about to fit up a large and commodious hall over his store, suitable for public meetings, lectures, concerts, etc.  The want of such a convenience has long been felt in this village and we are glad that Mr. Hough has consented to supply it, while, at the same time, we cannot doubt that it will prove to be a profitable undertaking.

10/17/1855
Premiums at the Cazenovia Farmer’s and Mechanic’s Fair:

10/24/1855
Dissolution of Morse & Phillips, to be continued by George Morse.  H.D. Phillips continues graining and sign and fancy painting.

10/31/1855
C. Newton and O.C. Slocum have joined partnership for the manufacture and sale of flooring, siding, ceiling, etc.  Their lumberyard is at the Empire Machine Shop.  They have purchased an entire lot of lumber of Sage & Co. and moved it to the village and will furnish pine flooring, siding, ceilings, etc., planed and matched.  Also job work such as sawing, planing and matching for builders, carpenter and others.  They have also purchased part of the machinery used in the sash factory at Ferndell.

11/7/1855
Death of Joseph Greenland, age 49 years, of Greenland Williams & Co.  When Mr. Greenland entered the upper room of his currier shop in the rear of his store he fell through a trap door to the lower floor, about seven feet.  He had been in business in this village for more than 20 years.  The stores were closed during the funeral.

11/14/1855
M. Parmelee & Son’s grocery store has been moved to the building two doors west of the post office.

11/21/1855
A clock made by Van Riper & Buel has been placed in the tower of a college in Greencastle, (IN).  It is “a work of admirable ingenuity, and beautiful workmanship in action.  It is the invention of Mr. Van Riper, and it is the finest specimen yet put in operation.”

11/28/1855
Williams and Wormuth, partners in the late firm of Greenland, Williams & Co., will continue the shoe and leather business.  Andrew Dardis has purchased an interest in the boot and shoe business of the concern.

12/5/1855
Hough’s New Hall to be dedicated.

12/5/1855
Disturbance near Carroll’s Grocery, a low grocery kept on the corner of Albany and Farnham Streets by an Irishman named Thomas Carroll, where too many of his countrymen take too much bad liquor.  The neighbors hope that the shop may be shut up.  Another such establishment is about to be opened in a cellar on Albany Street.

12/5/1855
Miss Mary A. Smith opens a Select School in the Eddy Block near the Presbyterian Church.

12/12/1855    S.H. Gillson, proprietor of the Cazenovia House.

12/12/1855
Accident at the foundry of Backus & Hackley.  James Dodge was painfully burned but escaped without dangerous injury.  When regulating the engines used in the foundry a pipe which conducts the steam from the boiler burst, with such force it knocked him down.

12/19/1855
A clock by Van Riper & Buell is on display at the Mechanics Fair in Syracuse.

12/26/1855
A serious row at the “new grocery” recently opened on Albany Street.  “The groggery is kept open for the special benefit of two individuals - the keeper and the person who owns the cellar.”



GO TO 1856