Research Notes from the
Madison County Whig
Published in Cazenovia, NY

Loose Issue of September 12, 1855

compiled by
Daniel H. Weiskotten
Created February 3, 2004

Click here to go back to the Cazenovia, Fenner and Nelson RootsWeb Main Page
Click here to go back to the Newspaper Main Page
Click here to go back to the Research Notes Main Page
Click here to go back to Madison County Eagle - Whig Research Notes Main Page


Notes are paraphrased except where indicated by "quotes"
The first date given is that of the issue in which the item appears
The date at the end in parentheses is the internal date of the advertisement




9/12/1855
H.A. Coolidge, Editor and Proprietor of The Madison County Whig, Albany Street, 2 doors east of the bank.

9/12/1855
“M.S. Nichols has supplied his machine shop with a compact and beautiful steam engine of his own design and construction.  It is highly finished and works rapidly and quietly.”

9/12/1855
“Mr. Charles Welsch, for a couple of years Professor of Painting and Elegant Sketching in the Seminary, . . . left Monday for Europe to revisit his trans-Atlantic home, with the purpose of being absent about a year.”

9/12/1855
Auction of Carriages and other property at N.T. Shute’s carriage shop.

9/12/1855
“S.C. Caswell leaves this week for the west - Wisconsin or Iowa . . . The changes in business here and the cheapness of land there are inducing many to seek their fortunes in a newer region.”

9/12/1855
The Peak family gave a concert in the Free Church.

9/12/1855
“W.J. Hough is about to convert the third story of his building into a Public Hall.  Its dimensions will be nearly 30 x 60 feet and 15 feet in height.”

9/12/1855
T.L. Harris, MD, has obtained the necessary authority (due to the Maine Law) and has for sale a select stock of liquors and wines for medicinal, mechanical, and sacramental purposes. (8/29/1855)

9/12/1855
George Hackley keeps on hand a supply of fresh ground flour and meal at the Red Mill. (8/27/1855)

9/12/1855
The firm of A. Annas & Co. is dissolved.  Settle with William Harris at their late place of business. (7/16/1855)

9/12/1855
John H. Litle (Little?) has purchased the Ironing Shop lately connected with Combs & Shute’s carriage shop and will continue to do all kinds of iron work for wagons, carriages, cuters, sleighs, etc. as well as most branches of general blacksmithing. (8/27/1855)

9/12/1855
M. McHale is continuing his baking business at his store on Albany Street three doors west of the bank. (7/20/1855)

9/12/1855
Pulford & Sweetland want butter, cheese, eggs, rags, and all kinds of farmer’s produce. (5/1855)

9/12/1855
W. Jerome Hough wants 500 firkins of butter delivered to his store. (8/29/1855)

9/12/1855
Henry Groff and George W. Carpenter have dissolved as the firm of Groff & Carpenter. (7/1/1855)

9/12/1855
Henry Groff and Eli Spear have entered into copartnership and will continue the general mercantile business of Groff & Spear. (7/1/1855)

9/12/1855
W.J. Hough, haying tools. (7/10/1855)

9/12/1855
Dr. Foord’s Pectoral Syrup. (not dated)

9/12/1855
A. Barrett, meat market has moved to the shop adjoining Pulford & Sweetlands. (5/1/1855)

9/12/1855
John Greenland, at Greenland, Williams, & Co., has clocks for sale.  Watches, clocks, and jewelry cleaned and repaired and warranted. (6/20/1855)

9/12/1855
Pulford & Sweetland have carpets and oil cloth. (5/1855)

9/12/1855
A. Annas & W. Harris, under the name of Annas & Co., have opened a Botanic Drug Store on Albany Street, 3 doors east of the Lincklaen House Block. (4/23/1855)

9/12/1855
A. Annas & Co., family groceries, fresh fruit, Dr. Harris’ Compound Balsam of Tacamahaca. (4/23/1855)

9/12/1855
Charles N. Taylor, New Woodstock, chain pumps, all warranted, “and from his experience in their manufacture and setting, he is confident they will, in all cases, give entire satisfaction.  he is also prepared to repair pumps, and keep chains, reels, cranks, &c. for sale.” (4/23/1855)

9/12/1855
K.N. Guiteau will have machinery for manufacturing flax directly from the straw ready for operation about the middle of May.  He will purchase flax straw delivered directly at his factory, two miles north of the village, on Chittenango Creek.  God seed can be procured at the oil mills in Cazenovia and DeRuyter. (4/13/1854)

9/12/1855
Blair & Nichols, spring and summer clothing, ready made clothing, custom work and cutting done to order. (5/2/1855)

9/12/1855
J.C. Ryan, clothes, cassimeres, vestings, and redy made clothing. (4/18/1855)

9/12/1855
W. Jerome Hugh, dry goods, groceries, crockery, hardware, etc.. (5/15/1855)

9/12/1855
J. Nickerson, hats and caps. (5/1/1855)

9/12/1855
J. Perkins has opened a new meat market one door east of Brown & Perkins’. (4/25/1855)

9/12/1855
L.E. Swan has moved his shop for watch and clock repairing to the shop two doors west of Brown & Perkins’, nearly opposite the drug store. (6/11/1853)

9/12/1855
N.T. Shute, carriage making, painting, etc., at the old location on Albany Street, west of the Public Square.  he has purchased the interest in the business carried on under the name of Combs & Shute. (10/2/1854)

9/12/1855
Groff & Carpenter, carpets and oil cloths, clothes, domestics, crockery, dress goods. (not dated)

9/12/1855
H. Benson offers his house and shop on Albany Street, 50 x 109 feet, for sale.  “One of the best locations for a blacksmith shop in the village.”

9/12/1855
L.D. Coburn, and John Fairchild, local dealers of L.A. Page’s Anodyne Oil for Piles, Dead Shot Bead Bug Killer, Bryan’s Pulmonic Wafers, Dr. U.H. Kellogg’s Worm Tea, etc.. (not dated)

9/12/1855
Hendrick deClercq and William K. Porter have secured the blood horse Pryor, “with a view to improvement of the breed horses in this vicinity.”  Pryor will be at the Park House stable on Mondays, the Woodstock Hotel stable on Thursdays, at the Delphi Hotel stable on Saturdays, and on other days at home. (5/19/1855)

9/12/1855
B. Gilson has opened a boot and shoe store one door west of the Lincklaen House. (5/3/1855)

9/12/1855
Pulford & Sweetlands, dry goods, hardware, groceries, etc.. (5/1855)

9/12/1855
M.S. Nichols offers a set of Jackseaews / Jackscaews (probably jacksaws or jackscrews) and two small hand lathes for sale. (not dated)

9/12/1855
Wood & Anderson, stage line, four daily stages to and from Chittenango Station, Cazenovia, DeRuyter, the Springs, by the new or the old road.  Livery establishment at Chittenango, general stage office at the Lincklaen House. (6/1855)

9/12/1855
Blair & Nichols, Empire Clothing Store, Albany Street, one door west f Groff & Carpenter’s store. (6/20/1855)

9/12/1855
E.K. Jenkins, grocery and provision store, New Woodstock.  He has rented the building on the corner opposite Stanton & Wadsworth’s store.  It was just fitted up by B.W. Baum. (5/29/1855)

9/12/1855
S.H. Howe is in the possession of, and has thoroughly repaired the carding and cloth dressing establishment near Bingley Mills, Town of Fenner, formerly owned by Horace Thompson, and is prepared, with the assistance of Mr. Bacon, the well known and experienced workman, to execute business with promptness, fidelity, and dispatch, and with untiring efforts to please our customers. (5/1855)

9/12/1855
B. Barber offers for sale his house and lot on Grove Street in Cazenovia (probably Sullivan Street). (6/27/1855)

9/12/1855
L.C. Booth, physician and surgeon, Nelson Flatts and vicinity. (not dated)

9/12/1855
L.A. Eggelston, livery stable, in the rear of the crockery store. (not dated)

9/12/1855
W.H. Dwinelle, dental surgery, office third door south of Clarke & Hobbie’s store. (not dated)

9/12/1855
Peter A. Touisant, fashionable hair cutting and shaving saloon, opposite Hough & Clough’s store. (not dated)

9/12/1855
William Burton & Son, Syracuse, mirrors, window trimmings, frames, etc.. (not dated)

9/12/1855
R. Thomas, attorney and counselor at law. (not dated)

9/12/1855
Weld’s daguerrean rooms, Hobbie & Clarke Block, opposite the Lincklaen House. (not dated)

9/12/1855
K.N. Guiteau, insurance agent. (not dated)

9/12/1855
T.L. Harris, botanical physician and surgeon office in his residence on Farnham Street, two doors south of the Universalist Church. (1/1/1855)

9/12/1855
Morse & Phillips, house and fancy painting, graining, glazing, paper hanging, fresco painting, etc., windows, blinds, blind trimmings, etc., - paint store. (1/31/1855)

9/12/1855
Sealed proposals are being received by the Canal Commissioners, from August 25 to September 20, 1855, for construction of the Cazenovia Lake reservoir. (8/25/1855)

9/12/1855
Dr. J.F. Phelps, of the firm of Smith & Phelps of Syracuse, has joined with W. H. Dwinelle as Dwinelle & Phelps, dentists.  The have “fitted up a Laboratory with Furnaces and other conveniences for manufacturing Block Teeth, Continuous Gums, &c., &c., so they are enabled to construct any part of the artificial fixtures without depending upon those furnished from abroad.” (2/15/1855)

9/12/1855
S.D. Redfield “offers for sale a select and choice variety of Apple, Pear, Plumb, Quince, and Cherry Trees, ... Antwerp raspberries, Dutch Currants, Victoria and Downing’s Mammoth Pie Plant.  Also a quantity of Early Potatoes.” (3/23/1855)

9/12/1855
J.L. Larrabee and C.N. Taylor have dissolved their partnership. (not dated)

9/12/1855
L. D. Coburn carries Hobenask’s Worm Syrup and Liver Pills. (not dated)

9/12/1855
Dr. A. Foord, L.D. Coburn, and J. Fairchild carry Ayer’s Pills and Cherry Pectoral. (not dated)

9/12/1855
P.E. Blair and Joseph Nichols have formed a partnership in the tailoring business and have removed their establishment to the store on Albany Street recently occupied by M. Hutchinson. (4/1/1855)

9/12/1855
A. Foord has doubled the size of his Pectoral Syrup Bottles without proportionally increasing the price. (not dated)

9/12/1855
L.E. Swan has upwards of 1,000 pairs of spectacles for sale at reasonable prices. (4/23/1855)