"Central Office of the Letchworth District"
Excerpt from History and Background of the Letchworth Central School
by Ray C. Witter, 1 August 1951
The "nerve center" of the Letchworth Central
District is located at the Central Office, just outside the village of
Castile on the Castile-Lamont highway, Route 39. From this point the
activities of the District are directed.
The central office is one of eight structures making up
the Letchworth Central Schools. While no grades or classes are held in
the old frame building, formerly known as the Kingsley District, it is a
center of activities for many board and faculty group gatherings.
Numerous cars are frequently parked around the structure, school buses
roll in, parents call, the phone (on a party line) has constant
activity, many discussions take place. Here all records and reports are
completed, checks are written, the school paper is published (via
Mimeograph), and the Board of Education meets. Especially during the
period when the new school plan proposed was worked on, there was night
activity, often to the early morning hours, at the old grade school
building. It is officially occupied by the supervising principal whose
job description defies analysis, the school secretary (who also
functions as clerk), and the school nurse during hours when they are not
engaged in other supervisory duties throughout the area. A station wagon
has been provided by the Board of Education for the use of the
supervising principal and his staff.
Far from the plush interior of a modern central school
office, the old rural school building is equipped with the necessary
"tools" to promote the administrative activities of the school, but
could scarcely be accused by the most rabid opponent of the proposed new
building to offer "frills" of any kind, including even such conveniences
as janitorial service and allowance of privacy for discussion of
polices, teacher and pupil problems.
From 1943 to 1946, the building was unused. Upon centralization of the
Letchworth District to include Silver Springs, Castile, Bliss,
Gainesville, Lamont, Pike and Hermitage, a "Central School Office" was
established in the old school on August 1, 1946.
Mr. Harold J. Harrison, for many years District
Superintendent of Schools in this area, moved his office to this point.
Miss Mary Dumbleton of Gainesville assumed duties as school secretary
and clerk to the new central board.
In August, 1949, with the election of a supervising
principal and the beginning of a building program, Mr. Harrison moved
his office to his Castile home. The new staff consisted of Ray C. Witter
as principal and Laurel Flint as secretary and clerk.
During the concluding weeks of the 1950-51 school year,
Mrs. Melvina Randall has acted as an assistant clerical worker at the
Central Office. There are plenty of details to be attended, including
the handling of supplies which are picked up at the Erie Railroad
station, the constant detail of school repairs and bus inspections, the
daily mail, the applications of teachers, and the consideration of
policies for the new year. Someone must be on the job during working
hours at least five days of the week.