About two miles southwest of Sinclairville, is one of the earliest
places set apart for the burial of the dead, in the central part of the county.
It is near what was once known as the Barnes
Place, in the northeast corner of the town of Ellery, close to Cassadaga
creek, and not far from a pleasant natural grove of original forest trees. It was
in use from the earliest period of settlement by the people who reside upon Pickard street in
Ellery, and upon the town-line road between Ellery and Gerry, and in South Stockton, and by some who resided in the vicinity of
Sinclairville. Over three hundred burials have been made here. The earliest
inscription is that upon an old head-stone at the grave of Margaret Love, who
died February 3, 1823. Among those best known, interred in this ground, are
John Pickard, a soldier of the Revolution; Elisha Tower, John Love,
Jared Nicholson, Zaccheus Norton, Peter Pickard, a soldier of the war of
1812, Abel Brunson, Levi Love, John Tompkins.
Inscribed upon the headstones in this grave-yard are
the names of many well known families in this part of the county. Among them
frequently appears the name of Pickard, Love, Becker, Denike, Stom,
Vanderwaker, Lenox, Patterson, Brunson, Norton, Demott, Rogers,
Carpenter, Tompkins, Denison, Rooker, Kibbe, Tefft, Woodworth, Putnam, White
This burial ground has been enlarged from time to
time, and now contains about two and one-half acres. The
present trustees are Arkinzo Norton, Asa Tefft, and
James Becker. Arkinzo Norton is the superintendent.
Source: HISTORY OF EVERGREEN CEMETERY,
SINCLAIRVILLE, CHAUT. CO., N. Y. And Other
Burial Grounds in its Vicinity, with its—LAWS, RULES, REGULATIONS, NAMES
OF LOT-OWNERS, AND MAP.
Prepared by Obed Edson, under the direction of the Trustees
of Evergreen Cemetery Association; Sinclairville, N. Y.: Press of The
Provided by Deb Haines, ILGenWeb ASC, cc of Grundy & Will Counties