RUNDELL BURIAL SITE
ARKWRIGHT, NY

Located on private property on south side of County Road 72,  between County Road 77 and County Road 85,  on hill behind barn.
Abandoned

Rundell family burials,  only fieldstones remain.
PUBLIC NOT WELCOME!!
Some remains have been removed to Burnham Hollow Cemetery.


SUNSET HILL CEMETERY
BUSTI, NY

This cemetery is maintained and in current use.

Inscriptions and burial records are on file at cemetery office.

Write:

Sunset  Hill Cemetery
P.O.  Box  517
Jamestown,  NY  14701


SWEDISH CEMETERY
BUSTI, NY

Maintained -  now included with  Busti  Cemetery

Records available

Write:

Covenant  Archives
5125  North Spalding Ave.
Chicago,  IL  60625


BUSH CEMETERY
BUSTI, NY

This cemetery was located on pine Ridge Road, south of Busti village.

It was destroyed in 1948

No Known Inscriptions.


BROCTON CEMETERY
BROCTON, NY

This cemetery was located on the south side of  Main Street in Brocton, across from the Baptist church.  No Longer in existence. Was not used for burials after 1880 and  most of the bodies were removed to Portland Evergreen Cemetery by 1908.

First burial was in 1812,  the wife of Ebenezer Williams.  H.C. Taylor lists at least six other burials in his Historical Sketches.


OAK HILL CEMETERY
CARROLL, NY

This cemetery is located about 4 miles east of Frewsburg on Oak Hill Road.

No longer is in use.  Also known as Oak Hill Swedish Cemetery.

Stones from 1875 - 1909.  Only 4 markers remain.

Read 1961 by Edna and John Ingham and in 1983 by Ethel G. Bastian.

BERGSTROM Father   Andrew
   Mother Cristine
   sister   Alma

FOSBURG  Nels    1834 - 1895
   Helena 1834 - 1909

NORDIN  Catherine C.    1830 - 1897
                                     ( 1 Sam.  2:3-4  1 Cor.  15: 54-57)

VESTERBURG Peter 1833 - 1849
   Annie 1870 - 1875


CHASE BURIAL SITE
CHARLOTTE, NY

Members of the CHASE family were told, in the earlier days, of a burying ground in the Town of Charlotte,  on the high knoll north of Cook Road,  with one stone remaining.  A stone with information identical to the one described is located in Evergreen Cemetery in Sinclairville.  We are convinced this was a burying ground but to what extent?  Who was buried there?


PIERPONT FARM BURYING GROUND
CHARLOTTE, NY

Located east side of County Road 75 south of Pickett Cemetery.

Abandoned, nothing to be seen.

In the summer of 1810,  Mrs Joseph ARNOLD and her sister Jerusha BARAS, died on consecutive days and were buried in a common grave on the farm of Chaunccy Pierpont,  where they lived.


RISLEY ROAD CEMETERY
CHERRY CREEK, NY

On the south side of Risley Road. Abandoned.

Only part of one stone is legible possibly only a hsb. and wife buried here.


HARRIET BENTLEY BURIAL SITE
CHERRY CREEK, NY

On east side of NY 83  between the road and railroad tracks.  Disappeared
No Known Inscriptions.

An Elmer E. Rundell of Clymer in 1849 stated “my father’s youngest sister Harriet Rundell Bentley was buried there more than 60 years ago.”

___________________________________________________
Some research by Dolores Davidson (2003):

She is Harriet RUNDELL Bentley  born ca 1849, SISTER of JESSE RUNDELL, and ELMER / ELMORE  
was not born in Clymer until 1874 Son of JESSE and JESSE was born 1846

Harriet married to JOSEPH BENTLEY ca 1844 in Cherry Creek, a son of
George Washington Bentley and Patience KING, Harriet died 1875
Harriet was the 2nd of at least 3 wives of Joseph; she bore one son, SETH
Bentley ca 1870 in Cherry Creek who died in California , 1953;

California Death Index, 1940-1997
BENTLEY SETH COOK MALE 24 Jul 1869 11 Feb 1953
born NEW YORK died SAN BERNARDINO mother RUNDELL father BENTLEY


GARDNER FAMILY BURIAL SITE
CHERRY CREEK, NY

East side of Pickup Hill Road,  north of Pinner Road, behind a barn.  Nothing remains.

Several members of the Gardner family were buried here.  One monument in Cherry Creek Central Cemetery is inscribed with all of their names.


HOLY TRINITY CEMETERY
DUNKIRK, NY

Maintained and in current use.  Originally ethnic Italian.

Information on burials which began in 1914 can be had by writing:

Holy Trinity R C Church
1032 Central Avenue
Dunkrik,  NY  14048


PASSIONIST ORDER CEMETERY
DUNKIRK, NY

Abandoned,  remains removed to Saint Mary’s Cemetery.  Site no longer accessible to the public.  Site of 29 burials of Passionist Order priests.


PIONEER CEMETERY
DUNKIRK, NY

Disappeared, now site of Dunkirk Middle School

A few reinterment records available at St Mary’s Cemetery and at Forest Hill Cemetery.
(see Town of Pomfret Cemeteries)


SAINT HEDWIG'S CEMETERY
DUNKIRK, NY

Located on west side of NY 60 north of Thruway entrance.

Maintained and in current use.

Ethnic - Polish; in 1916 noted as Polish Catholic Cemetery. First burial 1913.

Inscriptions and sectional maps are on file at:

Saint Hedwig’s R C Church
324 Townsend Street
Dunkirk,  NY  14048


SAINT HYACINTH'S CEMETERY
DUNKIRK, NY

Established 1875 as second Polish parish in Western New York

The LDS filmed early records 1879 - 1902 and these available through Family History Centers and at the Reed Library Special Archives.

Also by writing

St. Hyacinth’s  R C Church office
295 Lake Shore Drive East
Dunkirk,  NY  14048


SAINT MARY'S CEMETERY
DUNKIRK, NY

This cemetery is located on the east side of NY 60 at Williams Street.

Maintained and in current use.

Now includes former Town of Dunkirk Cemetery and potter’s field.  The Passionist Order Cemetery remains were moved to St. Mary’s.  Some bodies from the Pioneer Cemetery were also moved to the Town section of this cemetery.

Chautauqua County Genealogical Society has published a record of this Cemetery available in many local collections. 

The records from 1851 - 1910 are available on film at the Reed Library Special Archives.

Associated with St. Elizabeth Ann Seaton R C Church (Formerly St. Mary’s and Sacred Heart Congregations)
You may also write to the church office

St Elizabeth Ann Seaton R C Church
328 Washington Ave.
Dunkirk,  NY  14048

and you may write to the cemetery office

St Mary’s Cemetery
Williams Street
Dunkirk,  NY  14048


TEMPLE BETH EL
DUNKIRK, NY

This cemetery is a part of Willowbrook but this section is limited to burials of those of the Jewish faith.

Records of Burials may be obtained by writing:

Temple Beth El
507 Washington Avenue
Dunkirk, NY 14048


WILLOWBROOK PARK CEMETERY
DUNKIRK, NY

Willowbrook was established in the mid 1930’s, burials date from 1936 to date.

This cemetery is still in use.

Records may be obtained by writing

Willowbrook Park Cemetery
Central Avenue
Dunkirk, NY 14048


ABBEY ROAD BURIAL GROUND
ELLINGTON, NY


This cemetery has disappeared.  Was located at the site of the old schoolhouse of Abbey Road.

No known inscriptions


BABCOCK?
HANOVER, NY

Located in Silver  Creek on northeast corner of Babcock St. and US  20.

A single stone inscribed  “Martha  Day “  was found in 1951 when the Babcock Elementery School was being built.  It was found behind the Victorian house built by Norman Babcock.  The stone was moved to the Babcock plot in Glenwood Cemetery in August  1987.

The stone may have arrived at this location by means other than this having been an actual burial site.


HOPPER ROAD BURIAL GROUNDS
HANOVER, NY

This Cemetery has disappeared.

It was an old cemetery dating back to 1832.  The Hanover Historical Center has records of several property transactions and other legal matters,  from that date.  Names on these papers may suggest family names of burials at this location.

The cemetery was located on Holland Land Company lot # 27.  West of  abandoned road which on 1854 map ran along east lot line from Hanover Road to Hopper Road.

Contact:

Vince Martonis - historian
Hanover Historical Center
68  Hanover St.
Silver  Creek,  NY   14136


CATTARAUGUS VILLAGE CEMETERY
HANOVER, NY

Said to have been the first cemetery in the Town of Hanover.

Located on the south bank of Cattaraugus Creek, 1/4  to 1/2 mile up the creek from the lake.  Disappeared.

Inscriptions on file at Hanover Historical Center.

Supposedly Amos Sottle’s son John was buried here, then Amos’s wife Chloe.  Sottle moved their graves to his own land.  See Sottle Burial Ground.  There are legends of other burials there but the creek has destroyed any trace of these.


FAYETTE CEMETERY
HANOVER, NY

No Known records .  Was in use about 1820 and for some years thereafter.  Oldest cemetery in Silver Creek.  Some bodies and stones were moved to Glenwood Cemetery.

Markers were uncovered when trolley line put through in 1908.


FIRST METHODIST CHURCH CEMETERY
HANOVER, NY

This cemetery has disappeared - it was behaind the (now) First Baptist Church of Silver Creek.  No Known records.  It is reported that bones and stones have occasionally been dug up.


SOTTLE BURIAL GROUNDS
HANOVER, NY

Near Amos Sottle’s Cabin off Spears Road, north side.

Disappeared.

Two burials,  reinterment of John and Chloe Sottle.


NEWTON? CEMETERY
HANOVER, NY

On US 20 2 1/2 miles east of Silver Creek

Disappeared

A single stone marked NEWTON was found behaind the Frosty Freeze store when the miniature golf course was being installed.  It was left in place and can be viewed as patrons play the course.  Since it is the same family name it may have come from the Newton Cemetery on Beebe Road.


ST ANTHONY’S CEMETERY
POMFRET, NY

This cemetery was established in the early 1900’s.  Its’ ethnic orientation is Italian and is associated with St Anthony’s Church in Fredonia, NY.

For burial information write

St. Anthony’s Roman Catholic Church
66 Cushing Street
Fredonia, NY  14063


HARRIS COMMUNITY BURIAL SITE
PORTLAND, NY

This cemetery was located on Vinecliff farm south of NY 5 between County Road 380 and Wenborn Road.

The cemetery has disappeared.  No known inscriptions.

In the Fredonia Censor 2 April 1871 an obituary for James Fowler, a member of the Harris Community, who died in Westfield March 29, 1871; buried March 31 in the grounds at the Harris Community.  a “few deaths” are mentioned in the 1942 work A Prophet and A Pilgrim suggesting that others were buried at this site.

Read about Thomas Lake Harris & the Brotherhood for New Life.


JACOB KLUMPH BURIAL SITE
PORTLAND, NY

From H. C. Taylor’s Historical Sketches.  “Jacob Klumph, by request,  was buried on his farm on lot 47, town 4, between two large rocks, where he still rests.

Precise site is unknown.

Read about the Jacob Klumph family.


JOY BURIAL SITE
PORTLAND, NY

Located on the former Joy farm on Webster Road east of Portland Center.

Disappeared. No known inscriptions exist.

In H.C. Taylor’s Historical Sketches of the Town of Portland he mentions on page 301 “ Old Mr. Joy, father of Capt. David Joy,  and a few others were buried in a field now belonging to Richard Reynolds,  on lot 19, town 5... but the precise spot is difficult to determine.

Read about the David Joy family.


SKINNER CEMETERY
PORTLAND, NY

Was located on the bank of Lake Erie,  within the present site of Lake Erie State Park.

This cemetery has disappeared - no known inscriptions exist.

On page 301 of H.C. Taylor’s Historical Sketches of the Town of Portland,  he states “A cemetery was laid out on the bank of the lake,  on lot 16, town 5,  on lands now (1873) onwed by Horace Skinner.  Many years since,  probably about 1823,  several bodies were deposited here, but a few years since, they were removed to Portland Evergreen or Brocton Cemtery.”


UNION LAWN CEMETERY ASSOCIATION
PORTLAND, NY

Apparently this cemetery assc. was formed in 1869 and held annual meetings until at least 1873, Intending to procure new grounds, to replace the crowded state of the Brocton Cemetery.  No grounds were ever acquired and no burials were made.  Most of the 30 men listed as incorperators of the assc. are now buried in Portland Evergreen cemetery.


HOLDRIDGE CEMETERY
RIPLEY, NY

This cemetery is in the Town of Mina but Ripley people are buried there.

Please see HOLDRIDGE CEMETERY
TOWN OF MINA


SHERIDAN CEMETERY
SHERIDAN, NY


Please see “old section” of 

Sheridan Center Cemetery

The “old section” of Sheridan Center Cemetery is/was known as Sheridan Cemetery.


ST. JOSEPH'S CEMETERY
SHERIDAN, NY

This cemetery was established in the early 1900’s by members of St Anthony’s Church in Fredonia, New York.

For burial records write

St Anthony’s Roman Catholic Church
66 Cushing St
Fredonia, NY  14063

WATCH FOR CEMETERY READINGS COMING IN SPRING 2001.


NORTH HILL BURIAL SITE
VILLENOVA, NY

Nothing visable.  Only one known burial:  Mr. Warner’s son buried under an apple tree about 1900.
No stone ever placed on site.


CROWELL BURIAL SITE
VILLENOVA, NY

Nothing to be seen
A. Crowell buried on his own farm.
East of Smith Rd. beyond creek.


SPENCER FARM BURIAL GROUND
VILLENOVA, NY

Nothing to be seen
No known inscriptions
Only one known burial here.


WARNER FAMILY BURIAL SITE
VILLENOVA, NY

Nothing left but field stones
No known inscriptions
As many as 17 or 18 members of Obediah Warner family buried on their property.


NEAR FAMILY BURIAL SITE
VILLENOVA, NY

Obliterated
No known inscriptions
stone(s) from this site reportedly holding up nearby landowners garage.


MC EVOY BURIAL SITE
VILLENOVA, NY

One broken stone
no known inscriptions.

J. McEvoy’s 14 year old daughter buried about 1865.
McEvoy born in Ireland. Built in 1840’s a Catholic Church on this site for Irish Railroad workers.  


CEMETERY at CROSSROADS
WESTFIELD, NY

In the files of the East Ripley Cemetery Association a communication from Arthur S. Tennant of Westfield,  dated 1947 states that:

     The first burial ground in the County was located on the Dana Royce farm on North Gale Street.  It was traced through Mrs. E. G. Miller,  of Creamery Road,  Westfield,  a descendant of the ancestors of Dana Royce.

     Her ancestors owned the farm now owned by Leonard Franz, and the burial ground was located by her on the knoll west of the farm now covered by vineyards but no surface indications of burial.

     Prior to 1813 there were family and public burials on this plot.  In 1813, Samuel Perry,  a cousin of Oliver Hazzard Perry,  was desperately wounded in Perry’s victory on Lake Erie,  and he with three others,  all in critical condition,  were landed at Barcelona
and cared for by friends and a generous public.  All died in 1814, and, from all accounts, it is assumed they were buried in the above described cemetery, as it was the only one near the Lake at that time.


SOURCE: Information provided by Donna Mills, 1999-2000.