The council ordained Edmund JONES to the gospel ministry and appointed
John PUTNAM as Deacon.
This was the first Baptist Church formed in the Town of Chautauqua near Chautauqua Lake 2 1/2 miles
south of Dewittville in what now is West Ellery. In 1817, this Church was geographically dIvided by a line
running due east from Chautauqua Lake, leaving John Putnam in the First Church of the Town of
Chautauqua. The others were now residing in Stockton, and became known as the First Baptist Church of
Stockton. Rev. Asa TURNER, a Revolutionary War soldier, was the first minister.
Other early members were:
SOURCE - Provided by Donna Mills, 2000.