Transcript of Record Book A of the Fredonia Baptist Church
spanning 1805 through 1832

by Lois Barris, Deborah Kotar, Donna Keith, Ruth Nichols, Dick Sheil and Norwood Barris

November 2006

The Fredonia Baptist Church, or at times called the Fredonia Baptist Society or the Baptist Society of Pomfret, was formed in 1808. Zattu Cushing was the founder, and his barn was the first meeting house. The society built a wooden structure on the present site in the early 1820s. It served until 1852 when the present brick building was erected. Today's address is 19 Church St, Fredonia, NY  14063.

Book A of the Fredonia Baptist Church records consists of a small (6" x 8"), cloth-bound volume of minutes of church meetings and lists of members from 1821 to 1831. During most of this period, the church was known as the First Baptist Church of Pomfret. Church Clerk Martin D. Harmon began the practice of signing each set of minutes in 1831. At the beginning of Book A are unsigned copies of what appear to be the selected, or perhaps the only surviving, minutes of church meetings from 1805 to 1820, when the church was known simply as the Baptist Church of Pomfret.



Transcript

Entries dated 1805-1814
Entries dated 1816-1819
Entries dated 1820-1821
Entries dated 1822
Entries dated 1823
Entries dated 1824
Entries dated 1825
Entries dated 1826
Entries dated 1827
Entries dated 1828
Entries dated 1829
Entries dated 1830
Entries dated 1831
Entries dated 1832
Entire transcript (106 kB)

Church archivist


Notes


Last updated Feb 2007.