Return to Chautauqua County Gen Web page.
The following was published in the Fredonia Censor newspaper dated October 12, 1842
The Chautauqua County /Sabbath School Society met at the Presbyterian
Church in Fredonia, Sept. 1, 1842.
Prayer was offered by Rev. Mr. Raymond. The Secretary being absent, Rev. E. Taylor was chosen Secretary of the meeting.
A committee was appointed to arrange the business of the meeting. The Committee reported,
that a resolution be introduced by Mr. S. Rogers, seconded by Mr. Couch:
2nd that a resolution be introduced by Rev. O. Street, seconded by Rev. Mr. Beardsley:
3d an Address by Rev. W. R. Rogers.
A Committee was appointed on nomination of officers of the Society for the ensuing year, which committee reported as follows:
H. Couch, President ; W. C. Nichols, A. W. Muzzy, John Hall, vice presidents; H. C. Frisbee, Secretary;
J. H. Taylor, Treasurer; W. R. Rogers, Abram Jones, R. F. Fenton, H. M. Eddy, E. A. Dickson, Executive committee.
Executive Committee reported: Report accepted and referred.
Mr. S. Rogers presented the following resolution:
Resolved, That as a generation is to be raised and trained with piety and moral courage
sufficient to carry the gospel to the utmost limits of our world, no time should be lost in
securing the happy result ; which may be anticipated from the recent distribution of the
Testament in our County, and the advantages of Sabbath Schools.
This resolution was seconded by Rev. Mr. Beardsley:
Resolved that every Sabbath School should consider itself an organized society, bound
by the spirit of its constitution to use all suitable efforts to influence every child not already
connected with some Sabbath School to form such a connection immediately.
Both these resolutions were sustained by appropriate remarks, and adopted.
The meeting was addressed by Mr. W. R. Rogers.
Reports were made from the following towns, viz:
Arkwright - 3 schools; 182 scholars; 28 teachers; 327 books; 3 conversions
Busti - 3 schools; 167 scholars; 28 teachers; 80 books; 43 conversions
Charlotte - 2 schools; 100 scholars; 15 teachers; 480 books; 21 conversions
Ellicott - 6 schools 385 scholars 18 teachers; 590 books
Ellington - 1 schools; 75 scholars; 10 teachers;
Pomfret - 13 schools 565 scholars; 78 teachers; 421 books; 21 conversions
Portland - 8 schools 240 scholars; 32 teachers; 250 books 47 conversions
Ripley - 4 schools 300 scholars
Sheridan - 5 schools; 200 scholars; 40 teachers
Sil. Creek (Vil.) 1 school 130 scholars; 21 teachers; 421 books; 1 conversions
Villenova - 14 schools; 422 scholars; 75 teachers
Westfield - 8 schools; 312 scholars; 65 teachers; 600 books
[ It will be seen from the above, that while most of the reports made are very imperfect,
more than one-half of the towns in the county have made no report at all. It is to be hoped
that the town directors appointed this year, and whose names are published in these proceedings,
will be prompt to forward full reports at the next anniversary.]
The children voted to send Rev. A. Montgomery to Cherry Creek and neighborhood
for one week, to organize Sabbath Schools.
Voted: That the secretary of the Society be instructed to print the proceedings
Of this meeting, and to notify each of the Town Directors in the County.
The following persons were appointed Town Directors for the ensuing year:
Arkwright - Elliott White
Busti - Thomas Danforth
Carroll – Ebenezer Chapin
Charlotte – E. B. Forbush
Chautauque - Seth Starr
Cherry Creek – Clark Rosee
Clymer – Luther Lakin
Ellery – Henry Martin
Ellicott – R. F. Fenton
Ellington – Lewis Rice
French Creek – A. O. Haines
Gerry – Turner Partridge
Hanover – Dr. Avery
Harmony – Abner Lewis
Mina – Isaac Hawley
Pomfret – A. J. Cowels
Poland – Sam’l B. Winsor
Portland – Warren Couch
Ripley – S. M. Ely
Sherman – Dea. Hall
Sheridan - N. Gray
Stockton – Jason Crissey
Villenova – Dr. Pierce
Westfield – E. C. Bliss
After prayer, adjourned to meet at Jamestown during the anniversary week in 1843,
at a time and place and under an arrangement of business designated and published by
the executive committee.
SOURCE - Fredonia Censor, October 12, 1842; copied by Donna Mills, 2002.