Villenova Circuit Church Records
Hamlet, Chautauqua County, NY
Return to Chautauqua County
Gen Web page.
These records were transcribed from microfilm on
loan from through the local Family History Center.
The original records were faded and the filming process
made reading very difficult.
Hopefully there will be some information that will
help your research.
The Methodist Episcopal Church at Hamlet originated in the formation
of a class, December 25, 1823, by Elder Daniel Prosser. The class
consisted of Polly Smith, Obadiah Warner and Rebecca, his wife; Taylor
Judd, Polly Judd, [since the wife of Edmund Wright]; Lewis Barmore, Maria,
his sister; Diadema Warner, Lura Nun, Polly Baker, Hiram Kingsley, Milton
Foot and Lois, his wife, and Brinty Congdon and perhaps others. A
class had been previously formed at Wright's Corners, which was merged
in the society at Hamlet. Among the early circuit preachers were
John Kent, ___Buel, Richard Wright, ___Ayres. Their meetings were
first held in dwellings and barns. Their present house of worship
was built in 1836 [in 1875]. Present Minister, Rev. Mr. Clarke.
-- from Young's History of Chautauqua County New York, 1875 p. 584.
SOURCE - Transcribed by Jay T. Priest, Webster, NY.