HISTORICAL SKETCHES of the TOWN OF PORTLAND

BY H.C. TAYLOR, M.D. Published 1873

There are 258 sketches in this book.

They are arranged chronologically in the book – from number 1; James Dunn, who came in 1805: to number 258: Joshua Jackson, who settled in 1830.

I have arranged them in alphabetical order for easier searching. The number following name ( ) is the chronological number of the sketch.

It appears that Dr. Taylor contacted as many of these families as he was able to and received letters from many of the families which gave b. d. and marriages and added information on their trips to P. or their early years in P. Dr. Taylor did much research back when early records were still available. He has also mentioned who now (1873) owns the property. I have put these names in BOLD type. Marriages also give clues as to what other families were here after 1830.

I have also added some NOTES: on some of the families, usually with the source of this additional information.

Please be aware that these sketches may not always contain accurate information – try to use another source for confirmation.


ABELL, Henry (43)

Was the son of Capt. Thomas and Eunice Griswald Abell, and was b. in Bennington, Vt., in 1777.

He m. Mary C. Abell, dau. of Elijah and Mary C. Abell, at Bennington, in 1794.

He emigrated to Mayville this county, in 1810, and to P. in 1814.

He purchased the farm now owned in pt. by Lincoln Fay , pt. of lot 25, T. 5, and kept a tavern in the house built by David Joy in 1812.

In 1815 he removed to Fredonia, from Fredonia to Westfield, this county, and after some years went to Illinois, where he d. May 30 th 1853.

Mrs. Abell d. there also, Oct. 9th 1845.

Mr. A. was a soldier from Mayville in the war of 1812.

He was a member of the M.E. church, uniting at Westfield in 1828. Politically he was a Whig.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Abell –

  1. ALMIRA: b. in Vt. in 1796; m. Stephen Prendergast of Ripley, this county, July 1815. Mr. P. d. in 1852 age 50. Mrs. P. is still living in Ripley.
  2. FRANKLIN: b. in Vt.
  3. HENRY: b. in Vt.
  4. MOSLEY b. in Vt. (2) (3) & (4) all fell sick in childhood and d. within fifteen days.
  5. LAURA: b. in Vt. in 1804; m. Asa Farnsworth in 1821; settled in Westfield, this county; in 1838 removed to Chicago, Ill.; returned to Westfield in 1847.
  6. Mr. F. was for several years proprietor of the "Westfield House".

  7. FRANKLIN: b. in Vt. Sept. 1st 1806; m. Emily Bradley, Dec 7th 1830 at Westfield; removed to Roscoe, Ill. In 1837; and to Petaluma, California in 1857.
  8. Mrs. Abell d. in California, Jan 17th 1865.

  9. SIDNEY: b. in Vt. in 1809; m. Martha J, Lowry at Springfield, Ill. in 1842; settled in Chicago. He was postmaster in that city under Presidents Jackson and Van Buren.
  10. He d. in Auburn, Oregon in 1863. His widow is still living at Springfield, Ill.

  11. RALPH M. P.; b. at Mayville, this county in 1811;m. Alma Walker at Ashtabula, Ohio in 1843; d. at Chicago, Ill. in 1864;

Mrs. A. is still living in Chicago.

NOTES: (1) Col. Stephen Prendergast d. in Ripley, age 59 on 31 Jan. 1852 – From Fredonia Censor dated 10 Feb 1852. (5) they were m. 18 Sep. 1823 at Westfield by Fenn Deming Esq.. F/C dated 24 Sep 1823 (6) a Franklin Abell m. in Westfield 7 Dec. 1830 to Emily Bradley were m. by F. Lamb – 19th Century Marriages Reported in the Fredonia Censor by Lois Barris.

ANDERSON, Samuel (140)

Was the son of James and Percy Lyons Anderson. His father was from Ireland and his mother from England.

He m. Jerusha Lyons and came to P. from Scipio, Cayuga, county, N.Y., in Jan. 1819.

He purchased a claim to pt. of lot 55, T. 4, farm immediately south of that formerly owned by Warren Couch.

Mr. A. was a revolutionary soldier. He had no religious creed: in politics he was a democrat.

FAMILY of Mr. and Mrs. Anderson:

  1. POLLY: m. Holden Sisson; d. within a few months.
  2. JANE: m. Wm. A. Stetson.
  3. SALLY: never m.
  4. NANCY: m. John T. McIntyre; still living in Iowa.
  5. SOPHIA: m. Philip Kane; living at Littleton, Iowa.
  6. SAMUEL: m. Betsey Taylor; d. in California.
  7. BETSEY: m. John Wentworth; who for some years kept a tavern at Westfield, this county; was left a w. in Ill. but m. again.
    1. NOTE
    2. : Samuel Anderson died July 18th 1837, his wife, Jerusha died 21 days later. Both are buried in the Westfield Cemetery, where there is a tall, slab- style tombstone, which is still legible after 165 years.
    3. The daughter named Sophia is the same as the daughter named Sylvia. There seems to be some confusion among genealogists.
    4. See also Patriot Soldiers of 1776 – 1783 by Frederick Ward Kates; this 2 vol. work is an account of Revolutionary Veterans who lived and/or died in Chautauqua county following their service.

ANDREWS, Amos C. (187)

Articled pt. of lot 1, T. 5, in 1824, but lived in a log house on S. pt. of lot 19, T. 5, opposite the house of Wm. Beeker.

He was a Free-will Baptist preacher. He lived in town but a few years.

ANDREWS, Asa (112)

Was a bro. of James and Wilson (Nos. 110 and 111) and b. in the town of Pompey, Onondaga county, N.Y. March 5, 1799.

He came to P. from Truxton, Cortland county, in Jun 1819. He m. Harriet, dau. of Augustine and Sarah Simpson Klumph, Oct. 20, 1821.

Mrs. A. was b. Oct 8, 1800. They settled on the farm now owned by Chester Munson, N, pt. lot 37, T. 5,occupying the log house built in 1824, which is in part standing and used as an out house.

Mr. A. was a farmer and with his wife is still living in Pomfret, this county.

Mr. A. was for many years in town office and two years supervisor. Politically he is a Republican.

Note: Mrs. Harriet Anderson died on 4 May 1874 in Pomfret, wife of Asa, Age 73y 5mo. 27d.- FC 27 May 1874.

FAMILY of Mr. and Mrs. Andrews:

    1. SARAH: m. Henry Soper Oct 1844; d. in P. July 30, 1855; buried in Evergreen cemetery.
    2. NATHANIEL W. m. Harriet Farington in Jan. 1854; lives in Stockton, this county.
    3. HARRIET K.: not m.
    4. ELIZABETH S.: m. Chauncy Mallery May 23, 1855; d. at South Haven, Mich. , Sept. 10, 1868.
    5. ASA A.: m. Eliza Ely Dec. 1855. NOTE: Asa A. d, at home of his dau. Mrs. Alonzo Ingham, on 15 Nov. 1893. also survived by son N, W, and son Henry. – FC dated 22 Nov 1893
    6. THOMAS K.:
    7. JAMES F. L.: m. ____; lives in Pomfret. Note: JAMES F. L. m, Emma Ives Dec. 14 1870
    8. HELEN: not m.

ANDREWS, Erastus (86)

Bro. of James and Wilson lived on pt. of lot 40, T. 4, farm now owned and occupied by G.W. Stebbins. He lived in town but a short time. His article bears date Oct. 22, 1817.

ANDREWS, James (111)

Was a bro. of Wilson (110) and was b. in Vt. Jan 7, 1794. He m. Anna Barnes, dau. of Calvin Barnes, July 7, 1819. He came to P. in 1818 from Truxton, Cortland county, this state, and located a pt. of lot 56, T. 4, adjoining the farm of David Eaton on the south. His log house was burned in 1824 and a frame one was at once built, which was also burned in Feb. 1872. Mr. A. is still living, at Marengo, Ill. Mrs. A. d. at that place in Aug. 1873. Mr. A. is a member of the Baptist church; politically he is republican.

NOTE: James d. in Marengo, Ill, aged 75 yrs on 26 Sep 1873- FC dated 29 Oct. 1873;

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Andrews:

    1. CALVIN B: b. Oct. 18, 1820; m. Ann Freeman at Coral, Ill., Jan 20, 1852; settled at Marengo.
    2. JAMES A.: b. Aug. 24, 1822; m. Sarah E. Pelton Feb. 6, 1856; settled near Waverly, Iowa.
    3. LYDIA A.; b. Mar. 20, 1828; m. Walter T. Weed May 28, 1864; settled in Wheeling, Missouri.
    4. ROBERT K.: b. Oct 20, 1842(sic); m. Mary A. Blackman in April 1858; settled in Marengo, Ill.
    5. RACHAEL P.: b. April 10, 1836; m. Clinton K. Howe Feb. 1, 1860; settled in Waterloo, Iowa.
    6. NATHANIEL F.: b. Aug. 30, 1843; d, Nov 8, 1862; buried at Bolivar, Tenn. He was a drummer of Co "D." 15th regiment Illinois volunteers in war of 1861. [Civil War]

ANDREWS, Sylvester (166)

Settled in the N.E. pt. of lot 18, T. 5. His article bears date Oct. 26, 1823, though he lived in town three or four years previous to that date. He m. a dau. of Wm. Harris and lived in a log house on the N.E. corner of the farm , where now stands a small frame house. The land is now owned by Ed Underhill. He was one of the two first deacons of the Baptist church at Brocton. He sold to T. Judson in 1829 and removed to Silver Creek, this county, where he d. two or three years since. His family are there still.

ANDREWS, Wilson (110)

Was the son of Philarman and Philinda Andrews, and was b. in Connecticut Dec. 13, 1788. He came to P. from Homer, Cortland county, this state in 1818 and settled on pt. of lot 55, T. 4, land now owned by Lathrop Woods. He m. _____ Neff, who was b. in Amsterdam, N.Y. in 1799. He d. in 1846; Mrs. A. d. in 1832. They were bu. In W. & P. U. cemetery. Mr. A. was a member of the Presbyterian church, and in politics a Whig. He was in Canada at the opening of the war of 1812 and his property was confiscated on his refusal to enlist in the British services.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Andrews:

    1. JOSEPH: b. in 1818; m. Harriet Caldwell; settled in Chicago, Ill.; d. in Jamestown, N.Y. in Sept. 1869; buried there.
    2. WILLIAM: b. 1821
    3. PHILINDA: b. in 1822; m. Jason Bigelow; settled in P.; still living.
    4. ANN M.: b. in 1825; m. Rev. Dudley Andrews and settled in Ohio.
    5. CHARLES: b. in 1826; m. Mary Loyd; settled in Ohio.
    6. LEWIS: twin with LUCY; b. in 1831; m. Martha Pennock and settled in Jamestown in 1855. He was sheriff of Chautauqua county for the term commencing Jan 1, 1868.
    7. LUCY: twin with LEWIS; b. in 1831; m. Egbert Vanscoy; settled in Chautauqua in 1859; d. the same year; was buried in W. & P.U. cemetery.
    8. WALTER: b. in 1835; living in Chautauqua.
    9. HARVEY F.; b. in 1840

ARNOLD, Charles F. (232)

The son of John F. and Eunice Ball Arnold was b. in Westchester county, N.Y., in 1781. He m. ----- Slocum, who was b. at Newport, R.I., in 1783. They lived many years in VT., but came to P. from Wayne county, this state, in 1828. He bought the farm now owned by Samuel Caldwell, N.W. pt. of lot 40, T. 5, where he lived five years. In 1833 he sold to Mr. Caldwell and removed to Michigan in May but returned in Aug. of the same year and bought the farm now owned by his son Samuel, N.E. pt. of lot 40, T. 5, where he still resides. This farm was first settled by Jesse Baldwin. Mr. A. is a farmer; in religion Unitarian, and in politics a republican.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Arnold:

    1. MARY: m. Alanson G. Jones in 1833; lives in P.
    2. JANE: m. Gayles Jones in 1837; lives in Michigan.
    3. JOHN F.: m. Filey Harris in 1844; lives in Nebraska.
    4. CHARLES: lives in Nebraska, never m.
    5. JULIUS M.: m. Melissa Clark in 1841; lives in Nebraska.
    6. CALVIN: never m.; d. in 1859.
    7. AMY: d. young.
    8. SAMUEL: m. Vashti M. Barton in 1832; lives on the homestead.

NOTE: Charles F. died 8 May 1876; his obit contains account of his paying his respects to Geo. Washington and sitting on his lap when Charles was but 6 yrs. old.

ARNOLD Elisha (256)

Came from the "Royal Grant" now Herkimer county , this state, in 1813-14. He eventually settled on pt. of lot 33, T. 4, near Prospect station, farm now owned and occupied by his son William. The family often refer to the hardships of the journey, made in the dead of winter with the slow plodding team, then the only means of travel. For some years he was engaged in "distilling" at Westfield, this county. He was elected a justice of the peace in 1831, and supervisor of the town for five years. He was an active and efficient member of the board, and was popular among his neighbors. He d. on his farm Jan. 23, 1841, aged 63 yrs. His widow, Prudence, d. Sept. 5, 1854, aged 75.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Arnold

    1. GEORGE W.: b. in 1803; m. Almeda Stevens; d. Dec. 25, 1854. For some years he owned and occupied the farm now occupied by his heirs, pt. of lot 41, T. 5.
    2. NANCY
    3. LYDIA
    4. HORACE: twin with Hiram; b. in 1807; m. Betsey Thayer, d. April 15, 1869.
    5. HIRAM: twin with Horace; b. in 1807; m. Sally Ely, dau. of Herman Ely; d. April 9, 1851.His widow still lives on the farm, N. pt. of lot 48, T. 4, which is now owned and occupied by a son G.M. Arnold.
    6. PAULINA: m. Nahum W. Patch; d. in Westfield in June 1872.
    7. ALBERT; d. in Ohio.
    8. WILLIAM H.: m. ----- Spurr; now living on old homestead.
    9. SARAH: b. in 1815; m. ----- Spurr; d. Dec. 10, 1845.
    10. CHAUNCEY: b. in 1817; m. Josephine Culver; d. Feb 1, 1853.
    11. BETSEY: b. in 1820; d. Oct 16, 1837.
    12. THOMAS: m. Rosey Barnes, dau. of James Barnes; now living in Minnesota.

AVERILL, Lemon (201)

Came from Sungerfield, N.Y. and lived in town five to six years, keeping a tavern on the well-known McKennie place, commencing in 1825. Mrs. A. was b. in Fairfield, Herkimer county, this state in 1793. They removed from P. to Westfield and from there to Ripley, where Mr. A. d. in July 1839, and was bu. in Westfield. He was a lawyer by profession and for several years was a justice of the peace in Westfield. He was an Episcopalian and politically a Whig. Mrs. A. d. in Ripley, May 9, 1867, and was bu. there.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Averill

    1. FRANCES: b. in 1822; m. Elizur Webster Jr.; settled in Ripley; d. there Sept., 1862.
    2. JACKSON L.: b. in 1823; m. and settled in San Francisco, California.
    3. JAMES: b. in 1825; d. 1828.
    4. ADELAIDE: b. in 1833; m. Henry Brockway in Ripley; settled there.
    5. JANETTE: b. in 1836; m. Edwin Sexton and settled in Westfield.

BACON, Gillett (49)

Settled on part of lot 40, T. 5 (land now owned by Samuel Caldwell) soon after the close of the war of 1812, in which he served as an officer. He was a man well educated, of good business capabilities and "occupied the best house in that section of the town." After a few years he seemed to discover that clearing land was not congenial to his tastes; sold out and removed to Lockport, Niagara county, when the Erie canal was being built; went into trade and a few years later became the most wealthy merchant in the town.

BAIL, Frederick (117)

Was the son of Hendrick Conradt and Sarah Hotchkiss Bail, and was b, at Norfolk, Conn., Dec. 12, 1785. He m. Elizabeth, dau. of Isaac Baldwin, in Sheridan, this county, Jan 13, 1814, Mrs. B. was b. in Halifax, Vt., Jan 13, 1795. They removed to P. in Aug. 1818, and settled on pt. of lot 36, T. 5, farm now owned by Henry Reynolds. He lived in a shanty for some months, but soon built a log house in which he lived to 1829 when he removed to lot 42, T. 5, where he lived until 1835. He then removed to Pa., where he d. in 1872. Mrs. B. d. there Dec. 17, 1839. Mr. B. was a blacksmith by trade. He was in the war of 1812 for several months. In politics he was a Whig; and for several years was a member of the first Congregational church formed in P. The father of Mr. Bail was a "Hessian" and with others was attached to the British army in the revolutionary war. He was taken prisoner by the Colonists and after being exchanged, deserted and for many years lived in Connecticut, where he m.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Bail

    1. PARTHENA: b. Feb. 23, 1815; m. Hiram Smith Jan. 8, 1835; settled in Pomfret.
    2. SARAH: b. May 17, 1816; m. in Pa.
    3. CLARISSA H.: b. June 6, 1818; d. Oct. 18, 1845.
    4. ELIZABETH: b. March 11, 1820; m. in Pa.
    5. WILLIAM C.: b. Nov. 4, 1821; m. in Pa.
    6. MARIA: b. Sept. 11, 1823; m. in Pa.
    7. ISAAC S.: b. June 30, 1825; m. in Pa.

BAKER, Warren (235)

Came to P. in 1828 and settled on the N. pt. of lot 40, T. 5, farm now owned in part by Wm. Renouard and others.

He d. here and was bu. in Evergreen cemetery. Mrs. B. d. at Coldwater, Michigan.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Baker

    1. ROWLAND: m. Mary Wilcox; settled on the farm and d. there.
    2. WILLIS: m. Deborah A. Congden; settled on the farm and d. there Oct 8, 1854.
    3. SILAS: m. the widow of Rowland, but soon d.
    4. LYDIA: m. ---- Gould; d. at Coldwater, Mich.
    5. ENFIELD: m. ----- Gould; also d. at Coldwater.
    6. EDWIN: never m.; d. at Coldwater while on a visit.

BALDWIN, Jesse E. (90)

Son of Isaac and Parthena Baldwin, grandson of Isaac and great-grandson of

Jacob Baldwin, was b. in Halifax, Windham county, Vt., Oct. 24, 1796. He

was carried by his parents to Pawlet, Vt., in Feb., 1797, and from there to

Sheridan, in this county, in Feb., 1812. In 1816 the father of Mr. B. articled

p't of lot 36, T. 5, upon which a "slashing" was made the next year and a log

house built. In March, 1818, most of the family removed to P., and

"although the ground was covered with snow, in three days we had a snug

log house built and were comfortably domiciled. *** During the season we

cleared twenty-eight acres of land and fenced it into lots and sowed one to

wheat by the twentieth of August. The fall being warm, by the middle of

October the wheat was so large that we drove the cows from Sheridan to

feed it down. The extra supply of milk was so great that a temporary press was

made and several good-sized cheeses were manufactured, probably the only

cheese made in P. on a farm where there was not an acre of grass growing.

In 1819 our yield of wheat was bountiful and we harvested eight hundred bushels

which at that time was quick sale at $2.50 per bushel, but in Sept. had fallen to

$1.00 and by the next March to fifty cents. In 1820, being of age, I took pos-

session of my farm. Being then alone I needed a helpmeet and went to a

merchant in Fredonia, not to buy a wife but to buy four pounds of iron to shoe my

horse to assist my locomotion to find the article I needed. For the four pounds of

iron I offered the man of goods two bushels of corn; but cash only would buy

so precious a commodity and cash I did not possess. I next went to a blacksmith

who agreed to do the job for five bushels of corn, making the shoes from old ones.

The horse was shod, the wife found and we were married the twentieth of Feb., 1822,

by Rev. Joy Handy. Mrs. B's maiden name was Martha Skiff. She was b. in Cambridge,

Washington county, but then living in Sheridan. *** In April following we removed

to P. and occupied the log house first built." Mr. B. lived in P. until 1833 when he

removed to Sheridan where he has since resided. In his letter he gives a graphic

description of a fearful tempest that passed over the town in Dec. 1824, while he was a

teacher of a school in the present district No. 7, and of the narrow escape of the

scholars on their return to their homes through the forest, and the imminent peril of

his own family from the storm, and the rescue of their little child from the fire, into

which it had been thrown by the force of the wind through an open door. None,

however, were killed or fatally injured, but immense damage was done to timber

through the entire town. So fearful was the storm that it was a reckoning point for

the settlers for many years. Mrs. B. d. in P. Aug. 24, 1833, and was bu. at Brocton.

In religion Mr. B. is a Universalist; in politics a republican.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Baldwin -

(1) CORNELIA: b. Feb. 4, 1823; m. W.R. Merrell April 6, 1843: settled in Sheridan.

(2) PHILENIA: b. Aug. 1, 1824; m. John Miller Sept. 7, 1842: settled in Sheridan.

(3) WILLIAM H.: b. March 22, 1826; m. Minerva Edwards March 28, 1857; settled in

Sheridan.

(4) SUSAN O.: b. Dec 20, 1827; m. A. A. Rich Oct. 12, 1856.

5) BENJAMIN F.: b. Dec 7, 1829: m. Caroline Edwards April 28, 1852.

BARKER, Barzilla (57)

Was the son of Hezekiah and Sarah Barker and b. at Newport, R. I. Aug. 20th 1784. In 1800 the family settled in Paris, Oneida county and in 1806 removed to Canadaway. Then five dwellings contained the entire population of the present town of Pomfret. Mr. B’s father opened the first tavern in the place. The whole tract where the village now stands was an entire wilderness. Mr. B. m. Mary Marsh in 1808. Mrs. B. came with her family to Canadaway the same year, 1805. In the fall of 1815 Mr. B. came to P. and settled on pt. of lots 5 and 6, T. 5, purchasing of Roe Goldsmith. The improvements were a slashing of five acres and a log house. The first settlement east was on the farm of Henry Bradley at Milford, and the first west was at Brocton. Mr. B. built the third frame barn on the Main road. He built a small frame house now occupied by his son Corington. Mr. B. was a Baptist in sentiment; politically a Whig, and in after life a Republican. He d. Aug. 17th 1859. Mrs. B. d. June 7th, 1855. They were bu. in Brocton Cemetery.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Barker –

    1. CORINGTON: b. Apr. 19th 1809; m/ Angelina L. Lathrop, Oct. 16th 1838; lives on a part of the homestead.
    2. NELSON: b. Sept. 3rd 1810; d. in infancy.
    3. ANGELINA D.: b. Sept. 28th 1811; m. M. C. Carroll, Dec. 25th 1830; d. Apr. 11th 1858 in Fredonia.
    4. GEORGE W.: b. Mar. 23d 1814; m. Diantha Fellows, Oct. 20th, 1842; lives on pt. of the old homestead.
    5. ZEBIAH W.: b. Mar. 15th 1816; m. N. P. Bassett, Apr. 18th 1844; lives in Oswego county, N. Y.
    6. MARY L.: b. July 31st 1818; m. William Fellows, May 4th 1847; d. May 30th 1848, in Cattaraugus county, this state/
    7. ADDISON S.: b. Feb. 21st, 1820; m. 1st Jane Kidder; 2d _____ ______; lives in Winnebago, county, Ill.
    8. SARAH W.: b. June 24th 1824; m. Abner S. Fay; lives in Monroe county, Iowa.

NOTES: Zebiah is female; Corington is said to be the first male white child born in Canadaway [Fredonia] he d. 20 Aug, 1891. Having lived on the family homestead for 76 yrs.; George W. d. 28 Feb. 1895;

BARNES, Calvin (30)

Was the son of Comfort Barnes and Hannah Cook his wife, and was born Nov. 7th, 1766 at Weston, Mass. He came from Norway, Herkimer county, N.Y. to P/ in Apr. 1811, and purchased a claim to E. pt. lot 33, T. 5; cleared a few acres of land, planted it to corn, and built a log house, and removed his family in Sept. following. Mrs. B. was born in Voluntown, Conn., March 3d, 1772. They occupied their log house until 1824, when the frame house now on the farm and occupied by J. S. West , was built. Mr. B. was the first postmaster appointed in town, and held the office until it was discontinued in 1829. He was in the war of 1812, and was wounded at the battle of Black Rock, a ball passing through the knee joint, rendering him a cripple for life. He was an antislavery man, but acted with the Whig party. He was not a religious man. He was universally respected.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Barnes

    1. MOLLIE: b. Oct 28th, 1793; d. May 5th , 1795
    2. CALVIN jr.: b. Nov 7th, 1795; d. in Austin, Miss. In Dec. 1852; He was in the war of 1812, with his father; went to Illinois in 1818; went to Alabama in 1823 or 24, and afterward to Miss. As a surveyor.
    3. LYDIA: born Jan. 17th, 1798; m. Nathaniel Fay, July 17th, 1815; settled in P.; d, Sept. 4 th, 1872.
    4. ANNA: born Sept. 3d, 1800; m. James Andrews in P. Sept. 1818; d. at Marengo, Ill., Aug. 1873.
    5. MARIA: born May 1st, 1803; m. Martin Coney in P. in Nov. 1823; now lives in Elgin, Ill.
    6. RACHAEL: b. Nov. 17th, 1805; d. Sept. 24th, 1822.
    7. FATIMA: born Dec. 29th 1807; m. J. S. West Feb. 4th, 1827; settled in P.; d. upon the old homestead in 1872.
    8. ROBERT K.: b. Apr. 10th, 1810; m. Mercelia West in 1872; d. in Brocton in Sept. 1849; buried in Evergreen Cemetery.
    9. LUCY: born Apr. 23, 1812; m. Martin Quigley, Jan. 26th 1833; now lives in Missouri.

BARNES, Daniel (23)

Was born in Connecticut Dec. 4, 1763. The last three years of the Revolution he served in the Continental army. At the close of the war he m. Lucina King and removed to Vermont, where he lived until 1809, when he lost his farm from defective title. He came to P. in the spring of 1810 and located all of lots 4 and 5 and part of lot 3. T. 5, now owned by A. B. Post, Sanford Martin and others. His article bears date March 29, 1810. His first house stood a few feet east of the house of Mr. Post. In 1811 he opened a tavern which he kept until some time after the war of 1812. In 1830 he built a new frame house, which newly covered, was burned in Dec. 1864, and upon the ruins of which the house of Mr. Post now stands, on the central part of lot 4. T. 5. He sold his land to settlers and about 1832 or 33 sold his homestead. He lived in town most of the time until he d., which occurred about 1854. During the last years of his life he was entirely dependent upon public charity. Mrs. Barnes d. some years earlier than her husband.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Barnes –

(1) FANNY: b. in Vt.; m. Samuel Perry, father of Oliver H. Perry; Mr. P. d. in 1815 and his wife Feb. 14, 1822; Mrs. B. and Mrs. Perry were buried at Evergreen Cemetery; Mr. B. at Brocton Mr. B. was a Methodist for many years, but in later life a Christian.

BARNES, James (116)

Was the son of William, and b. May 5, 1796. He m. Amanda Noble Jan 26, 1818, who was b. June 4, 1798. They removed to P. from Rome, Oneida county, this state, in Aug. 1818, with an ox team. He settled near the center of lot 53, T. 4, living in a log house until 1836 when he built the house now on the farm and occupied by the family. He was a man of untiring energy and cleared up a large farm. Prospect station is located on the Barnes estate. In politics he was a Whig and republican respectively. He d. Jan. 19, 1854. Mrs. B. is still living.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Barnes –

    1. ALPHA: b. June 8, 1823; m. Sarah L. Bigelow Dec. 22, 1847; occupies the old homestead.
    2. CALISTA: b. March 28, 1826; d. May 3, 1846.
    3. ROXY: b. March 9, 1829; m. Thomas Arnold June 16, 1847; now living in Minnesota.
    4. DELOS: b. Jan 28, 1831; m. Caroline Wilson in Jan. 1858; removed to Leavenworth, Kansas.

BASSETT, Samuel (181)

Came to P. from Genesee Co., N.Y., in 1823. He bought a claim to pt. of lot 41, T. 5, farm now owned by David Granger, and including the grounds of the West Baptist society in P. He sold to James Hayner and for some time lived on the farm now owned by Chester Munson , N. Pt. of lot 37, T. 5, buying of Edward W. Farington. He sold to Mr. Munson and removed to Pa.

BEACH, Roswell (143)

Settled on the farm now owned by Wm. Becker, central pt. of lot 19, T. 5, in 1819. He died after a few years.

He had two sons MAPLE and ROSWELL and one dau. FLORA, who m. Joseph Harris, son of Wm. Harris (No. 53)

BEEBE, Abner B. (175)

Was the son of Ephraim and Elizabeth Beebe, and was b. at Mayville, New London county, Conn., April 23, 1797. He m. ----- Roberts, dau. of Benj. And Polly Roberts, Nov. 21, 1821. Mrs. B. was b. at East Hartford, Conn., May 19, 1798. They came to P. from Pomfret in January 1822. He settled on the E. pt. of lot 31, T. 5, purchasing a claim of Calvin Barnes, and built a frame house the same year, the one now owned and occupied by Wm. Rinehart , where he lived ten years, selling to Wm. Miller and purchasing the N. pt. of lot 25, T. 5, upon which he built a frame house the same year, now owned and occupied by Ledyard Douglass. After partially clearing the land abut his dwelling in 1832 he caused a survey for a village to be made by T. Judson and a plat to be drawn, which was recorded in the county clerk’s office the same year. A few lots were sold, upon which houses were erected. This was the commencement of the present village of Centerville. Mr. B. says: "It was a most dismal looking place, all woods from the top of the hill east of the railroad to the hill west of the center. It was the thickest woods west of the railroad that I ever saw. The roads were few and poor. Moses Joy kept tavern in a log house on the farm occupied by H. A. S. Thompson, west of Brocton." Mr. B. moved to Girard, Pa., in Nov. 1845, where he lived seven years; and to Madison, Ohio, in Nov. 1852, where he still lives in his 77th year. Mrs. B. is also living. Mr. B. is a Methodist, and in politics a "Jackson democrat."

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Beebe –

    1. ABNER: m. Sarah Mattison in Plainfield, Otsego county, this state.
    2. EMILY: m. Geo. Rogers at Madison.
    3. GEORGE:
    4. EPHRAIM: m. Susan Trent in Girard, PA.
    5. CORNELIA: m. at Madison
    6. SALLY: m. at Madison

NOTE: the parents of Abner Beebe died in Pomfret – Obit from Fredonia Censor dated 24 Dec. 1823: Beebe, Betsey In the east part of town within a few days of her husband Ephraim Beebe, of small pox, both age 66 yrs.

BENNETT, James (68)

Was a son of Banks and Lucy Pratt Bennett, and born in Pawlet, Vt., June 6th, 1785. In 1816 he came to Sheridan, this county, and in 1818 to Portland and settled on pt. of lot 22, T 5, land now owned by J.G. Weld, exchanging hands with John Birge. He married Elizabeth Ehsing, June 2d, 1818. Mrs. B. died June 10th 1850. A part of the house they occupied is still standing. Mr. B. was for many years a prominent member of the Methodist order in town. Politically he was a whig and republican.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Bennett:

(1) HARRIET E., born July 10th, 1820; married John House, settled in Westfield; died Nov. 19th, 1870; buried in W.& P. U. Cemetery.

(2) MARY E. born Feb. 3d, 1822; married Milton Freeman; settled in town of Chautauqua; still living; Mr. F. died a few years since.

(3) JAMES P. born Aug. 2d, 1824; married and settled in Buffalo.

(4) ENSIGN born Sep. 5th 1831; married Frank Smith; settled in Buffalo; now lives in Chicago, Ill.

BERRAGE, Richard (108)

Came to P. about 1820 and settled on pt. of lot 30, T. 5, a piece of land now owned by Stephen Weld, in the west portion of the village of Centerville, purchasing of Capt. James Dunn. Very little is remembered of him except that he was a deserter from the British army in Canada. He m. a dau. of Felix Merritt; staid in town eight years and removed to Michigan.

BERRY, William (31)

Came to Sinclairville this county with Maj. Samuel Sinclair, from Madison county this state, in March or October of 1810. In 1811 he came to P. and purchased the Nathan Fay farm of 246 acres, W. pt. of lot 25, T. 5, now occupied in pt. by Lincoln Fay. He opened a tavern that year, but in 1812 rented it to David Joy and returned to Madison county. He was an active, energetic man, was once sheriff of that county and afterward a member of the Legislation.

BIGELOW, Thomas (220)

Was the son of Thomas and b. at Douglass, Mass., Sept. 8, 1781. He m. Jerusha Putnam Sept. 28, 1802. Mrs. B. was b. at Sutton, Mass., Dec. 13, 1779. In 1804 they removed to Vt.; in 1822 to Verona, Oneida County, this state, and from Verona to P. in April 1826. He purchased a claim to p’t of lot 46, T. 4 east of Prospect station, B.C. & P.R. R. and at first occupied a log house covered with hollow logs split open and placed side by side, the hollow side up. In 1836 or37 this pioneer’s palace was exchanged for a more commodious and comfortable dwelling. Mr. B. possessed a hardy constitution that fitted him well to pioneer life. By his untiring energy and economical habits he succeeded in reclaiming his farm from the forest and providing for a large family. He was a believer in the Christian faith and in politics a republican. Mr. B. d. in March 1871, in his 90th year. Mrs. B. d. in May, 1865, age 86. They were buried in W. & P.U. cemetery.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Bigelow –

    1. PULMAN: b. in Douglass, Mass., Nov. 21, 1803; m. Nancy Wiley, and settled in Rome, Oneida county, this state; d. there Dec. 8, 1851.
    2. HANNAH: b. in Vt. March 28, 1806; m/ Isaac Newcomb; settled in Durhamville, Oneida county, this state.
    3. LAWSON T.: b. in Vt. Jan. 25, 1810; m. Mary Hall in P. in 1835; settled in town but removed to Minnesota in 1866.
    4. BETSEY: b. in Vt. April 18, 1812; m. Benj. Brown; settled in Pine Grove, Pa.; d. May 4, 1849; was buried in W. & P. U. cemetery.
    5. JASON: b. in Vt. April 13, 1815; m. Philinda Andrews Feb. 4, 1841; settled in P. and still lives there.
    6. LUCY: b. in Vt. April 28, 1817; m. James Thompson in 1845; settled at Pine Grove, Pa.
    7. EMERSON W.: b. in Vt. March 8, 1820; d. Sept. 15, 1840; buried in W. & P. U. cemetery.
    8. SARAH: b. in Verona, Oneida county, this state, Nov. 7, 1823; m. Alpha Barnes Dec. 22, 1847; settled and still lives in P. at Prospect station.

BOWHALL, John (122)

Was the son of Casper and Margaret Countryman Bowhall, and was b. in Schoharie county, N.Y., March 29, 1798. He came to P. in March 1818, his mother, a widow coming soon after. He settled on part of lot 39, T. 4, then supposed to be the highest point of land in town, now owned by J. Kelsey and others. Oct. 11 of that year he m. Margaret Klumph, dau. of Jeremiah Klumph. They lived upon this farm eleven years, then removing to Fredonia, this county, and after eight years, then removing to Springfield, Pa., afterward to Detroit, Michigan, and in 1851 to Painesville, Ohio where Mr. B. still lives. Mrs. B. d. there May 8, 1868. A dau. of Mr. B. gives a graphic description of the privations and hardships of many early settlers. "It was almost impossible to get work of any kind. Father worked one month for a Mr. Ellsworth for thirteen dollars and board. Money was scarce and hard to get. One year his taxes were seventy- five cents and he worked three days splitting rails for the money to pay them. At that time he had wheat and corn to sell and paid three bushels of wheat for jumping his ax to split rails with.

Salt was six cents per pound, and not always to be had at that; other things in proportion. Every one wanted to buy but few had anything to sell, but in a few years every one had plenty of produce to sell but few wanted to buy. A bushel of corn was worth just two pounds of salt, and five bushels of wheat a pound of tea. Pork was plenty for it could be fattened in the woods, and maple sugar was made in abundance. Sugar parties in their season were a great institution. They would go miles through the woods with ox teams to such gatherings and eat their sugar with wooden spoons made for the occasion." Mr. B. was a cabinetmaker. In politics he is a republican.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Bowhall –

    1. HIRAM
    2. MARGARET
    3. CORDELIA
    4. JOHN
    5. ETTA
    6. NELLIE
    7. EMMA
    8. MYRA
    9. HENRY
    10. AMANDA

All but the last three married.

BRADLEY, Collins (119)

Came to P. from Coos county, N. H., in 1818 and purchased a claim to 60 acres of land, part of lot 54, T. 4.

He m. Louisa Hutchins, dau. of Calvin Hutchins, in P. Some years later he sold his claim and removed to Dunkirk, this county, where he d.

His wife is still living with a dau., in Summit county, Ohio. Politically Mr. B. was a whig.

Note: Louisa d. in Cleveland, Ohio on 01, Feb. 1881 at age 84.

BRAINARD, Cephas (44)

Was the son of Samuel, and b. in Conn. Jan. 24, 1788. He removed to Herkimer county, N.Y., when a boy.

He m. Polly Crosby March 10, 1808. Mrs. B. was b. Nov. 22, 1789, and was sister of Luther Crosby, an early settler in P.

(Mr. B.) emigrated to P. in the fall of 1814; settled on the N. pt. of lot 29, T. 5, farm now owned and occupied by A. T. Mead .

Upon this purchase he built a log house which was occupied by the family the following winter.

In 1825 or ’26 he purchased a piece of land of James Dunn on the opposite side of the road and erected the house now

on the farm occupied by Mr. Mead. Mr. B. was a farmer and in after years a cattle dealer, driving to the Buffalo or

Toronto markets; probably the first dealer of that class of any note in town. In 1836 he removed to Arkwright, in this county; in

1852 to McKean, Erie county, Pa. and in 1865 to DeKalb Co., Ill., where he died July 9, 1868. Mrs. B. d. Feb 1, 1868.

Mr. B. was a Universalist; politically a whig, American and through the war of 1812 a democrat.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Brainard –

    1. LOVINA: b. April 8, 1810; m. James Quigley in P., 1838; settled in P.; d. Jan 28, 1847.
    2. AMANDA: b. Sept. 27, 1811; m. John Quigley March 3, 1831; settled in P.
    3. ARTAMESE: b. Dec. 30, 1813; d. Aug. 24, 1815.
    4. ORREN: b. in P. March 1, 1816; m. 1st Mary Ann Fay March 1, 1841; 2nd Caroline Lamont; settled in Pomfret; afterward in P.
    5. ALVIN: b. May 11, 1818; d. Dec. 8, 1839
    6. LEVI: b. July 2, 1820; m. E. Andrews in 1844; settled in Illinois.
    7. ASA: b. May 28, 1823; m. Lovina Davis; settled in Pomfret.
    8. JACKSON: b. March 27, 1826; m. Euphemia Wilson; settled in Arkwright.
    9. ANSON: b. Oct. 26, 1829; m. in Ill and settled there; d. Dec. 12, 1861 in Missouri; a soldier in Fremont’s army.
    10. POLLY ANN: b. March 10, 1833; m. I. P. Merrills; settled in Pomfret.

BROOKS, Asa (51)

Mr. Brooks claimed to have been the first white child b. in Buffalo, N.Y. He disputed with a good deal of energy the claim to this honor with a daughter of Asa Ransom, who was afterward the wife of F. B. Merrill of Cheektowaga. Mrs. Merrill is claimed to have been the first white child b. in all that region outside the walls of fort Niagara. Of the facts the writer has no means of knowing. Mr. Brooks was in Canada at the opening of the war of 1812, but soon returned and enlisted in the U.S. army. Towards the close of the war he was wounded in both arms. He came to P. in 1815, m. Anna, dau. of David Joy, and for several years carried mail between Buffalo and Erie on horseback. He purchased fifty acres of land from Elijah Fay, p’t of lot 40, T. 5, which he occupied in 1820. He was a mason by trade and a member of the Baptist church in P. He removed to Illinois in 1830 or 31.

BROWN, Mansur (146)

Was b. in Canterbury, Conn., in 1794. In 1813 he m. Chloe Martin, who was b. in Thompson, Conn., 1797. He came to the "purchase" in 1818 and bought a claim to pt. of lot 18, T. 5, farm since owned by Dea. Henry Reynolds and others. In 1819 he removed with his family, a one horse wagon containing the family and their effects. He occupied a log house until 1830 when he built a frame house, now standing on the north side of the road opposite the farm. About 1835 Mr. Brown sold to Henry Reynolds and removed to Hayfield, Crawford Co., Pa., and subsequently to Grandville, Michigan, where he d. March 17, 1867. Mr. B. was a wagon maker, and built and occupied for some years the shop now owned and occupied by O. N. Fay, on S. W. pt. of lot 19 T. 5. He was a man of great physical endurance and untiring energy. He was a free- will Baptist; politically a republican.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Brown –

    1. JOHN M.: b. Oct 7, 1815; m. Maria Churchill, dau. of Dea. Dana Churchill Oct. 19, 1836; lived in P. until 1848; since then lived in Va. And Pa. and now in Jamestown, Michigan.
    2. LOUISA: b. in 1818; m. Squire L. Gitchel in P. in 1833; now lives in Jamestown, Michigan.
    3. LUCIUS B.: b. Jan. 23, 1821; m. Caroline E. Hamlin in 1842; also lives in Jamestown, Michigan.
    4. JAMES: b. Sept. 1828; m. Diantha Bail in 1851; now lives in Byron, Michigan.

BUMP, Asa (171)

Originally from Butternuts, Otsego Co., N.Y., came to P. from Saegertown, Crawford Co., Pa., in 1821. He settled on the S. W. part of lot 34, T. 5, land now owned by J. McFadden. His article bears date Oct --, 1821. In 1834 he sold his land to Zalmon C. Goodsell and removed with his whole family to Kirkland, Ohio, having become interested in the Mormon faith. Those of the family now living are with the faithful at Salt Lake City, as far as known.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Bump –

    1. JACOB: for some years owned and occupied the farm now owned by Erastus Denison, N. pt. lot 24, T. 5.
    2. GUYLE:
    3. JOHN:
    4. JAMES:
    5. JEROME:
    6. BENJAMIN

BUMP, Jacob (172)

Was from Butternuts, Otsego Co., originally, but from Saegertown, Pa. to P. in 1821, removing with his brother Asa (No. 171). He bought the farm now owned and occupied by J. W. Scott of Wm. Howe, pt. of lot 17, T. 5 that or the next year. He sold in 1834 or ’35 to Ithuel Churchill and removed to Illinois. He was an exemplary man and an excellent citizen.

BURCH, Jonathan (37)

Was the son of Jonathan and Eunice Burch, and was b. in the town of Wells, Vt. in 1766. He m. Sally Hosford in Vt. in 1786. Mrs. B. was b. in Vt. in 1766. Soon after m. he removed to Herkimer County, N. Y. and some years later to Chenango County. In 1811 he visited the Purchase and in Jan 1813 removed to p. with his family and effects, with an ox team and stout wooden sled. He settled on lot 62, T. 4, farm now owned by his son Oliver W. He built his log house with a shake roof in which he lived until 1825, when he built a frame house. The people of the town, with those of other towns, suffered many privations and were often without the means of sustaining life. This was no casual occurrence. During he war of 1812 very few were engaged clearing land, but after its close the sound of the ax was again heard and the effect was soon manifest. Every settler worked with a will, though his larder was the forest and no bread came to his table. "Loggings were the order of the day, and among the rest my father made one and invited many, all that could well be reached. Peter Kane was among the happy guests, coming early, before dinner. Our bill of fare was scanty enough, and some one, feeling a little mortified, began making excuses for our entire want of meat. ‘Make no excuses’ said Mr. Kane ‘we had no bread for breakfast" A neighbor with a large family ran out of provisions and started out one day for bread or corn, but found none. Happily for him he thought he found a keg of whisky, brought it home and told his family to live while it lasted. A son of Mr. B. was in the war of 1812 at Buffalo. Mr. B. raised a large family of ch. all of whom were b. in Warren, Herkimer County, except the youngest, who was b. in Guilford, Chenango county. Mr. B. d. on the lot where he settled April 4th 1838. Mrs. B. d. there also in Oct. 1845. They were bu. in the W. & P. U. Cemetery.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Burch –

    1. EUNICE: m. Heman Ely; settled in Dunkirk in 1812; came to P. in 1815.
    2. OLIVE: m. Zeri Yale in Guilford; yet living there.
    3. JONATHAN: b. in 1793; m. Mariah Yale; lives now near Lakeport, Michigan.
    4. POWELL G.; b. in 1795; m. Lovina Palmer in Guilford, in Jan 1822; lives in Brooklin, Pa.
    5. POLLY: b. in 1797; m. Jared Taylor in P. about 1814; both d.
    6. SALLY: b. in 1799; m. Erastus Cole of Dunkirk; Mr. C. id d. Mrs. C. is still living.
    7. OLIVBR W.: b. in 1801; m. Mary S. Tower of P.; Mar. 8th 1826. Mrs. B. d. Mar. 2d 1851; Mr. B. m. Amanda Sanderlin of Westfield.
    8. CHAUNCEY: b. Apr. 27th 1803; m. Nancy Cole of Dunkirk in 1825; now lives in Erie County, Pa.
    9. MATILDA: b/ Sept. 8th 1805; d. in P. Apr. 1822; bu. in W. P. U. cemetery.
    10. STEPHEN S.: b. June 19th 1807; a bachelor; lives in Chenango county.

BURDICK, Ezra (192)

Came to P. from Vt. but when is not known. He lived for some years on the farm now owned by John Hardenburg, pt. of lot 11, T. 5, afterward on pt. of lot 1, T. 5. He m. Mary, dau. of Amos Gill. His bro. David m. Harriet Gill and lived on the same lot. They went to Wisconsin about 1845.

BURTON, Simon (67)

Was of English descent. His paternal ancestor in America was b. in Durham, England, in 1685, and came to America in 1720. Simon was b. in Sutton, Mass. Nov. 19th, 1769; m. Margaret French in 1786. Mrs. B. was b. at Salem, Mass, July 1st, 1764. Mr. and Mrs. Burton removed to Croydon, Sullivan county, N. H.; from there to Windsor, Vt. in 1804, and to Louiseville, St. Lawrence county, N. Y. in 1810, but from difficulties with the St. Regis Indians, were compelled to remove to Ogdensburg, where he and four of his sons enlisted in the war of 1812. In 1816 he "went west" as far as Ohio, and on his return, at the tavern of Richard Williams in P., engaged to build a mill for William Dunham that season. July 2d, he articled pt lot 27,. T. 5, and the next Mar. pt. of lot 22; and himself built mills at the mouth of Slippery Rock Creek in 1817. [see Mills] He was a man of considerable inventive genius, and was the inventor of the Tub Water Wheel; and of a machine for cutting book board from timber. He was engaged in several important enterprises, and seldom failed of accomplishing whatever he undertook. He built several houses in town, and one in Fredonia, adjoining on the west the drug store of Charlie Burritt. Mr. B. was a politician of the Clay school; in religion a Universalist. He d. June 8 th, 1842, and his wife in July 1850. They were buried in North Portland Cemetery.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Burton –

    1. MARGARET: b. July 25th, 1787; m. Samuel Millet; d. in P. Jan 1861.
    2. SALMON: b. June 25th, 1789; d. July 30th, 1813, at Sackett’s Harbor, from wounds received at the taking of Little York, now Toronto, Canada.
    3. MINDWELL: b. May 4th, 1791; m. John Carpenter; lives in Vt.
    4. LUCINDA: b. Mar. 15th, 1793; m. Oliver Spafford; d. in Erie, Pa. Jan. 6th, 1855.
    5. SIMON: twin with John; b. July 28th , 1795; m. Abigail Baldwin; still living in P.
    6. JOHN: twin with Simon; b. July 28th , 1795; m. Abigail Freeman; went west some years since.
    7. WILLARD: b. Jan 19th, 1797; m. Nancy Conner; d. in Crawford Co., Pa., Oct. 1844.
    8. HIRAM: b. Nov 22d, 1799; m. Harriet Skinner, Dec. 25th, 1821; living in P.
    9. LINUS: b. Mar. 25th, 1804; killed by the British at taking of Ogdensburg, N. Y., Feb.22d, 1818.
    10. JEFFERSON: b. Feb. 15th, 1809; m. Eliza Crosby; d. June 12th, 1841; widow m. again and removed to Salt Lake city; supposed to be still living.

NOTES: (1) a daughter of M. & S. Millet drowned in millpond at sawmill built by her eldest brother Alvah Millet. No age given – summer of 1841. Details in memoirs by Dr. M. W, Case of Philadelphia.

(4) Oliver Spafford was a bookbinder in Fredonia and removed to Erie, Pa. He died 30 Sep. 1881 in Erie, in his 90th year., son Oliver Jr. died 24 May 1879 in Erie. Lucinda d. in Erie 6 Jan 1855. Obits of all three in Fredonia Censor.

(5)Abigail wife of Simon d. 25 April 1879 – long obit – much abt. Her hsb. Simon Burton. He sold his land and removed to Kansas, where several of his children were located. He d. there in 1880.

(7) Hiram Burton d. at age 93 – 7 Jan 1892; had 8 children: 4sons and 2 daus. Survived him. His wife Harriet Skinner Burton died 14 Jan 1891 age 86. Named are: Addison, of Ripley; Charles of Cedar Rapids, IA.; Chester and Salmon of Brocton, N.Y.; Miss Louise Burton of Brocton; and Ann wife of J.M. Johnson of Ripley. A son Harris died in P. 26 Aug 1854 age 13m 18d. There is also obit for his son Salmon Burton who d. 22 Aug 1893 – and probate of will is included.

(9) Linus d. of cancerous tumor on 21 Nov 1876. Obit in Fredonia Censor.

One other item of interest is an obit for a William Burton in Kansas; "William Burton was lynched by a mob of avengers near Ink Ranch, Kansas, for horse stealing." On 29 May 1886 – this item was in Fredonia Censor 9 June 1886.

BUSHNELL, Chester (39)

Came from Rome, Oneida Co., N. Y., to P. in the spring of 1812, and settled on pt. of lot 53, T. 4, farm now owned by Wm. Arnold . He m. Polly McNitt, in Rome, in 1815. He left town in 1820. His article bears date April 15th, 1812.

CARLEY, Loren P. (196)

A bro. of Titus G. (No. 195) came to P. about 1824. He m. Lucy, a dau of Seth Shattuck and sister of Isaac and Loren. He lived for many years on pt of lot 1, T 5, but about 1856 he moved to Sheridan, this county.

CARLEY, Titus G. (195)

Came to P. about 1824. He settled on the Lathrop place, south of Brocton, now owned by Henry Dunbar. He afterward lived at Portland Center for several years and d. there Dec 25, 1846. He m. Betsey, dau. of Oliver Elliott. His wid. m. Stephen Stilwell and lives in Dunkirk.

CARPENTER, David (19)

Was a brother of the first wife of Parsons Taylor, and came to P. with him from Chenango Co., N.Y., in 1809. He bought 50 acres of land from James Dunn, now owned by David Skinner, central part of lot 34, T. 5. He m. Julia Crane and d. June 24, 1833.

CARPENTER, Timothy (204)

Was a brother of David (No 19) and came to P. from Chenango county, N.Y., in 1825, and settled on pt. of lot 48, T. 4, farm now owned by G. M. Arnold; afterward on pt. of lot 55 T. 4, farm now owned by E. Saunders. He left P. in 1829 or ’30 and for a few years lived in Carroll, this county, and from there went west.

CASE, William (182)

Was the son of Jonathan and Alche Case, b. at Hoosick, Rensselaer County, May 13, 1794. He m. Polly Hempsted, dau. of Nathaniel and Esther Hempsted Dec. 12, 1813. Mrs. C. was b. in Nassau, Rensselaer County, May 3, 1796. They settled in Williamstown, Oswego county, N. Y., where they lived until March, 1823, when they removed to Pomfret, in this county, and in the fall of the same year to P., and purchased of Thomas Walker (Corning) pt. of lot 15, T. 5, farm now owned and occupied by Luke Haight. The journey to Pomfret from Oswego was a slow and tedious one, owing to the sudden disappearance of the snow and the necessity of conveying their load upon a sleigh with the mud and waters almost any depth. Their stock of provisions became exhausted before reaching Fiddlers’ Green, now Springville, Erie county and as none could be obtained at that place or Lodi, now Gowanda, they came near starving, and were only relieved by a traveler at some point near Perrysburg, who " opened his box of provisions and gave us an ample repast. For this act the stranger has ever been held in most grateful and kindly remembrance." The first house of Mr. Case was a log house but in 1830 he built a frame house, which is still standing and occupied by Mr. Haight, as an out-house. In 1840 he sold his farm to Mark Haight and purchased the farm of W. F. Crandall, p’t of lot 15, T. 5. In 1863 he sold this farm and removed to Portland Center, where he d. Sept. 30, that year. Mrs. C. d. in 1871 at Hokah, Minnesota; was bu. in Brocton cemetery by the side of her husband. Mr. C. was in the U. S. service in the war of 1812 for a few weeks. He was a Methodist, and politically a republican.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Case –

    1. WM. JAMES: b. Feb. 27, 1815; d. in P. June 3, 1845.
    2. ISAAC H.: b. Nov. 7, 1817; is a physician; lives in Indiana.
    3. DANA F.: b. Mar. 27, 1820; is depot agent on S. Minn. R.R.
    4. ALANSON G.: b. Feb. 25, 1822; is a physician; lives in Indiana.
    5. ALBERT M.: b. May 14, 1826; now pastor of Plymouth Cong. Church, Burlington, Wis.
    6. P. MARIA: b. June 20, 1828; m. A. H. Bowdish; resides in Hokah, Minn.
    7. MILTON W.: b. Aug. 18, 1830; is a physician in Chicago, Ill.
    8. CHARLES W.: b. Dec. 2, 1833; d. July 2, 1858; bu. Brocton cemetery.
    9. LAVANTIA D.: b. Oct. 13, 1836; m. D. L. Clements, general ticket agent S. Minn. R. R.; lives in Hokah, Minn.
    10. WESTWOOD W.: b. Dec. 13, 1838; is a clergyman and now pastor of Asbury M. E. church, Milwaukee, Wis.

CASS, Joseph (70)

Was son of Nathan and Phila Southwick Cass and was b. in Stafford, Coos county, N. H. in 1780. In 1810 he m. Tabitha Day, dau. of Eliphalet and Tirzah French Day, who was b. in 1789. He removed to P. in 1813. Mr. Asa Hall went from P. to N. H. in the midst of winter, in a sleigh and moved Mr. Cass ; an undertaking few would attempt at this day. Mrs. C. d. Aug. the same year while they were living upon the "Allen Wright" farm near Westfield and was bu. in Ripley. Mr. Cass m. for a second wife Jane Dickinson, dau. of Judge Robert Dickinson of Ripley, and in 1816 purchased the farm of Peter Ingersoll in P. pt of lot 41, T. 5, occupying the log house upon the south side of the road until 1818 when he built the house now standing on the farm. He kept tavern in town for five years. In 1821 he sold, and bought the "Smallwood Farm" in Ripley, which he sold in 1832 and removed to Harbor Creek, Pa., from there to Will, county Ill.; and from there to Mt. Vernon, Ohio, and lastly to Iberia, Morrow county, Ohio, where he d. Feb. 5th 1868; Mrs. C. d. there in Jan. 1865. Mr. C. was a Baptist; politically a democrat to 1840, then a Whig and Republican respectively.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Cass –

    1. FIVILLA: b. Feb. 17th 1811 in N. H.; m. Wiseman C. Nichols; settled in P. in 1841; now lives in Cardington, Ohio.
    2. EMOGENE: b. in N. H. Dec. 25th 1812; m. Richard Bushwell in 1835; Mr. B. d. in Michigan in Mar. 1858.
    3. WELLINGTON: b. in 1817; m. Minerva French.
    4. SAMUEL D.: b. in 1819; m. Martha Strong.
    5. MARY: b. in 1821; m. Henry Gruber; d. in 1861.
    6. CAMPBELL: b. in 1823; m. Rachel Bloomfield.
    7. JONATHAN: b. in 1825; m. Mary Ann Parker; lives in Piqua, Ohio.

The first two named were by his first marriage and b, in N. H.

NOTES: Tabitha Cass, wife of Joseph died 25 Nov. 1813 – Source: Gleanings by Virginia Washburn Barden.

CHARTER, James (147)

Came to P. from Warsaw, Wyoming County, N. Y., in 1819, and settled on Pt. of lot 16, T. 5, land now owned and occupied by Wm. Martin. He was originally from Ticonderoga. He sold in 1835 and removed to Ohio.

Family of Mr. Charter –

    1. LEMON:
    2. DANIEL:
    3. PERMELIA:

CHURCHILL, John (46)

Was a bro. of Sylvester [No. 45] and b. at Huberton, Vt. April 15, 1787. He m. Mary House in 1813. Mrs. C. was probably b. in New Jersey, as her parents came from that state. Mr. and Mrs. C. came to P. in May or June 1816, from Homer, Cortland Co., N. Y., and settled on land located by him and his brother in 1814. Mr. C. occupied the west portion of the purchase. This land was first located by P. Kane in 1806 . He occupied a log house with a frame addition until 1851, when he sold and removed to Erie county, this state, where he d. April 11, 1854. Mrs. C. d. Nov. 5, 1834, and Mr. C. m. in 1835 Olive Rumsey, who d. Sept. 7, 1861. Mr. C. was a Congregationalist; in early life he was a democrat but later a whig. The house now upon the farm was built by Dea. Dana Churchill in 1855.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Churchill –

    1. PHEBE: b. in Homer, N.T. in 1815; m. Hamilton Cherry; settled in Erie county, N. Y.; still living.
    2. MARTHA M.: b. in P. in 1818; d. in 1826.

CHURCHILL, Sylvester (45)

Was the son of John and Martha Baldwin Churchill, and was b. in Huberton, Rutland county, Vt., Oct. 7, 1788. He m. Theodosia House, dau. of Dea. John House, in Cortland county, N. Y., Jan. 9, 1816. Mrs. C. was b. in Homer, Cortland county in 1795. Sylvester and John, his bro., came to P. in 1814 and purchased p’t of lot 38, T. 5 – 114 acres, - land now owned by E. P. Wilson and Dea. A. L. Blowers. In the spring of 1815 Mr. C. came to P., built a log house on the south end of his purchase, cleared a few acres, raised a crop of corn and returned. In Feb. 1816, he removed his family in company with David House. The goods of both families were packed upon a single wagon and drawn by an ox team. The hardy energy of the pioneer women was in some sense manifested in the wives of these two emigrants, in that they walked nearly the whole distance in the midst of winter from the Genesee river to P. Mr. C. sold his farm in 1826 and bought the N. p’t of lot 62, T. 4, which he sold in 1835 to Jared Taylor and removed to Ohio. He is now living at Munson, Geauga county, that state. Mrs. C. d. there May 26, 1850. Mr. C. was a member of the first Congregational church formed in this town. In early life he was a democrat but now a republican.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Churchill –

    1. JOSIAH: b. Nov. 1, 1816; m. Eunice Morris Apr. 1839; settled in Franklin, Ohio; d. there Oct. 6, 1851.
    2. ORVILLE S.: b. Oct. 11, 1818; m. Sarah Vanauken May 15, 1842; settled in Charden, Ohio
    3. DANIEL: b. July 16, 1820; m. Julia A. House in 1841; settled in P.; now lives on lot 62, T. 4.
    4. LEVI: b. Dec. 21, 1822; m. Sally A. Hinkston Oct. 8, 1851; settled in Munson, Ohio.
    5. MARTHA: b. Jan 4, 1826; m. Ira Warner March 4, 1847; settled in Viola, Minnesota.
    6. MARY: b. May 11, 1827; m. Moses Clapp Feb. 23, 1848; settled in Olmsted county, Minnesota.

CLEMENTS, Henry C. (223)

In 1827 settled on part of lot 23, T. 5, farm now owned and occupied by Ervin Kelley. He came from the eastern part of the state; was a man of great energy and activity, but remained in town but a few years, removing to Pa, about 1833. For two or three years he was part owner of the Everts sawmill.

CLOUGH, Horace (177)

Came to P. from Madison county, N. Y., in 1822, and bought the farm commonly known as the Peck farm, n. pt. of lot 29, T. 5. He built the house now on the farm in 1823. The farm is now owned by Jason Webster . He sold in 1828 to Asabel Peck and removed to Laona, this county. He m. 1st in Madison county; 2d a sister of Jesse Baldwin, then of this town but now of Sheridan. Mr. and Mrs. C. are both dead.

COLT, Wolcott (123)

Was b. in Sandsfield, Mass, July 28, 1800. He came to P. in 1822, and in March of that year, he articled p’t of lot 17, T. 5, farm now owned by his son Chandler. He m. Betsey, dau, of Samuel Munson, in 1824. Mrs. C. was b. in Oneida county, N. Y., in April 1800. They lived upon their farm until 1856 when they removed to the Baptist parsonage on p’t of lot 26, T. 5, place now owned by Hiram Burton where Mrs. C. d. Oct. 7, that year. Mr. C. is still living, near North East, Pa. He was a bro. of Mrs. Nath. Reeder (No. 158) Mr. C. is an earnest member of the Protestant Methodist church; politically a republican.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Colt –

    1. FRANKLIN: m. Angelina Simmons.
    2. MILTON: m. Mary Spencer.
    3. MERCELLA; m. Jehial H. Grant.
    4. CHANDLER: m. Merab A. Onthank.
    5. MARYETTE: d. in Oct. 1856.
    6. SARAH ANN m. Collins Haight.

NOTES: Wolcott colt died in 1881 in Conneaut, Ohio; remains were brought to P. and he was bu. in Evergreen Cemetery beside his wife. Fredonia Censor 23 Feb. 1881.

Marietta Colt d. 1 Oct. 1956 in Portland age 18 yrs. FC 22 Oct. 1956. Mercella as Martha M. m. Jehial Grant on 30 Dec. 1852 in Portland by Rev. John Peate FC 1/5/53

CONEY, John (62)

Was b. in or near Boston, Mass., in 1753. His father’s name was William and came from England. His mother’s maiden name was Betsey Lowell. He was two years in the Continental army, and in government employ to the close of the war. Soon after he m. Lovina Patterson at Palmer, Mass., and lived at Hadley, that state, until 1807 when he removed to Bennington, Vt., and from there to P. in 1823. He d. in P. in 1838, aged 83. Mrs. Coney d. in P. Nov. 4, 1852, aged 90.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Coney –

    1. JOHN RUSSELL: was born at Hadley, Mass., in 1785; went with family to Vt. in 1807, and in 1813 m. Mrs. Sally Keyes, dau. of Moses Sage . They removed to P .in 1814 and settled on the N. W. p’t lot 19 T. 5, occupying a log house until 1822 when the house now on the farm was built. In this house he kept tavern twelve years. [See Taverns.] He removed to Centerville in 1835, returning to his farm in 1849, where he d. May 26, 1854. Mrs. C. d. at Westfield, this county, April 18, ----. Mr. and Mrs. Coney had but one child a dau. [FANNY Coney] who m. Joseph Lockwood. Mrs. Lockwood d. July 23, 1838, and was bu. at Brocton. Mr. Coney was a man of considerable business capacity and enjoyed the fullest respect and confidence of his townsmen.
    2. WILLIAM: was b. at Hadley in 1787; did not remove to P. but lived in Vt. and Mass. During a long life, dying at Charlemont , in the latter state.
    3. SOLOMON: b. Lowell, Mass. In 1789; came to P. from Vt. in 1815; m. Fanny Sage, sister of Harry Sage, Brocton, the same fall, and in 1817 built the house now owned and occupied by M. P. Barber in Brocton, N. E. p’t of lot 21, T. 5, and erected on it a grist-mill in 1823, a dwelling in 1824 and a saw-mill in 1835. He purchased a distillery on the premises of Silas Houghton in 1827. [See Mills & etc.} Mr. C. was a millwright by trade. He d. in town April 28, 1850. His widow is still living, with a sister, Mrs. C. S. Colvin of Bennington, Vt.
    4. OLIVER: came to P. from Charlemont, Mass. In 1828. Mrs. Coney’s maiden name was Sophia Fales. For some time about 1836 Mr. C. kept a tavern at Portland Center in the building long owned by D. Tallman. He d. May 14, 1850. Mrs. C. is still living, with her dau., Mrs. R. D. Fuller.
    5. LOWELL: came to P. from Vt.; never m. but for many years lived in a house north of Brocton where now stands the house of Nolton Smith, on lot 21, T. 5. He d. many years since.
    6. MARTIN: came from Vt. to P. in July 1816, and m. Maria Barnes, dau. of Calvin Barnes, in Nov. 1823. He settled on p’t of lot 34, T. 5, land now in p’t owned by O. J. Greene. In 1828 he built the house now occupied by Mr. Greene, in which he kept tavern for four years. He removed to Elgin, Illinois, in 1832, where he still resides.
    7. LUCY: m. ------ Simons and is now living near the old homestead in Vermont, nearly eighty years of age.
    8. LOVINA: m. Austin Barber and removed to P. in 1832. Mrs. B. d. Dec. 20, 1869, aged 67. She was bu. in Brocton cemetery.
    9. A dau. who died in early childhood.

NOTES: Fanny Coney m. Joseph S. Lockwood 8 Sept 1836 in p. by Elder C. LaHatt; she dau. of John R. Coney Esq. Fredonia Censor dated 9/14/36

Lovina Coney m. John H. Minton 17 Dec. 1843 at Salem X Roads by Elder C. La Hatt; she dau. of Solomon Coney. Fredonia Censor dated 12/27/43.

Martin Coney m. Maria Barnes 20 Nov 1823 in P. by Rev. Mr. Wright Fredonia Censor dated 11 26 1823.

CONNER, John (91)

Came from Ulster County, N. Y., to P. in May 1817. He settled on p’t of lot 26, T. 5, near Portland Station, land now owned by William Duggen. His article bears date May 29, 1817. His first house was a shanty covered with bark. His wife’s maiden name was Helen Bogardus. Mr. C. was a carpenter and joiner. He d. on the farm he settled March 6, 1848. Mrs. C. d. April 22, 1837. They were bu. in N. Portland cemetery. The family, like those of most of the early settlers, often refer to the privations of the first few years of their pioneer life. An incident is related: In the fall of 1819 Mr. C. made a trip to Fredonia to purchase salt to cure his pork fattened in the forest and for the family use. But salt was on a par with specie and could not be obtained, without it, and this was an article Mr. C. could not command. He offered wheat or corn at prices barely nominal, but to no purpose. Somewhat disheartened he turned his horse’s head homeward, feeling that his possessions were of little value as they were not sufficient to purchase a half barrel of salt. On arriving at Elijah Fay’s he related to Mr. F. his experience of the day and expressed himself as discouraged at the prospect before him. With a characteristic look and expression of his, Mr. Fay said; " Mr. Conner, call down here next Tuesday and I most guess I will have the salt for you." Mr. C. called at the time specified and received his half barrel of salt with a thankful heart.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Conner –

    1. MARY: m. Alvin Vancuren; settled in Canada
    2. PEGGY: b. Ulster County; m. Philip Rix.
    3. JOHN F.: m. 1st Lucinda Ferris; 2d Susan Palmer.
    4. JAMES: m. Nancy Correll.
    5. ELIZABETH: m. Geo. Freeman.
    6. NANCY: m. Willard Burton.
    7. EZRA: m. Maria Correll.
    8. HENRY: m. Caroline Goodwin.
    9. SALLY: m. Aaron Eby.
    10. DANIEL: m. Eliza Rix.
    11. DAVID: m. Caroline Moorhouse.

COOK, Samuel (139)

Was b. in Pawlet, Vt. June 1795. He emigrated to Sheridan, this county, and from there to P. in Sept. 1819. He m. a dau. of Daniel Baldwin, who was b. June 19, 1795. Mr. C. bought a claim to land now owned by Clark Walker, central p’t lot 36, T. 5. A frame house built by him was removed by Mr. Walker a few years since. His article bears date March 30, 1829. Mrs. Cook d. in P. in 1856. Mr. Cook d. in Crawford county, Pa ., in 1862. He was a Universalist; politically a whig and republican.

CORNING: John, Thomas and William (169)

Came to P. from Nova Scotia in 1821. Wm. Settled on pt. of lot 21, T. 5, near Brocton station L.S.R.R. Thomas, passing under the name Thomas Walker for reasons not known, settled on the farm now owned and occupied by Luke Haight, north of Brocton, pt of lot 15, T. 5, and sold to William Case in 1824. What became of them is not known.

CORRELL, William (58)

came to P. from Canada in Mar. 1815. Mrs. Correll was a native of Lancaster, Pa. They settled on the N pt. Of lot 36, T. 5. His article bears date Feb 24th 1816. From the tavern of James Dunn he was obliged to literally "cut his way through" the dense forest to his purchase. His shanty was built near the bank of Correll’s Creek. He afterward built a frame house, which was burned in 18-- . A small frame house was at once built, in which Mr. C. lived until he d. Nov 15 th, 1858, aged 80. His w. Barbara d. Jan 27th 1866. Mr. C. was a Methodist, and a father of Israel. Politically he was a republican.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Correll

  1. Nancy: m. James Conner; lives in Crawford county, Pa.
  2. Maria: m. Ezra Conner; lives in Iowa.
  3. Barbara: m. John Fellows; d. in P.
  4. Catherine: m. Jesse Devon; lives in Indiana
  5. John: b. in 1812; m. Jane Bruce; lives in Indiana.
  6. Joseph: b. in 1814; m. 1st Maria Sanborn; 2d Eliza Davis; lives on pt. Of old homestead.
  7. Abram: b. in 1816; m. Lucy Granger; d. in P. in 1856.

COTTON, William (88)

Was a blacksmith – one of the first in town/ He located pt. of lot 47, T4. His article bears date April 11, 1817.

CRANE, Lemuel (89)

Came to P. about 1817. He m. for second wife the widow of William Howe. [See Biog. Sketch Wm. Howe – no. 132] and lived for a few years on the farm formerly owned by Silas Houghton, now by Richard Reynolds, p’t of lot 19, T. 5.; afterward on the central part of lot 33, T. 5, land now owned by David Britcher. From here he removed to North East, Pa., where he d, His sons, John and Jason by a first m., who for sometime lived in town, also went to Pa. Mrs. C. returned to P.

CROSBY, Erastus (168)

Settled on S. E. pt. of lot 21, T. %, land now owned and occupied by Linus Burton and others, east of Brocton station. He bought a claim of Christopher McManus Feb. 28, 1821. Mr. McManus was killed on this place the next year – 1822. What became of Mr. Crosby is not known.

CROSBY, Joahua (189)

Was a native of nova Scotia and came from there to P. in June 1824. From Boston, Mass., he came with one horse and wagon, which seemed ample to convey his wife, 5 ch, and all his worldly goods. His wife’s maiden name was Hannah Carr. He eventually settled on p’t of lot 22 T. 5, where he lived for many years. He was somewhat eccentric in his habits, a genius in his way, and was original in his designs. Previous to coming to P. he was a sailor, but while here worked at various trades as fancy dictated. About 1837 his family becazme interested in the Mormon faith and removed about 1843 or ’44 to Nauvoo, Ill. Mrs. C. taking all of her family, some of whom were m. Mrs. C. d. at Nauvoo, but the rest of the family as far as is known are living in Utah. Mr. C. m. for a second wife Mrs., ---- Lewis, mother of Mrs. Linus Burton, with whom he lived for a number of years. About 1855 Mr. C. went to Salt Lake and Mrs. C. to ill. They are supposed to be living.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Crosby –

    1. HANNAH: m. Edward Mumford.
    2. ELIZA m. Jefferson Burton, who d. June 12m 1842.
    3. OBED; d. at Nauvoo.
    4. JOHN:
    5. JESSE:

The children were all born in Nova Scotia.

CROSBY, Luther (69)

Was b. in Dutchess County, N. Y., Jan. 1783. He emigrated to Norway, Herkimer County, in early life, and m. Amy Salisbury, about 1804. In 1818 he removed to P. and purchased a claim to N. E .pt. of lot 29, T. 5, land commonly known as the Dederick Farm. He was a gunsmith by trade. [See Mills and Trades} Mrs. C. d. in P. aged 51 years. In after years Mr. C. removed west, and d. in Dupage County, Ill., Feb 10th, 1864, aged 81. He was a Wesleyan Methodist; in politics a Whig.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Crosby –

    1. DELILAH: m. John Potter; d. in P. May 8th , 1873.
    2. HANNAH: m. Isaac Shattuck; was killed by being thrown from a wagon Apr. 23d, 1843. [See Seth Shattuck]
    3. CALVIN: was drowned in the mill- pond of Erastus Taylor, at 18 years of age.
    4. URVILLA: m. Wm. Robinson; now lives in Iroquois County, Ill.
    5. SALLY: m. Michael Kelly; is now a widow; lives in Boone County, Ill.
    6. ERVIN: m. Harriet Shaver; now lives in Middlebury, Summit County, Ohio.
    7. ROXY: d. at eleven years of age.
    8. LUTHER jun.: m. Harriet Sutton; now lives in Wisconsin.
    9. DANIEL: m. Calinda Sliter;; settled in Chicago, Ill; d. in 1853.
    10. ALONZO W: m. Lucina Dodge; settled in Wheaton, Ill.; d. in 1865.
    11. FRUTILLA: m. Asahel Robinson; lives at Shell Rock, Button County, Iowa.
    12. JASPER N.: m. Julia Bradley; lives at Middlebury, Summit County, Ohio.

Six of the family were born in Herkimer Co. and six in P.

CROSBY, Nathan (10

Came to P. from Pennsylvania in1807, locating what is now known as the Bowdish Farm.

N. part of lot 33 T. 5. His article was dated May 15 th that year. He sold to Rufus Perry in June 1809 and returned to Pa. Nothing definite is remembered of him.

DALEE, James W. (207)

Was the son of John F. and Maria Waterman Dalee and b. in Providence, R. I. Jan. 26, 1765. He M. Anstia Kennicott Dec. 2, 1792, who was b. in Rehobeth, R. I. Jan 22, 1775. They came from Cambridge, Washington county, N. Y., to Fredonia in 1824 and in 1825 to P. and settled on what was then known as the Judah Colt lot, S. E. p’t of lot 13, T. 5, now owned by V. G. Farnham, John Knickerbocker, Franklin Fay, Orrin Brainard and the heirs of Mark Haight. Mr. D, was a merchant and teacher and in 1826 built a frame building for a dwelling and store. His first house was a log one standing on the farm recently owned by Mr. Haight, Mr. D. d. here March 22, 1840 and Mrs. D. May 9, 1849. Mr. D. was a Free- will Baptist; politically a whig.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Dalee –

    1. JUSTUS: b. at Pittstown, N. Y., Oct. 1, 1793; m. Mary Fowler Oct. 1, 1816; now lives in Wisconsin.
    2. WATERMAN: b. at Pownal, Vt. May 6, 1795; m. Emily Osborn in 1835; now living in Ohio.
    3. FIELD: b. at Hoosac Falls, N. Y. June 18, 1797; m. Sarah D. Walworth in 1826; now living in P.
    4. JOHN: b. at Hoosac Falls Aug, 10, 1799; m. Mahitable Deming in 1823; lives in Ill. Mrs. D, d, there some years since.
    5. ANSTIS: b. in Cambridge, N. Y. Feb. 16, 1805; never m.; lives in P.
    6. NANCY: b. at Cambridge, N. Y. June 27, 1807; m. Timothy Judson in 1828; now lives at Fredonia, a widow.
    7. RICHARD W. M.: b. at Cambridge, N. Y. Oct. 18, 1809; m. Maria H. Minton in 1832; d. Harvard, Ill, May 6, 1868.
    8. PAUL C.: b. at Cambridge, N. Y. Jan. 27, 1815; m. Mary Thayer in 1841; d. in Rockton, Ill. in 1868.

There were five others who died in infancy.

NOTES: Anstis is female. Several interesting obits concerning this family appear in the Fredonia Censor.

DEAN, David (233)

Came from Ohio in Sept. 1828, and settled on part of lot 2, T. 5, farm now owned and occupied by Waldo Brown. He sold and returned to Ohio in 1835. Mrs. Dean was a sister of Mr. Samuel Millet. ( see 101 ).

DENTON, Isaac (222)

A cousin of Mrs. Elisha Rositer of Pomfret, settled on E. part of lot 1, T. 5, on the "old Chautauqua road," in April 1826, land now owned by James Farnham. About 1832 he went to Greenfield, PA.

DINSMORE, Silas (50)

Came from New Hampshire to P. on foot in the fall of 1816. He was a little eccentric in some respects, but an accomplished scholar. He taught school in P. in the winter of 1816-17 in the log schoolhouse standing in front of the residence of J. S. West, on lot 34, T. 5. The following winter he taught in Canadaway, and from there went to Alabama and was in the service of the government as a surveyor for three years. He was a member of the legislature of that state for several years but eventually emigrated to Texas, where he d. but at what time is not known.

DODGE, Daniel (29)

Settled on N. pt. of lot 55, T. 4, in 1810, and is said to have lived on lands now owned by S.M. Granger. Like many of the early settlers, he remained but a short time, a few years, and left for the west.

DOOLITTLE, Lyman (180)

Came to P. from Chenango county, this state, in 1818, and purchased a claim to S. E. pt of lot 19, T. 5, land since known as the Judson farm, of James Wilder, In 1828 he sold to T. Judson and bought the Darwin Goodrich farm, north of Brocton, pt of lot 21, T. 5. The assignment of his article bears date March 30, 1829. Within the next few years he sold and removed to Fredonia, this county, where he d. He had a large family of ch., two of whom only seem to be distinctly remembered, Orrin, who lives in Fredonia, and Levi.

NOTE: Lyman Doolittle d. at Dayton, Catt. Co. on 29 Mar. 1857. His son Orrin Doolittle d. 23 Jan 1887 in 69th yr. Orrin was b. in Brocton 14 May 1818. – was a blacksmith in Fredonia. Orrin m. Christina White 22 Sep 1842; Levi m. Helen Robbins on 3/8 Sep 1849.

DOTY, Elijah (176)

Came to P. in 1822 and settled on the farm now owned and occupied by W.D. Onthank, pt. of lot 32, T. 5; made large improvements and raised a large family of ch. Little is remembered of him. He went to Ohio in company of Peter Vangaasbeek and family in 1834.

DRIGGS, Anson (241)

Was the son of Martin and Joanna Bradley Driggs and b. at Hartford, Conn., June 18, 1789. He m. Sylvia Barbour, dau. of Roswell and Betsey Barbour, at Sheldon, N. Y., in 1817. Mrs. D. was b. in Otis, Mass., Sept. 1, 1797. They came to P. from Sheldon in 1829 and purchased of Wm. Dunn, the N. W. p’t of lot 30, T. 5, farm now owned by John Fleming, where they lived about 12 years. He changed his location several times and about 1855 purchased the Seth Richardson farm, p’t of lot 22, T. 5, where he d. Oct. 15, 1858. He was bu. in Evergreen cemetery. His w. is still living. Mr. and Mrs. D. were members of the Cong. Church in P. Mr. D. was in the U. S. service in the war of 1812 to its close. Politically he was a whig and republican.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Driggs –

    1. ANDREW B.: b. Aug. 12, 1818, in Sheldon, N. Y.; m. E. Fuller Nov 6, 1845, in P.; lives in Westfield, this county.
    2. J. E. b. May 18, 1820, at Leicester, N. Y.; d. March 22, 1825, at Sheldon.
    3. MILO A.: b. Aug. 27, 1821, at Leicester; m. Lovina Palmer April 13, 1841; lives in Westfield.
    4. SOPHRONIA S.: b. Jan. 21, 1823 in Leicester; m. Lennington Taylor March 5, 1855; lives in Harmonsburg, Pa.
    5. LOVINA: b. Aug. 28, 1824 in Sheldon; m. M. H. Hamlin Nov. 9, 1842; lives in Ill.
    6. JULIA E.: b. April 24, 1825 at Sheldon; m. Stephen Druse Feb. 22, 1843; lives in Ill.
    7. MARTIN: b. Oct. 15, 1828 at Sheldon; m. Caroline Thayer of P. Sept. 8, 1851; lives in Erie, Pa.
    8. M. T.: b. Aug. 21, 1829, at P.; d. there July 2, 1851.
    9. Emily A.: b. in 1831 at P.; m. Wm. Hamlin June 19, 1850; lives in Harvard, Ill.
    10. LAURA C.: b. May 5, 1833 in P.; m. George Martin Oct. 14, 1855; lives in Ill.
    11. MARY A.: b. July 29, 1838 at P.; m. A. B. Veer Jan 5, 1859; lives in Jamestown, Pa.
    12. HARRISON H.: b. June 30, 1841; killed on Erie & Pittsburg railroad Sept. 12, 1863.

DRUSE, John (72)

Was the son of John and Cynthia Pier Druse, and came to P. from Otsego county, N. Y. in 1812. In 1816 he purchased a claim to p’t of lot 41, T. 5, farm now owned by the heirs of G. W. Arnold. He sold in 1819 to Henry Shuff). He was a cooper by trade. He left town probably in 1835 or ’36. Politically he was a whig. Mrs. D. d, in P. in 1818; and in 1828 Mr. D. m. Hannah Birge, who d, in Ill. Mr. D. d. in Ill in 1848.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Druse –

    1. IRA: m. in Otsego county; d, in Ill.
    2. WAITY: m. Ephriaim Marsh of Pomfret; d. there in 1838.
    3. HANNAH: m. Daniel Armstrong in p.; lives in Ill.
    4. ZINA: m. ---- Sweet , in Ill.
    5. HIRAM: m. in Conneautville, PA.
    6. STEPHEN: m. Julia Driggs in P.; lives in Ill.
    7. JOHN: d. in Ill.

DUNHAM, William (71)

was the son of Samuel, and born in Amenia, Dutchess county, N.Y.

On July 1st 1758. He married Lucy Penoyer, who was b. April 4th 1762. He left Ulster county in 1815 for the west with no definite idea of his ultimate location. He stayed in Seneca county through the winter and in the spring of 1816 set forward intending to reach the "Fire Lands" in Ohio. The journey from Buffalo to Portland was a tedious one and Mrs. V. a daughter in referring to it, says " it was almost impossible to identify the animals composing the teams for they were literally plastered with mud." Stopping at the tavern of Richard Williams in P. to rest his teams, he became pleased with the country and within a week purchased a claim to W. part of lot 27 and E part of lot 32 Township 5, land now (1872) owned by J.E.Harris, T. Skeer, L. Correll and others. His log house was on lot 32. In 1820 he built a frame house the remains of which with the old barn were to be seen a few years since. [see Mills] Mr. D. was a Methodist and the father of Methodism in P. The first class was formed at his house in 1817. He commenced his religious work in town immediately and continued it to the end of life. Politically he was a whig. He lived upon the same farm he settled until his death Feb. 10th 1839. Mrs. D. d. Aug. 30th 1850.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Dunham:

    1. ABIGAIL: b. Nov 19th 1786; d. in 1796
    2. WILLIAM: b. Nov 26th 1788; m. Ann Skinner, sister of Chester Skinner of Brocton.
    3. JESSE b. Nov 1st 1790; m. Phebe Powell in Ulster county.
    4. PHEBE b. Mar. 8th 1792; m. Peter Vangaasbeek
    5. CHARLES: b. Dec 26th 1795; a bachelor, lives in P.
    6. LUCY: b. Oct. 18th 1797; m M.P. Vangaasbeek in P.; still living.
    7. SALOME: b. Dec 29th 1799; m. Hiram Martin; living in P.
    8. ALMA: b. Dec 30th 1801; m John Wilbur
    9. SAMUEL: b July 28th 1804; m. Sophia Wilbur.

DUNN, James (1)

Capt. James Dunn was the first settler of Portland. He was the son of William, and b. in Lycoming county, Pa., 1761. He m. ----- Alexander, in Mifflin county, Pa. 1791. Mrs. D. was b. in S. Carolina in 1771, and her father, James Alexander, removed to Pa. in 1779. Mr. D. lived upon his father’s farm until 1803, when he removed to a purchase of 500 acres of land near Meadville, Pa. Not being pleased with the location, in 1804 he explored the whole lake region from Erie, Pa. to Canadaway, and although the territory was not yet surveyed into lots, he located a tract to which he removed his family in 1805. His first contract with the Holland Company bears date May 30, 1804, for 1150 acres, as afterward surveyed all of lots 30, 31, 34, and parts of lots 25 and 35, T. 5, at $2.50 per acre. He afterward had "booked" to him by the company lots 19 and 38, T. 5, making in all 2002 acres. He came to P. with the Pa. regulation team of four horses. The roads were almost impassable and would have disheartened and turned back a less determined spirit. He first located on a portion of lot 31 near a large spring, near the present residence of E. B. Taylor, and built a shanty of poles for a temporary residence but removed to a more commodious one within the next few months, on the N. part of lot 30, T. %., near the present residence of Stephen Weld. Here he cleared an acre of land but remained no longer than the road surveyed by James McMahan in 1805 was located, when he built a log house on or near the ground where now stands the house of John Dudley; part of lot 30, T. 5, and removed to it in the spring of 1806. He opened a tavern in 1808, and in 1811 built a large log building for a bar room, which was removed but a few years since. Mr. D. lived here until his death, which occurred Oct. 23, 1838. Mrs. D. died Oct. 23, 1850. The house of Mr. Dunn was the great rallying point for the settlers for some years. The first public religious services in town were held at his house in 1810, and the first school was taught there the same year. The road passed to the south of the house and was not changed for many years. The nearest reliable point for grinding for the first few years was Erie, Pa., 35 miles or Black Rock, 55 miles. Mr. D. disposed of his land to actual settlers, reserving only the farm on which he lived, The first deed made and executed in town was by him to Nathan Fay, in 1807, for 46 acres of land now owned in part by S. S. Jones, part of lot 25, T. 5. Mr. D. was elected road commissioner in 1805, and it was through his influence that the south road so called, was surveyed through the town of Chautauqua that year. He was a Revolutionary soldier, an excellent citizen, and Mrs. D. was an excellent specimen of a pioneer’s wife. The old family Bible brought from Miffin Co., Pa. is in the possession of Mrs. Lucius Jones, the youngest dau. of Mr. D., now living in Hanover, this county, and has the following record:

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Dunn –

    1. WILLIAM: b. Feb. 8, 1792; m. Ann Smith; settled on farm now owned by John Fleming, part of lot 30, T. 5. ; sold to Anson Driggs and moved west.
    2. ELIZA: b. July 3, 1793; m. Dr. M. Simons; d. in Buffalo, N. Y. June 1836.; buried in Forestville, N.Y.
    3. JAMES: b. Feb. 28, 1796; died from effects of a fall Jan. 6, 1814.
    4. DAVIS: b. April 14, 1798; d. young.
    5. REBECCA: b. Jan 30, 1800; m. Richard Gator; d. in P. in 1828.
    6. DAVID: b. Oct 14, 1801; m. Harriet Porter; occupied the old homestead for many years; now lives in Missouri.
    7. JOHN: b. Oct. 16, 1803; m. ----- Page; settled on part of the old homestead.
    8. GEORGE W.: b. Jan. 23, 1807; was first white child b. in P.; never m.; d. Jan 23, 1841.
    9. JANE: b. June 3, 1811; m. Lucius Jones; lives in Hanover, this county.

The first six were b. in Mifflin Co., Pa. near Meadville, Pa.; three in P.

DURAND, Nehemiah (128)

Was the son of Fisk and Polly E. Platt Durand and was b. in Milford, Conn., March 21, 1796. In 1819, in company with his brother Fisk, he emigrated to Westfield, this county. He m. Philena Dean, dau. of Gilbert and Abigail Ballard Dean, in 1825. Mrs. B. was b. in Mass. In 1806. In 1826 he removed to P. and settled p’t of lot 63, T.4, farm now owned and occupied by Elisha Tower. Mr. D. built the house now occupied by Mr. Tower. He lived in town about 26 years removing again to Westfield, and some years later to Waupun, Fond du Lac county, Wis., where he still resides. Mr. D. was a carpenter and joiner by trade; a member of the Congregational church in P. and politically a republican.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Durand –

    1. DANIEL: b. in Westfield.
    2. EDWIN:
    3. WILLIAM
    4. HORACE
    5. HORACE
    6. MASON
    7. FRANCIS: b. in P.
    8. SARAH:
    9. POLLY:
    10. PLATT:
    11. GILBERT:
    12. PHILENA: b. in Westfield after removal there from P.

NOTE: Daniel Durand m. Nancy E. Ward 8 Jan 1856 in Westfield by Rev. Wilson. Fredonia Censor 1/20/56. and from the Fredonia Censor dated 4 Jan. 1826 the following: "Married in Ripley, on 23rd ult. Mr. Nehemiah Durand to Miss Philena Dean – On the 29th, Mr. Fisk Durand to Miss Nancy Forsyth, all of that town." The parents of Nehemiah and Fisk Jr. were also in Chautauqua county and are buried in the oldest section of the Westfield cemetery. Fisk Durand Sr. being a Revolutionary war veteran. Please see Patriot Soldiers of 1775 – 1783 : Vol. 1 pages 337-338 and Vol. 2 page 507. See also Westfield Cemetery, this web site.

DUSENBURY, Jeremiah (63)

Was the son of John and b. in Nassau, Rensselaer county, N.Y. His wife, Rachael Thompson, was b, in Chatham, Columbia county. They came to P. from the Black river country in 1815 or ’16 and settled on the farm now owned by William Becker, p’t of lot 19, T. 5. The remains of his log house are still to be seen. "In the first spring he made a little maple sugar, cleared a small patch for corn and was taken sick with fever, and we all came near starving. He was sick forty days and was treated by Dr. Simons of Westfield. I said we came near to starving, and should had it not been for the maple sugar and Mrs. E;isha Fay, the best woman God ever permitted to live, who brought us bread to eat in Sweetened water. Mrs. D. was sick at the time." A few years later he occupied for a year or two the farm now owned by Lincoln Fay, and in after years removed to Buffalo where he kept a tavern, and still later to Aurora, Erie Co., where he died in 1852. Mrs. D. m. a second time, but is again a widow. Mr. D. near the close of his life professed Christianity. Politically he was a democrat.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Dusenbury –

    1. ED CLARK: adopted in 1814; now lives at Silver Creek, this county.
    2. MARIA: b. in 1816.
    3. HIRAM: b. in 1820; now lives in Buffalo, N. Y.

EASTWOOD, Cornelius (159)

Came to P. in 1820. After living in town two or three years he settled on N. pt. of lot 33, T. 5, land now owned by M. J. Munson; afterward on pt. of lot 63, T. 4, where he lived for a few years and went west.

EATON, David (5)

Was the son of Benjamin and Mary Eaton, the oldest son and the fifth of a family of ten ch. He was b. in Framingham, Mass., Feb. 2, 1792. His father was poor, a shoemaker; and David was put upon the bench at nine years of age, and at fourteen made shoes for the market. When eighteen years of age his father d., but he continued the business and supported the family until he was twenty-two. Although troubled with the care and support of a large family, he found time to store his mind with the essentials of a good education. Early in 1805 he visited the "purchase" in company with Nathan Fay, and explored the whole lake region from Buffalo to N. East, Pa., returning in August. April 29, 1806 he m. Elizabeth Horne, and the next month, accompanied by his wife, mother and youngest sister, Nathan Fay and family, Elisha Fay and Nathaniel Fay, started for the west, " some point on the shore of lake Erie." His conveyance was a span of horses and covered wagon. Mrs. Eaton was in feeble health but hoping for a favorable change; but before reaching Utica, this state, showed signs of a decline, and arriving at New Hartford was obliged to stop for rest. But that insidious disease whose stealthy approach no hand may stay had marked its victim, and she d. June 10, and was buried there. Mr. Eaton left his mother and sister and proceeded to Canadaway and from there to P. and located at once p’t of lot 37, T. 5, the farm upon which he lived until his death – nearly sixty seven years. He returned to Batavia, procured his article, which bears date July 9, 1806, and paid the required ten per cent. The article was filled out by Wm. Peacock, then a clerk in the office, and Mr. E. remembered being asked if he could write his name. He returned to P. built a log house, cleared two acres of land and in October removed his family from New Hartford. The following winter was very severe; there was a heavy fall of snow, the mills at Westfield were frozen and he was obliged to resort to mortar and paste to prepare his corn for food. His mother kept house for him until 1811, when he m. Mrs. Mercy Fay, widow of Nathan Fay. [See No. 3] The sister of Mr. E. taught the first school in town in 1810 and followed teaching until 1815, when she m. and moved to Whitestown, this state. [ see schools ] The mother of Mr. E. d. Oct 14, 1848, aged 95 years and six months – His wife d. May 12, 1862. Mr. Eaton d. Oct 7, 1872, aged 90 years and 8 months. They were all buried in Evergreen Cemetery. Mr. Eaton was a man of considerable prominence; was in office of some kind many years and was an honest, faithful and competent officer.; in fact he was well fitted by nature, education and habit to become a leading spirit, as he did, in those early years of settlement of the county. He was clerk of the election in 1807, the first in the county; was elected assessor of the town of Chautauqua for 1809; was clerk of the board of supervisors from 1820 to ’27 and for the years 1831 and ’32; he was supervisor of the town for six years [see town officers] and was chairman of the board in 1815 when a new member; was a justice of the peace for several years; was appointed superintendent of the poor in 1844 and served in that capacity six years – the last term by election; was town clerk for fourteen years and in fact filled some official position until 1850. In common with most men of that day he was an aspirant for military honors. After serving in inferior positions he was commissioned lieutenant of militia by Gov. Tompkins in 1810 or ’11, and served in that capacity until 1814 when he was appointed regimental paymaster; which position he held to the close of the war. While lieut. Of Capt. Moore’s company of Chautauqua militia he was present at the battle of Queenstown, Oct 3, 1812; was in the battle of Black Rock and Buffalo Dec. 30, 1813, and was with his company on the Niagara frontier in Aug. and Sept. 1814. At the close of the war he resigned the position of regimental paymaster and as he says ‘bade adieu to all military affairs." [See War of 1812] He was appointed brigade inspector May 14, 1816, but declined serving.

Mr. and Mrs. Eaton were members of the first Congregational church formed in P. in 1818. Mrs. E. became a member of the church after its reorganization in 1833, but Mr. Eaton never again became a member of any church. Of his religious belief he says in his letter, "My present belief is that every person will receive according to the deeds done in the body, whether they be good or whether they be evil, without any reference to professions or want of professions, or sectarian names or creeds." Of his political sentiments he writes: "I was a federalist up to the war of 1812, but becoming dissatisfied with the course taken by the party with reference to the war I left it. I afterward became a Clintonian, and voted for J. Q. Adams for president, for Harrison, Taylor, Freemont, Lincoln, and Grant. Thus you have my politics in a nut shell." He was a Nester among the early settlers and little was done and no enterprise prosecuted for the benefit of the town or its citizens but that he was a guiding spirit. He lived a conscientious, upright life, and died as he lived. [see various dimensions of this work]

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Eaton –

    1. EDWIN: b. Dec. 19th 1811; m. Caroline P. Baldridge of Fredonia, Mar 1843; lives in Frewsburg, this county.
    2. EMILY: b. Aug. 8th 1813; m. Josiah Wheeler of Frewsburg, June 15th 1847; Mr. W. d. Oct. 1868; Mrs. W. d. May 27th 1871
    3. ALFRED: b. Mar. 4th 1815; m. Hannah C. Clark, May 20th 1845; settled in Wisconsin; now lives in this town on the old homestead.
    4. OSCAR: b. Aug 8th 1820; m. Louisa A. Kennedy of Steuben county, this state, Oct. 2d 1850; now professor of Mathematics and Natural Sciences in Packer Collegiate Institute, Brooklyn, N. Y.

ELLIOT, Oliver (254)

Came to P. from Vt. probably in 1818, and settled on p’t of lot 28, T. 5, house now standing a few rods N. of the schoolhouse in district No. 2. This house, with the one afterward built, has been entirely removed. He was twice m. {See Mills} Mr. E. d. Dec. 7, 1852. Mrs. E. d. Sept. 10, 1845. They were bu. in Evergreen cemetery.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Elliot –

    1. REBECCA: m. Henry Smith of Mayville; d. there a few years since.
    2. OLIVER: m. Betsey Logan, and eventually moved to Ill.
    3. JAMES: m. Betsey Scott; lived for a few years near his father’s mill, but now at North East, Pa.
    4. HUTCHINSON: m. and lives in Cherry Creek, this county.
    5. BETSEY: m. 1st Titus G. Carley; m. 2d Stephen Stillwel and lives in Dunkirk, this county.
    6. JONATHAN B.: m. Eliza Lilly’ settled on N. W. p’t of lot40, T. 4, farm now owned by David McGregor, where he d. Feb. 15, 1866.
    7. SARAH:
    8. ROXANA: m. Moses Elkins
    9. JOSEPH: m. and settled in Ill.
    10. SALLY: m. Linus Hopson
    11. POLLY: m. W. P. Moore; lives in Dunkirk, this county.
    12. & (13) TWINS: names not remembered

ELY, Heman (47)

Was the son of Simeon and Margaret Burch Ely. He m, Emma Burch in Warren, Herkimer county, N. Y., and came to Dunkirk, this county, in Feb. 1810, driving his team from Buffalo over the ice of the lake. In the spring of 1816 he removed to P. and settled on p’t of lot 62, T. 4, occupying a log house, to which a frame addition was built some years later. This land was first located by Perry Hall in 1810. Mrs. Ely d. here Nov. 17, 1844, aged 56. Mr. Ely d. Dec. 2, 1868, aged 85. They were bu. in W. & P. Union Cemetery. Mr. Ely was in the war of 1812. Politically he was a whig.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Ely –

    1. EUNICE: b. in Herkimer County, this state; m. Delos Hall; lives on the Ely homestead.
    2. SALLY: b. in Dunkirk, this county; m. Hiram Arnold; settled in P.; still living.
    3. LOUISA: b. in Dunkirk; m. Ferdinand Hall; settled in town of Chautauqua; still living.
    4. MARGARET: b. in P.; m. Bushrod Goodwin; settled in P.; lives now in town of Westfield.
    5. JANE: b. in P.; d. in Westfield March 12, 1839, aged 19 years.

EMERSON, Wilder (32)

Was the son of Nathaniel and Dolly Derbin Emerson, and was b. in the town of Stodard, Chesjire Co., N. H., Apr. 23d 1780* In 1801, he removed to Cortland county, N. Y., where he m. Ruth House, dau. of John House. In 1812 he removed to P. and in Sept settled on the N. pt. of lot 55, T. 4, land now owned by S. M. Granger and A. Lilly. He remained here for fourteen years, building in the time a frame house and barn. In Feb. 1818, Mrs. E. d. In Feb. 1819 Mr. E. m. Lydia Ballard. In 1826 he removed to Westfield, this county, and in 1845 to Spartansburg, Pa., where he d. Oct. 28th 1865, aged 84. His wife d. Nov. 21 st 1858, aged 83. Mr. E. was a Congregationalist; and politically a Whig. He was drafted in the war of 1812, but excused. In getting to his land Mr. E. took advantage of the old road way in school dist. No. 3, traversed by human beings possibly a thousand years ago. It is still occupied as a roadway.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Emerson –

    1. JOHN H.: b. in Solon, , Feb 19th 811; m. Henrietta Willet, Apr. 26th 1835, in Ontario county, this state; settled in Spartansburg, Pa.
    2. SARAH H.: b. May 24th 1813 in P.; m. Sylvester Taylor of Sheridan, this county, May 5th 1836; settled in Spartansburg, Pa.
    3. WILLIAM H.: b. in P. July 22d 1816; m. Asaph Walling of Sheridan this county, in 1836; went to Illinois and d. there in 1848.

ENSIGN, Otis (93)

Came to P. from Sheridan, this county, and settled on pt’ of lot 32, T. 5, in 1817.

He sold to __ Cook, who in turn sold to Jacob Barringer, in 1835. For some years Mr. Ensign kept a tavern in Dunkirk.

ENSIGN, Thomas (186)

Came to P. from Sheridan, this county, in 1822 or ’23. He was a brother of Otis Ensign.

He m. a sister of Chester Skinner in 1828 or ’29. And for two years kept tavern in the "old red tavern"

on lot 19, T. 5, where now stands the house of Wm. W. Pettit.

He afterward removed to the central part of the state, but in a few years returned to Sheridan.

EVERDEN, John (209)

Was a bro. of Samuel (No. 208) and came to P. from Pomfret in 1824 and settled on pt. of lot 7, T.5, his log house standing where the barn of A. W. Baker now stands. He m. Rose ------ in Sheridan He lived in town but a few years, removing to Ohio.

EVERDEN, Samuel (208)

Came to P. from Pomfret as early as 1825 (probably two or three years earlier) and settled on pt. of lot 7, T. 5. land now owned in part by A. W. Baker. That year he built a small frame house, now a part of the house of Mr. Baker. He lived in town but five or six years, leaving for that receptacle of the restless spirits of those early years, the west. He was for many years constable and for several years collector of the town of Pomfret, to which town he had emigrated as early as 1816. Nothing is now remembered of his family.

EVERTS, Jesse (203)

Came to P. from Murray, Orleans county, this state, in 1825. He settled on a farm since known as the Marsh farm, pt of lot 24, T. 5. He sold his farm to Isaac Marsh in 1836 and removed to Conneaut, Ohio, where he and his w. died.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Everts –

    1. JESSE:
    2. DORCAS:
    3. URANIA:
    4. CALVIN:
    5. TAMOR:
    6. LUTHER:
    7. MARTIN: m. Harriet Everden.
    8. OBEDIENCE: m. Robert, son of John Quigley .
    9. MILO:

But two of the family m. in town.



Go To F-M
Go To N-Z