HISTORICAL SKETCHES of the TOWN OF PORTLAND

BY H.C. TAYLOR, M.D. Published 1873

There are 258 sketches in this book.

They are arranged chronologically in the book from number 1; James Dunn, who came in 1805: to number 258: Joshua Jackson, who settled in 1830.

I have arranged them in alphabetical order for easier searching. The number following name ( ) is the chronological number of the sketch.

It appears that Dr. Taylor contacted as many of these families as he was able to and received letters from many of the families which gave b. d. and marriages and added information on their trips to P. or their early years in P. Dr. Taylor did much research back when early records were still available. He has also mentioned who now (1873) owns the property. I have put these names in BOLD type. Marriages also give clues as to what other families were here after 1830.

I have also added some NOTES: on some of the families, usually with the source of this additional information.

Please be aware that these sketches may not always contain accurate information try to use another source for confirmation.


NASH, Cotton (251)

Was the first settler of the village of Centerville. He came into town in 1830, built and occupied a shanty where the tavern house of R. D. Fuller now stands. He was a wagon maker. He sold to J. R. Coney in 1832 or 33 and removed to Pa.

NICHOLS, Benjamin (221)

Settled on central part of lot 21, T. 5, farm since known as the Ogden farm, about 1826. He remained but ten years, removing to town of Chautauqua in 1836, and from there to the western states.

ODELL, John (217)

Came to P. from some of the eastern states about 1825 and lived on a farm owned by his bro. (No. 216) He was a man of good education, a little eccentric, and averse to hard labor. In 1832 or 33 he drew $800 in a lottery and at once left town for Ohio, where he invested his funds in land and eventually became wealthy.

ODELL, Robert (216)

Came to P. from some portion of New England about 1825, possibly in 1823. He settled on a pt. of lot 8, T. 5. He was a potter by trade and worked at that calling on the bank of the lake a short distance west of the mouth of the Little Canadaway creek. The remains of the old pottery are still to be seen. About 1833 he went to Ohio. He was a bachelor.

ONTHANK, Lovel (218)

Was the son of William and Mitty Newton Onthank, and was b. in Worcester County, Mass., June 15, 1792. He m. Almira Parker in Westfield, this county, June 12, 1824. Mrs. O. was b. in Litchfield, Conn., April 17, 1798. They removed to P. the next spring and settled on pt of lot 60, T. 4. He occupied a log house until 1832 when he built a frame house, which is still standing and occupied by D. Dibble. Mr. O. came to this county in 1817 from Mass., walking the distance in thirteen days. The crossroads was then but a point in the wilderness. He helped to clear the ground where now stands the house of the late James McClurg in Westfield. He was a farmer and a stonemason. He was in the services in the war of 1812 at Boston, Mass. He was not a professor of religion, but exemplary in all the relations of life; politically a whig and afterward a republican. He d. in P. Mar. 23, 1860. Mrs. O. d. Feb 25, 1854. They were bu. in Evergreen cemetery.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Onthank

    1. WILLIAM D.: b. Jan 10, 1826, in P.; m. Rosana Brown, dau. of Samuel Brown, May 18, 1851; now lives in P.
    2. GEORGE H.: b. in P. Sept. 15, 1829; m. Bell Woods in Sept. 1851; settled in P. but now lives in Iowa.
    3. MERAB A.: b. in P. Aug 22, 1832; m. Chandler Colt in May 1851; now lives in P.
    4. HARRIET: b. in P. April 9, 1836; m. Joel Russell in Nov. 1854; d. Feb 24, 1858; bu. in Evergreen cemetery.
    5. CHARLES W.; b. in P. Aug. 29, 1839; m. Helen McDonald of Illinois, in 1866; lives at Rockford, in that state.

ORTON, Thomas (247)

Son of Judge Philo Orton of Pomfret, m. Hannah Potter, dau. of Jeremiah Potter, Feb. 4, 1827. After living in Pomfret two years they removed to P. and occupied the farm since known as the Blood farm, pt of lot 26, T. 5, living in a log house where the house now on the farm is standing. He mysteriously left his family and the town in 1831 and never returned. He is supposed to be dead. Mrs. O. afterward-m. Wm. Ensign of Sheridan, this county. She is still living.

OWEN, Ethan A. (77)

Came from Coos County, N. H. to P. in 1815 and bought a claim to pt of lot 54, T. 4. His article bears date Oct. 21, 1815. His wife was Anna French. Mr. O. established the first distillery in town, on lot 53, T. 4. A few years later he sold and removed to Ohio, and afterward to Wisconsin where he d. Politically he was a democrat.

OWEN, Frederick (156)

It is not known from whence Mr. O. emigrated to P. or in what year. He purchased a claim to E. pt. of lot 22 T. 5. [ see No. 155] He left P. about 1830 and settled near Beloit, Wisconsin. Nothing further was known of him until 1857 when he was found to be the "ministering spirit" that watched over and cared for the family of Walter Mumford (a former citizen of this town and an early settler) in their afflictions and necessities after the death of Mr., M, in Wisconsin.

PALMER, Abel (61)

Was a young man and came to Portland from Vt. in the Spring of 1815; and Apr. 22, located S.W. pt of lot 4, T 5, farm now owned by A.R. Thompson. He died of consumption the same year. He was a nephew of Mrs. Ahira Hall. Mr. Hall at this time occupied a log home on the same piece of land.

PALMER, NATHANIEL (188)

Came to P. from the eastern part of this state in 1824. He lived in a log house where now stands the house of the late T. Judson, on lot 26, T. 4. Some years later he removed to Pa.

PARKER, James (9)

Was a son of Dr. ----- Parker, and was b. in the town of Southbury, Mass., in 1782. He m. Charlotte, a sister of David Eaton, in 1807. Mrs. P. was b. in Southbury, Aug. 5th 1786. They came to P. in the fall of the year in which they were m. in company with Elisha Fay and wife. Mr. P was a tanner, and established the first tannery in town of p. [see Tanneries} He lived in P. but one year, removing to the cross roads and engaging in business there. He removed to Carroll in 1821, where he d. in 1838; Mrs. P .d. there in 1843.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Parker

    1. ANNA MARIA: was b. in P. July 27th 1808; m. Josiah Wheeler of Frewsburgh, Sept. 22d 1831; d. Aug. 17th 1846.
    2. LOUISA: b. June 16th 1814 at Westfield; m. Geo. Bartlett, Sept. 23d 1835; d. May 30th 1838.
    3. JAMES Jun.: b. at Westfield, Dec. 17th 1818; m. Sabra A. Howard, Sept 28th, 1838; d. in Carroll, Sept 21st 1863. The prominence to which he attained makes it but just that farther note should be made of him. He was a man of warm and generous impulses; active and vigorous in all his conceptions, and fearless in vindicating what his judgment approved. In 1849 he was elected a justice of the peace in the town of Carroll, which office he held until his death. He was twice elected supervisor of his town, and the second year was chairman of the board. In 1859 he was appointed a commissioner with Ward Hunt, of Utica and Isaac Dayton of NY city, to settle some claims against the state, and discharged the trust with honor. In 1860 he was presidential elector for this district; and in 1862 was appointed assistant clerk of the U. S. House of Representatives, which place he held at the time of his death. In 1855 he became editor of the Chautauqua Democrat, and was its principal editor at the time of his death. But he was cut down in early manhood in the midst of his usefulness.

PATCH, Reuben B. (225)

Was b. in the town of Hawley, Franklin County, Mass., Jan. 8, 1783. He m. Permelia, dau. of Jediah and Rachael Thayer, in Mass. Mrs. P. was b. in Mass. Nov 17, 1787. They removed to Westfield, this county, in March 1814, and settled on pt of lot 31, T. 4, R. 14, land now owned by heirs of Luther Twing. In 1826 he removed to the east part of P. and settled on pt of lot 4, T. 5, purchasing of Ahira Hall. Mr. P. was a farmer; liberal in his religious views, and politically a democrat. He d. Jan. 13, 1853; Mrs. P. d. Sept. 8, 1868. They were bu. in Evergreen cemetery.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Patch

    1. PERMELIA E.: b. Sept. 28, 1815; d. May 18, 1853
    2. REUBEN B. Jr.: b. Sept. 5, 1817; living, but not m.
    3. HENRY: b. Dec 1819; m. Mrs. Helen E. Wilbur Aug 16, 1863; now lives upon the Samuel Brown farm , N. W. pt of lot 12, T. 5.
    4. RHODA G.: b. May 27, 1822; m. James Crandall Oct. 18, 1853; d. in Brocton in May 1859; bu. Evergreen cemetery,

The marriage certificate of Mr. and Mrs. P., now in the possession of the writer, is unique in character and a pattern of brevity, as follows: " Personally Appeared Before me Reuben Blood Patch and Permelia thare and I Married them.

6th feby, 1812 Jonathan J. Sweet, Justice Peace.

PEASE, Solomon and Asa (250)

Came to P. as early as 1830 and settled at Portland Center. They were wagon makers and manufacturers of most kinds of bent woodenware. Their shop stood where the house of Mrs. Peck now stands, opposite the wine house of R. D. Fuller. They went west in 1834 or 35.

PECK, Asahel (244)

Son of Joseph and Mary Castle Peck, was born in Newtown, Fairfield, County, Conn., May 27, 1789. His father d. in 1796, and his mother with a family of nine ch. removed to New Durham, Greene County, N. Y., in 1802, and afterward to Chenango, as it was then called, in the same county. Previous to 1812 his mother and several of the family d. Early in March of that year (1812); Mr. P. came to Canadaway, in this county, and for a year worked for Judge Zattu Cushing, and the next season for a Mr. Cass of Westfield, then the cross-roads. To show the facility with which buildings were put up in those days, Mr. P. stated that Mr. Cass on a certain day raised a blacksmith shop before breakfast, a house before dinner and a barn before supper. "In those days provisions were scarce, they could not be had for love or money. During the summer of 1815 I worked on a mill at Dexterville, this county. There were thirteen in the family where I boarded, and we had little to eat for three months but Johnny-cake and milk, (occasionally having a fish for change, however) and for tea had hemlock leaves." In Feb. 1816, he m. Celestia Tincomb, dau. of Samuel and Mary Williams Tincomb, at Mayville, this county. Mrs. P. was b. in Saratoga County6 in 1798. In April they removed to Ripley, this county, where they lived thirteen years. In 1828 he removed to P. and bought of Horace Clough the N. pt of lot 29, T. 5, which he occupied until the fall of 1868 when he sold to John Clark and removed to P. Center, where his widow still resides. Mr. P. d. Oct. 4, 1872. He was republican in his sentiment but refused to vote for many years previous to his d. He was in the war of 1812 from Mayville, this county, and was among the panic stricken heroes who fled after the battle of Black Rock and Buffalo, and who in part came together again at Cattaraugus creek. Reports were rife that that the Indians, let loose by their British allies, were sweeping over the country like the "northern hordes" killing and scalping the inhabitants and destroying whatever came in their way. "After staying there some time the colonel selected six men from the regiment, one of whom was myself, called us a part and gave us our charge. He told us to look out well for Indians lying in wait for us on either side of the road, but go to Buffalo, take a survey of the situation and bring back a faithful account, saying at the same time, You are in great danger. We went to Buffalo

And found everything in ashes but one blacksmith shop and old mother St. Johns house. No British or Indians were in sight. When we returned our frightened fellow countrymen in arms were immediately relieved, and we were soon discharged." Mr. P. was a man remarkable for the strength of his religious sympathies. He became the subject of renewing grace in the year 1819, after as he said, repeated calls by god through a series of years. "My first religious impressions were at a meeting near the foot of the Catskill mountains when I was but fifteen or sixteen years old, but although God repeatedly called me by His providence in the form of disease, the loss of my mother and several members of the family, and by hair breadth escapes, I never came to the final surrender of my whole heart to Him until the year above stated." Mr. P. soon united with the M. E. church and at once began a course of usefulness as a Christian man. He was for many years a class leader and extorter. And in July, 1843, was licensed as a preacher at the conference sitting that year at Fredonia, this county. Hundreds now living well remember the camp meetings of Father Peck on Ripley Hill, and many no doubt will date their religious experience from some of those meetings. Mr. P. was of the opinion that Gods dealings with him were peculiar, and he traced the finger of Providence in many a turning point in his life. A month before his death he said to the writer, "My work is done. I am waiting upon the banks of the river, whose waters are not dark or turbid but clear as crystal, until God shall call me."

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Peck

    1. SOPHRONIA: b. in Ripley in 1717; m. Lincoln Fay in 1836; settled in P.
    2. JOHN: b. in Ripley in 1819; m. Lena Crough in 1843; settled in Ind.
    3. MARY: b. in Ripley in 1824; m. Robert J. Peag in 1851; settled in P.
    4. CELESTIA: b. in P. in 1833; m. Charles Colburn in 1862; settled in P.
    5. ASAHEL A.: b. in P. in 1835; m. Ann Crouch in 1855; lives in P. Center.
    6. FRANCES V.: b. in P. in 1840; m/ W/ H/ Rolf in 1864; now living at P. Center

They were all m. on the homestead and in the same room.

PERKINS, Orris (92)

Came from Vt. to P. in 1817. He m. Amelia Palmer, sister to Mrs. Zimri Hill. He bought the farm now owned and occupied by B. F. Pecor, pt. of lot 32, T. 5, in 1824, where he lived in a log house on the west side of the road until 1831 when he sold to Mr. Pecor. Mr. Perkins and family removed to Crawford county, PA., in 1832, and after a few years to some of the western states. Mr. P. d. in the west, and Mrs. P returned to P. where she d. For some years Mr. P. owned the sawmill near the mouth of Dunhams reek. [See Mills]

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Perkins

    1. PALMER
    2. ELIZA:
    3. HIRAM
    4. LAURA
    5. MARIA

PERRY, Rufus (14)

Came to P., from Pennsylvania in 1808 or 1809, and settled on a farm known as the Bowdish Farm, N.W. pt. lot 33, T. 5, buying a claim of Nathan Crosby. His article is dated June 22d 1809. He lived upon this claim until 1821, when he sold to Wm. Burnham, and removed to Ohio in 1822.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Perry

The childrens names as far as known were:

    1. MARILLA:
    2. RUTH:
    3. NEWTON:
    4. PAULINA:
    5. ELIAKIM:
    6. SETH:
    7. DAVID:
    8. ELIZA:
    9. JAMES:

PETERS, Joseph P. (214)

Was the son of Col. John and Lydia French Peters, and was b. in Hebron, Conn., Nov. 7, 1761. His ancestors were from England. He served two years in the Continental army, enlisting in 1777. He was the fourth of a family of fifteen ch. His eldest bro. was a judge of some of the English colonial courts. The rest of the family were in the interest of the colonists. Mr. P. studied medicine and practiced for many years in Conn., Mass., Vt. and N. Y. He m. Azuba Case in Vt. in 1784; Mrs. P. d. in 1794. He m. for a second wife Lydia Day, dau. of Noah and Ann Day, April 8 , 1794. Mrs. P. was b. in Colchester, Conn., Nov 15, 1777. In 1819 they removed to Hawley, N. Y. , and from there to P. in 1825, and settled on N. pt of lot 18, T. 5, buying a claim of Wm. Harris. They occupied a log house standing near the track of the B.C.& P. R.R>, west of the house of Franklin Griswold. Dr. and Mrs. P. were Baptists. Dr. P. d. Sept. 21, 1843. Mrs. P. d. May 4, 1858. They were bu. in Brocton cemetery.

Family of Dr. and Mrs. Peters

    1. A son by his 1st m., who d. in 1801.

By the 2d m.

    1. AZUBA: b. in Hoosick, N. Y., Jan. 20, 1795; d. in Vt. in Oct. 1796.
    2. JOSEPH: b. in Vt. July 31, 1796; d. in Mendon, N.Y., Aug. 27, 1812.
    3. DAVID: b. in Cazenovia, N. Y., Nov. 23, 1800; m. Matilda Lucius March 21, 1823.
    4. LYDIA: b. in Cazenovia, N. Y., Feb. 17, 1803; m. J.H. Hulburt of P., March 21, 1824; settled in P. and still living there.
    5. JOHN: b. in Mendon, N.Y., June 2, 1805; was drowned in Niagara river July 25, 1828.
    6. ELIZA: b. in Mendon, N.Y>, Dec. 11, 1808; m. John Chamberlain, Nov. 27, 1830 in P.; now living in P.

PIERCE, Aaron (96)

Came to P. from Southbury, Mass. In 1816 or 17, and settled on pt. of lot 34, T. 5, farm now owned by J. McFadden. In 1820 he sold his claim and went west.

POMEROY, Plynn (197)

Came to P. about 1824 and for some years lived on pt. of lot 13, T. 5, a few rods east of the former residence of Bela Burroughs on the south road. He was a cigar maker. He m. Irene, dau of Roe Goldsmith, and removed to Conneaut, Ohio with the family of Mr. G.

POMEROY, Silas (234)

Dr. Pomeroy came to P. in 1828 and settled on S. part of lot 40, T. 5, adjoining the farm owned by the heirs of M. P. Vanleuven. He built the house now occupied by the family of Mr. Vanleuven. He was a Methodist preacher and botanic doctor. Some years later he removed to Michigan.

POTTER, Jeremiah (28)

Capt. Potter was the son of Jeremiah and Sarah Mathewson Potter, and was b. in R. Island, Apr. 17th, 1765. He m. Polly Barnes in Herkimer County, N. Y., Nov. 19th, 1799. Mrs. P. was b. in Mass., May 16th 1777. They came to P. from Herkimer in the fall of 1810. He purchased of Rufus Perry a claim to pt. of lot 33, T. 5, his article bearing date Sept. 3 that year. He occupied a log house on a little elevation S. of the residence of J. Burbans. Early in 1812 he built the first frame house built in P. on or near the spot where the house of M. J. Munson now stands, but d. Aug 12th the same year. He was bu. in Evergreen Cemetery; the second man bu. there. Mrs. P. d. in Mayville, this county, Nov. 5th1815.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Potter

    1. HANNAH: b. Aug. 10th 1800; m. Thomas Orton, Feb. 4th 1827. Mr. O. d. in Nov. 1831. Mrs. O. m. Wm. Ensign of Sheridan; now lives there.
    2. JOHN: b. Jan. 14th 1802; m. Delilah Crosby, dau. of Luther Crosby in 1823; d. in Ill. Apr. 1867; Mrs. P. d. in P. in 1873.
    3. LEWIS: b. July 17th 1804; m. Arvilla Gilbert in P. Jan. 1832; lives in Ill.
    4. JEREMIAH: b. May 8th 1807; m. Catharine Foote in Niagara County in 1838.
    5. ANGELINE: b. June 23rd, 1809; m. Luther Clark, Jan 29th 1829; settled on lot 29, T. 5; now lives in Wisconsin.
    6. MARY ANN: b. in P. Sept 28th 1811; m. Frederick Goodrich in Sheridan, this county. Mr. G. d. in Wisconsin and was bu. in Ripley this county.

Mr. P. was not a religionist; politically he was a Whig.

NOTES: In Gleanings by Virginia Washburn Barden page 57 is the following:

Potter, Jeremiah Jr. died 1812

Widow Polly Potter married John Hewitt 1814; she died Nov. 1815; her children living in 1818 were: Hannah born August 1800, John born January 1802, Lewis born July 1804. Jeremiah born May 1807, Angelina born June 1809, Mary Ann born September 1811; In estate inventory: one Masonic jewel, apron and sash, 121/2 cents; estate valued at $1629.30. Misc. Rec. liber "0" p. 82 ff; Rufus Perry witness, Each childs maintenance $1.50 per week after Pollys death until child became 14, then fathers estate no longer liable. Dates and amount for each child listed. Source: MV

Hannah (#1) m. Thomas Orton on date given above m. in Portland by T. B. Campbell Esq. From Fredonia Censor dated 2/7/27. Hannah m. 2d Wm. Ensign on 6 Apr. 1842. Hannah died on 31 July 1886 in Sheridan at the home of her son Otis Ensign aged 86. Fredonia Censor dated 4 Aug. 1886. Otis was actually her stepson. Her son by Wm. Ensign was William C. Ensign born circa 1845 as shown on the 1865 census. Wm Ensign died 1854.

Lewis (#3) m. Mrs. Orilla Gilbert on 1 Jan 1834 in Portland by Rev. Charles LaHatt from Fredonia Censor dated Jan 22, 1834. This is in conflict with above which gives 1832.

Samantha Gilbert Potter died in Portland on 21 Sept. 1846, eldest dau. of Lewis Potter FC 13 Oct. 1846 and from the Fredonia Advertiser dated 2 Jan 1863 Wm. Harvey Potter died 1 Nov. 1862 in hospital at Suffolk, Va. Of typhoid fever, youngest son of Lewis and Orilla Potter of Portland age 18yr 8m 12d.

Angeline (# 5) m. Luther Clark on date as stated above in Mayville, by Rev. Jairus Handy- the bride resided in Mayville, the groom in Sheridan. Fredonia Censor - 2/4/29

POWELL, Lorenzo (215)

Was the son of Charles and Rhoda Wilbur Powell, and b. in Dutchess County, N.Y., Feb. 17, 1805. He came to Portland from Ulster County in 1825. In 1829 he went to Keene. N. H. returning to P. in 1835. He md. Ethlinda Richardson in Keene Nov. 2, 1833. When first in P. he purchased a claim of Frederick Bail the farm now owned by Dea. Henry Reynolds , N.E. part of lot 36, T. 5, upon which he settled in 1835. In 1837 he built the house now owned and occupied by Dea. Reynolds. In 1865 he sold to William Hasbrouck, who sold to Reynolds. Mr. P. now lives at Portland Center. He md for a second wife, Mrs. Lydia Rositer. Mr. P. was formerly a whig in politics, but in later years a democrat. For many years he was a member of the M.E. church but is not now a member of any religious denomination.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Powell

    1. HOMER: b. Oct 2, 1834; m. Laura Fish; now lives in Corry, Pa.
    2. WALLACE: b. July 10, 1836; m. 1st Mary Hank; 2d Kate Kidwalder.
    3. MARY JANE: b. Jan 18, 1838; d. in 1844.
    4. OWEN W.: b. April 29, 1840; m. Mary Jane Millet; lives at Portland Center.
    5. CHARLES: b. March 31, 1842; m. Alice Alexander.
    6. MAURICE: b. April 2, 1844; m. Kate Harper; lives at Meadville, Pa.
    7. SARAH JANE: b. Dec. 24, 1846; m. Ed Richardson; lives in Kansas.

PRATT, James (161)

Came to P. from the eastern part of this state and bought a claim to pt. of lot 23, T. 5, in Nov. 1820, farm now occupied by Seth Every and previously by Jacob Bump. He sold to Wm. Thayer and removed to Michigan in 1867.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Pratt

    1. LAFAYETTE: m. Mabel Williams; lives in Michigan.
    2. GEORGE W.: m. Charlotte Turk; lives in Michigan.
    3. SARAH: m. 1st, Charles H. Williams, who d. in the U.S. service in the war of 1861; 2d, William Thistlewood.
    4. MARY: m. Wm. Tanningly; lives in Michigan.
    5. WALKER: m. ----- : also lives in Michigan.

PRICE, Charles (226)

Was the son of Stephen and Elizabeth Hall Price, and was b. in Morristown, N.J., April 20, 1786. He m. Mary Neff in Homer, Cortland County, this state, July 30, 1809; Mrs. P. was b. in Amsterdam, N.Y., Oct. 18, 1792. They removed to Hinsdale, Cattaraugus Co. in May 1817, and from there to P. in 1827. He lived at first on a farm of Wilson Andrews, on lot 55, T. 4 but in 1827removed to the farm of John Price, occupying a log house standing where the house of Mrs. Roosa now stands, on pt of lot 38, T. 5. In 1828 he removed to the town of Chautauqua, and to Jamestown in June 1852, where he d. Nov. 20, 1868. Mrs. P. is still living. Mr. P. was a carpenter by trade, and a Baptist in religious sentiment.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Peters

    1. EUNICE: b. Nov. 24, 1811
    2. ADDISON A.: b. June 26, 1814.
    3. WILSON A.: b. Sept 24, 1816.
    4. MARIA: b. Dec. 4, 1818.
    5. CHARLES H.: b. Nov. 7, 1820.
    6. CLARISSA B.: b. April 11, 1823.
    7. &
    8. EVALYN and CAROLINE, twins: b. June 16, 1825.
    9. ORLANDO L.: b. Sept. 7, 1827.
    10. SILAS C.: b. July 7, 1830
    11. CHESTER B.: b. Nov. 33, 1832
    12. ADAM N.: b. March 14, 1835.

PRICE, John (7)

Was originally from New England, and settled firstly at Colts Station, Erie county, Pa. He came from there to P. in 1806 and settled on part of lot 38, T. 5, land now owned by Edward McGarrell. He built his log shanty on the S. E. part, in which he lived until 1815, when he built a log house on the ground now occupied by the house of Mr. McGarrell. In 1828 he exchanged farms with Norman Kibbie of Westfield, taking a farm on the west side of Chautauqua Lake, where he d. a few years later. Mr. and Mrs. P. were members of the Baptist church, Brocton, uniting in Feb. 1820. Mrs. P. removed to Iowa with a m. dau.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Price But a part of the family is remembered as follows:

HARVEY:

ERASTUS:

JOHN:

OLIVE:

HIRAM:

(6) CYRUS:

(7) POLLY:

(8) LUCRETIA

(9) JANE

Little is remembered of them.

NOTES: one Cyrus E. Price married at Westfield 13 Sept 1843 to Rhoda Dibble.

A Polly Price married Israel Light 11 Dec 1821 at Portland by Rev. P. Crosby.

A Eunice Price m. in Chautauqua 15 Oct 1845 to Abel Kimberly.

PRIME, Jewett (102)

Was b. in Keene, N. H., Dec. 4, 1796. He was a nephew of Nathan Prime, the "head of the then eminent banking house of Prime, Ward & King, of New York." He was a printer by trade, and for some time was in the employ of Farnsworth & Spafford, book publishers at Windsor, Vt. He m. Fanny Smith of Hartford, Conn., a pupil in the school of Mrs. Emma Willard at Windsor, June 15, 1817, much against the wishes of his friends. Too independent in spirit to ask favors of his friends, he made his way west, intending to reach Cincinnati, Ohio, but while visiting for a few days with Mr. Spafford, who had removed to P., he was induced to purchase a tract of land, N. W. pt of lot 16, T. 5, now owned in part by Linus Burton, and make for himself a home in the wildness. A log hut some twelve feet square was put up and in due time Mr. and Mrs. Prime, both of them constitutionally frail and used only to refinements of life, were "keeping house" and enjoying all the sweets and whatever of romance there might be of "love in a cottage" in the midst of a dense wilderness. This was in 1818. Mr. P. struggled on manfully for two or three years, when he ws sought out by Hon. H. C. Frisbee, of the Fredonia Censor, and induced for a time at least to return to "types and the press." He worked for Mr. F. for several months and instead of returning to his "homestead" he sold his claim and removed to Buffalo and worked in the printing office of H. A. Salsbury. In the fall of 1826 he removed to Cleveland and purchased the Cleveland Herald, which he published until his death, Jan 11, 1828. Mrs. P. d. there June 20, 1832. Mr. and Mrs. P. united with the Baptist church of P. Aug 19, 1820. Mr. P. was a man more than commonly intelligent and one of the most genial of companions. He used to recall the scenes of his early life and adventures in the wilds of P. with a great deal of animation, and laugh over the whole as if it were all a pleasing dream. Mrs. P. never liked and seldom referred to them.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Prime

    1. FANNY A.: b. Feb. 19, 1819; m. Dr. C. G. Gillet at buffalo, Nov 6, 1836; d. July 15, 1837.
    2. EMALINE A.: b. in P. April 22, 1821; came to Westfield, this county, from Cleveland in July, 18343, and lived with Asa Farnsworth; m. Henry C. Smith June 14, 1838. Mr. Smith d. at Auburn, N. Y., Aug 12, 1850; Mrs. S. is now living at Smiths Mills, in this county.
    3. OLIVE A.: b. in Buffalo, N. Y., Jan 6, 1825; d. Aug. 18, 1826.

PULLMAN, Lewis, (255)

Was the son of Salter and Elizabeth Lewis Pullman, and was b. in Rhode Island July 26, 1800. He m. Emily C. Minton at Auburn, N. Y., Sept 4 1825. Mrs. P. was b. in Auburn Aug. 14, 1808. They moved from there to P. in Jan. 1830 and in 1831 bought pt of lot 21, T. 5, farm commonly known as the Budlong farm, now owned by Linus Burton, T. L. Harris and others. Upon this he built a small frame house which is still standing on the premises. He was a carpenter by trade, and a man of some inventive ingenuity. In or about 1835 he invented a machine for moving buildings upon wheels which proved eminently practical and is the one now in general use. Soon after he obtained letters patent for the principle. In 1845 he removed with his family to Albion, this state, where he d. Nov. 7, 1853. Mrs. P. is still living in Chicago, Ill. One of the best evidences of industry and perseverance on the part of Mr. P. is to be seen in the fact of his success in raising and educating a large family of sons and daughters.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Pullman

    1. ROYAL HENRY: b. June 30, 1826, in Auburn; m. Harriet J. Barmore April 8, 1845. He was ordained a minister of the Universalist denomination, in 1858, and is now (1871) settled over one of the largest and most wealthy parishes in Peoria, Ill.
    2. ALBERT B.: b. in Auburn Oct 14,1828; m. Emily A. Bennett in Albion May 29, 1848; now general superintendent of the "Pullman Palace Car Company," offices at Chicago, Ill.
    3. GEORGE M.: b. in P. March3, 1831; m. Hattie A. Sanger June 16, 1867 in Chicago. He was the originator of the famous "Pullman Palace Cars" and is president of the "Pullman Palace Car Company" at Chicago.
    4. FRANCES: b. July 2, 1833, in P.; d. Oct. 16, 1834; bu. at Brocton.
    5. JAMES M.: b. in P. Aug. 21, 1835; m. Jennie S. Tracy at Fulton, N.Y., in Jan. 1866; was ordained a minister of the Universalist order at Troy, N. Y.; is now pastor of the sixth Universalist church in N. Y. city.
    6. CHARLES L.: b. in P. April 24, 1841; m. Clara J. Slossen in 1861; was three years in the army, war of 1861; now lives near Paolo, Kansas.
    7. HELEN A.: b. in P. May 11, 1843; educated at Clinton, N.Y., Female Seminary; now lives in Chicago, Ill.
    8. Emily C.: b. in Albion Sept. 25, 1846; also educated at Clinton; now lives in Chicago.
    9. FRANK W.: b. May 11, 1849, in Albion; now teller in the Third National bank at Chicago.

PULLMAN, Nathaniel (246)

Came to P. from Auburn, N.Y., about 1829 and for several years lived on the S. pt. of lot 13, T. 5, farm now owned by Linus Burton . His house stood east of the house now on the farm, and in the lot some distance north of the road. He was a bro. of Lewis Pullman, and was a joiner by trade. He afterward removed to Westfield, in this county, and some years later to Michigan.

QUIGLEY, John (36)

Was the son of Robert and Nellie Q., and was b. in Queens Co., Ireland, Oct. 19, 1767. Hem. Sarah E. Ahl at Schenectady. N. Y. Mrs. Q. was b. in Vermont March 10, 1779. They emigrated to P. from Schoharie County in 1811 and settled on pt of lot 30, T. 5, farm now owned by Mrs. ----- Mericle.

He lived in a small frame house on the south road, south of the house now on the farm. In 1829 he built the stone house now on the premises. The first stake and cap fence made in town was made on this farm in 1836 by Jason Webster. In 1835 he sold to Samuel Townsend and after a few years removed to Arkwright, in this county, and from there to McKean, Erie county, Pa., where he d. April 13, 1863. Mrs. Q. d. in Arkwright Dec. 20, 1839. Mr. Quigley was a Roman Catholic; politically a Democrat.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Quigley

    1. ELEANOR: b. Jan 25, 1799; d. July 27, 1857.
    2. ELIZABETH: b. Sept. 17, 1800; m. David Hurd; d. May 23d 1869.
    3. FANNY: b. June 11th 1802[ m. Stephen Palmer; d. Oct. 18th 1841.
    4. ROBERT: b. July11th 1804; m. Obedience Everts; d. Oct. 16tj 1834.
    5. POLLY: b. Aug. 19th 1806; d. April 12th 1824.
    6. JOHN: b. Aug. 19th 1808; m. Amanda Brainard; still living..
    7. NANCY: b. July5th 1810; d. July 19th 1811.
    8. MARTIN: b. Jan 7th 1811; m. Lucy Barnes; still living.
    9. JAMES: b. Dec. 1813; m. 1st Lovina Brainard; 2d Clarissa Harris; d. in P. May 30th 1852.
    10. NANCY: b. Aug 11th 1814; m. Rev. Albina Hall of M. E. church; still living..
    11. (11 HENRY: b. Mar. 5th 1815.

    12. HARRIET: b. Mar. 7th 1819; m. Justus Beebe; still living
    13. THOMAS: b. Apr. 14th 1822; d. Sept. 18th 1826.

QUIGLEY, Martin (100)

Mr. Quigley was b. in Queens County, Ireland, Nov 29, 1757, and immigrated to America early in life. He m. Mary Harrie in Schoharie County, N. Y., from whence they removed to P. in 1817 and settled on pt of lot 48 T 4, farm now owned by Abram Woleben. Mrs. Q. was b. in Germany Jan 12, 1779. His log house stood where the house now stands on the farm. He d. here June 4, 1852, at the age of 95 years. Mrs. Q. d. Jan 12, 1842, aged 63. They were bu. in Evergreen cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. Q. were Catholics. In politics Mr. Q. was a democrat.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Quigley

    1. THOMAS: b. Nov 28, 1803; m. 1st Anatharis Southworth; 2d Emma Matthewson June 24, 1858; lives on pt of lot 30, T. 5 in W pt of Centerville.
    2. JOHN: b. in 1805; d. in infancy.
    3. CATHARINE: b. April 3, 1806; m. John Ward; settled in Canada.
    4. MICHAEL: b. in 1807; with another young man was carried over Niagara Falls March 15, 1824.
    5. LYSANDER: b. March 9, 1809; m. Jane Harris; settled in Canada.
    6. MARTIN: b. Feb 7, 1810; d. in infancy.
    7. ROSENA: b. May 3, 1812; m. Joseph Johnson; settled in Canada.
    8. ELIZABETH: b. Oct. 29, 1815; m. Martin P. Vanleuven; settled in P.
    9. MARTIN: b. Feb 7, 1817; d. Dec. 12, 1834, in P.
    10. JANE: b. in 1819; d. young
    11. ROBERT b. 1819; d. young
    12. GEORGE: b. may 3, 1821; m. Polly Moss; settled in Canada.
    13. FANNY E: b. Dec 19, 1823; d. Nov 29, 1844.

RAY, James (240)

Lived in P. but two or three years, and for one year (1827) kept a tavern on the McKenzie place. He removed to Westfield in 1828 and for several years kept a public house there. Some years later he removed to Ashtabula, Ohio and d. soon after.

REEDER, Nathaniel (158)

Came to P. in 1820 and purchased a claim of Calvin Barnes jr., to pt of lot 33, T. 5, farm now owned by Mrs. Bush. In 1831 or 32 he sold to Ithamer Crouch and moved to town of Chautauqua. Mrs. R. is a sister of Wolcott Colt. He was a Methodist preacher. [see M. E. Church] James Reeder, a bro. lived on the same farm.

RISLEY, Jared (213)

Came to P. about 1825 and lived in a house a few rods east of the schoolhouse in district No. 4. He purchased and kept the tavern standing on the ground where the house of W. W. Pettit now stands, on lot 19, T. 5, for one or two years. He afterward removed to Pomfret, near Laona, where he still lives.

RICE, Leister (106)

Came to P. from Otsego County, N. Y., about 1817. He settled on pt of lot 54, T. 4. He m. Betsey Minegar, and a few years later removed to some of the western states, where he d.

SAGE, Moses (56)

Was b. in Connecticut and emigrated in early life to Bennington, Vt.; m. Susanna Havelin of Quaker Hill, N. Y. and emigrated to Canadaway in July 1814 and to P. in 1815. He purchased of Hollis Fay a claim to N. W. part of lot 13, T. 5, including the east pt of the village of Brocton, and built his log house on the spot where stands the residence of this writer. The same fall he visited Pittsburg, Pa., in the employ of James McClurg of the crossroads, and d. there in the spring of 1816. Mrs. Sage d. Feb. 17, 1828.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Sage

    1. ISAAC: b. in Bennington, Vt.; m. Sally Childs and came to P. with his father in 1815. He settled on N. west pt. of lot 4, T. 5, farm now owned by H. S. Morrison. In 128 or29 e built a frame house, which burned in 1857. The house no on the farm was built in 1858 by D, G, Goodrich. In 1833 or 34 Mr. S. sold his farm to Gilbert Arnold and purchased the place now owned and occupied by T. S. Moss at Brocton, where he d. some years later. He was a farmer and an active and consistent member of the Baptist church in P. and one of the original members..
    2. JACOB: b. in Vt. and came to P. in 1815. He m. Eleanor Colvin in Vt. eventually settled in Pomfret, on S. W. pt of lot 40, T. 5, R. 12, on what is familiarly known as Webster Street, where he d. some years since.
    3. MOSES: b. in Vt. and came to P. in 1815, with his father. After the death of his father he occupied the farm for two years. In 1816 he built a sawmill on Slippery Rock creek, (See Mills) and the same year a frame barn on a plot of ground now owned by the writer and opposite his present residence. The barn is still standing near the M. E. church edifice. This was the first frame barn built on the north road and the second in town. Mr. S. m. Nancy Goldsmith, an aunt of Mrs. Joel Traverse, of Brocton. He sold his farm in 1819 to Walter Mumford and bought the farm now owned in part by J. N. Porter, pt of lots 13 and 14, T. 5. He built the house now on the farm nearly as now seen in which he kept a tavern until 1830. [See Taverns] He sold to Davies Post, in 1829 and removed to Fredonia in 1830, and engaged in mercantile pursuits in company with Noah D. Snow, in the building now occupied by L. B. Grant. Two or three years later he removed to Michigan, where he d. about 1861.
    4. HARRY: b. in Vt. Apr. 22d, 1798, and came to P. with his family in 1815. He located on S. W. pt. of lot 26, T. 5, familiarly known as the Blood Farm. He m. Julia Olin of Vt. in 1825 and in 1827 sold his land to Judge Philo Orton and returned to Vt. In 1836 he removed to Connecticut and in 1867 again coming to P. and purchasing the place now owned by T. S. Moss in Brocton.
    5. The dau. of Mr. Sage were as follows:

    6. SALLY: b. at Bennington, Vt.; m. 1st Thomas Keyes; 2d John R. Coney. [See No. 52}
    7. SUSANNA: b. in Vt.; m. Reuben Colvin; lived and d. there.
    8. POLLY: b. in Vt.; m. Giles Olin of Bennington, lived and d. there.
    9. PATTY: b. in Vt.; m. Jonas Safford; d. in Brocton Nov. 6th 1866.
    10. FANNY: b. in Vt.; m. Solomon Coney in P. in 1815; now living in Bennington, Vt.

SAFFORD, Jonas (79)

Was the son of Elisha, and was b. in Berkshire County, Mass., March 14, 1785. He m. Martha Sage. Dau. of Moses Sage, in Bennington, Vt., Dec 11, 1811. Mrs. S. was b. May 29, 1792. They removed to Fredonia and to P. in 1816, and settled on the N. E. pt of lot 41, T. 5, farm of H. A. Blowers. His log house stood on the site of the house of Mr. Blowers. He occupied this house twelve years, selling in 1828 and removed to Pomfret, afterward to Ellery, and again to P. and occupied the Coney Farm, eventually selling his farm in Ellery, and with Mrs. S. lived with Thomas Flanders in Pomfret where he d. Mrs. S. d. in Brocton Nov. 6, 1866, while living with Mr. Flanders. They were bu. in Brocton Cemetery. They were both members of the Baptist church at Salem X Roads. Politically Mr. S. was a republican.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Safford

    1. CAROLINE: b. in Vt. Oct 3, 1812; m. Thomas Flanders; settled in Ellery, this county; now lives in Erie County.
    2. JANE: b. Jan 18, 1815, in Pomfret; m. Orlando Brigham; settled first in Pomfret, afterward in Minnesota; where she d. in April 1869.
    3. JULIETTE: b. Jan 16, 1817; d. young.
    4. FRANK: b. Jan 9, 1818 in P.; m. Welthy Ann Hanchett; lives in Marengo, Ill.
    5. JOHN J.: b. Feb. 18, 1820, in P.; d. young.
    6. MARTHA: b. May 11, 1822 in P., m. Curtis Wilbur; now lives in Sheridan, this county.
    7. FREEMAN J.: b. Jan 14, 1825; m. Myra Kellogg in Iowa; now lives in Chicago, Ill.
    8. JONAS J.: b. Mar. 22, 1827 in P.; m. Maria Walkup in Ellery; lives in Minnesota.
    9. HENRY C.: b. Sept. 25, 1829, in Pomfret; m. Delia P. Risley, of that town; lives in Brooklyn, this state.
    10. NORMAN S.: b. Sept. 22, 1832; m. Sicilia Denton; settled at Marengo, Ill.; d. there in Dec. 1859.
    11. CHARLES: b. in P. Nov. 14, 1837; d. April 30, 1848.

NOTES: There are several obits and marriages published in the Fredonia censor.

SHATTUCK, Samuel (184)

Was the grandfather of Loren and Isaac Shattuck, formerly citizens of the town of P. He was b. in the town of Deerfield, Franklin County, Mass., Sept. 18, 1741. He m. Chloe Field, dau. of Aaron Filed, whose father, Ebenezer, was killed by the Indians in 1708. Mrs. S. d. Greenfield, Mass., April 10, 1781. Mr. S. was a soldier in the old French and Indian war when he was but a mere lad; was through the Revolutionary war, and participated in the battles of Bunker Hill, Bennington, Yorktown, and many others. He removed to P. in Nov., 1823, and lived with his son Seth until his d., Sept. 1, 1827. He was bu. in Evergreen cemetery.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Shattuck

    1. SAMUEL: b. Aug. 15, 1764; m. Prudence Healey.
    2. CHLOE: b. Nov. 22, 1766; m. Ephraim Leech.
    3. SIDNEY: b. Feb. 7, 1768; m. Ann Atherton.
    4. SETH: b. Jan 24, 1770; m. 1st, S. Chapin; 2d Anna Smith.
    5. LYDIA: b. Feb. 15, 1778; m. Arad Root.
    6. JESSE: b. Sept. 21, 1777; m. Mary E. Sargent.
    7. CHESTER: b. Dec. 17, 1780; m. Miriam Stoker,

All born in Greenfield, Mass.

As stated above, Mr. S. was in the French war of 1754, and two years earlier, although a youth, was in some capacity attached to the service at some point on the northern border of this state. In the Fredonia Censor of February 22, 1871, appeared a communication from the pen of Hon. E. T. Foote of New haven, Conn., formerly of this county, with reference to early military operations in the western portion of this county. Judge Foote says: " It has been generally conceded that a portage road from the head of Chautauqua to lake Erie had been opened before the settlement of this county, but by whom and when, it was opened has remained until recently an open question." This matter so long a mystery, through the untiring industry and restless research of Judge Foote, has been pretty definitely settled by the production from some old historical records of an affidavit of Stephen Coffin, an American from New England, taken before Sir William Johnson in January, 1754. Coffin, according to this affidavit, had been taken prisoner by the French and Indians in 1747, and after four years of wanderings was taken to Quebec, Canada. From here he made an effort to escape but was recaptured in 1752, and after lying in prison three months was induced to enlist in the French service, and was one of 300 men sent to Montreal and from there to Niagara, by land and on the ice, for the purpose of inaugurating an effort to establish a chain of forts between Canada and New Orleans. In April of 1753 they proceeded in boats from some point above Niagara Falls to Chadakoin, where they had been ordered to build a fort preparatory to building a portage road to lake Chadakoin (Chautauqua), where another fort was to be built. This route was for a time abandoned for one from Fort la Briske, now Erie, Pa. to the LaBoeuf river, 21 miles south; a return was ordered by the Governor of Canada to Chadakoin. In October a party of 200 men cut a wagon road from lake Erie at the mouth of Chadakoin creek, now Chautauqua creek, a t Barcelona, over the carrying place to lake Chadakoin, or Chautauqua lake. Coffin was of this party, and on the return to Niagara in Nov. deserted in company with a Frenchman to some point in the interior of New York. The portage road was not only cut through, but the steep banks along the streams were graded or to some extent broken down to allow of the passing of loaded wagons. Some remains of this road near Westfield are still to be seen. The English, ever suspicious and watchful of the movements of the French, sent out several scouting parties from some point on the south border of the state, probably Oswego, for the purpose of obtaining reliable information in regard to those efforts and taking measures to counteract them. Thus it will be seen that 120 years ago a systematic effort was made to establish a great military thoroughfare through our county, and a large portion of the way through the territory included in the old town of Portland. Two of the scouting parties at least passed through the present town of P., lay in ambush and watched the labors of the French from day to day until the information sought was obtained, when they returned. Mr. Shattuck, then a stripling occumpanied (sic) these parties on two separate occasions, and probably was one of the first whites setting foot in the present town, then of course an unbroken wilderness, little dreaming that in some of the years to come he would become a citizen of that same region and a dweller upon a pleasant farm wrought out of the same wilderness by the strong arms of a son and grandsons. Mr. S. often related the incidents of these expeditions, and there are those now living in town who well remember Mr. S. and vouch for his integrity. He remained in the service until 1755 when he returned to his native town.

Thus another proof is furnished, in addition to that furnished by Judge Foote, of the authors of the old portage road and of the time when it was made. The letter of Judge Foote, the deposition of Coffin and the facts furnished by Mr. Shattuck thus brought to light "are of great local interest and go far to show that our county, although then a deep solitude, far distant from the most advanced outposts of permanent settlements, was more often the scene of warlike demonstrations than it has since been; that in the early day martial sounds were often heard in the depths of its forests; fleets of boats filled with armed and veteran Frenchmen passed along our lakes and creeks; and that such gallant men as Beaujeu, who led the handful of Frenchmen at Braddocks defeat, St. Pierre, :a Force. And Joneaire, names that are now famous in history, were once familiar with these wild regions, and that the warpath of veritable savage warriors, armed with tomahawk and scalping-knife, led through these forests." Obed Edson. Mr. Shattuck was "through the Revolution." As at first stated, and for a portion of the time "belonged to the first regiment and first brigade of the Massachusetts line," and through participating in many a sanguinary conflict was "never grazed by a ball," though several passed through his clothes and hat.

SHATTUCK, Seth (185)

Was the son of Samuel and Chloe Field Shattuck, and b. in Greenfield, Mass., Jan 24, 1770. He m. 1st Miss S. Chapin; 2d Anna Smith, who was b. in N. H. It is inferred that his first wife lived but a short time. He came to P. from near Toronto, Canada, in July 1823. His article bears date Sept. 10, 1822, for pt of lot 10, T. 5, land now owned by J. W. Scott and H. Palmeter. To enable him to reach his purchase with teams, a roadway was cut through the forest from near the present residence of E. Denison sufficient for the purpose . Mr. S. had laid well his plans for a home for himself and his family in the coming years, but was not permitted to see the fulfillment of his hopes. He was killed by being thrown from a load of hay, July 15, 1828. His wife survived him but a few weeks, dying Aug. 23 the same year. They were bu. in Evergreen cemetery. Mr. S. was a Presbyterian, and in politics a whig.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Shattuck

    1. ANGELINA: b. in Sheldon, Vt.; m. Lewis Gilbert of same county; d. and was bu. there
    2. SYLVIA: b. in Sheldon, Vt.; m. Thomas Robinette of Toronto, Canada; d. and bu. there.
    3. PHYLINDA: b. Oct. 17,1803 in Vt.; m. Joseph Harring of Toronto; d. July 1, 1837; was bu. there.
    4. LOREN: b. Sept. 1, 1804, in Vt.; m. Sarah Jackson, dau. of Joshua Jackson, in P.; settled in P. but removed to Ripley where he d. Aug 2, 1863; bu. there.
    5. ISAAC: b. in Vt.; m. 1st Hannah Crosby in P., who was killed by being thrown from a wagon by her horse, which had become unmanageable, in the west part of the village of Centerville, April 24, 1843; 2d, Sarah Kaye, who d. Jan 27, 1884; 3d Mrs. Dolly Gardner. Mr. S. is now living near Painesville, Ohio.
    6. LUCY: b. in Vt.; m. Loren P. Carley of P.; now lives in Sheridan, this county.

SHAVER, Joseph (238)

Was the son of George and Charity Becker Shaver, and was b. in Greene County, N. Y., Sept. 16, 1790. (The family name was originally written Shaffer.) He m. Lucinda E. Mallory in Blenheim, Schoharie County, in 1814, and removed from the town of Hunter, in Greene County to Oil Creek, Pa., in 1826 and to P. in 1828. He settled on pt of lot 27 T. 5, buying a claim of Simon Burton. Upon this he lived until 1855 when he sold to T. L. Harris. He is still living, in Ripley, this county. Mrs. S. d. in Ripley March 28, 1871. Mr. S. is a Universalist; politically a democrat. NOTE:

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Shaver

    1. HARRIET E.: b. July 6, 1815, in Schoharie County; m. Ervin Crosby in P.; now lives at Middlebury, summit County, Ohio.
    2. AMY ANN: b. in Schoharie County in 1817; m. C. H. Lee; d. in Ohio in 1866.
    3. CHARLOTTE M.: b. in Chenango County in 1822; m. G. Clements in Ohio, and lives there.
    4. GEORGE: b. in Greene County, April 27, 1827; supposed to be still living a wanderer.
    5. JULIA ANN: b. in Oil Creek township, Pa., March 22, 1828; d. in P. July 31, 1848.
    6. JOSEPH H.: b. in P. April 16, 1834; m. Elizabeth Vangaasbeek in P.; lives in Ripley, this county.

SHUFF, Henry (78)

Came to P. from Coos County, N. H. in 1816. He was the son of Henry and Mary French Shuff, and was b. in Coos County, Aug. 17, 1788. He m. Polly Hulburt in P. April 6, 1820. Mrs. S. was b. Nov. 10, 1800. He settled on pt of lot 41, T. 5, buying a claim of John Druse. HE d. Jan. 9, 1821, and was bu. in W. & P. U. cemetery. Mrs. S. m. Samuel C. Munson, March 16, 11823. Mr. S. was a believer in the Christian faith; politically he was a democrat.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Shuff

(1) MARY F.: b. Feb. 22, 1821; m. Darwin Wilbur Feb 22, 1845; settled in McHenry county, Ill. in 1847.

SHUMWAY, Ebenezer (205)

Came to P. from some adjoining town in 1825 and purchased a small farm, commonly known as the Underhill lot, pt. of lot 21, T. 5, on which the station of the L.S. R. R. is located. Mrs. S. d. here two or three years later. Mr. S. sold to John Underhill in 1830 and removed to Pomfret. He now lives in Lena, Stephenson Co., Illinois.

SIMMONS, Zuriel (103)

Was b. in Conn. He m. Sally Hunt, who was also b. in that state. They settled in Washington County, N. Y., but some years later removed to Onondaga County. They came to P. from there in the fall of 1817 and settled on pt of lot 31, T. 4, now the south line of the town, land located by their sons Philander and Hiram earlier in the season. The task of reaching their purchase was a tedious one, as there was no road through the woods from the residence of Elisha Fay on lot 25, T. 5. The winter following was unusually severe and nearly all of their provisions were "backed" from Fredonia. Their one cow was kept mostly on browse; what hay they had was brought on the back for one and a half miles; no team could get through. In 1820 three log houses were built and the old shanty abandoned. In these they lived until 1830 when a frame house was built, which in part is now standing and is occupied by Joseph Farrar. Mr. S. d. upon this farm Jan 19, 1846. Mrs. S. d. here Sept. 4, 1850. The farm was sold in 1856 by Philander, the second son, who removed to Jamestown, this county. Mr. S. was a Baptist, and politically s democrat.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Simmons

    1. HIRAM:
    2. PHILANDER
    3. EBENEZER:
    4. ELVIRA
    5. SALLY:
    6. ZIBA: NOTE: he m. Sally Ann Porter on 4 Aug 1835 at Mayville by Eld. J. W. Sawyer from Fredonia Censor dated 4/19/1835.
    7. TRYPHENA
    8. CALISTA:

SIMPSON, Obadiah (121)

Came to P. from Canada in 1821 and bought a claim to pt of lot 54, T. 4 land now owned by Louisa Kessler. He occupied a log house at first but in a few years built a frame one, which a few years since was removed to Westfield. In 1832 or 33, he removed to Ohio, where he d. a few years later.

SKINNER, Albert (138)

Is a bro. of Chester, and came to P. with him when but a child and lived with him until he was 19 years of age with the exception of two or three years. He was b. in Norwich, Chenango County, Dec. 25, 1817. He m. Matilda Mills in P. Jan. 1, 1842. For 28 years he has occupied the same house on N. Div. St., Brocton, previously for two years occupying the farm on which is situated "Vine Cliff" the residence of T. L. Harris .

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Skinner

    1. HELEN MARR: b. April 29, 1844; m. Amariah C. Russ; lives near Mayville, this county.
    2. ALBERT L.: b. Jan. 16, 1846; m. Julia Evans in Chenango County; lives there.
    3. ALFRED: b. June 14, 1849; d. Jan 6, 1852;
    4. HARRIET M.: b. Aug 7, 1856.
    5. LESTER: b. April 8, 1869.

SKINNER, Alfred (136)

Was a bro. of Chester and David (Nos. 135 and 136)[and also Albert No.138] and was b. in Norwich, Chenango County, N. Y., March 26, 1800. He came to P. in 1819 and bought a claim to pt of lot 16, T. 5, with his bro. Cheater. Three years later he purchased the interest of his bro. but soon sold to Henry Spencer and bought the farm now owned by Luther Harmon in Pomfret, pt of lot 59, T. 5, R. 12. He lived on this farm until 1849. He m. Huldah White, dau of Benj. White, in May 1824. Mrs. S. was b. in Chester County, N. Y. July 27, 1803 [note: probably Westchester Co.] Mr. S. d. in Sherman, this county Jan. 20, 1872. [Note: Huldah Skinner d. in Brocton 06 July 1875 FC 14 July 1875}

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Skinner

    1. IANTHA: b. Mar 23, 1827; m. James Renne in 1847; d. in Fredonia Nov. 8, 1861.
    2. LYMAN W.: b. April 25, 1829; m. 1st Belinda Hadden, who d. Aug 27, 1868; 2d Helen Gibbs in Sherman, this county; lives in P.
    3. DELIA ANN: b. July 25, 1831; m. Addison Harris; lives in Sheridan.
    4. JAMES A. H.: b. March 26, 1834; m. Eliza S. Simmons; lives in Brocton.
    5. Benjamin F.: b. July 23, 1836; m. Sarah Guild; lives in Fredonia, N. Y.
    6. CATHARINE M.: b. Oct. 31, 1829; m. John Page; lives in Sherman.
    7. THEODORE W.: b. Feb 28, 2842; m. Jane McDoyle; lives in Sherman.
    8. JANETTE: b. Oct 6, 1844; not m.
    9. HULDAH E.: b. Feb 19, 1847; m. Amos C. Loomis; lives in the town of Chautauqua.

SKINNER, Chester (135)

Is a bro. of David (No. 135) and was b. in Norwich, Chenango County, N.Y., Jan 14, 1790. His ancestors were from Conn. He came to P. in March 1819, but returned the next winter and in Jan 1820, m. Betsey Goodrich, who was b. in Newbury, Mass., Dec 17, 1796. They removed to P. the next month and settled on pt of lot 16, T. 5, land now owned by his son Horace, near an orchard now standing and set by Mrs. S. in 1821. In 1823 they removed to their present residence at Brocton, purchasing pt of lot 19, T. 5, of Moses Joy. He lived three years in a shanty standing between the present house and barn, but in 1826 built the frame house now on the farm. The stories of privations and hardships given by Mr. and Mrs. A. are the same given by others and need not now be repeated. Such was the lot of all the early settlers and can hardly be appreciated by those now occupying the farms reclaimed by them from a state of nature to pleasant and in many cases elegant homes. Mr. and Mrs. S. are still living. NOTE: Betsey Skinner d. 2 Sept. 1878 in P., in 82nd yrPioneerat res. Of her dau, Mrs. ButlerBaptist funeral on 4th by Rev. J. H. Miller of Mayville b. Newberry, Mass. 27 Dec 1796. At age 6 removed with her parents to Norwich, Chenango Co., NY. She raised the orphaned children of her husbands father, Daniel Skinner. Resided mostly on a farm at Brocton till a few years ago. 6 children, including son Horace Skinner, all surviving. She had her aged parents brought to Brocton, where she tended them in their last years. Obit in Fredonia Censor dated 18 Sept. 1878 additional in the obit. Found no obit for Cheater Skinner. Three sisters of Chester came to P. and m. here: Ann Skinner m. Wm. Dunham [See No. 71 (2)]; Harriet Skinner m. Hiram Burton {See No. 67 (8)] and Mariah Skinner m. Thomas Ensign [See No. 186] another sister was adopted by a Johnson family and remained in Chenango Co.

This URL will take you to a data base on this Skinner family: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:1289196&id=I3565

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Skinner

    1. JANE: b. July 16, 1821; m. Josiah Hall; lives in Brocton.
    2. DANIEL: b. Oct. 3, 1823; m. 1st Laura Hadden; 2d Jane Burr; lives in P.
    3. HORACE: b. Mar 18, 1825; m. Harriet Moss; lives in P.
    4. JULIA ANN: b. Mar 15, 1828; m. J. B. Haywood; lives in Brocton.
    5. ANDREW J: b. July 3, 1830; m. Ellen Hiller; lives in Brocton.
    6. SARAH E.: b. Feb 10, 1836; m. Cornelius Maloney; lives in Brocton. Mr. M was killed by an accident on the B.C. & P. R. R. Dec. 24, 1872.

SKINNER, David (137)

Was the son of Daniel and Harriet Skinner [Actually Hannah Day SKINNER Skinner] and was born in Norwich, Chenango County, N. Y., Aug 12, 1803. He and his bro. Alfred came to P. in Oct. 1819. He purchased a pt of lot 16, T. 5, but soon sold and in 1824 bought a claim of Joel Smith, farm now owned by Franklin Griswold, M. pt of lot 18,T. 5. Upon the side hill back of the house of Mr. Griswold he built a small frame house, now occupied by J. H. Burroughs on the same lot. He sold to Samuel Hull in 1835 and in 1838 bought the farm of Almon Taylor where he now resides, S. pt of lot 35, T. %. He purchased the Taylor farm , N. pt of lot 34, T. 5, of Richard Reynolds in 1855. Mr. S. m. Betsey Hill, dau. of Lewis Hill, Dec. 25, 1825. [See No. 75} Mrs. S. was b. Aug 14, 1803 and d. Dec 22, 1836. His second m. was with Mary Williams, dau. of Elial Williams of P., Oct 9, 1837. Mr. S. is a man of great energy and formerly of great endurance, and when clearing land was first in order with the settlers; he chopped, and without aid, over 500 acres, and says that he "never was beat with an ax." He is at present, however, greatly disabled from rheumatism, induced by excessive toil. Mr. S. is democratic in political sentiment.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Skinner

By the first marriage.,

    1. JOSEPH: b. March 13, 1827; m. Antoinette Morley; lives in Michigan.
    2. HOMER: b. June 6, 1829; m. Martha Fuller; lives in P.
    3. LESTER: b. May 12, 1831; m. _____, wife lives in Boston, Mass.
    4. ROXY ANN: b. Feb 12, 1833; m. Mortimer Francis; lives in Pomfret.
    5. FRANKLIN: b. April 16, 1835; m. Catharine ONeil; lives in P.

By second marriage,

    1. ELIAL W.: b. Sept 30, 1838; m. Betsey Haight; lives in P.
    2. GEORGE W.: b. Sept. 30, 1840; m. Susan Jane Taylor; lives in P.
    3. MARY JANE: b. May 2, 1842; m. John Gordon; lives in P.

SMALLEY, Stephen (94)

Came to P. from Norway, Herkimer County, this state in 1817. He located pt. of lot 48, T. 4, but retuned to Norway within the next few years. He was a cousin of Mrs. J. S. West.

SMITH, Joel (173)

Came to P. some time previous to 1820, and in 1821 or 22 bought a claim to pt. of lot 18, T. 5, land now owned by Franklin Griswold . In 1825 he sold to David Skinner and soon after removed to Buffalo. He m. Loretta, dau. of Wm. Harris. Mrs. S. d. in Buffalo in the winter of 1871-72.

SMITH, Martin (16)

Came to P. from Schoharie county, N, Y, in 1809, and settled on the farm now owned by J. McFadden commonly known as the Goodsell Farm, buying of Capt. James Dunn. This purchase included the Nicholas Uhl Farm now occupied by M. S. Noxon pt lot 34, T. 5. He kept a tavern for a few years in the frame house built by J. Potter in 1812. [See Taverns] He left town a few years later, probably in 1820, and for several years kept a tavern at Tonawanda, N.Y. He d. in the Insane Asylum at Buffalo. Some of this family m. in P. as well as elsewhere.

SPAFFORD, Oliver (105)

Was the son of John and Betsey Kendd S[afford, and was b/ at Windsor. Vt., Jan 27, 1793. He came to P. from there in the spring of 1817. He m. Lucinda, dau. of Simon Burton, who was b. in N. H. March 15, 1793. He settled on pt of lot 22 T. 5, land now owned by T. L. Harris , and on which is situated "Vine Cliff", the residence of Mr. Harris. He was a bookbinder by trade and soon learned that clearing land was not congenial to his tastes, and in 1825 removed to Fredonia and occupied the building next west of the old drug store of Charles Buritt. Three years later he removed to Erie., Pa. He was for some years a member of the firm of Farnsworth and Spafford, book publishers, Windsor, VT. Mr. S. is still living at Erie; Mrs. S. d. there Jan 6, 1855. Politically Mr. S. is republican, and for his religious sentiments refers the reader to the Acts of the Apostles, 3d chapter and 19th verse to the end of the chapter; also Eph. I 9th and 10th verses.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Spafford

    1. OLIVER D.: b. Sept. 15, 1817; m. Margaret Dickson in Erie in Sept. 1842.
    2. MARGARET ANN: b. Nov 20, 1819
    3. ELIZABETH K.: b. Mar. 22, 1821; m. G. W. Riblett in March 1845.
    4. CHARLES W.: b. Nov 15, 1822; d. in Fredonia in 1825.
    5. LUCINDA A.: b. May 12, 1825; d. in 1827.
    6. CHARLOTTE A.: b. Sept 12, 1826; m. Jonas Gunnison of Erie in 1848.
    7. MARY JANE: b. Dec.18, 1828; m. S. H. Kelsey Oct. 9, 1848.
    8. ELLEANOR L.: b. May 23, 1830; m. John B. Gunnison of Erie, Feb. 5, 18561.
    9. SARAH M.: b. Sept. 16, 1833; m. James Hammond in 1855 .
    10. CHARLES R.: b. Sept. 16, 1835; m. Carrie V. Culver.
    11. CURTIS J.: b. Aug. 23, 1837; was a member of Co. "I" 83d Reg. Pa. Vols, and was killed at battle of Gaines Mills in June 1862.

SPENCER, Henry (134)

Came to P. from Warsaw, Wyoming County, N. Y. in 1818 or 19.

He bought a claim to pt of lot 16, T. 5, of Alfred Skinner in 1823,

land on which Alfred and Chester Skinner first settled in 1819.

He sold his claim in 1835 and removed to Ohio.

STETSON, William A. (257)

Came to P. from Cayuga County, N. Y., about 1815 , and settled on the farm now owned and occupied by A. B. Hillar, pt of lot 55, T. 4. He m. Jane, a dau. of Samuel Anderson. some years later he removed to the south part of the county where he kept a tavern for from six to ten years. From circumstances it is quite probable that he d. somewhere in the west. A dau., Mrs. ____ Fish, is now living at Kenosha, Wis.

STILSON, Jacob (248)

Settled on N. part of lot 16, T. 5, near the lake, land articled by G. A. Hitchcock and afterward owned by James Goldsmith , and now owned by Horace Skinner. The assignment of his article bears date Jan. 7, 1830. Nothing is definitely known of him.

TAYLOR, Erastus (see # 64-Ahira HALL)

TAYLOR, Parsons (see # 64-Ahira HALL)

TAYLOR, Reuben (65)

Was of Scotch descent and b. in Colchester, Conn., Feb. 8th, 1759. He m. Anna Skinner in Hebron, Conn., 1785. Mrs. T. was b. in Hebron, Oct. 7, 1763. They removed to Norwich, Chenango Co., N.Y. in 1788, and to P. in 1815. He settled on E. pt. lot 34, T. 5, land now owned by Cullen Burr, W. Turk and J. Fleming. His log house stood where the house of Mr. Turk now stands. In 1824 he built a frame house since removed by Mr. Turk. Mr. T. d. Mar. 9th, 1833. Mrs. T. d. May 3d, 1842. They were bu. in Evergreen Cemetery. While a youth Mr. T. was in some capacity attached to the army of Washington in the war of the Revolution. Mr. and Mrs. T. had a large family all born in Chenango County, but the oldest; all of who may be termed early settlers of P.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Taylor

  1. PARSONS: b. in Hebron, Conn., March 22d, 1787; came to P. in 1809; settled on east pt. of lot 34, T. 5; sold to his father in 1815; bought N. pt. of same lot the same year, farm now owned in part by David Skinner. He m. 1st Phebe Carpenter, Jan. 27 th 1809, who d. Oct. 2d 1839; 2d Betsey Godfrey in 1841. He had but one ch. Bethia, b. Oct. 15th 1841. He was a clothier by trade. The house now on the farm was built by him in 1826. He sold to Richard Reynolds and removed to Centerville, where he d. March 8th , 1869.
  2. ERASTUS: b. Nov. 15th, 1788, came to p. in the winter of 1808; settled on pt. of lot 34, T. 5; built a log house in which he lived alone for one year, when he sold to his brother Parsons and bought on the N. pt. of the same lot, on which he lived until his death. He was a volunteer in the war of 1812 and was at the battle of Queenstown, where he was wounded. [See war of 1812] He returned to P. in 1815; built a log house and occupied it until 1836, when he built the house now standing on the farm. He m. Elizabeth Mathewson in Chenango County, Feb. 4th , 1819. They have a family of three children 1. Edward B. 2. Gurdon M. 3. Charles G. Mr. T. was a man of great energy, a quality necessary in the settler of a new country. A little incident is recorded of him that attests his patience also: In 1809 his axe became well worn, and he was obliged to obtain a new one. Axes were not then ground ready for use as now, but the edge was left one-eighth of an inch in thickness and the buyer was expected to put it in order. He purchased one, but no grindstone was to be found in town; a flat piece of stone, however, was found and with this, during the long winter evenings he ground his axe to a good condition for use by long continued hard rubbing. Mr. T. d. Aug. 17th, 1857. Mrs. T. d. Dec. 5th 1860.
  3. JARED: b. Mar. 9th, 1791; came to P. in 1809; located pt of lot 63, T. 4, farm now owned by N. F. Stowell ; sold some years later and bought pt. of lot 62, T. 4; he m. Polly, dau. of Jonathan Burch. Mrs. T. d. in P. Mr. T. was thrice m., and about 1850 removed to Crawford county, Pa., where he d. Some years later he was removed to P. He was in the war of 1812. Mr. and Mrs. T. had a large family. 1. Parsons, 2 Almira, 3 Emeline, 4 Lexington, 5 Amanda, 6 Matilda, 7 Mary Ann, 8 Jane, 9 Amaretta.
  4. ANNA: b. Jan 18th, 1793; d. young.
  5. JOSEPH: b. Feb. 4th, 1797; came to P. in 1815; purchased pt. of lot 34, T. 5, in 1816 or 17, land now owned by his son Martin; he m. Lucina Godfrey in P; he died Dec. 11th , 1845. Mrs. T. d. Feb. 28th 1848. They were bu. in Evergreen Cemetery. They had three ch. 1, Rachel, 2 Oscar, 3 Martin L.
  6. DOLLY: b. Oct. 25th 1799; d. young.
  7. REUBEN: b Mar, 6th, 1800; came to P.; settled on N. W. pt of lot 55 T. 4, farm now owned by E. Saunders ; he sold and for one or two years kept a tavern at the McKenzie place; afterward removing to Crawford county, Pa; is still living. The family were: 1 Byron, 2 Phebe Ann, 3 Cordelia, 4 Reuben, 5 Janette, 6 Nancy, 7 Joseph.
  8. JUSTIN: b. Oct. 25th, 1801; came to P. with his father in 1815; m. Catharine Smith, dau. of Martin Smith; lived with his father; but after his d. removed to Will county, Ill., in 1834, where he d. about 1847 or 48. The family were: 1 Harriet, 2 Francis, 3 Smith, 4 Satia, 5 Henry, 6 Grosvenor, 7 Smith, 8 Justin.
  9. BETSEY: b. May 20th 1803; came to P. with the family; m. Samuel Anderson, Oct. 19th, 1820; settled on S. W. pt. of lot 28, T. 5, farm now owned by Frank Arnold; removed to Ill. in Mar. 1833. Mr. A. d. in California. Mrs. A. m. -----Poor; d. in Ill. in 180. Mr. A. was a man of energy, but a little eccentric, and forgetful of the wants of a family, and especially with reference to providing fuel. On a certain occasion while living in P., after having his mind repeatedly refreshed with reference to the condition of things in this respect, he left for the fallow with several hired men, no doubt, thinking, if indeed he had any thoughts about it, that his good wife would provide herself with wood as she had done before. But Mrs. A. was equal to the emergency and soon taught her husband the necessity of better attention in this particular. At the appointed time she spread the table, placed the kettle over the fireplace, filled with all the necessaries for a "boiled dinner", blew the horn and seated herself with needle in hand to await the result. Soon Mr. A. and his men came in, and were well "taken back" at the shape things had assumed. Mr. A. "saw the point " at once; wood was prepared, the dinner cooked and eaten with a relish and much good cheer; a very good evidence of the fact that arguments addressed to the stomach are often more potent than those addressed to the intellectual or moral natures. Mr. and Mrs. A. had but two ch. 1 Horace, 2 Pierpont.
  10. ALMON: b. June 16th, 1805; came to P. with the family; m. Jane Smith, dau. of Martin Smith; lived on land now owned by Cullen Burr; went to Ill. about 1845, and to California soon after, and on his return in 1850, d. and was bu. at sea. The family were: 1 Marcus, 2 Catharine, 3 Martin, 4 name not remembered.

THAYER, Elijah (155)

Was the first settler between Solomon Coneys mill, N.E. pt. of Lot 21, T. 5, and the lake. When he settled here is not known, but some time previous to 1819. The farm afterward owned by Fred Owen, Seth Richardson, Anson Driggs, Hiram Burton, and now by T. L. Harris. He m. the widow of Stephen McGregor, and as late as 1840 lived on the McCabe farm, pt. of lot 26, T. 5. Mrs. T. d. in Tompkins County, this state in 1860.

THAYER, Jedediah (80)

Was b. at Mendon, Mass., Mar. 29, 1764, and m. Rachael Adams in that state. Mrs. T. was b. at Brookfield, Mass., March 1, 1767. They came from Mass. To P. in 1816, and settled on the N. W. pt of lot 61, T. 4, land now owned and occupied by Oscar Hall. His article bears date Feb. 1, 1817. He was a farmer and shoemaker, and like most of the early settlers had a large family, who were m. before Mr. T. came to P., but all eventually settled here and are now dead with but one exception. Mr. T. was a Protestant; politically a whig. NOTE: Jedediah died in Carroll 14, Sep 1855 at age 91. Fredonia Censor dated 23 Sep 1855. Rachel (sic) died in Westfield, 10 March 1844 age 77 yrs. Fredonia Censor dated 20 March 1844.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Thayer

    1. PEREZ: settled on S.E. pt of lot 62, T. 4.
    2. PERMALIA: m. Reuben B. Patch; settled on lot 4, T. 5; d. may 18, 1863.
    3. RHODA:
    4. ROYAL O.: settled on pt of lot 60, T. 4; d. at Brocton.
    5. BETSEY:
    6. JEDEDIAH:
    7. HIRAM: now lives in Carroll, this county.
    8. LOIS:
    9. JONATHAN:

THAYER, Lemuel (152)

Was a native of Salsbury, Conn. He m. Charity Manly in Conn. Mrs. T, d, in Salsbury and the family soon after removed to Onondaga County, N.Y. Mr. T. m. for a second wife Clarinda Davis. After several changes he came to P. from Genesee County in 1818. He settled on N. pt. of lot 32, T. 4, farm now owned by Matthew Fuller. The last years of his life he lived with his son William. He d. in 1833.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Thayer

    1. MANLY: b. in Conn. And d. there.
    2. VESTA: m. Leonard Lilly; d. in Ohio many years since.
    3. LEMUEL: settled in P. and d. on the farm now owned by Cullen Burr, pt. of lot 34, T. 5.
    4. PATIENCE: d. in Onondaga County.
    5. ORPHA: m. Isaac Hubbard; d. in Iowa.
    6. CHARITY: d. young.
    7. RICHMOND: m. Mrs. ---- Churchill; lives in Ellington, this county.
    8. WILLIAM: b. June 10, 1801; m. Sally Simmons in P.; settled on N.E. pt. lot 32, T. 4, where he still lives.

The above were all b, in Conn. Those by his second wife were:

    1. ELEANOR: m. Brainard Belding; settled in P.
    2. ALICIA: m. Lewis Barnham; went to Iowa.
    3. MARGARET: m. Orrin Hunt; settled on E. pt. lot 32, T. 4.
    4. MARIA: m. John Bostwick; settled in Ohio, where Mr. B. d. Mrs. B. d. in P. June 1855.
    5. DOLLY: m. Henry Miller; lives in Stockton, this county.
    6. JANE: m. Abner Billings; lives in town of Chautauqua, this county.
    7. ELIZABETH: m. Ebenezer Simmons; went to Michigan, where Mr. S. d.

All the family were born before coming to P.

THORNTON, Asa (62)

Came to Portland as early as 1815 and purchased a claim to pt of lot 4, T 5, farm now owned by H.A. Blowers. He soon sold to Henry Abell, who sold to Jonas Stafford in 1816. His last purchase in town was the land now owned in pt by S.S. Jones, pt of lot 15, T 5, of Henry Guyle, in 1827. In 1829 he sold and went to Pa.

TIBBALS, John (252)

Was a wagon maker at Centerville about 1830. He went west.

TILLOTSON, Cyrus (249)

Lived for several years on the N. pt. of lot 54, T. 4, land now owned by T. McWhir. He sold and went west, but where is not known. His article bears date Sept. 1, 1830.

TITCOMB, Moses (114)

Settled on pt of lot 16, T. 5, in 1818. He was a joiner by trade, a little eccentric, and unsteady in his habits. He sold his claim to Alfred Skinner in 1819 and soon left town.

TOWER, John (131)

Was the son of ____Tower, a seafaring man, who for many years lived in Vt. He m. Lucy, dau. of Samuel Munson, and came to P. from New Hartford, Oneida county, this state, in Oct. 1818. in common with most settlers who came into town from the east, the family refer to the horrors of the Cattaraugus woods. There had been a heavy fall of snow, which was fast disappearing before the warm rays of an October sun, and the whole swamp was covered with water and slush from two to three feet deep. In passing through it one of the horses lost his footing and went down and out of sight, and was only rescued by the plunging in of Mr. T. and his assistant and unloosening it from its fastenings. He lived in the town of Chautauqua for a year, but returned and bought of John Price a piece of land where Price built his first cabin, on S. E. corner of his farm, pt of lot 38, T. 5; also five acres of Richard Birge, adjoining, with a log house. He afterward built a frame house and barn and a tannery. [See tanneries] He d. June 29, 1855. Mrs. T. d. Sept/ 2, 1838. Mr. T. made no profession of religious faith; in politics he was a democrat. The family of Mr. and Mrs. T. were all b. in Oneida County, but all living were m. in P.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Tower

    1. R. W. TOWER: b. Oct 29, 1804; m. Sophia Crane of P. Jan. 12, 1834.
    2. JULIA A.: b. March 11, 1807; m. Russel Stone of Westfield, Oct. 12, 1836; now lives in Fairwater, Fon du Lac county, Wis.
    3. MARY S.: b. Sept. 29, 1808; m. Oliver W. Burch Mar. 8, 1827; d. march 2, 1851; bu. in W. & P. U. cemetery. Mr. B. lives in Westfield, this county.
    4. FREDERIC: b. April 24, 1810; m. Almira Taylor Sept 5, 1837; now lives in North East, Pa.
    5. MARTHA A.: b. Feb. 12,1812; d. Sept. 30, 1813.
    6. SALLY A.: b. Sept 30,1813; m. Isaac Durand April 29, 1834; lives in Lancaster, Grant County, Wisconsin.

TUCKER, Samuel (243)

Captain tucker was b. in Worcester County, Mass., May 10, 1760. His w., Anna Logan, was b. in Conn. Nov. 2, 1770. Capt. T. was a soldier of the revolution entering the army at the age of fifteen and serving six years and six months when he was honorably discharged. With some Vermont soldiers he found his way to the town of Rupert, Bennington, County, where he m. He ws in many hard fought battles and was present and stood in line at the hanging of Major Andre. He was personally and intimately acquainted with that eccentric character and daring leader, Col. Ethan Allen, both in the army and afterward in Vt. In 1791 he removed to Herkimer County, this state; in 1810 to Silver Creek, this county, and some years later to Ripley, now Westfield, where he lived on a farm at some time occupied by Lyman Redington, near the old cross-roads. In 1829 he removed to P. and purchased pt of lot 24, T. 5, adjoining land of J. H. Hulburt on the east. The house is still standing. His article bears date Oct. 27, 1829. Capt. T. d. in P. Oct. 14, 1832. Mrs. T. d. in Westfield March 14, 1852.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Tucker

    1. SAMUEL jr.:
    2. SUSANNA:
    3. ANNA:
    4. ORPHA: m. Charles Burritt of Fredonia; now living with her dau., Mrs. E. W. Meacham
    5. DAVID:
    6. LAURA:
    7. OLIVE: m. Robert Riddle of Westfield.
    8. HIRAM: m. Mary Ann, adopted dau. of Capt. James Dunn.
    9. WILLIAM: m. Phila Hulburt, dau. of Rev. David Hulburt, in P.
    10. HARRIET: m. John Wood of Pomfret; 2d John Catlin.
    11. GEORGE W.: m. Mary Ann Gould; lives in Westfield.

UHL, Nicholas (239)

Was the son of Daniel and Mary Uhl and was b. in Union Vale, Dutchess County, N. Y. He m. Eliza Hiller, dau. of Jonathan and Joanna Briggs Hiller, who was b. in Dover, same county, March 23, 1796. They came to P. in 1828 and settled on pt of lot 34, T. 5, buying a claim of James Ray, the farm now occupied by Mr. Noxon. He sold in 1858 to Isaac Shattuck and removed to the west part of town and purchased a house and lot of N. Sacket, where he d. in Oct the same year. He was bu. in W & P. U. cemetery. Mrs. Uhl is still living with her bro., A. B. Hiller, in a helpless condition. Mr. and Mrs. U. had no family. They were both of them noted for their energy and perseverance and their powers of physical endurance. Mr. U. belonged to no religious sect but favored in his views the Society of Friends. Politically he was a whig and republican.

UNDERHILL, John (199)

Came to P. from Conn. With Walker Lewis in 1824. He m. a dau of Mr. Lewis. He lived for a few years in a log house east of the bridge at Brocton but in 1830 purchased of Ebenezer Shumway a claim to pt of lot 21. T. 5, land now principally owned by the L. S. and T. C & P. R. R. companies for station, yards, etc. He sold about 1840 and removed to Ohio, where he and most of his family d.

UTTER, Eleazer (115)

It is not known where Mr. Utter came from, or when he came to P., but probably in 1816 or 17. For some years he owned a pt of lot 22, T. 5, land since owned by Joshua Crosby and T. Goodwin. He sold his claim to John Bond and removed to Dunkirk, this county. He was a man of excellent attainments and taught school in Dunkirk as early as 1820.

VANGAASBEEK, Matthew P. (81)

Came to P. from Woodstock, Ulster County, N. Y., in June 1816, bringing all his worldly effects in a knapsack. He was the son of Abram and Elizabeth Hasbroek Vangassbeek. He bought a claim to fifty acres of land of Wm. Dunham. W. pt lot 27, T. 5. He m. Lucy, dau. of Wm. Dunham, July 10, 1816. Mrs. V. was b. in Colchester, N. Y., Oct. 28, 1797. She refers with characteristic earnestness to the "nonsense" of modern weddings and the primitive simplicity and "common sense" of her own. "At that time there was no road but a trail from the lake to other points, so we started on foot through the woods, early in the morning, for the tavern of Richard Williams, where we had horses engaged. We mounted and rode to Canadaway, following the road then in use; called on Henry Abell, Esq., had the knot tied and returned in good order the way we went. We sought only to please ourselves there were few others to please. The wedding was a matter of our own and not a show for foolish people to look at and talk about." They occupied a log house until 1849 when Mr. V. built the house now on the farm and still occupied by the family. Mr. V. was in the war of 1812 from Ulster. He was a Universalist, and in early life a whig; afterward a democrat. He d. May 16, 1862, and was bu. in North Portland Cemetery. Mrs. V. is still living.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Vangaasbeek

    1. WILLIAM: b. Oct 1, 1817; d. Dec. 20, 1840, in P..
    2. HARRIET: b Sept. 23, 1819; m. John Springstead May 15, 1845; lives in P.
    3. CHARLES D.: b. July 5, 1823; lives on the homestead; not m.
    4. HELEN: b. April 20, 1828; m. ____ Jackson, Jan 1872.
    5. MINERVA: b. Sept. 17, 1833; m. John Tiff.
    6. ELIZABETH: b. Dec. 26, 1835; m. J. H. Shaver; lives in Ripley, this county.
    7. SALOME: b. Jan. 23, 1838; m. 1st Richard Waters, who d. in 1861; m. 2d Wallace Wilbur; lives in Pa.

VANGAASBEEK, Peter (104)

Was the son of Abram and Elizabeth Hasbroek Vangaasbeek and was b. at Kingston, N. Y., July 10, 1793. He m. Phebe, dau. of Wm. And Lucy Penoyer Dunham, and came to P. in 1817 from Hector, Seneca County, this state. He settled on a pt of lot 27, T. 5; farm recently occupied by Joseph Shaver. His log house is still standing on the farm. He was a bro. of Mr. M. Vangaasbeek. He removed to Ohio in 1834 and to Wisconsin some years later, where he d. in 1861. Mrs. V. d. about the same time. Mr. V. was in the war of 1812 three years. He was a Universalist; politically a whig.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Vangaasbeek

    1. LUCY
    2. ELIZABETH
    3. GEORGE
    4. SALOM
    5. PETER
    6. ELMIRA
    7. LEWIS
    8. CATHARINE
    9. & (10) twins MALVINA & LOVINA

(11) FRANK

VIBBARD, Leonard (165)

Came to P. in 1820 from Otsego County, N. Y., with his own conveyance as was usual in those times. He m. Betsey, a sister of Jeremiah, Jacob and Thomas Klumph. He settled on pt of lot 39, T. 4, land now owned by David Whipple, purchasing a claim from ____Light. Mr. V. d. in 1833 or 34 and his family soon removed to Tonawanda, this state.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Vibbard

    1. ORVILLE
    2. LOUISA
    3. MARY
    4. THOMAS

The names of the youngest three are not remembered

WEST, Joshua S. (200)

The son of Freeman and Sally Salsbury West was b. at Scituate, Rhode Island, April 8, 1801. His father and mother were natives of the same town. The former b. in 1773 and the latter in 1780. Mr. W. came to P. from Sangerfield, Oneida County, this state, in April 1824. He m. Fatima Barnes, dau. of Calvin Barnes, Feb. 4, 1827. Mrs. W. was b. in Norway, Herkimer County, this state, Dec 26, 1897. Mr. W. lived for some years in Hanover and Westfield, this county, but eventually purchased the Calvin Barnes estate, where he now resides. Mr. W. during a long residence in P. has been actively identified with the political movements in town and often honored with places of trust by the people; was justice of the peace two terms and assessor for several years. He is a member of the Methodist church, and politically a republican. From 1830 to 1835 he commanded a military company called the Rangers. Mrs. W. d. June 14, 1872.

Family OF Mr. and Mrs. West

    1. WILLIAM H: b. in Westfield Feb 16 1828; never m.
    2. Caroline M: b. in P. Jan 4 1830; m. S. Edmonds in Feb 1873; lives in Sheridan, this county.
    3. SARAH: b. in Hanover Aug 12 1838; m. Germond Burhans May 19 1864; lives in Michigan.
    4. LYDIA: b. in Hanover Feb 22 1841; m. Edwin Wright March 15 1866; lives on the homestead.
    5. SOLON B: b. in P. Jan 13 1847; m. Addie M. VanAernam Jan 15 1868; lives in Mayville, this county.

WHITCHER, Stephen (133)

Settled on pt of lot 60, T. 4, about 1828, farm originally settled by Aaron Hall.

Nothing further has been learned of him.

WHITCOMB, Simeon (82)

Came to P. from Vt. in 1816. His wife was ------- Perkins, a sister of Orris Perkins. He settled on pt of lot 41, T. 5, farm now owned by David Granger. His article bears date July 2, 1819. Three or four years later he sold and purchased a pt of lot 30, T. 5. of Capt. James Dunn, at Portland Center, farm now owned by Owen W. Powell. He removed to Illinois in 1855. Mr. W. was a farmer. [See distilleries]

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Whitcomb

    1. MARTIN: living in Michigan.
    2. LYMAN: living at Washington, Iowa.
    3. BETSEY: m. Hiram Haight of Westfield, this county.

WILBUR, Aaron (236)

Was the son of Brownell and Eunice Wilbur, and was b. in the town of Washington, Dutchess County, N. Y., Nov. 22, 1788. He m. Betsey Reynolds, dau. of Jacob and Martha Reynolds, in Albany County, this state, Sept. 27, 1812. Mrs. W. was b. in Rensselaerville, same Co., Aug. 4, 1789. They came to P. from Dutchess County in June 1828, and purchased a from of Norman Kibbe of Westfield, the N. E. pt of lot 38, T. 5, now owned by Edward McGarrall. They occupied a log house built by John Price in 1815 until 1839, when they built the frame house now standing on the farm. They lived upon this farm until 1857 when they removed to Portland Center. Dr. Wilbur was for many years a physician and surgeon, but after his removal to P. a farmer [See Physicians] Dr. W. d. June 23, 1871, and was bu. in W. & P. U. cemetery. Mrs. W. d. in 1872 and was bu. by the side of her husband. Dr. W. was a Quaker in sentiment; politically a democrat.

Family of Dr. and Mrs. Wilbur

    1. MORGAN: b. in Albany County in 1816; m. Sally Clements and settled in McHenry County, Ill.
    2. JANETTE: b. in Albany County in 1817; m. Edward B. Taylor and settled in P.
    3. DARWIN: b. in Dutchess County in 1819; m. Mary F. Shuff in P. and settled at Harvard, McHenry County, Ill.
    4. MARTHA A.: b. in Dutchess County in 1822; m. Samuel Caldwell in P. and settled there.
    5. JAMES B.: b. in Dutchess County in 1824; d. in P. Oct. 18, 1829.
    6. EMELINE J.: b. in Dutchess County in 1827; m. Henry Burchard; settled in P.; d. in Pomfret in 1872.
    7. JAMES B. : b. in P. ; in 1830; m. Louisa Smart; lives in Westfield, this county.
    8. HARRISON: b. in P. in 1833; m. Orvilla Price; lives in Dunkirk.

WILBUR, Brownell (237)

Was bro. of Dr. Aaron Wilbur (No. 236), and came to P., with him in 1828. He purchased of Norman Kibbie a part of the Price farm, pt. of lot 38, T. 5, land now owned in part by the heirs of Jacob Roosa and Henry Churchill. He occupied a log house near David Eatons on the old Erie road. He sold in 1837 and removed to Fairport, Monroe county, this state, where he still lives.

WILBUR, John (224)

Came to P. from Chenango County, this state, in 1826. He never owned real estate in town. He m. for a second wife Mary B. Flint, sister of Henry Flint of this town. He removed from P. to Elgin, I. and d. there. Mrs., W, is still living there. His son John m. Alma, dau. of Wm. Dunham, an early settler. NOTE: They were m. Feb 1826 . according to Fredonia Censor dated 2-17-1826. A Mary Wilbur died on 15 or 22 Aug 1825 in P. wife of Capt. John Wilbur, ae 37. Fredonia Censor 24 Aug 1825 perhaps his 1st wife.?

WILDER, James (41)

Nothing is known of the early history of Mr. W. He settled on S. E. pt of lot 19, T. 5, farm now known as the Judson farm, in 1812 or 13. He m. a dau. of Capt. David Joy. In 1818 he sold his cabin to Lyman Doolittle, and in company with another family, name not now remembered, built a boat upon Chautauqua lake, in which the two families embarked expecting to reach the lead mines of Illinois in the course of the season. After passing safely as far as Mariette on the Ohio river, then but a point amidst the wilds of an almost unbroken wilderness, some of the voyagers sickened with fever and were conveyed on shore for better care and safety, but only to d, and find their last resting place within the solitudes of the forest. Others soon followed, and before they were able to proceed nearly one half of the original company of fifteen or sixteen persons were laid side by side and left in the kindly embrace of mother earth. The balance after a months delay proceeded on their way and eventually reached their destination.

WILLIAMS, Ebenezer (83)

Was the son of Joseph and came to P. from Sangerfield, Oneida County, N, Y,, about 1816. He settled and "cleared up" the farm now owned by W. C. Warner, S. E. pt of lot 14, T. 5. His log house stood on the ground now occupied by the house of Mr. Warner. He m. in P. a sister of R. C. Weeks, some years since living at Portland Center. Mrs. W. d. in 1822; was found d. in her house near the fire where she had probably fallen in a fit. She was the first buried in Brocton cemetery. Mr. W, m. for a second wife Mrs. Polly Ingersoll, widow of John Ingersoll. In 1827 or 28 Mr. W. sold to his bro. Harvey and returned to Sangerfield, some years later removed to Wisconsin where he d. Mr. and Mrs. W, had but one ch. Morris, of whose fortunes the writer knows nothing.

WILLIAMS, Harvey (229)

Was the son of Joseph and came to P. from Sangerfield, Oneida County, N.Y., in 1827. He was b. March 5, 1799, and m. Mrs. Katharine Harrison soon after coming to P.[Note:

The Fredonia Censor dated 12/17/1827 gives m. date as 16 Dec. 1827 m. at P. by Rev. Charles LaHatt] He settled on the farm now owned by W. C. Warner, S. pt of lot 14, T. 5, buying of his bro. Ebenezer, and occupied a log house until 1830 when he built a frame house recently removed by Mr. Warner, in which he kept a tavern until 1835 when he sold to S. S. Hawkins. He built the house now owned by A. J. Mericle on E. Main street, Brocton, which he occupied in 1837. In 1847 he sold this to Austin Haines and occupied the house now owned by John Capwell in Brocton. He removed to Milwaukee in 1849. Mrs. W. d. April 9, 1828, and Mr. w. m. Sarah Ann Drake, a half sister of Mrs. H. A. S. Thompson, in 1830. Mrs. W. d. in Milwaukee. Mr. W. was an active business man and did much toward developing the town of his adoption.[See Mills] He went to California in 1851, but now lives in Laclede, Linn Co., Missouri.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Williams

    1. JANE: m. Lafayette Lake; d. in Milwaukee
    2. THOMAS: went to California with his father in 1851, and was shot in an encounter with desperadoes and d. of his wounds.

WILLIAMS, Richard (66)

Was a descendant of Roger Williams the founder of providence, R. I. He was b. in East Hartford, Conn., July 6th 1773; m. Sophia Morton in Madison county, Sept. 25th, 1776. They emigrated from Sangerfield, Oneida Co., to Canadaway in July 1807, where they lived until 1815, when they removed to P., exchanging property with Henry Abell , pt. of lot 25, T. 5, now owned by Lincoln Fay. Mr. W. d. here in Sept. [ Note: 20th] 1822. Mrs. W. afterward m. Ithamer Crouch and lived on pt. lot 29, T. 5, where she d. Apr. 13th, 1854. They were bu. in Fredonia Cemetery [ Note: now Pomfret Pioneer Cemetery] Mrs. W. was a sister of Thomas Morton, one of the early settlers of Fredonia, who lived for many years in a small house standing on the site of the present residence of Col. Rufus Haywood, on Central Avenue. She was a woman of remarkable energy and many instances are related of her indomitable energy and heroic daring, almost incredible. When Mr. and Mrs. W. removed to Canadaway, five families constituted the entire village. There were large accessions, however, that season Mr. W. and Hezekiah Barker built the first grist mill at that place, between the iron bridge and the mill of G. Tefft, some remains of which were to be seen but a few years since. The mill gearing was brought from Batavia, N, Y,, twenty one days being necessary to make the trip. Some of the original papers and correspondence relating to the building of the mill, and the first saw mill, by Mr. Barker, are now in the hands of the writer. They show a large amount of perseverance on the part of the proprietors, and much hardship endured to establish the means of converting the timber of the forest into lumber, and the meager supply of grain into flour and meal. A little insight may be had of the manner of living and the close quarters of the early emigrants, from the fact that Mr. W. and family lived in a log house twelve feet by sixteen, and much of the time while building the mill had from fifteen to twenty persons in the family. Mrs. W. declared on another occasion that she could accommodate as many in her house as there were boards in the floor. While living in P. Mr. W. kept a tavern, and was contractor for carrying the mails from Buffalo to Erie. [See Taverns and Mail Routes] Mrs.. W. was not a religionist, but Mrs. W. was a member of the Baptist church.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Williams

    1. ABNER:
    2. MORTON:
    3. ESTHER:
    4. ELIJAH:
    5. RICHARD:
    6. SHERMAN:
    7. SOPHIA:
    8. ELIZA:
    9. ADALINE:
    10. GOULD:
    11. NANCY:
    12. OLIVER W.:
    13. MARY H.

The first six were b, in Madison Co., the remaining seven in Canadaway and P.

NOTE: a genealogy of this family is at the Barker Museum Library amongst the Chautauqua County Genealogical Society collection.

WINSLOW, Nathaniel (202)

Came from Mass. To P. in 1825 and settled on pt. of lot 18, T. 5, adjoining J. H. Hulburt on the east. He was a farmer.

Family of Mr. and Mrs. Winslow

  1. ANN:
  2. MORTON: m. Elizabeth, dau. of Rev. David Hulburt, and first settled on pt. of lot 1, T. 5, land now owned by John Lawson; now lives in Bloomington, Ill.
  3. PHEBE:
  4. NATHANIEL:
  5. POLLY:
  6. ROSWELL:

All the ch. But Morton m. out of town.

WOODEN, Calvin (163)

Came to P. as early as 1820 He m. Elizabeth, dau. of John Light, and for a few years lived on pt. of lot 26, T. 5, a little east of Portland station, L. S. R. R.


Go To A-E
Go To F-M