Horseheads Historical Society
Southport Historical Society P.O. Box 146 Pine City, NY 14871
Town and County Historians
Steel Memorial Library 101 East Church Street, Elmira, New York 14901
|June 2007 -- Joyce,
It pleases me to inform you that the Steele Memorial Library has the New York State Vital Statitics Index on microfiche. This resource provided by the New York State Department of Health, allows patrons to search an index of birth records 1880-1932, marriage & death records 1880-1957. Over time this collection will grow. Birth records are released after 75 years, marriage and death records after 50 years.
This collection can be accessed at the Steele Memorial Library's Genealogy
Department. Details on Use guidelines can be found at:
Owen Frank, Head of Adult & Reference Services
Chemung County Health Dept. Office of Vital Statistics Heritage Park John Street Elmira, New York 14901
New York State Dept. of Health Vital Records Section Albany, New York 12230
NYS Archives Cultural Education Center Albany, New York 12237
National Archives & Record Services General Services Administration Washington, D.C. 20408
Schuyler County Historical Society Museum, 108
Catharine Street, PO Box 651, Montour Falls, NY 14865 - 607-535-9741
Our Hours are:Tuesdays - Friday 10 am - 4 pm
Saturdays Noon - 4pm July - Sept
Our Email is SchuylerMuseum@AOL.com,Thanks, John Potter, Director
PAGE UNDER CONSTRUCTION - Please Help by sending names and addresses to me - Joyce M. Tice - JoyceTice@aol.com
The main repositories for Chemung County research are:
1) Surrogate's Office, Lake Street, Elmira - Estate
records (Wills, etc.)
2) County Clerk's Office, Lake Street, Elmira - deeds, mortgages, state census (1825, 1835, 1855, 1865, etc.); original deeds and mortgages were transfered from Tioga County when Chemung was part of Tioga
3) Chemung County Historical Society, Water Street, Elmira - many family files that contain some original records not found elsewhere and many other resources
4) Steele Library, Elmira - Elmira newspapers on microfilm, city directories, and a large reference section
5) Tri-Counties Online Research Library http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/tcindex.htm
6) Surrogate's Office, Owego, NY - Estate records (Wills, etc.) prior to 1836 for that portion of Tioga that became Chemung. These have never been transfered to Chemung County as were deeds and mortgages. Abstracts are online at http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/document/tiogany.htm however they have proven not to be complete and the original files should be consulted.
7) Tioga County Historical Society, Owego.
Also, the New York State Archives has records pertaining to Chemung such as early school records and other documents for Chemung County.
J. Kelsey Jones