Annals of Oxford.

In requital ope his leathern scrip,
And show me simples of a thousand names,
Telling their strange and vigorous faculties.
--- MILTON.

WILLIAM G. SANDS, M. D.

-----------

    Dr. William G. Sands was a son of Judge Obadiah Sands, a native of Sands Point on Long Island, descended from Capt. James Sands, an Englishman, who came to this country about 1642, landing at Plymouth.

    Dr. Sands was born in Bainbridge, N. Y., November 5, 1810. About the year 1828 he was in attendance at Oxford Academy, and immediately thereafter commenced and completed his course of studies here as a physician and surgeon with Dr. Perez PACKER, and graduated at the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City in 1832. He returned to Oxford and until the death of Dr. Packer practiced with him. Later he was associated with Dr. William P. HOLMES for a short period. In 1842 he entered into the drug business, having purchased the stock of goods formerly owned by CLARKE & BABCOCK. After a time he took into partnership with him, his brother, Frederick A. Sands and James H. FOX, which was dissolved in December, 1850, Mr. Fox continuing the business.

    Dr. Sands retired from the active practice of his profession in 1864, and thereafter devoted his time largely to the care of his large and increasing estate, and to the numerous trusts as guardian and trustee for others, which he discharged with great fidelity and probity. He was elected to the Assembly, with Solomon ENSIGN, Jr., and Hiram E. STORRS, as members from this county, in 1846, and was also Supervisor of the town in 1852. He died suddenly June 14, 1889, leaving an estate valued at from $500,000 to $600,000. Dr. Sands married October 26, 1837, Sarah Eliza, daughter of Henry and Sarah (WASHBURN) MYGATT, born January 6, 1818, in Oxford; died July 2, 1890, at Vallonia Springs, N. Y. Children:

    CLARISSA DONNELLY, died in infancy.

    MARIA CLARISSSA, born November 26, 1839; died March 4, 1870; married December 31, 1867, Peter W. CLARKE.

    SARAH WASHBURN, born January 13, 1842; died March 7, 1869; married October 1, 1859, Henry L. WADE. Children: William Henry, died in infancy; William Sands, died in infancy.

    CATHERINE ODESSA, born October 15, 1852; died October 7, 1890; married January 17, 1882, Joseph E. PACKARD. Children: Edith; Henry, died July 7, 1893; William Guthrie; Katharine.

--------------------------------------

From labor there shall come forth rest.
--- LONGFELLOW.

DANIEL DUDLEY.

-----------

    Daniel Dudley was born in Alstead, New Hampshire, August 6, 1808, where his early years were spent on a farm. He came to Oxford in the autumn of 1830 and taught school the following winter in the old schoolhouse east of the village, near the old BUSH tavern, not very far from where the station of the N. Y., O. & W. railway now stands. In the spring of 1831 he started to learn the wagon making trade with Col. TARBELL. After serving a proper apprenticeship he formed a partnership with James DURHAM and they carried on the business together for a couple of years, when Mr. Dunham withdrew from the business and about 1836 built the house on Washington avenue, now owned by Mrs. Charles M. DODGE, and carried on the business of wagon making in it for some twenty-three years, a portion of the time also having quite an extensive cooperage in the same building.

    Mr. Dudley married, in 1834, Miss Miranda BEMIS, born November 10, 1811, who had come from Stafford, Conn., two years previous. In 1860 Mr. Dudley gave up his business and bought a farm in Dodge Hollow, west of the village, where he lived some six years. In 1866 he moved to Maine, Broome county, where he engaged in farming for twelve years, and then went to Binghamton, where he died February 19, 1884. Mrs. Dudley died May 24, 1891, in Altoona, Pa.

    Mr. Dudley joined the Methodist church soon after he came to Oxford, and, for a number of years, was one of its trustees. He was one of the three members of the building committee, which had in charge the erection of the church edifice where this society now worships. He served a full term in the old volunteer fire department in this village and was quite fond of the organization. He took a prominent part in the organization of the Republican party in Chenango county, and, although at one time yielding considerable local influence in the new party, he neither sought or desired any public office. His most prominent characteristics were integrity, strength of will, and independence in thought and action. Five children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Dudley, of whom two, M. Elithea and Mary C., died in infancy. Of the remaining three, Amanda S., married January 4, 1859, Seth W. FREEMAN, and died March 14, 1891, in Peoria, Ill.; Charles B., married March, 1906, Mary Virginia CRAWFORD of Bryn Mawr, Pa., and resides in Altoona, Pa.; and Eliza M., married S. S. ALLEN, and resides in Binghamton.

(pg 303 has picture of (1) Lewis Dayton BURDICK; (2) Charles B. DUDLEY, Ph. D.)

    Charles B. Dudley Ph. D., was born in Oxford, April 14, 1842. His early years were spent in the district school, and later Oxford Academy, in the fall and winter, and in working on a farm in the summer. August 6, 1862, he enlisted as a private in the 114th Regiment, N. Y. V., and was made Corporal July 1, 1864. He was in seven battles, participating in the siege of Port Hudson in 1863; in the Red River campaign in the spring of 1864, and was finally severely wounded in the battle of Opequan Creek, in the Shenandoah Valley, September 19, 1864. He was then mustered out of the service and sent to the hospital.

    The studious habits, which may be said to have characterized Dr. Dudley's whole life, manifested themselves even during his army service. During one winter, while the army was in winter quarters at Franklin, Louisiana, he had his Latin grammar and reader sent to him, and devoted many hours of his camp leisure to a study of that language.

    Returning home in 1865, he began to prepare for college at Oxford Academy, and entered Yale College in the fall of 1867, graduating as A. B. in the class of '71. The next year was spent in newspaper work in New Haven, obtaining means to prosecute further studies, and to pay off obligations already incurred during the previous four years. Having no independent means of his own Dr. Dudley obtained quite a portion of the funds needed to secure an education by working at whatever could be found to be done, both in vacation and in term time. In the fall of 1872 he entered the Sheffield Scientific school of Yale College and graduated in 1874, with the degree of Ph. D., having spent two years largely in chemical study. The next college year was spent as assistant to Dr. George F. BARKER, Professor of Physics, at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia. During this year some translations of technical papers were made, which were published in the Franklin Institute Journal. In September, 1875, Dr. Dudley accepted the position of teacher of the sciences in Riverview Military Academy at Poughkeepsie, which position he retained only about a month, as on November 10th of the same year he was invited to accept the position of Chemist of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company at Altoona, which position he still holds. When he began his work there, no railroad had a chemist as a regular employe, although many of them had occasional chemical work done.

    Of the work done by Dr. Dudley, perhaps that which has attracted the most widespread public attention was the study of steel rails made in the early eighties. Another and very important line of work in connection with the laboratory of the Pennsylvania Railroad at Altoona has been the making of specifications for materials. This is perhaps the most exacting and time consuming work that has been undertaken.

    Dr. Dudley has twice been abroad on business for the company, once in 1886 to study oil burning on locomotives in Russia, and again in 1900 as delegate to the International Railway Congress in Paris. He has been vice-president of the American Institute of Mining Engineers, and has twice been president of the American Chemical Society. He has been president of the American Society for Testing Materials. He is a member of the English, French and German Chemical Societies, of the Iron and Steel Institute of Great Britain, and the Verein Deutscher Eisenhuttenleute. He is also a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, and the Electrical Engineers as well. He is a member of the Union League Club of Philadelphia, the Cosmos Club of Washington, and of the Engineers' Club of New York.

    Apart from his professional work, Dr. Dudley spends no small amount of time in connection with the Altoona Mechanics' Library, which under his supervision and the fostering aid of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, contains now over 35,000 volumes.

--------------------------------------

They now to fight are gone;
Armor on armor shone;
Drum now to drum did groan,
To hear was wonder.
--- DRAYTON.

Mexican War Volunteers.

-----------

    The trouble with Mexico over the annexation of Texas began early in 1846, and Silas WRIGHT, Governor of the State, issued orders in obedience to a requisition from the President, James K. POLK, for seven regiments of volunteer infantry to be enrolled and held in readiness for muster into the service of the United States for the prosecution of the existing war between the States and the republic of Mexico. On June 1 James TYRELL, "Captain of the Infantry, of the Town of Oxford," advertised in the village papers that applications from persons desiring to volunteer would be received by him up to the 12th of that month. Having enrolled a company of fifty men, it was organized June 29, by the election of the following officers: James TYRELL, Captain; John DODGE, Jr., First Lieutenant; Daniel A. JOHNSON, Second Lieutenant; R. H. SISLEY, First Sergeant; Hiram BARTOO, Second Sergeant; William EATON, Third Sergeant; Austin R. ABBOTT, Fourth Sergeant; Edward M. OSBORN, First Corporal; William BOWERS, Second Corporal; Josiah L. CLARK, Third Corporal; Benjamin MINER, Fourth Corporal. After the transaction of this business the company marched to an adjoining field to the music of the "spirit-stirring drum" and "ear-piercing fife," where it was inspected, and, after performing a few evolutions, was dispersed until called for by "Uncle Sam."

    James Terrel was enlisted in the company recruited at Oxford, and was sworn in to the service at Utica, and assigned to Company K, 8th United States Infantry. His regiment sailed from New York and joined Major General SCOTT's army at San Pueblo. He participated in several important battles and with the victorious American army entered the City of Mexico, and saw General Scott when he rode into the city at the head of his staff. The capture of the City of Mexico (September 14, 1847) ended the war, and, on July 26, 1848, Terrel was discharged from the service at Jefferson Barracks below New Orleans. While he remained in the city he, as were many other soldiers, was presented with a stock and a handsome blanket by Mexican ladies. The stock was a leather collar worn around the neck and served to keep the soldier's head up and eyes straight ahead. The soldiers called it a "dog collar." The blanket was stolen from him by a fellow soldier who was hung for stealing, as were eighteen others for the same crime, he witnessing the execution. The portrait of Mr. Terrel represents him in cap with silver eagle, and coat and sash worn while in the service. His musket and other accoutrements he had, at the expiration of his term of service, turned over to Capt. Elisha Kent KANE, who afterwards became famous as an Arctic explorer. The medals shown on the coat were presented to him by the government. One of gold, another of silver, given for special service and bravery; the third, made from captured Mexican cannon, was given in 1878, to all survivors of the war. So far as is known he was the last survivor of that war in this section of the State.


James A. Terrel-A Mexican War soldier

pictures of Fire Department House, Fort Hill; Oxford Bookstore and Times Office - 1897. - not legible

    Mr. Terrel died May 12, 1906, and was given a military funeral. Breed Post, G. A. R., escorted the remains to Riverview cemetery, and a delegation from Meade Post at the W. R. C. Home fired three volleys over the grave of the old soldier.

--------------------------------------

Being myself no stranger to suffering, I have
learned to relieve the sufferings of others.
--- VIRGIL.

DR. CASPER BRUCHHAUSEN.

-----------

    Dr. Casper Bruchhausen was born on the 28th of August, 1806, at Frankfort on the Main, Germany, and came to America in 1836, locating in Philadelphia. In 1839 he commenced the study of homeopathy with Dr. Charles F. HOFFENDAHL, a graduate of the University of Berlin, who removed to Albany in 1840, where Dr. Bruchhausen continued his studies with him. He afterwards pursued his studies with Dr. George W. COOK of Hudson, and subsequently placed himself under the instruction of Drs. Frederick GRAY and A. Gerald HULL, who were then the principal practitioners of the Homeopathic school in New York City. In August, 1842, at the urgent request of Dr. George W. ROBERTS, the pioneer homeopathist of Chenango county, Dr. Bruchhausen went to Greene, and the two practiced in company with mutual benefit until May, 1843, when the latter established himself in Oxford. Here he remained until April, 1848, and then permanently located at Norwich. He was twice married, his second wife was Miss Mary LEONARD of Oxford, who died in Norwich, September 17, 1883. An adopted daughter, Ellen, married Frederick H. BURCHARD of Oxford, and now resides in Norwich. Dr. Buchhausen was an author of considerable poetical ability; many of his poems originally appearing in THE OXFORD TIMES. In 1870 he issued a volume entitled "Rhymes of the Times and Other Chimes." He died in Norwich December 28, 1891, aged 85.

--------------------------------------

The eternal Master found
His single talent well employ'd.
--- JOHNSON.

ELIJAH B. McCALL.

-----------

    Elijah Brewster McCall, born June 22, 1794, at Lebanon, Conn.; died August 6, 1868, in Oxford; married November 19, 1829, in Oxford, Mahetabel SMITH, born April 9, 1807, in Hadley, Mass., died July 14, 1895, in Buffalo. Children:

    ELIZA, died October 30, 1878, at Sayre, Pa. Unmarried.

    JOHN B., married September 3, 1879, Helen L. MORSE, at Norwich; residence, Buffalo. Children: Adrian Morse, Mary Eliza.

    Elijah Brewster McCall was born on a farm, and came, with his father's family, lineal descendants of one who landed at Plymouth Rock from the Mayflower, to Chenango county in 1807. At an early age he taught school and took up civil engineering, or surveying, at which he became quite expert, thoroughly understanding the history of Central New York and Chenango county in particular. He was an early and active participant in the construction of the Chenango canal, and it is said that he once made a survey of the whole line and that the levels proved to be correct when the canal was completed. He also surveyed the Ithaca & Owego R. R., one of the first in the State.

    Mr. McCall was town superintendent of public schools for Oxford for a number of years until the system was changed to school commissioners. He also assisted the students of the old Academy in the practical part of surveying. He was extremely fond of the game of backgammon, and would often be seen in the stores of Cyrus M. BROWN and A. F. BARTLE, indulging in that pastime.

    The barn and office of Mr. McCall was burned March 8, 1853. His entire stock of surveying and engineering instruments, together with a valuable collection of field books and maps of the original surveys of this section of the country, and the records of his own surveys, covering a period of more than thirty years, were destroyed by the flames, involving a loss of $1500, on which there was no insurance.


Man passes away; his name perishes from record and recollection;
his history is as a tale that is told, and his very monument becomes
a ruin. --- IRVING.

GORDON FAMILY.

-----------

    Henry Gordon, born in 1770, was an early resident of Oxford, and settled on and cleared the land now known as the LOBDELL farm. He died June 21, 1820. He married Elizabeth BARTLE, who was born in 1773, and died in 1854.

    Children:

    JOHN, born in 1795; died March 24, 1879; married July 7, 1822, Polly HACKETT, born April 27, 1798, died October 12, 1889. Children: James H., died in 1845; George W., died in 1853; William A.; Mary J., died November 16, 1864; Harriet; Susan, died October 17, 1864; David B., and Charles A.

    HENRY, born in 1797.
    MARGARET, born in 1800; married Artemus HAYNES.
    ERASTUS, born in 1802; died in 1873; married, (1) Hannah ____; married (2) Mrs. Mary Jane (BAKER) BENNETT, by whom he had two children, Etta and Chester.
    SUSAN, born in 1803; died in 1888; married Nehemiah SMITH.
    JEREMIAH, born in 1806.
    ELIZA, born in 1808; married ---- MOREHOUSE.
    DAVID, born in 1810; died 1837.
    MELISSA, born in 1813.


Death borders upon our birth, and our cradle stands in our grave.
--- BISHOP HALL.

REDMOND FAMILY.

-----------

    On the 19th of March, 1851, Owen Redmond and family sailed from Kingston, Ireland, for America on board the "Coronet," a sailing vessel of 1500 tons register, and, after a tedious voyage of eight weeks, arrived in New York City. Mr. Redmond intended to locate in Green Bay, Wis., and came to Oxford to leave his family to rest and recuperate from the strain of the long voyage. His health failed and death closed all his hopes and trials on the 11th of June, 1851. His remains were interred in Riverview cemetery, where his youngest son was laid beside him a few months later.

    Mr. Redmond was born in Ballywalter, County Wexford, Ireland. He married Sarah Newton LETT of Tinnacross, County Wexford, Ireland, who died January 18, 1894, in Greene. Mrs. Redmond, in the time of her deep affliction, found many kind sympathizing friends, among whom were the BALCOMs and HYDEs. In the following October she bought from Henry R. MYGATT, Esq., a farm of 131 acres, now owned by Lazarus GALLAGHER, on which she lived till 1886. The last seven years of her life were spent in Greene with her son Richard. The closing of her life of sad trials was met with courage and the hope for reward in the better land. Children:

    WALTER J., married Margaret McKOON, and still resides in Oxford.
    RICHARD JOSEPH, married M. Clair NOWLAN, resides in Greene.
    KITTIE M., died April 12, 1869, unmarried.
    OWEN, died in infancy.

    Daniel W. Redmond, born in Ballywalter, county Wexford, Ireland; died January 16, 1903, in Oxford, aged 84. Mr. Redmond came to Oxford in June, 1851, the day of his brother Owen's funeral. He had a liberal education, and was a man of large experience, having filled the position of paymaster under the government works during the famine period, after which he was in business as malster and cloth merchant in Garey, Ireland. After coming to Oxford he was engaged as clerk and bookkeeper by CLARK & HAYES, and afterwards by H. R. MYGATT, Esq., and continued in that vocation for various firms while he lived. Mr. Redmond never married.

    John Redmond was born in Ballywalter, County Wexford, Ireland, and came to Oxford in November, 1854. The year following, his brother-in-law, Nicholas SCALLEN, also came and together they bought the SEELEY sawmills, etc., which they worked until failing health obliged them to give up. Mr. Redmond died February 12, 1881, and his wife, Elizabeth SCALLEN, died in 1873.

    Children:
    WALTER J., married (1) Kate MOORE; married (2) Judith CONNERS. Now deceased.
    MARY, married James KEYES; died in 1905.
    LAWRENCE, who followed the sea, died in New York City.
    CHRISTINA, married James DUNN; died in 1906.
    TERESA, married Thomas HORAN, of Eau Claire, Wis., where she died.


Go where glory waits thee;
But, while fame elates thee,
Oh! still remember me.
--- MOORE.

NELSON PURDY.

-----------

    Nelson Purdy, a resident of Oxford for several years previous to 1851, was born in 1819 at Sherburne Four Corners, Chenango county. After learning the carpenter's trade he came to Oxford to follow that occupation. He became identified with the building interests of this place to a great extent, and his first work was on the Methodist church, which he erected. He built a house for himself on Washington avenue, now the home of M. C. LOOMIS, Esq. He also constructed the residences now occupied by Mrs. O. H. CURTIS, Mrs. B. F. EDWARDS, James G. VAN WAGENEN, and Frank T. CORBIN. His wife was Charlotte Rebecca DENISON, daughter of Daniel and Betsey (HUNT) Denison of Oxford, who died August 20, 1895, at Green Spring, Ohio. In 1851 Mr. Purdy moved to Dunkirk, N. Y., and entered into the wholesale lumber business, where he was later joined by his brother-in-law, Charles McNEIL of Oxford. In a year or so Mr. Purdy and Mr. McNeil moved to Cleveland, Ohio, where they continued the same business for a number of years. Mr. Purdy died February 20,1906, in that city, having enjoyed exceptionally good health throughout his lifetime. At the time of his death he was a director of the People's Gas Company, and vice president of the People's Saving and Loan Association, the latter being one of the most prosperous banks in Cleveland.

    Children:
    JOHN NELSON.
    HENRY DENISON.
    HELEN EMMA, died July 14, 1860, aged 6.

--------------------------------------

A man in any station can do his duty,
and doing it, can earn his own respect.
--- DICKENS.

ELIHU COOLEY.

-----------

    Elihu Cooley came to Oxford about the year 1838 from Cooperstown. He was born December 15, 1805, in Laurens, Otsego county, N. Y. He was a descendant of Benjamin Cooley, one of the founders of Springfield, Mass., the descent being, Benjamin, came from England, 1620-1684; Daniel, born in Springfield, Mass., 1651-1727; Benjamin, born in Springfield, Mass., 1716-1753; Barnes, born in Brimfield, Mass., 1748-1844; Samuel, born in Pelham, Mass., 1778-1844; Elihu. His maternal grandfather was Elihu ACKLEY, a Revolutionary soldier. Mr. Cooley was an architect and builder, and an expert in wood carving.

    Mr. Cooley was the builder of the fifth Academy building, and the Methodist church, in which there is a marble tablet containing his name. All the wood carving and fine wood work in St. Paul's church was his handiwork. He had charge at different times of building or improving every church, but one, in town, and many of the old homes contain his handiwork.

    He was a Knights Templar, as was his father and grandfather before him. He married in 1829, Asenath PAYNE, daughter of Edward Payne of Laurens, born in June, 1807; died April 6, 1885, in Oxford. Mr. Cooley died April 17, 1882. His descendants look upon him as a type of the early Puritan, staunch in principle, faithful and conscientious in duty, and stern, but a tender and loving nature. He gave his children a good education, and his eight daughters were graduates of Oxford Academy.

    Children of Elihu and Asenath (PAYNE) Cooley:

    CAROLINE M., born May 5, 1830, in Laurens; married William HAIGHT of Oxford.

    CLARISSA A., born January 4, 1832, in Laurens; died December 29, 1899; unmarried.

    EMELINE M., born October 28, 1834, in Laurens; married Daniel C. WINTON of Morris.

    EDWIN RUTHVIN, died in infancy.

    ADALINE S., born March 14, 1838; died May 28, 1904, in Medford, Oregon; married Judge David van ANTWERP. She was a gifted and fluent public speaker, and was identified with educational and temperance work for many years in Oregon and Nebraska. She was re-elected four times to the office of Superintendent of Public Schools in Nebraska.

    JULIA E., born August 15, 1839, in Oxford; married Virgil D. CARRUTH; resides in California.

    AMANDA C., born February 13, 1843, in Oxford; married Albert SAUNDERS; resides in California.

    LOUISA H., born October 28, 1846; married William MOFFATT of Oneonta.

    ESTELLA M., born January 1, 1848; married James T. LOWRY; resides in St .Paul, Minn.

    CHESTER COLE, born January 5, 1851, in Oxford; died May 6, 1865, in Oxford.


Our duty is to be useful, not according to our
desires, but according to our powers.
--- AMIEL.

REV. HENRY CALLAHAN.

-----------

    Rev. Henry Callahan, born January 5, 1811, at Andover, Mass., came to Oxford June 25, 1850, and was pastor of the Congregational church for the following twelve years. He was prepared for college at the celebrated Philips Academy, at Andover, and graduated from Union College and Andover Theological Seminary. Besides at Oxford he aptly filled pastorates at Niagara Falls and Franklin, N. Y. His residence while here was on Clinton street, now the home of Frank T. CORBIN. In 1862 he was appointed Chaplain of the 114th Regt., N. Y. Vols. A severe illness of fever at New Orleans ruined his health so that a full recovery never followed, and he resigned September 19, 1863. Soon after his return from the army he went to Franklin, where he remained for more than twenty years as pastor and teacher, in the latter position he fitted and prepared many young men for college. He was a friend of all, especially to youth with whom, in social relations, he gained confidence, and with earnest sympathy gave needed assistance. In his home, where a graceful and gracious hospitality always prevailed, and in other homes, he brought the comfort of a bright and tender Christian confidence. Mr. Callahan died at Franklin, February 7, 1888, aged 77. Mrs. Callahan was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jere ALLIS. Their children who grew to manhood were, Edward, Henry White, Robert Carroll.

--------------------------------------

    Jere ALLIS, who, with his wife, resided in Oxford for a number of years from 1850 with his daughter, Mrs. Henry CALLAHAN, nearly reached the century mark before his passing away. His death occurred April 19, 1885, in Franklin, N. Y., at the age of 98 years and nine months. His wife, Mary WHITE Allis, died February 2, 1877, in Milwaukee, Wis., aged 83 years. Mr. Allis had voted at every presidential election from 1807, as Federalist, Whit, and Republican. Rarely favored, through exemption from disease, all his faculties remained alert until the last day of his life. Though in his 99th year his habits of activity continued, and every day he would sit at a chopping block, cutting small pieces of wood for exercise. He did not relinquish his chair until a day or two before his death. His second daughter, Lucy J., married J. T. GILBERT of Milwaukee, Wis., and died there November 12, 1889.

--------------------------------------

Throw not the cross away.
Of it the crown is made.
--- SOLACE.

St. Joseph's Church.

-----------

    St. Joseph's (R. C.) church was erected in the fall of 1849. Mr. James FLANAGAN, the first of the congregation, came to Oxford February 14, 1848, and labored faithfully for the church in this mission. Father James HOURIGAN of Binghamton was the pioneer of Catholicism in this county, his mission embracing the counties of Broome, Chenango, and Cortland.

    Previous to the erection of the church edifice occasional services were held at the residence of Mr. Flanagan, where the first mass in town was celebrated in the fall of 1848. Father Hourgian having appointed the date upon which services were to be held, Mr. Flanagan would notify the people in the neighboring towns, sometimes taking nearly three days to go the rounds. At that time there were five families in Smithville; three in Preston, four in Norwich and only Mr. Flanagan's in Oxford. There was no church, except at Binghamton, and Father Hourigan was the only priest in this mission.

    During the pastorate of Father CALLEN, through his and Mr. Flanagan's exertions, land was purchased for a cemetery of Mr. C. F. T. LOCKE and paid for by the parishioners. After Father Callen came Father McCABE, whose mission embraced Oxford, Sherburne, Hamilton, Cortland, and Solon. He left his charge in April, 1857, to resume the pastorial duties of his former mission at Malone, N. Y., where he met with a shocking death on the 24th of the following November. He had retired for the night and in some way the bed clothes caught fire, burning him to death. The fire was confined to the room and nothing was known of the lamentable affair until the next morning, when his body was discovered. Father McCabe, while a resident of this village, made many friends in and out of his communion.

    In the fall of 1870 repairs were commenced on the church and finished the following spring. The building was moved back, an addition of sixteen feet and a new front put in, the auditorium arched, and stained glass windows added. Following is a list of the clergy in their order: Fathers HOURIGAN, ROACH, CALLEN, McCABE, BRADY, McDERMONT, McANULTY, O'CONNELL, HARRIGAN, FINNERAN, SHAY, CULLEN, HART, MAHON, and PURCELL.

    In 1890 the building now used as a public library was purchased for a rectory, and occupied till the opening of the library, when the present rectory on Scott street was purchased.

--------------------------------------

Unwept, unhonoured, and unsung.
--- SCOTT.

ADOLPHUS B. BENNETT.

-----------

    Adolphus B. Bennett was among those who served his country during the Revolutionary war, soon after the close of which he came to Oxford. Nothing further is now known in regard to him. Children:

    EGBERT, died in Oxford; married Gertrude REICHTMIER, died June --, 1882, in Des Moines, Iowa. Children: Amanda M., born September 18, 1824, in Homer, N. Y.; married Chester C. COLE; Royal; Ransom, married June 21, 1849, Mary Jane BAKER of Utica.

    CATHERINE, married Cyrus TUTTLE; died November 23, 1867.

    NANCY, married Samuel WHEELER.

    ADOLPHUS B., 2d., married Harriet CARY. Child: Charles A., died April 18, 1898, aged 87; married August 30, 1836, Caroline OSGOOD of Preston, died June 6, 1905, aged 93: Children: Adolphus B., 4th, married Margaret ROUSE (children, Charles H., infant, died July 13, 1887; Florence B., teacher in public school, New York City). Charles A., 2d, married Mary A. BALDWIN; (children, Rebecca B., Thomas B.). Adolphus B., moved to Brantford, Canada, and died there.


So with decorum all things carry'd;
Miss frown'd, and blush'd and then
was married.
--- GOLDSMITH.

LEWIS KETCHUM.

-----------

    Lewis Ketchum was born February 14, 1819, at Quaker Hill, Dutchess County, N. Y., and, while yet quite young, came with his parents, Elijah and Anice Ketchum, to Smithville to reside. In 1849 he became a resident of Oxford, having in February of that year bought the Philip BARTLE farm on Panther Hill, where he still resides with his granddaughter, Mrs. Baron GALE. Panther, or "Painter Hill" as it is now commonly called, derives its name from the fact that the last panther in this vicinity was killed on it.

    Emmarilla BARTLE, a comely maid, was a member of Elijah Ketchum's household, and it was not long ere Lewis, then twenty-three years of age, had avowed his love for her. One winter's night, it was the 13th of January, 1842, Thomas S. PURPLE, a justice of the peace, dropped in to spend a social hour with his neighbors. During a lull in the conversation, Lewis spoke up and said:

    "Squire Purple, can you tie a knot with your tongue that you can't untie with your teeth?"

    The 'Squire was not slow in understanding the ardent lover's wants and replied: "That I can, young man. Is it a marriage knot that you want tied?"

    "It is," said Lewis, "and it want it done now and right here."

    "Very well," answered the 'Squire, as he arose from his chair, "you take me by surprise and must wait a short time, that I may get over my confusion."

    "All right, 'Squire, we'll be ready when you are."

    Thus speaking, Lewis crossed the room where Emmarilla was spinning wool on the big wheel, dressed in a light short gown and brown quilted petticoat; her arms were bare, and her hair was gathered away from her flushed cheeks and knotted behind her ears. The wheel was humming a quick measure, and she trod lightly back and forth, the wheelpin in one hand, the other upraised holding the tense, lengthening thread, which the wheel rapidly devoured.

    "Emmarilla," fondly spoke the youthful lover, "put away your work, for this shall be our wedding day."

    "Wait a while, Lewis," was the shy reply, "I want to get my twenty knots before nine o'clock."

    "We'll not wait at all," answered he, and trustingly she placed her hand in his and was led, blushingly, before the Justice.

    By this time 'Squire Purple had overcome his nervousness and soon made them man and wife. The parents of the groom witnessed the simple ceremony and with tearful eyes in heartfelt words gave their blessing.

    On January 13, 1892, after having passed on life's pathway, through winter storms and summer sunshine for half a century. Mr. and Mrs. Ketchum gathered their friends and relatives together and celebrated their golden wedding. On the second day of the following month Mrs. Ketchum passed away at the age of 69 years.

    Children:

    HARRIET, died January 14, 1903; married November 8, 1861, George WEBB of Oxford.
    WARREN E., born September 10, 1850; died in infancy.
    ANICE A., born January 3, 1852; died in infancy.


Of right and wrong he taught
Truths as refin'd as ever Athens heard;
And, strange to tell, he practic'd what he preached.
--- JOHN ARMSTRONG.

BENJAMIN CANNON.

-----------

    Benjamin Cannon was born at Cannonsville, Delaware county, June 11, 1818. He entered Oxford Academy in 1835, where he studied two years, then joined the sophomore class of Union College, graduating in 1840. After finishing his college course, he spent a year in the law office of Judge Amasa J. PARKER at Delhi. He continued his studies with Henry VanDerLyn, in this village, and was admitted to the bar in New York city in 1843. During the next year occurred his marriage with Anna M., daughter of Epaphras MILLER of Oxford. Remaining here in the practice of his profession until 1850, during which time he was appointed Examiner in Chancery, he removed to Cannonsville, named from his father, where he resided until elected County Clerk of Delaware county in 1853, being reelected in 1856. Returning to Cannonsville in 1859, he passed the intervening years until the spring of 1873, when Mr. Cannon came to Oxford, having purchased the WILLCOX residence, now the Memorial Library. He died at the age of 59, on the 19th of December 1877. Children:

    ROBERT M., born April 26, 1848; married December 22, 1881, Antoinette, daughter of Col. George D. WHEELER of Deposit. Has four daughters. Mr. Cannon is vice president of the Albermarle and Chespeake Canal Co., Norfolk, Va. ELIZABETH B., born May 29, 1850; married January 21, 1875, at Oxford, Robert W. ARCHIBALD, now United States Judge at Scranton, Pa. J. LATHROP, died April 7, 1856, in Delhi, aged 4 years. CHARLES B., born March 15, 1856, resides at Cannonsville.


How the Doctor's brow should smile
Crown'd with wreaths of chamomile.
--- MOORE.

MOWRY FAMILY.

-----------

    The Mowrys, formerly spelled MOREY and MORI, are of English stock and descendants of the Earl of Mori. The first of the name to emigrate to America came over in the Mayflower and settled in Providence, R. I., and afterwards some of the family moved to Whitehall, N. Y. Previous to 1806, Dr. Phillip Mowry, his wife Ruth, and six children came to Oxford from the latter place. Dr. Mowry was a tall, spare man, active till within five years of his death, when the dial of time marked 100 years. Mrs. Mowry died at the age of 90 years. Children:
    GEORGE.
    WASHINGTON.

    George Mowry, born October 23, 1796; died October 23, 1823, in Oxford; married June 11, 1809, Sally MANLY of Oxford, born February 26, 1791, died February 26, 1830, in Oxford. Studies and practiced medicine in Oxford, and was very methodical in his ways. He owned and occupied a residence which stood near the present site of the CLARKE block, the grounds extending to the river. He and his wife are buried in the old cemetery on State street. Dr. Mowry was about four feet in height and used two canes when walking, which was seldom. His wife always helped him mount his horse whenever his practice called him any distance, and when fairly astride he made a very odd appearance. His legs and arms were those of a tall man, but his body was very short, in consequence of a curvature of the spine, in those rickets.

    Capt. James THOMPSON of Norwich frequently told an amusing incident in regard to Dr. Mowry, both of whom were members of the Masonic Lodge in this village. Joseph RICHMOND, a neighbor of Capt. Thompson, came with him one night to Oxford to join the lodge. Richmond was an unassuming man and stuttered when embarrassed. After entering the lodge room Capt. Thompson jokingly said to him that when initiated he would see the devil, as his Satanic majesty always took part in the work. At that instant the door opened and Dr. Mowry entered, stooping forward with flowing hair over his deformed shoulders and reaching out his long silver headed canes directly toward them. Richmond jumped up and excitedly exclaimed: "Goo-od God, th-th-there he comes!" The captain was highly amused and could scarcely restrain his laughter as he arose to greet the doctor.

    Dr. Mowry was one of the original members of the Chenango County Medical Society, of which he was the first secretary, an office he held for over fifteen consecutive years.

    Washington Mowry, born April 19, 1777; died May 20, 1859, in Oxford; married Hannah CURTIS, daughter of Deacon Solomon Curtis, who lived on the farm now owned and occupied by Whitman Mowry. Mrs. Mowry was born April 2, 1782; died July 25, 1870, in Oxford. Washington Mowry, when but a lad of 17, selected the land now known as the George ROOT farm, and assisted by his father made a cleaning near a spring and erected a rude house to live in. He continued to clear and improve the land, and when opportunity offered set out many fruit trees, among which were apple, pear, peach, plum, and cherry. As his means increased he built a large and commodious house and numerous barns, and at his death owned a fine farm of 230 acres. He was an inveterate smoker and a man of very few words, aside from matters pertaining to his farm.

    Children of George and Sally (MANLY) Mowry, all of whom were born in Oxford:

    RUTH ELIZA, born August 10, 1810. After her mother's death lived in the family of Deacon Wm. GILE. Died November 7, 1831.

    SALLY CASSANDRA, born January 16, 1812. Lived with family of Dr. CLEVELAND, druggist. Died June 20, 1831.

    GEORGE PHILIP, born January 28, 1814; died June 28, 1885, in Geneva, N. Y.; married Mary RODMAN, who, in 1905, was still living. While a young man clerked in the drug store of Dr. Cleveland in Oxford and later went to Geneva, where he engaged in the drug business with Luther KELLY. Had nine children.

    DeWITT CLINTON, born May 18, 1816, died July 26, 1848, in Middlebury, Ohio; married Rhoda ALLEN of Middlebury. Children: Allen and Henry.

    OCTAVIA ALDRUDA, born September 16, 1818; died July 23, 1877, in Flint, Mich. Lived in the family of Samuel FARNHAM, merchant, for a time and then went to a relative's in Pennsylvania, where she met and married Dr. ---- FISH. They came to Oxford for a three days' visit and then left for Flint, Mich., accompanied by Mrs. Fish's sister, Helena. Children: two sons and two daughters.

    WASHINGTON JEFFERSON, born December 28,1820, is now a resident of Kansas City, Kan. He married in 1850, Mrs. Rhoda (ALLEN) MOWRY of Coventry, Ohio, widow of his brother DeWitt. She died August 23, 1906, at Kansas City, Kan. After the death of his mother Mr. Mowry lived with his uncle, Washington Mowry, four months and then returned home with his aunt, Mrs. Arnold BRIGGS, of Smyrna, who had come to Oxford to attend the funeral of her mother. There he stayed till he was fifteen years old and then returned to his Uncle Washington's in Oxford, remaining till after his twenty-first During this time his uncle never mentioned the name of his brother, the father of his nephew. Becoming tired of farm life, Washington J. drifted westward and located at Akron, Ohio, near where his brother DeWitt lived. Later he engaged in the manufacture of Sarsaparilla beer at New Lisbon, Ohio, and then entered the grocery business at Salem, Ohio, but soon sold out to his partner and returned to New York, where he worked a year and a half for his brother George in Geneva. Still having a fondess for the west, he left Geneva and finally located at Turner Junction, Ill., remaining there twenty years. Here he bought land, built a large house, kept boarders and again entered into the grocery trade. During four years of this time was postmaster at Turner Junction. In 1870, with his family, Mr. Mowry again started west for Kansas City, Mo., but, not liking the place, went to Fort Scott, Kan., where he rented and kept a hotel for ten months, then located at Arkansas City, Kan., having been engaged in farming and hotel business. Of his children but one is now living, Wilmot DeLancy Mowry, who is married and resides in Kansas City, Kan.

    HELENA CORDELIA, born April 10, 1823; died May 14, 1900; married at Flint, Mich., John SUTTON, a merchant tailor. Children: Lell M., married James POTTER, of Flint; George, married and lives in Buffalo, N. Y.; Josephine, married William TENNANT of Saginaw, Mich.

    Children of Washington and Hannah (CURTIS) Mowry, two sons dying in infancy:

    ALMIRA, died April --, 1827; married about 1826, Sylvanus ROOT. Child: George W., married (1) Harriet BOWERS; married (2) Mary J. JACOBS.

    LYDIA, born February 26, 1810; died November 13, 1888; married May 5, 1836, Nicholas WALKER of Oxford. Children: Frances E., born July 15, 1842; married James MURRAY, a native of Scotland, and resides on the old homestead. Washington, born February 27, 1846; died March 20, 1851. Austin G., born May 21, 1849; died July 14, 1895; married Betsey DENT of Greene.

    GEORGE W., born April 25, 1806; died suddenly August 17, 1885, in Oxford; married January 5, 1832, Polly ROOT of Oxford, born April 20, 1802; died August 4, 1886. Children: Bertha Almira, died in infancy; Henry A., born October 30,1834; married Emeretta HUTCHINSON; VanBuren, born December 27, 1839; died November 23, 1890; married Sarah A. WHEELER.

    PHILA, born January 10, 1812; died April 5, 1897; married Elisha DICKINSON.

    SOLOMON C., born February 11, 1814; died January 26, 1886; married December 15, 1836, Abigail C. HAVENS. Children: Sarah M., died in infancy; Whitman R., married Sarah P. WHEELER; Charles L., married Augusta A. BREWER; Sarah C., died March 18, 1849; Curtis S., married Alice L. ROOT.

    ANDREW, born August 4, 1816; died November 7, 1900; married February 27, 1840, Hannah CARHART of Oxford. Children: Lydia M., died in infancy; Narcissa A., married February 26, 1862, Julius WHEELER; Andrew F., died November 16, 1897, married September 27,1869, Jane BLOOMER; Phila A., married June --, 1868, Adelbert SEELEY; Washington E., married October --, 1882, Emma LEWIS.

    WILSON G., born -----, 1824; died June 7, 1888, in Troupsburg, N. Y.; married Lucy A. GREENE.

    ZERUAH, born ----, 1820; died August 19, 1884, in Coventry, N. Y.; married William WALKER.


God's finger touched him and he slept.
--- TENNYSON.

RAY CLARKE.

-----------

    Ray Clarke, who lived on what is now the CONE farm, was born February 13, 1782, at Newport, R. I., and died in 1847 at South Oxford. He married Celia GREENE of Warwick, R. I., born January 10, 1776; died August 9, 1829, at East Greenwich, R. I. In 1825, when traveling in Tennessee, he was overtaken by a heavy storm in the Cumberland Mountains and exposed all night to its fury. This brought on an attack of brain fever, from which he never fully recovered. Among his children were:

    CECELIA GREENE CLARKE, born in 1808; died in 1880; married Judge George A. BRAYTON, Chief Justice Rhode Island Supreme Court for thirty-one years.

    ETHAN RAY CLARKE, born January 10, 1818, at Potowomut, R. I.; married October 29, 1840, Mary E. MILLARD of Warwick, R. I. He was educated at Jamaica Plains, Mass., and inherited property from his grandfather, including a farm in this town. He removed to Oxford in 1840 after his marriage, and entered the ministry in 1851, becoming pastor of the Free Will Baptist church in the east part of the town. He removed to Genesee county in 1856, and, during the Civil war, went as Chaplain of the 1st R. I. Cavalry, and then later the 25th N. Y. Cavalry, serving until 1865. In 1866 he returned to Oxford and remained until 1870, when he removed to Michigan. Children:

    SUSAN CELIA, born in Oxford; married Wm. E. MARWIN of Jersey City.

    ANNA AUGUSTA, born in Oxford; married James P. BOYD of Chicago.

    ISABELLA EMILY, born in Oxford; died April 25, 1888; married Arthur M. MAYHEW.

    MARY ELIZABETH, born at Oxford; married William J. ROSE.

    JESSIE, born October 19, 1849, in Oxford; died November 8, 1864, at Buffalo.

    GEORGE BRAYTON, married Florence J. HOLLEY; residence, Vernon, Mich.

    RAY, born January 13, 1855, in Oxford; died January 6, 1865, at Buffalo.

    WARD GREENE, born January 2, 1859, at Stafford, N. Y. A physician and professor of dental surgery in Rush University, Chicago.

--------------------------------------

His life was gentle; and the elements
So mix'd in him, that Nature might stand up,
And say to all the world, This was a man!
--- SHAKESPEARE.

AMOS A. FRANKLIN.

-----------

    Amos A. Franklin was born in Stonington, Conn., June 27, 1785. He learned the trade of cabinet maker in New London, Conn., and came to Oxford in 1808, where he was active in advancing the interests both of religion and education. He fitted up the upper story of his cabinet shop to make a comfortable place for holding meetings, instituted a flourishing Sunday school, of which he was for many years superintendent. In the long intervals when the Presbyterian church was without a pastor, being too poor to afford continuous support, with the assistance of other members of the church he held meetings , which were well attended, reading some well selected sermons. He was for many years a trustee of Oxford Academy. In company with James A. GLOVER he established in 1829 the Oxford foundry. Mr. Franklin was a member of the State legislature in 1829, was a participator in getting the Chenango canal, at that time considered of great importance to the prosperity of the town, and was one of the special commissioners sent to Albany to look after its success. He was a magistrate in Oxford for about twenty years, and sheriff of the county one term. In 1847 he moved to Wisconsin and assisted in the building up a church in his new home, of which he was ten years a deacon. He died April 14, 1858, in Patch Grove, Wis. He married (1) in October, 1809, Anne HOWE of Springfield, Vt., who died July 12, 1811, aged 21 years. Married (2) in January, 1814, Minerva, daughter of Anson CARY, whose death occurred May 23, 1859, in Patch Grove, Wis.

    Child by first wife:
    STEPHEN.
    Children by second wife:
    HANNAH, married Anson CARY, 2d.
    MINERVA, married Rev. Samuel H. STEVENSON, died January 27, 1872, in Gilman, Ill.
    ANNA.
    SARAH.
    MARY.
    RICHARD.
    AMOS.
    EDWARD.
    BENJAMIN, died October 23, 1843, in Wisconsin, aged 18.


They are soldiers,
Witty, courteous, liberal, full of spirit.
--- SHAKESPEARE.

SHERWOOD FAMILY.

-----------

    Asa T. Sherwood was baptized in Greens Farms, Conn., July 4, 1762; died in Guilford, N. Y., June 18,1834, where he settled when it was a part of Oxford; married Mary PHILLIPS. He was one of those small Connecticut boys who went into the Revolutionary army as soon as he could hold a gun and served seven years. His brothers and sisters, some of whom settled in this section, were: Levi, Elen, Isaac, Abigail, John and Hezekiah, twins, and Hannah. His children were: Isaac, David, William, Asa, Phoebe, Gorham, Sally, and John.

    William Sherwood, third child of Asa T. and Mary (PHILLIPS) Sherwood, was born June 2, 1793, in Greens Farms, Conn.; died May 9, 1875, in Norwich, N. Y.; married Abigail SMITH, of Oxford, born September 18, 1800; died August 21, 1850. William Sherwood served in the War of 1812 and was with General SCOTT at Sackett's Harbor.

    Children, all born in Guilford, N. Y.:

    JAMES W., 1st, born May 5, 1818; died July 20, 1820, in Guilford.

    DAVID L., born September 25, 1819; died suddenly November 8, 1891, in Oxford; married Susan C. PEABODY, died September 22, 1897, in Oxford. Children: Charles W., married Anna ESTABROOK; Frederick, married Hattie JUDD; Emogene, died in Utica, unmarried; Ida, married Charles B. EATON, died in Tacoma, Wash.; Abigail.

    CHARLES S., born February 7, 1822; died August 21, 1900, in Lebanon, Ill.; married Mary J. RILEY.

    NEHEMIAH, born June 22, 1824; died May 21, 1893, in Greene; married Lucy A. RICE, died June 12, 1899, in Greene.

    SOPHRONA A., born April 9, 1827; died November 12, 1896, in Norwich, unmarried.

    NANCY ELIZA, born March 29, 1829; married James H. ALLEN, born in 1822; died February 10, 1898, in Frankfort, N. Y.

    EDMUND T., born February 10, 1831; died October 3, 1895, in Norwich, unmarried.

    EUGENE, born June 18, 1834; married Susan WHITAMORE and resides in Binghamton. Served three years in Civil war.

    JAMES W., born February 7, 1837; married Cordelia T. JUDSON, and resides in Oxford. Served three years in Civil war.

    SUSAN C., born October 7, 1839; unmarried. Resides in Norwich.

    The descent of James W. Sherwood of Oxford come from Thomas Sherwood, who came to America from Ipswich, England, in 1634, is as follows: I. Thomas, II. Isaac, III. Thomas, died August 5, 1756, in Albany, N. Y., where he was in Capt. WHITING's company in the campaign of 1756; IV. John, V. Asa, VI. William, VII. James W.

    The descent of Asa T. Sherwood, on the maternal side, is, I. John HOWLAND, born in 1593 in England. By first wife, said to be a daughter of Gov. CARVER, he had a daughter II. Desire. John Howland was a prominent man in the Plymouth Colony; as governor's assistant, etc., and is named among the first in the list of the Mayflower passengers. Desire, born in 1923, in Plymouth, married Capt. John Gorham, who was a great soldier, and lost his life from disease contracted when fighting the Narragansett Indians. There are several towns named Gorham for him, and Gorham, Maine, has a monument erected to him. He and Desire had III. Jebez, born August 3, 1656, in Barnstable, Mass., who married Hannah (STURGES) GRAY, and and they had a son IV. Joseph, born August 22, 1692. Joseph married Deborah BARLOW, and had V. Mary, who married John Sherwood, and they were the parents of VI. Asa T. Sherwood.

--------------------------------------

Offering to carry weary traveller
His orient liquor, in a crystal glass.
--- MILTON.

ANDREW ACHORN.

-----------

    Andrew Achorn, who had been one of England's "Hessian hirelings," in the war of the Revolution, but who, after being captured with Burgoyne's army, came to know and love the American people, whom, he said, he had been taught to believe were all savages. At the close of the war many of these soldiers remained and settled in the country they had fought against. Achron drifted into South Oxford, where he lived to a good old age, well preserved in the whisky of that day. He was a good mechanic and farmer, and had a large orchard and cider mill which flowed large quantities of cider. It was a place for the tramping Indians and a resort for Abe ANTONE and his band when they went into that neighborhood to hunt. Achron was a gunsmith, having learned the trade in Germany, and did a good business by repairing guns and making steel traps for the Indians. He and Antone were fast friends. When Antone was in hiding, after murdering John JACOBS in Madison county, it was Achorn who secreted and sheltered him until the search in this section was over.


The sun was set; the night came on apace,
And falling dews bewet around the place,
The bat takes airy rounds on leathern wings,
And the hoarse owl his woeful dirges sings.
--- GAY.

WHEELER FAMILY.

-----------

    Of the early history of Hezekiah Wheeler, from whom the whole Wheeler family in this vicinity is descended, little is known. He was probably born and raised in the vicinity of Gloucester, R. I., and spent his youthful days there. He was born about the year 1749 or '50, and was married to Mary WOOD about 1773. Soon after his marriage he enlisted in the Patriot army of the Revolution as a minute man, like every other able-bodied man of that day who was not enrolled in the regular army. The minute men were permitted to remain at home, but were liable to be called out in an emergency on short notice when an invasion took place or when army stores and supplies were to be guarded. At the close of the war Mr. Wheeler settled down on a farm in Gloucester, where, in connection with his farm, he conducted a hotel, which, being on the public highway leading from Gloucester to Providence, and being withal a genial landlord and a popular man, he soon amassed a fair competence.

    On the 8th of October, 1813, Mr. Wheeler came to Oxford, where some of the family had already preceded him. During this year he had had a protracted illness which nearly cost him his life, but on the 27th of September his health having improved, he with his wife, and Nicholas SMITH, wife and child, started on the long and tedious journey to join their friends in the then famous "Chenango county." Their progress, necessarily slow, was a part of that general trend of New England blood toward the setting sun, which so markedly characterized the early part and middle of the last century, and took place at the time when it was going "out west" to go into New York State.

    Their friends became very much alarmed and anxious at their failure to arrive on the day expected, and, on October 8, Nehemiah Wheeler and Arnold PHETTEPLACE started out to find trace of them. Passing through Rockdale, Mt. Upton, up the Butternut creek and through Gilbertsville, without any tidings, they continued the search until near Morris the travelers were discovered slowly approaching. After joyful greeting had been exchanged the journey toward their destination was resumed which would consume many hours. Night fell, the wolves howled, and terror began to exert its sway as they passed beneath hemlock trees whose heavy boughs overhung their journey's path. Late in the evening they reached their journey's end, the log house of Eddy PHETTEPLACE, the husband of their daughter Anna, where a warm fire of crackling logs and a warmer greeting introduced them to their western home.

    The farm where Mr. Wheeler located is now owned by Nelson TURNER. During the fall of 1827 it became evident that his earthly pilgrimage was drawing to a close, and that he with his companion of so many years were soon to be numbered with the departed. On January 8, 1828, his spirit took flight into the great unknown. Mrs. Wheeler was too ill to be informed of her husband's death, and on the following day, after an interval of twenty-seven hours, their spirits were reunited. They were both buried in one grave at the Gospel Hill cemetery in Guilford. Children:

    HEZEKIAH, born November 6, 1775; died February 26, 1779.

    MARY, born September 10, 1777, in Gloucester, R. I.; died January 7, 1863, in Providence, R. I.; married Oliver WADE of Gloucester, R. I., born June 4, 1773; died May 8, 1853, in Providence, R. I. Children: Susan, born April 4, 1795; died January 16, 1882; married Asaph SMITH. Wheeler, born October 2, 1796; died June 22, 1809. Nancy, born May 1, 1800; died July 8, 1887. Deborah, born December 25, 1804; died January 16, 1884. Sarah B., born February 21, 1807; died May 11, 1880. Violetta, born May 8, 1808; died October 23, 1893. Nathaniel, born April 19, 1811; died September 20, 1841. Mary M., born July 19, 1813; died November 27, 1902. Paris, born January 19, 1816; died March 28, 1854. Serrie, born November 28, 1821; died October 19, 1872.

    ANNA, born December 17, 1779, in Gloucester, R. I.; died October 10, 1859, in Springfield, Pa.; married April 20, 1796, Eddy PHETTEPLACE of Gloucester, R. I., born February 29, 1776, in Gloucester; died August 15, 1861, in Springfield, Pa. Mr. and Mrs. Pheteplace settled in Oxford in 1811, but in April, 1813, the town of Guilford, then called Eastern, was set off from Oxford, which made them residents of Guilford. Children: Arnold, born June 8, 1798; died in Sabona, Ill. Mary, born August 31, 1800; died August 10, 1871, in Wisconsin. Isaac, born April 27, 1802; died May 12, 1815. Minerva, born November 18, 1804; died December 31, 1841, in Oxford. Eddy W., born April 21, 1808; died about 1898 in Jamestown, N. Y. David T., born February 13, 1800; died February 18, 1868, in Wisconsin. Hezekiah, born July 11, 1812; died May 20, 1891, in Chautauqua, N. Y. Anne, born May 16, 1815; died May 8, 1892, in Wisconsin. William, born January 4, 1818; died November 23, 1883, in Michigan. Eli, born June 6, 1821; died June 29, 1865, in the army. John, born July 18, 1823.

    HENRY, born February 26, 1782, in Gloucester, R. I.; died October 24, 1855. Married Naomi PHILLIPS, born June 10, 1784; died March 9, 1874. Children: Nehemiah, born July 23, 1802; died June 29, 1872; married Fanny BURLISON; (children, Lee, Hezekiah, Nathan, Willis, Peter, Nehemiah, Minerva, Lily.) Thomas, born December 13, 1803; died June 4, 1875; married (1) Alma STEAD; married (2) Charity, widow of Stephen STEAD; (child by first wife, Angel S.). Jeremiah, born December 21, 1805; died May 11, 1864; married Almira BROWN; (children, Orrin, Andrew, John, George, Eddy, Elizabeth). Anna, born November 26 ,1807; died February 22, 1839; married Gardner WADE. Hezekiah, born December 4, 1809; died March 29, 1816. Henry, born November 18, 1811; died May 14 1902; married (1) Miranda* SHAPLEY; married (2) Emma LAMB; (children by first wife, Maria, married Devillo HALLETT; David, married Janette KNIGHT; Julius, married Narcissa MOWRY; Thomas, married Lydia E. DICKINSON; Sarah, married VanBuren MOWRY. (child by second wife, Julia M., married George HOVEY). Naomi, born February 1, 1814; died June 7, 1901; married John SHAPLEY; (children, Martha, Hannah). Luke, born January 27, 1816; died January 23, 1860; married (1) Sarah EVANS; married (2) Pamelia GRAY; married (3) Mary Ann GRAY; (children by second wife, Jirah, married Janette SMITH; Sarah, married Whitman MOWRY; Gerritt, married Hattie HOVEY). Rufus, born April 2, 1818; died July 27, 1896, in Whitney Point; married Elizabeth WILLCOX; (children, Nancy, married Abram COXE; Priscilla, married (1) Silas ROGERS; married (2) Samuel ROUNDS; John P., married (1) Lottie SMITH; married (2) Mrs. Carrie CLINE; Mertie died young). Mary, born February 27, 1820; died April 28, 1888; married Reuben PEARSALL; (child, Edgar A., married Marietta MOON). Philip, born July 31, 1823; died October 11, 1878; married Lavina SCOTT; (children, Anna, married Joseph BAKER; Randall, married Marilla STEAD). Nancy, born January 16, 1827; died October 28, 1839.

    SUSANNA, born October 17, 1786, in Gloucester, R. I.; died August 19, 1858, in Guilford, N. Y.; married Nicholas SMITH, son of Perigrine Smith of Gloucester, R. I.; came to Oxford October 8, 1813. Children: Mary, born December 29, 1811, in Rhode Island; died August 3, 1891, in Pennsylvania. Susan, born December 31, 1813, in Oxford; died December 31, 1847, in Guilford. Isaac P., born November 18, 1815, in Oxford; died May 25, 1875, in Pennsylvania. George, born December 18, 1817, in Oxford; died February 3, 1848, in Guilford. James W., born March 1, 1820, in Oxford; now resides in Bainbridge. Miranda, born November 16, 1822, in Oxford; died February --, 1825, in Oxford. William H., born April 6, 1827, in Oxford; died January 31, 1899, in Guilford. Elvira O., born September 8, 1830, in Guilford.

--------------------------------------

The introduction of noble inventions seems to hold by far the most
excellent place among human actions. --- BACON.

The Chenango Foundry.

-----------

    The Oxford Foundry was established in April, 1829, as the Chenango foundry, by Amos A. FRANKLIN and James A. GLOVER. They introduced the first steam engine into this town, and were the first establishment of the kind west of the Hudson river to use steam power. They carried on the business a few years, when Levi CHUBBUCK and Erastus MILLER became associated with Mr. Franklin. The business was continued a short time under the name of A. Franklin & Co., when E. P. WILLCOX became a partner and the first name was changed to Franklin, Willcox & Co., who operated it three years. Messrs. Franklin and Miller then withdrew, and the remaining partners continued under the name of Chubbuck & WILLCOX. On the 28th of August, 1846, the foundry, then owned and occupied by E. P. Willcox, took fire and, with the plow shop and warehouse attached, was entirely consumed. Only a portion of the plows, stoves, etc., were saved. The loss was several thousand dollars. The shop was rebuilt and Mr. Willcox continued the business in connection with a hardware store till March, 1859, when he sold to George RECTOR and Eli WILLCOX, who, on the 29th of October, 1860, dissolved partnership, Mr. Rector purchasing the entire interest of Mr. Willcox. In January, 1868, Mr. Rector disposed of the foundry to James M. EDWARDS, and the hardware store to Messrs. RAYMOND & MILLER. Mr. Edwards did a general machine and foundry business till November 23, 1883, when early on that morning the foundry, together with all the machinery, patterns, etc., was again destroyed by fire, nothing being saved. Loss about $5000, with an insurance of $2500. The wood shop was saved. The foundry has never been rebuilt. The building was constructed of stone and was about 40 by 62 feet, two stories high, and stood upon the same foundation as the one burned in 1846, which was only one story high.

--------------------------------------

    The Oneida Annual Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church was held in this village in August, 1842, and nearly 200 ministers were in attendance. Bishop HEDDING was present and presided with ease, dignity, and dispatch. On Sunday, during the conference, ten elders and seventeen deacons were ordained.


In life there are meeting which seem
Like a fate.
--- OWEN MEREDITH.

JACOBS FAMILY.

-----------

    Cornelius Jacobs, born in 1720 in Holland, came to America at a very early age with his parents. In the same vessel that brought them over was a family from France, whose name is now lost to history. This French family had a daughter nearly the age of Cornelius. On landing in New York the two families traveled together to a point in Dutchess county, N. Y. The infants were placed in baskets, slung over the back of a horse and thus made the journey to their new home in America. In later years they again met, renewed their acquaintance and married. Mr. Jacobs died January 22, 1805, in Dutchess county. Their children were: LEWIS, who went to Vermont at an early day and became lost to the family. ISRAEL, born in 1744, lived most of his life in Westchester county; at an advanced age he came to Oxford to reside with his nephew, who was his namesake, and died July 23, 1832, unmarried. CORNELIUS, JR., born May 19, 1754, in Westchester county; died April 18, 1811, in Durham, Greene county, N. Y.; further mention of Cornelius, Jr., is made below.

    One incident is related in regard to Cornelius, Sr. He was accustomed to say grace at the table in the most reverent manner. One day during the ceremony the family cat took a notion to sharpen her claws upon his leg. Dressed in his knee breeches and long thin stockings, it proved a very severe experience, and the well-known formulary could scarcely be finished, when he shouted in wrath, "Rabbit the cat!"

    Cornelius Jacobs, Jr., married about 1784 Elizabeth LYON at North Castle, Westchester county, N.Y., born July 8, 1764; died September 27, 1848, in Oxford. She was a girl of twelve years when General HOWE gained possession of New York. Cornelius was in the Revolutionary war, having enlisted at its commencement and serving to the end. He was one of the body guard of General WASHINGTON, and as he was a light man and a bold rider, was employed in carrying dispatches. The service required skill in horsemanship, tact, daring, integrity, and great power of endurance. During the entire war he held this position, a perilous and arduous one that took him much of the time from camp, and during the seven years was never in a battle. At the close of the war he was paid in Continental money, nearly worthless, and went back to begin life in empty handed poverty at 35 years of age. In April, 1811, Mr. Jacobs found himself with a large family struggling with poverty and anxious for the future. Finally it was decided that they leave Dutchess county, where they were residing, and start for the west and locate in the "Chenango country." Accordingly he started on horseback, leaving his wife to pack the household goods and stow them away so that an incoming tenant could have the house. The Catskill turnpike had been opened a few years previous, a thoroughfare of great interest to the people of the Hudson valley. Over this Mr. Jacobs traveled and in the course of a few days arrived at the home of his brother-in-law, David LYON who had located above Oxford in 1792, on the brook now known by his name. The only place he could find for his family was a part of a log cabin in the woods a few rods east of what was so long known as the VanDerLyn farm in South Oxford. After a few days he started on the return trip for his family, who were waiting in suspense, and when in the town of Durham, about thirty-five miles from home, he became seriously ill. After lingering between hope and fear, striving in the meantime to get word to his wife, he died before she could reach him. Here began the struggle of a heroic woman and mother, whose strong character appears in bold relief shining out from the early history of the town. She had nothing to do but return and face the rayless night that had settled upon her surroundings. The widow of one week with the assistance of two sons, aged 17 and 15, turned her face toward Oxford. The children and goods were put into two wagons and the journey commenced in the last week of April, 1811. Six days were consumed in their pilgrimage, that is now compassed in about as many hours. Reaching Oxford, the children and goods were placed in the rude cabin, which soon became home with all its sacred attachments. After a struggle of two years they were forced to move into another log house in the vicinity of the river bridge at South Oxford, working the land on shares for a year. The family then moved on to the Roswell ENOS farm, one mile above the village, where toil and economy brought more of the comforts of home and more experience to the boys. Their father had at the close of the war drawn a "soldier's right" of 160 acres, situated at Auburn, N. Y., but thought of it very little value and sold it for a horse, saddle, and bridle. Thus throwing away a golden opportunity.

    In a short time his sons were old enough to go into the woods in "the Deserts," and then and there commenced a struggle for a home, clearing the land, purchasing the title and living at the same time. But few can realize the hard times experienced by the pioneers following the war of 1812. The year 1816 was called the year without a summer. The year following was nearly as bad. Mrs. Jacobs and her family were near the famine state and at the same time endeavoring to pay for the land at $5.50 per acre. But perseverance and sturdy hearts won the battle and homes for the children, some of whom had grown into rugged men and women.

    Children of Cornelius and Elizabeth (LYON) Jacobs:

    MARY, born June 25, 1786; died April 10, 1879; married May 25, 1811, Stephen LAKE, born June 20, 1786; died November 12, 1857.

    SUSAN, born November 22, 1788; died March 1, 1852; married Eber ISBELL.

    ISRAEL, born April 26, 1791; died July 29, 1857; married (1) in 1810 Jane ANDERSON, born February 3, 1787; died April 19, 1848; married (2) June 11, 1849, Mrs. Julia KINNEY, born January 5, 1813; died February 1, 1881.

    THOMAS, born October 13, 1793; died February 18, 1875; married October 6, 1816, Phebe A. STRATTON, born July 17, 1798; died February 15, 1883. Children: Alfred S., born December 8, 1817; married Laura HOLLADAY; (children, Amanda, died in infancy; Luancy H., married John H. GIFFORD; Alvine, married Alice H. SWEET; Alice, married T. G. STANTON; Charles H., married Lucina E. SWEET; Agnes A., married Thomas J. ROOT). Susan Ann, born April 1, 1820, married George DAVIDSON. Thomas H., born July 21, 1822; married Nancy HOLLADAY; (children, Francis H., married DeETTA RATHBONE; John P., married Louisa RATHBONE). Alvin, died in infancy. Harriet C., born December 25, 1825; married Laman PEARSALL. Peter G., born June 22, 1828; married Caroline FERRIS; (children, Carrie L., married William T. KELSEY; William K., married Mrs. Ella GRAVES EDWARDS; Mary F., married Asa P. HYDE. Harriet C.). Austin, died in childhood. Darwin, born September 19, 1833; married Tamer E. WESSELS; (child, Albert J.). James A., born November 13, 1835; died November 24, 1856; unmarried.

    CORNELIUS, born February 28, 1796; died December 21, 1872; married November 13, 1824, Ann BALDWIN, born December 21, 1801; died November 26, 1867. Children: John, born August 16, 1825; married Catherine HEALY. Daniel B., born October 28, 1827; married Jerusha A. HINMAN. Israel, born September 22, 1831; married Sarah E. HULL. James E., born August 5, 1836; married Catherine NORRIS.

    WILLIAM G., born May 28, 1798; died in infancy.

    ELIZA ANN, born January 28, 1800; died July 24, 1885; married January 1, 1817, William STRATTON, born August 13, 1795; died January 7, 1879.

    WILLIAM LYON, born July 21, 1802; died April 6, 1876; married Phila GIFFORD, born November 17, 1807; died October 13, 1886. Children: Jane E., married Henry RACE. Three children died in infancy.

    GEORGE ALVIN, born January 22, 1895; died May 27, 1848; married January 31, 1830, Elnora ADAMS, died July 18 1880. Children: Susan, Jane A., Vashti, George.

    JAMES H., born May 1, 1807; died June 23, 1884; married November, 1833, Sarah MILLER, born July 31, 1813; died February 27, 1905. Children: Zeruah E., born August 2, 1834. Mary J., born November 18, 1836. Israel P., born May 25, 1839; married (1) Lisetna DeF. BRAZEE; married (2) Emma HAYWARD. S. Elexey, born May 30, 1841; married N. D. BARTLE. James, born May 21, 1843; married Sarah J. BUNNEL. Ann B., born May 22, 1847; married Wheaton RACE.

    EDWIN T., born January 16, 1809; died August 1, 1889, at Pitcher, N. Y.; married (1) September 23, 1832, Mary Ann NOBLE, born November 23, 1811; died June 19, 1881; married (2) March 28, 1888, Mrs. Martha L. DARRANCE. Children by first wife: Infant son; Ira D., in Civil war and died September 19, 1863, at Folly Island, S. C.; Edwin T., Jr.

    Edwin T. Jacobs was for many years a prominent Baptist minister and well known in this section of the State. In an article prepared for the writer in 1888 he stated:

    From the Indian trail to the iron rail; from the pine knot blaze to the electric light; from the trammel and crane to the kitchen range; from the saddle to the Pulman car; from the power of muscle to the power of steam. These are notches on the tall stick of time. Measured by epochs of by-gone ages they seem but the brief steps of childhood, but taking the vast changes and wonderful progress in human events, they seem like the tread of a giant. The hardy woodman and his family found that suffering and progress were inseparable, that self-denial is the price of everything valuable in human attainment, and that labor is the force of that time.

    How well I remember the old round table turned up against the wall. We looked forward very impatiently to the time when it was drawn out, turned down and a pin inserted to keep it in place. Then the tin basins were placed in a circle to the number corresponding with the hungry mouths, and filled with milk if there was enough, if not the balance was supplied with water. Mother was a very practical woman with a vast amount of inventive genius. Young ladies and gentlemen, these are the days of fine arts, but the coarser arts were studied then in the hard school of necessity.

    At that time there were no schools as at present and no church privileges, nor a church edifice in the county. A road was cut through the woods east from Coventry station, and it was a saying that Sunday only went up as far on that road as a certain rock, all beyond was no Sunday. But

The groves were God's first temples. Ere men learned
To hew the shaft, and lay the archtrave,
And spread the roof above them.

    The writer has often attended services in a barn and sat "up gallery" on the scaffold or on the hay mow, the only cushioned seats, and watched the old white-haired minister as he waded through his sermon of an hour and a half, pausing when half through to take a pinch of snuff. Conventional rules were dispensed with, and so was his coat in very warm weather. Bu the question of bread could not be dispensed with , though broadcloth and brass buttons might. There is nothing like a boy's appetite except it is a girl's. After bread came clothing. Richard ARCKWRIGHT had taught the world the art of spinning by machinery, but in the backwoods of America every yard of cloth needed for clothing was the product of home manufactures. The little wheel, the big wheel, the distaff and reel, and the old loom in the corner were always called into requisition. No power loom had then been invented, but behind these rude implements of domestic art was the power of a mother's love. The hands that held the distaff, turned the wheel and pressed the lathe never struck for wages. I wish some artist could reconstruct that old kitchen with the trammel and lug-pole, the bake-kettle on the hearth, the frying pan held by its long handle over the blazing fire, and a lot of hungry boys and girls waiting for the Indian loaf or flapjacks. The artist must not omit the "old wooden rocker." Then in that relic of the by-gone days, clasped in the loving arms and pressed to the warm heart of that best of mothers, my childish tears have often been dried and the rough passages of life made smooth.

    The only question about clothing was where to find the wool and flax. Sheep are not found in the wilderness, though wolves may be, and it was sought among the older farmers on the river, then worked up "at the halves," making the labor double. How well I remember my first jacket and trousers. They were made of green flannel, and how anxiously the process of making was watched. At last they were finished and submitted to the inspection of the household. The next Sunday morning was bright and beautiful. Invested in the suit I was a boy enlarged, elongated, bifurcated! Life and the nineteenth century were opening grandly. But a change came over the spirit of my dreams and the first great downfall of my life awaited me-I fell into the slop pail. And now to see that new suit, the pride of the household, and the triumph of a mother's skill, drawn out of the ruins with the remains of a boy in it. Do you wonder that after almost 80 years it is called to mind. It was the first thing I do remember, and the last thing to be forgotten.

--------------------------------------

He stands erect; his slouch becomes a walk,
He steps right onward, martial is his air,
His form and movement.
--- COWPER.

BLISS WILLOUGHBY.

-----------

    Bliss Willoughby, son of Joseph and Bridget (WICKWIER) Willoughby, was born in New London county, Conn., February 22, 1767. When sixteen years of age he enlisted in the Revolutionary army, and served the last six months of the war. While in service he marched three days without food, and the last night, coming to a place where cattle had been slaughtered, found a paunch, which he emptied and washed in a nearby creek, and with five companions ate it with a keen relish. When he laid down to rest he slept soundly through the night, and awoke in the morning to find himself under a half acre of water, a heavy rain having set it. Mr. Willoughby was not in any general battle, but while on a march came to a place where the British were brining buildings, who hastily took to their boats, but before they could get out of gun shot distance he saw many of them fall into the water. After being discharged and paid off he started for home, finding that it took $30 of Continental money to buy a meal of victuals. He had but little schooling, only three months in two winters. He lived on a farm in Westchester county for a short time, when he moved to the farm now owned by GRIFFIN Bros., in Preston, February 23, 1800, where he had bought 600 acres of land. He was on the road eighteen days, finding the snow four feet deep in the forests. Here he remained till after the war of 1812, when he was forced to leave, being unable to make payments. He then lived a few years on the farm now owned by Lazarus GALLAGHER, and then bought the place, now known as the Willoughby farm, on the road from Oxford to Guilford, where he lived until his death, which occurred May 31, 1849. He married April 20, 1791, Fanny PATTON, born January 10, 1768; died February 7, 1815. Children:

    NANCY, born April 25, 1792; married in Preston James ASHCRAFT of Connecticut.

    DAVID P., born in Mottville, Conn., April 20, 1794; died February 21, 1883; married in 1818 Charlotte McNEIL of Oxford, who died December 29, 1891, aged 93. Soon after their marriage they moved into the south part of the town, settling upon a farm which they cleared and lived upon for over forty years. In 1862 they removed to the west side of the river in South Oxford to reside with their son. They united with the Oxford and Greene Baptist church in 1837, and for a period of sixty-five years enjoyed married life. Children: John Bliss, married Mary Ann RACE; (children, Marcia, married David BARTLE; Rector, married Rosalia STRATTON; Chester, married Emma STRATTON). Sarah Maria, died April 29,1906, in Binghamton; married Albert JEWELL.

    LEVI C., born March 9, 1796; married Nancy BLACK; lived and died in Ohio.

    MARGARET P., born February 4, 1799; died January 13, 1815.

    JOHN B., born January 16, 1802; died May 23, 1885; married May 3, 1829, Nancy SHAPLEY, born in 1806; died October 19, 1897. They resided on the homestead farm during the remainder of their lives. Children: Francis E., married Janette E. ROOT; residence, Rockford, Ill. William D., born February 10, 1833; married September 181, 1861, Lucy E. WILLCOX of Preston; until 1889 he resided on the homestead, when he moved in the village. John H., born in 1842; died in 1891; married L. Louise WOODRUFF.

    ELIZA P., born August 17, 1804; married Samuel EDDY.

    LUCRETTA, born June 24, 1807, in Preston, N. Y.; married February 21, 1836, George N. HAVENS of Oxford.

    WILLIAM D., born January 2, 1811; died April 11, 1832, in Oxford; unmarried.

--------------------------------------

I shall show the cinders of my spirits
Through the ashes of my chance.
--- SHAKESPEARE.

IRA WILLCOX.

-----------

    Ira Willcox was born in Durham, Greene county, N. Y., August 22, 1788. He commenced business in the county of his birth, where he resided till 1812, when he removed to Norwich, and soon after made his home in Oxford, where he lived, until his death, thirty-nine years. On coming to this village he opened a store in the vicinity of Washington park. In 1833 he built the brick block on Fort Hill, continuing the mercantile business until 1840, when he retired. Mr. Willcox was a member of Assembly from this county in 1831, and in 1830 was elected president of the Bank of Chenango in Norwich, which place he continued to fill while he lived. He was a large, fine looking man, weighing 200 or more pounds; of strong mind, great energy of character and of persevering industry. These qualities soon enabled their possessor to acquire a fortune. Mr. Willcox, while on a southern trip, died at Jacksonville, Florida, November 29, 1852, aged 64. He married Rachel AUSTIN September 22, 1813, who was born at Durham, N. Y., September 22, 1793, and died at Oxford July 31, 1817. On February 20, 1819, he married Lucy WILLCOX, who was born at Chatham, Conn., October 28, 1793, and died at Oxford January 22, 1873, aged 79, after suffering from consumption for a quarter of a century. His children were:

    CHAUNCEY A., who died at Oxford September 14, 1817.

    MARY ELIZABETH, a gifted and cultured lady, who only reached the age of 19, dying on July 31, 1838.

    ANN AUGUSTA, for many years prominent in religious and social life, of a most friendly and generous spirit. Her last years were fraught with disease and suffering; she died at Philadelphia November 8, 1885, aged 70 years. She married Nathan B. WILLCOX February 10, 1842, who died at Whitesboro, N.Y., February 7, 1854. Two daughters survive: Mrs. Theresa B., Zueliz, and Mrs. Charlotte COMBS of Philadelphia.

    Ira Willcox's store on Fort Hill was the principal one in the town, and he had an ashery on one of the streets leading to the Lackawanna station. At that day Chenango county was new and cleared lands scarce, except along the river. He purchased large quantities of ashes gathered from the fallows at six cents per bushel, put them into leaches, made lye and boiled it down to black salts, transporting them to Catskill, from there by sloops to New York, where they were sold and the proceeds returned in goods to his store. After a time he built ovens and pearled the salts into pearl ash, which lessened the weight and increased the value. Farmers from around the country would drive wagons loaded with salts, pearl ash, etc., to Catskill, taking a week to make the round trip. They returned with all kinds of merchandise. For two years Mr. Willcox purchased large quantities of oats at fifteen to eighteen cents a bushel, potatoes at twelve cents a bushel, and butter at six cents a pound, loaded them in arks, constructed of rough planks put together tightly, made on the bank of the river near the store, and when the spring freshets came floated down the perilous tide to a southern market. The first year he had the good luck to pass safely down the rapid stream, but the second year he stove up in endeavoring to pass a bridge near Harrisburg and lost heavily, everything being washed down the river. This was the last of the ark business on the Chenango.

--------------------------------------

Our human laws are but the copies, more or less imperfect, of
the eternal laws, so far as we can read them.
--- FROUDE.

Village By-Laws in 1810.

-----------

    The following extracts from the village by-laws are copied from the Chenango Patriot of September 11, 1810:

AT A MEETING

Of the Trustees of the Village of OXFORD, convened at the dwelling house of Erastus PERKINS, innholder, in said Village, on the 6th day of September, 1810, the following BYE-LAWS and RESOLVES were ordained and established.

Sec. I. BE IT RESOLVED BY THE TRUSTEES OF THE VILLAGE OF OXFORD, IN LEGAL MEETING CONVENED, That in addition to the officers particularly defignated by the act of incorporation, there fhall be elected by the Truftees, when it fhall by them be thought expedient, a Vice-President, a Secretary, and not lefs than two or more officers, to be defignated by the name of Ediles. * * * The duty of the Ediles fhall be to execute all laws relating to the improvement of the ftreets, allies and fquares, all laws relating to nuifances, all laws relating to eliquencies under the fifth and fixth fections of the bye-laws, and fhall alfo be pound keepers.

    Sec. II. BE IT ALSO RESOLVED, That all meetings of the Truftees hereafter to be had shall be warned by the Prefident, giving four hours perfonal notice, or three days public notice in writing, fet up on one of the pofts of the central arch of the bridge; and that all extraordinary meetings of the free-holders and inhabitants of faid village fhall be warnned by the Prefident, giving eight days like notice, or publifhing the fame in fome newfpaper printed within the village, giving not lefs than five or more than eight days notice. * * *

    Sec. IV. AND WHEREAS it is at all time convenient that the village location be marked with accuracy and diftinctnefs, to prevent ambiguity in reference to be made in any bye-law or refolve of the Board of Truftees touching the fame, BE IT THEREFORE ORDAINED, That that part of the village fub-allotted and plotted by Doctor Jofiah STEPHENS, lying on the fourth-eaft fide of Chenango-river, a plan of which is appended to his truft deed executed to the Prefident and Directors of the Chenango Turnpike Road Company, fhall in the number of lots, the names of fquares and ftreets, be and the fame is hereby eftablifhed. That the ftreet running parallel with the Chenango river on the weft fide thereof, fhall for ever hereafter be known by the name of Water-ftreet; that the Public Square on the north-weft fide of the river, and between Water-ftreet, and the river fhall forever hereafter be known by the name of Market-Square; that the ftreet running from Market-Square weft-north-wefterly, commonly known by the name of the State Road, be fore ever hereafter called and diftinguifhed by the name of Cayuga ftreet.

    Sec. V. Swine, Geefe, and ducks fhall not be fuffered to go at large within the village, and if any fush are found it fhall be the duty of the Ediles or any one of them, to caufe the fame to be impounded, and the Edile fo impounding the fame fhall immediately thereafter caufe a notification thereof to be up on one of the pofts of the central arch of the bridge. * * *

    Sec. XI. AND WHEREAS it is important both to the convenience and fafety of the citizen, that no obftruction be interpofed to the fafe paffage over the Chenango- bridge in faid village, BE IT RESOLVED, That no individual or individuals fhall be fuffered at any time hereafter to ufe the faid bridge as a log way, or to lay or depofit thereon any log, logs, or timber of any kind. * * *

    Sec. XII. BE IT ALSO RESOLVED, That as soon hereafter as the treafury fhall be in a fituation competent to difburfe the neceffary expenfe, and on the order of the Prefident, the Ediles fhall caufe Main-ftreet, from the houfe of Uri TRACY, efquire, to the bridge, Greene-ftreet, as far as the Academy, Academy-Square, Merchant's Row, Fort Hill Square, Market Square, Water-ftreet from the houfe of Anfon CARY, efquire, to the house now occupied by John B. JOHNFON, and Cayuga-ftreet to the fchool-houfe, to be lined with lombardy populars or other ornamental trees.

    Sec. XIV. WHEREAS ALSO, the firing of guns in the public ftreets and fquares of the village is a boyifh paftime, not unfrequently attended with great mifchiefs and hazard to the citizen, the fame is hereby prohibited. * * *

    Sec. XIX. The foregoing bye-laws fhall be immeditely printed in the Chenango Patriot and fhall go into operation the firft day of October, one thoufand eight hundred and ten, and not before.

By order of the Trustees,
THOMAS BUTLER, PRESIDENT

--------------------------------------

When I . . . . .
. . sleep in dull cold marble,
. . . . . . . . .
Say, I taught thee.
--- SHAKESPEARE.

DAVID G. BARBER.

-----------

    David G. Barber, A. M., born February 19, 1817, in Fort Ann, N. Y.; died December 1, 1899, in Oxford; married September 22,1841, Milicent E. GRISWOLD of New Berlin, born August 9, 1819, died December 6, 1901, in Oxford.

    Mr. Barber was born on a farm, but in early life developed a desire for an education, which was obtained in the district schools, at the old Academy at Hamilton, and at Oxford Academy, then under the charge of Prof. Merrit G. McKOON. He first taught in Litchfield, N. Y., and then in other district schools until he located at South New Berlin, where he taught a select school for several years. From there he went to Norwich and taught in the Academy, returning to South Berlin, and in 1859 took charge of Oxford Academy as principal, a position he held eleven years. No teacher in the long list of instructors in the Academy, the history of which covers more than a century, ever had the love and respect that Prof. Barber commanded. He was gentle, kind, and patient, harsh words and forcible methods were unknown, and his school was a model of good order and earnest work on the part of his pupils. The Academy, during his principalship, enjoyed a successful season, and was largely attended. A large number of prominent business and professional men throughout the country, "my boys," as he was accustomed to call them, owe their success in life to the teachings and moral principals instilled into their minds by Prof. Barber of Oxford Academy. His mild, persuasive powers won that love and respect for him that can never be forgotten. In recognition of his successful work as an instructor Madison University, now Colgate, conferred upon him, in 1855 the honorary degree of Master of Arts. Years previous he was made a town superintendent of schools, an office now extinct, a position he held three years. In 1870 he was elected school commissioner for the second district of Chenango county on the Democrat ticket, and resigned the principalship of the Academy. He held the office for three successive terms, and conducted its affairs faithfully. On his retirement from official duties he lived a quiet life in his pleasant home just above the village, and died commanding the respect of the community. In accordance with his expressed wish a gold-headed cane, presented to him by his pupils while in the Academy, was placed in the casket and buried with him in Riverside cemetery.

    Children:
    ELIZABETH FREELOVE, died in infancy.
    ZORADA, married Rev. Lewis HALSEY; died January 2, 1900, in Phoenix, Ariz.
    CAROLINE, married George S. KEYES.
    AZALIA, married William T. COGGSHALL.


If you have resources for Chenango County or would like to volunteer to help with look-ups, please e-mail me at Tim Stowell
You are our 9165 visitor since 8 Nov 2003 -- thanks for stopping by!
Last updated: 11 Jan 2011

Top of Page
Annals of Oxford
Index to Annals of Oxford
Chenango Co., NY Page