Chenango County Subdivisions


Note: In publishing the subdivision of the county into towns at pages 4 and 5, the list was taken from the second edition of the Revised Statutes, volume 3, commonly called the Spencer edition. Upon comparing the list with the various laws, numerous errors were found. We therefore reprint the list after personal examination.
Bainbridge was organized in 1791 under the name of Jericho. The first town meeting was held at the house of William GUTHERIE.
Columbus was taken from Brookfield in 1805. The first town meeting was held at the house of Jonathan BROWNELL.
Coventry was taken from Greene in 1806. The first town meeting was held at the schoolhouse near Burrage MILES.
Guilford was taken from Oxford in 1814. The first town meeting was held at the house of Jehiel PARSONS.
German was taken from DeRuyter in 1806.
Greene was taken from Union and Jericho in 1798. The first town meeting was held at the house of Conrad SHARP.
Lincklaen was taken from German in 1823. The first town meeting was held at the dwelling of Abel FAIRCHILD.
McDonough was taken from Preston in 1816. The first town meeting was held at the dwelling of Sylvanus MOOR.
New Berlin was taken from Norwich in 1807. The first town meeting was held at the house of Jeremy GOODRICH.
Norwich was taken from Jericho and Union in 1793. The first town meeting was held at the house of Capt. John HARRIS.
North Norwich was taken from Norwich in 1849. The first town meeting was held at TOWER'S tavern.
Otselic was taken from German in 1817. The first town meeting was held at the dwelling of Ebenezer HILL.
Oxford was taken from Union and Jericho in 1793. The first town meeting was held at the house of Benjamin HOVEY.
Pharsalia was taken from Norwich in 1806. The first town meeting was held at the house of Sanford MORTON.
Pitcher was taken from German and Lincklaen in 1827. The first town meeting was held at the house of Abel CHANDLER.
Plymouth was taken from Norwich in 1806. The first town meeting was held at the house of Walter BEMAN.
Preston was taken from Norwich in 1807. The first town meeting was held at the house of William PALMER.
Sherburne was taken from Paris in 1795. The first town meeting was held at the house of Timothy HATCH.
Smithville was taken from Greene in 1809. The first town meeting was held at a schoolhouse near Joseph AGARD.
Smyrna was taken from Sherburne in 1809. The first town meeting was held at the house of William LADD.
Source - History of Chenango County By Hiram C. Clark, Norwich, New York - Pages 118 - 119

Published by Thompson & Pratt - 1850


1850 History
Chenango Co, NYGenWeb

You are our 6006 visitor since 25 Jan 2001 -- thanks for stopping by!

© 2001-2011
Email: Tim Stowell

Last updated: 13 May 2011