Gazetteer of Towns


    PLYMOUTH was formed from Norwich, April 7, 1806. It is an interior town, lying north of the center of the County. Its surface is a hilly upland, broken by deep ravines, through which flow the streams. Canasawacta Creek and its east and west branches flow south-east through deep and narrow valleys which form a junction near the center of the town. South-west of the center are two small ponds, Plymouth and Reservoir, covering an area of about a hundred acres each. The soil is a gravelly and clayey loam.

    Plymouth, (p. v.) formerly called Franklinville, situated north of the center, contains three churches, several mills and mechanic shops and about a hundred inhabitants.

    South Plymouth, (p. o.) in the south-east part, contains a grist mill and about a dozen houses.

    The first settlement was made about 1794 by some French families. Among the early settlers were John Raynor, G. D. Jeffrey and James Bamford. Nathaniel Wales settled on lot 25, John Miller on lot 54, Benjamin Prentiss on lot 47, James Prentiss on lot 36 and ___ Brook on lot 91. James German settled on lot 29 and Judah Bement on lot 44; the latter kept a tavern. Deacon Tower located on lot 16, and ___ Taylor and Robert Gallop on lot 14. The last was a Revolutionary soldier. Col. William Munro at first settled in Norwich, but afterwards, on account of some difficulty with Mr. Cutting, became one of the first settlers in Plymouth. Silas Holmes, James Purdy and R. D. Dillaye were other early settlers.

    The first death was that of ___ Blowers, and about the same time Elizabeth Bowdish died. Clarissa Brooks taught the first school, in 1800 or 1801; Charles Babcock kept the first inn and John Raynor the first store. Nathaniel Prentiss built the first mill and John Thorp the first woolen factory, at an early day.

    The first church (M. E.) was organized about 1806. Rev. Mr. White was the first preacher.

    The population of Plymouth in 1865 was 1,487, and the area 25,364 acres.

    The number of school districts is 15; the number of children of school age, 439; the number attending school, 370; the average attendance, 200, and the amount expended for school purposes during the year ending September 30, 1868, was $3,782.79.


Business Directory
Town of Plymouth
Chenango Co, NY Page
You are our 2801 visitor since 3 Feb 2003 -- thanks for stopping by!
Last updated: 3 Feb 2003