CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH.

    The First Congregational Church of Sherburne was organized July 6th, 1794, with the following constituent members: Nathaniel Gray and Bethiah Newcomb-Raymond Gray his wife, Elijah Gray and Sarah Raymond Gray his wife, Abram Raymond and Betsey Gray Raymond his wife, Timothy Hatch and Ruth Wells Hatch his wife, Elisha Gray and Martha (Patsy) Burritt Gray his wife, Josiah Lathrop, Eleazer Lathrop, Mabel Gray wife of Newcomb Raymond, Melissa Burritt wife of James Raymond, Ruth Gray wife of Joel Hatch, and Ezra Lathrop and Mariam his wife. Nathaniel Gray and Abram Raymond were chosen Deacons. The Society was incorporated March 5, 1798, when Eli Marsh, Joel Northrop and Orsamus Holmes were elected Trustees.

    For the first few years there was no pastor, and only occasional preaching when some itinerant Missionary came along. Mr. Hatch has given such a graphic account of those occasions in his History that it is copied herewith: "Their advent would be hailed as an event long to be remembered. Messengers would be sent in every direction, until all, however scattered or remote, had heard the news. Such was their hungering and thirsting to hear the living preacher, that, at the appointed time, the women and the aged would be seen on horseback wending their way among the trees of the forest; and pedestrians of both sexes and all ages filling up the picture. Their house of worship had no tall spire pointing to heaven, no bell to summon to prayer, no ceiled walls, nor cushions filled with softest down. Its walls were round logs, and the roof of boards, or perhaps of bark. When their increasing numbers required a more commodious building, some newly erected barn would be substituted."

    As early as 1798-9, a large school house had been erected at the Quarter, on the west side of the road running northward past the Newton homestead, near to the bridge over the Handsome Brook, and thereafter for several years, the meetings of the church were ordinarily there held, it being provided with a movable pulpit for that purpose. The late Simeon B. Marsh, in a reminiscent article by him published, says of that primitive period: "My earliest recollections of public worship were in that school house, with Deacon Gray in the pulpit; his peculiar tone of voice in reading a psalm or hymn still sounds in my ears, though some seventy years have since come and gone."

    The following copied from Cornelius Clark's old Field Book, date of November, 1802, shows that the building of a meeting house was already planned for, and the site selected: "Survey of Meeting House Lands from Hath. Gray and James Elmore: Beginning at Robertson's (Noah) corner, thence South 49 degrees West 16 rods; thence N. 44 W. 20 rods; thence N. 46 East 16 rods; thence South 44 West 21 1-2 rods. Note-From Robertson's corner to Jas. Elmore's, 7 rods and 15 links." And that was the site on which it was finally built in the latter part of 1803 or early in 1804, soon after the effort to unite the two societies on a "common centre" had failed. Mrs. Amanda Gray Lee says she well remembers its being raised-was present. It was at first a rude affair, the seats being rough, loose boards placed on blocks. Mr. Hatch says: "They worshipped in this house nine or ten years before it was lathed or plastered, or in any measure done off inside. Even the pulpit had never seen the smoothing plane, if we except the top shelf or table and seat. For two or three years it was not glazed around the galleries, and for the first one or two winters, some of the windows were not even boarded up." It was over twenty years before stoves were introduced. The removal to its present site, in 1810, was not a slight task. The deed for the new site from Mr. Marsh is dated July 9, 1811; consideration, $63.75. The steeple and vestibule were added in 1821; the bell, 1832.

    A new church, on the present site, was erected in 1857, the old church being sold to the Catholic society. That church was burned Sept. 21, 1880 and the present beautiful edifice, most complete in all of its appointments, and an honor to the town, commenced in 1881, was dedicated in Feb. 1883, having been erected at a cost of $25,000, of which $5,000 was from a bequest by the late Dr. Devillo White. The fine organ, which cost $2,500, was a present from Mr. Joshua Pratt. The bell was a gift from Horatio W. Sanford, while a large memorial window represents a special contribution from the Newton family.

    Nathan Bailey Darrow, who taught the Quarter school 1800-2, is said to have been the first regular sermonizer, preaching as he did from the school house pulpit each recurring Sabbath. On Jan. 2, 1803, he was ordained as pastor of the church at Homer. Rev. Roger Adams, who was installed in August, 1806, was the first regular settled pastor. His voice failing, he resigned three years afterwards. His sheep mark appears on the old records date of May 27, 1809, showing that in more than one respect he was a good shepherd. Rev. Abner Benedict was the next pastor, from August 1811, to 1813; a man of considerable learning and ability. Rev. John Truair was the third pastor, was installed July 5th, 1815. During his ministry, which continued five years, there were over two hundred additions to the church. Rev. Lyman S. Rexford supplied the pulpit for some time after. Rev. I. N. Sprague, was the next, and one of the most beloved of all who ever ministered to that church, a love that was and is most heartily reciprocated. Quietly spending the evening of his days at Poultney, Vt., his native place, near the spot where he was born, now in his 93d year, nothing delights him more than to recall his pastorate at Sherburne, which he says was among the most pleasant of all during his long and active ministry. He was installed June 8, 1825, and remained until October, 1834. Rev. Henry Snyder was then stated supply for a time. Rev. Geo. E. Delevan, 1838-39; proved unsatisfactory and was asked to resign. Rev. Luther P. Blodget, an able expounder, 1839-41. Rev. James S. Brown, 1842-3; too extreme in his Abolition views to please the church. Rev. A. C. Tuttle, 1844-53; a devout and worthy man, but rather strong Presbyterian; the Abolition withdrawal occurred during his pastorate, but was more than made up by additions from the great revival during the winter of 1848-9. Rev. Oliver Bronson, of precious memory, 1853. Rev. Archibald McDougal, 1854-60. Rev. E. Curtis, 1860-7. Rev. Samuel Miller, 1867-74. Rev. James Chambers, 1875-82. Rev. D. W. Teller, 1882-88. Rev. Wm. H. Kelley, 1889-90. Rev. Albert F. Norcross, from March 1st, 1891.

    The following have served the Church as Deacons: Chosen 1794, Nathaniel Gray, Abram Raymond; 1803, Timothy Hatch; 1812, Stephen Northrop; 1816, Calvin Coe; 1821, Stephen Benedict; 1828, Williams Avery; 1838, Samuel Thurston; 1846, Zachæus Waldo Elmore, John F. Smith, Isaac Andrews, Jr., Andrew B. Knapp; 1850, Charles Benedict; 1865, Simeon B. Marsh, H. T. Dunham; 1874, Samuel M. Foote, George W. Lathrop; 1883, Harlan P. Freeman, William H. Miller.

    The recently issued Church Manual, gives the total membership since its organization as 1,288. Among the names so presented are many that recall tender and hallowed associations, more especially as connected with the old Church, when great congregations worshipped there, and the truth was mightily manifest in its influence upon the hearts and consciences of men. This Church has been a power for good in the community all these years, and its record for doing and giving is equalled by few. It has given its sons and daughters as well as its substance. Present members, 226.

WEST HILL CHURCH.

THE OLD WEST HILL MEETING HOUSE.

    The above re-production of the old Meeting House on the West Hill, is here presented as of historic interest, it having been the first church edifice erected in the town, and probably in the county. It was built in the fall or summer of 1803, a Society House, of smaller dimensions, having previously been erected on a lot adjoining. It was removed to its present site, where it is used for other purposes, in 1847. The Society was organized under the title of "The Second Calvinistick Congregational Society of Sherburne," at the house of James Guthrie, as the old records inform, on "Tuesday ye 25th of November, 1800." On that occasion Deacon Abram Raymond and Mr. Joshua Talcott being chosen Inspectors, and Orsamus Holmes Clerk, the following Trustees of the Society were duly elected: First Class-Elisha Gray, James Guthrie; second class-Elijah Sexton, Josiah Lathrop; third class-Abram Raymond, Eli Marsh.

    The old Church on the West Hill was organized, as the records also state, "At a meeting of a number of the members of the Calvinistick Congregational Society of Sherburne, holden at the house of Elisha Gray in s'd Sherburne, the 18th day of October, 1803," with eleven constituent members, to wit: Isaac Foote, Sedate Foote, Henry Finn, Margaret Finn, David Dixon, Triphena Dixon, Sarah Talcott, Elizabeth Merrill, Elijah Sexton, Ebenezer Baker, and Gambo Dasset; the latter a colored man, a native of Gambia, Africa. There were soon a large number of additions, and the new Church and Society went prosperously forward. Abram Raymond was the first Deacon, and afterwards Isaac Foote, Jr., and Joseph Adams were also chosen to that office. On the day of the organization, a call was tendered Rev. Joshua Knight, who had previously preached there on several occasions. He was ordained and installed as pastor of that Church at a Council convened at the residence of Major Joseph Dixon on the 29th of February, 1804, remaining in that connection for nearly twenty years, and until he was deposed from the ministry after a long and remarkable trial based upon his expressed purpose to marry his step-daughter, which he did about a year afterwards, on the 22d of October, 1824, both he and his wife being immediately thereafter excommunicated by the Church.

    Mrs. Ruth Knight, whose untimely death, January 22, 1823, was followed by all this difficulty, was an estimable woman, daughter of Judge Hezekiah Talcott of Herkimer, and afterwards of the West Hill, had previously been the wife of Peleg Kenyon, of Newport, who had left her and her infant daughter heirs to his estate.

    At a meeting of the Church held on the 2d of January, 1824, Isaac Foote, St., Moderator, and Isaac Foote, Jr., Clerk, it was voted to give Rev. Samuel Manning a call, which he accepted, remaining as pastor until December, 1827, when he removed to Fly Creek, Otsego County. He was afterwards for a time pastor of the Congregational Church at Smyrna. There was no settled pastor afterwards, but the pulpit was filled with supplies more or less regular, until the final disbanding of the church January 20th, 1834, a large number having previously withdrawn, some to unite with the Church organized at Smyrna, June 26, 1824, and others to join the First Congregational Church of Sherburne. So briefly the story of the old Church on the West Hill is here told.

THE CHURCH-YARD GREEN.

    The passing traveller of a summer's day may note the beauty of the far reaching vista, and his eye may rest for a moment with pleasurable satisfaction on the attractive spot where the "fore-fathers of the hamlet" sleep, as he passes over the summit of Sherburne West Hill, but if he should perchance be one of those who three score years and more ago were familiar with that place, and had returned after so long an absence to re-visit the scenes of other days, he would tarry there by the wayside, and look long and lovingly upon the spot once so familiar to him and still so dear to him. He would miss the old Meeting House, in olden times the most conspicuous feature in the landscape, but there is still the church yard green, and God's acre just beyond, where sleep the beloved dead.

    No wonder such a wayfarer is lost in reverie, in the dreamland of long ago; no wonder it all rises in review before him, and that he peoples the living present with the forms of the forgotten past. In fancy he is carried back to the days of his youth, and every bright prospect that then allured him, every emotion that moved him, every hope that lighted up his life now returns to him.

    Perhaps he recalls when the old, then the new Meeting House, was erected. Perhaps he saw its foundations laid, the super-structure reared, and watched its completion. Perhaps he had often mingled in the congregation that there worshipped; had joined in their devotions, and in their songs of praise. He recalls the austerity of their religious life, its simplicity as well as its severity. He remembers the dignity of the Fathers, their Puritanic punctiliousness, their unflinching courage, their unyielding faith; how every levity was hushed in the shadows that fell on the Meeting House green.

    But our lone traveller is scarcely thinking of this, though all unconsciously it may pass in review. He is rather perhaps in imagination beholding some fair face and form that had to him the fascinating grace of a pure and loving girlhood, and perhaps he remembers how his heart beat faster at the sight of her, even in the staid Meeting House congregation. It was a real sentiment, a pretty picture of the long ago, and he loves to recall the tender memory on this summer's day.

    Perhaps the forms of a father and a mother, a brother or a sister, rise before him, once so dear and precious, who were carried from that church to yonder burial place, were bedewed in tears the bright green turf rests above them. Perhaps he remembers how he there for the first time stood up in the presence of the great congregation and gave his affirmation of the Christian Faith, as he looked up to a nearer Heaven.

    All these thoughts, and many others may have recurred to him, as to another, for to none whose ancestors worshipped there, and whose dust reposes there, can that ever be common ground. It has been to them consecrated by the most sacred associations, and must forever remain a place of holy and tender memories. And so the wayfarer dreams of forgotten loves and unrecorded history.

    Under the care of the West Hill Cemetery Association, which has succeeded the Congregational Society organization, this has been made a beautiful rural cemetery, of rare attractiveness. The old Burying Ground was originally a gift to the Society from Justus Bosch Smith, who, together with his brother, Col. Wm. S. Smith, the original proprietor of Sherburne, from the State, and another brother, and their mother, and a nephew of the Clarkson family of New York, are buried there. That portion of the plot lying on the south side of the Quarter Line, which passes through it, and called the Church Green, but which is now a part of the Cemetery, was purchased by the Society from Elisha Gray.

    On this and succeeding pages, is presented a full list of the original members of the Society, and of the Church, from the time of its organization until its dissolution, together with the baptised children of the Church, all from the original records:

MEMBERS OF THE SOCIETY
Isaac Foote,Nathaniel Gray, jr.,William Ladd,Ephraim Whitney,
John Gray,Elijah Gray,Stephen Cooper,Orsamus Holmes
Joseph Simons,Eleazer Lathrop,Asa Cooper, jr.,Amos Cole,
Isaac Foote, jr.,Isaac Raymond,Elias Ladd,Jesse Hutchinson
Amasa Foote,Joshua Talcott, jr.,Joshua Talcott,Allen Hammond,
Lebbeus HuntDavid Baker,James Guthrie, jr.,Selah Picket,
Aaron Hutchinson,Daniel D. Gardiner,Joseph Billings,Elijah Long,
Noah Hutchinson,Alexander McCulloch,Joseph Collins,Obadiah Harrington,
Abel Hutchinson,Moses Hopkins,Samuel Hall,Phineas Graves,
Thomas Vose,Joshua Pratt, Sr.,Moses Hall,Joseph Benton,
Samuel Foote,Joshua Pratt, jr.,Luke Hall,Nathaniel Loomis,
James Sears,Henry Gardiner,Noah Wood,Jesse Chapman,
Apollos Allen,David Dixon,Obadiah Spencer, Jr.,Gambo Dasset,
William Collins,Gerrit Lansing, jr.,Edward Kibbee,Stephen Parker,
Elijah Sexton,Elkanah Spencer,Daniel Hebard,Ebenezer Baker,
Joseph Dixon,John Percival, jr.,Samuel Thompson,William St. John,
Elisha Gray,Samuel Guthrie,Andrew Bates,James Brown,
Newcomb Raymond,Joel Thompson,Benjamin GuthrieTheophilus Robinson
Abram Raymond,Roswell Harrison,James GuthrieWilliam Brown,
James Raymond,Perry Carver,John Guthrie,Gideon Rudd,
Timothy Hatch,Daniel West,Elijah Foster,Israel Farrell,
John Gray, jr.,Eli Marsh,Asa Northrup,

MEMBERS OF THE CHURCH.
Adams, JosephBidwell, MaryCatlin, WarrenCollins, Grace (Mrs.
Gardiner Kenyon,)
Adams, HiramBates, AndrewCatlin, Mrs
Adams, IsaacBates, RhodaCarver, PerryCook, Louisa
Adams, MaryBent, Rebecca,Carver, Keziah WarnerCole, Amos
Allen, Marsena,Benton, AnnaCarver, SamuelCole, Mrs.
Allen, Ruth,Beckwith, SylvanusCarver, BarshebaCole, Widow
Allen, Lydia,Burns, WilliamCarver, OrrindaCole, Louisa
Allen, Harriet G.Bush, CenaCarver, HarrietCole, Lucy
Babcock, HarrietBarlow, BetseyChapman, JohnCole, Miriam
Babcock, MaryCase, RussellChapman, Chas. W.Cowls, Clarissa
Babcock, PollyCase, RoxeyChapman, Mrs.Cooper, Sally
Baker, EbenezerCase, RogerCollins, JosephCrew, Sarah
Brown, AmandaCase, MaryCollins, Joseph W.Dasset, Gambo
Brown, JamesCase, JaneCollins, BetseyDixon, Joseph
Brown, HannahCastle, CatherineCollins, EuniceDixon, Mercy Raymond

Dixon, RuthHammond, Emma S.Merrill, ElizabethRexford Welthy Loverna
Dixon, HannahHammond, FannyMerrill, FlaviaRobinson, Mrs. Theoph-
ilus (Anna Carver,)
Dixon, WillistonHammond, Anna M.Miller, Polly
Dixon, MiltonHammond, George G.Mudge, IsaacRobins, Amaziah
Dixon, DavidHammond, Charles G.Mudge, CharlotteRobins, Davis
Dixon, TriphenaHammond, HarrietMunn, JohnRouse, Miles
Dixon, LydiaHall, ReubyOrmsby, Hannah Ray-
mond
Rudd, Gideon
Dixon, ArchibaldHall, Percis Rudd, Mary
Dixon, BethiahHall, AnnaOrmsby, MargaretSanford, Caroline
Dix, JohnHall, ClarissaOtis, CharlesSanford, Charles
Eldred, ReubenHaight, JohnOtis, ElizabethSexton, Elijah
Farrington, JamesHanly, WidowPartridge, JamesSexton, Sibbel
Farrell, IsraelHanly, EstherPayne, Rufus Jr.Sexton, Asel
Farrell, Mrs. PeggyHarrower, SusanPayne, SemanthaSexton, Mrs.
Farrell, LauraHeacock, LydiaParker, AnnaSexton, Lovina
Farrell, AureliaHopkins, DianthaParker, IsaacShattuck, Polly
Farrell, AuroraHopkins, AmandaParker, EuniceSnow, Eber
Farrell, PhilaHibbard, Bethiah GrayParsons, Mrs. JohnSnow, Mrs.
Farrell, SemanthaHunt, LebeusParsons, OrenSouthworth, Mary
Farrell, PeggyHunt, Mrs.Page, GeorgeSpencer, John T.
Farrell, AmandaHunt, WarrenPage, RuthSpencer, Susannah
Finn, HenryHunt, JosephPage, ThankfulSt. John, William
Finn, MargaretHunt, SarahPage, Ruth AlmiraSt. John, Wm. G.
Fox, LauraHubbard, DemasPage, IchabodSt. John, Mrs.
Fox, AllenHubbard, FannyPettis, ElishaSt. John, Cynthia
Fox, PollyHutchinson, HannahPettis, DeborahStarr, Abigail
Fox, ReubenHutchinson, SemanthaPendfield, DeliaStowel, Paul
Foote, IsaacHyde, CharlottePease, GeorgeStowel, Caroline
Foote, Isaac jr.,Hyde, GracePease, HesterStowel, Joseph
Foote, SamuelIngram, Isaac J.Pease, ClarissaStowel, Pamelia
Foote, SibbelIngram, Mrs.Pease, LouisaStowel, Content
Foote, SedateJohnson, MilesPease, WarnerStrew, John
Foote, AsabelJohnson, Wm. Sr.Percival, JohnStrew, Miranda
Foote, HarrietJohnson, Mrs.Percival, Ruth CrockerStuart, Anna
Foote, MaryJohnson, CalebPercival, NabbyStuart, Calvin Ashley
Foote, SallyJones, CarolinePercival, LucindaSutliff, Polly
Foote, HenryJones, JoannaPercival, SamuelTalcott, Hezekiah
Foote, HarrietJones, DensyPercival, John Jr.,Talcott, Mrs.
Foote, AmasaJones, RhodaPercival, MontgomeryTalcott, Sarah
Foote, HiramJohnson, Wm. Jr.Percival, EuniceTalcott, Polly
Gardiner, HenryJudd, LeonardPercival, AlmenaTalcott, Ruth
Gardiner, Ruth PercivalKellogg, SallyPlumb, NancyTaylor, Joseph
Gardiner, Widow EstherKenyon, SallyPorter, AaronThompson, Betsey
Gardiner, SarahKenyon, Gardiner J.Purdy, JeremiahThompson, Wm. M.
Gardiner, FideliaKingman, HorielPurdy, Mrs. LauraThompson, Catharine
Gaylord, JuliaKinsley, Mrs. AbielRaymond, AbramThompson, Mary
Gifford, AsaKnight, Mrs. RutheRaymond, Betsey GrayThompson, James
Gifford, DinahKnight, Joshua G.Raymond, NewcombThompson, John
Gifford, Jas. T.Knight, Hezekiah G.Raymond, Mabel GrayThompson, Hiram
Gifford, ExperienceKnight, Ruthe A.Raymond, Melissa Bur-
ritt
Thompson, Elizabeth
Gifford, SusanLadd, Lovina Treadwell, Herman
Gifford, Mrs. LucyLathrop, LewisRaymond, DavidVose, Mercy
Gillet, BetseyLathrop, BetseyRaymond, MercyWarner, Samuel
Gillet, WealthyLathrop, MarillaRaymond, SallyWarner, Mrs. Irena
Gray, ElishaLathrop, SarahRaymond, JerushaWarner, Betsey
Gray, Martha BurrittLathrop, AmyRaymond, AlfredWarner, Jerusha
Gray, Nathaniel jr.,Leonard, TimothyRaymond, AbigailWarner, Irena
Guthrie, JohnLeonard, AsenathRaymond, HarveyWarner, Hiel
Guthrie SallyLong, AvisRaymond, IradWaterman, David B.
Guthrie, ElsieLong, EstherRaymond, LauraWaterman, Jerusha
Guthrie, ClarissaLord, RussellRaymond, JosiahWebber, Amasa
Guthrie, SusanLord, Mrs.Raymond, Lodema,Weed, Ann
Guthrie, MilanLord, AlfredRexford, JoelWeed, Alvia
Hatch, PhiloLord, JerushaRexford, Mrs. SusanWeed, Sarah
Hatch, WellsLynde, HarrietRexford, RhodaWells, Tirza
Hatch, PollyManning, BetseyRexford, WelthyWest, Daniel
Hammond, GeorgeMcCulloch, SallyRexford, AlmiraWest, Mrs.
Hammond, Mrs.McCulloch, LydiaRexford, HarrietWood, Ira
Hammond, LucinaMcCulloch, CynthiaRexford, Roxana Cratil-
da
Wood, Asenath
Hammond, ChesterMcCulloch, Temperance Young, Lois

April 29, 1804 --- Benjamin Newcomb, son of Deacon Abram Raymond.
May 6 --- Roanna, daughter of Elijah Sexton.
July 1 --- Bessey, Grace, Warren, Miriam and Mercia, children of Mr. Joseph Collins. Also Noah, Asenath, Julius, Ira and Permelia, children of Mr. Noah Wood.
May 20 --- Lydia Foote.
August 12 --- Luke, Rheuby, Simon and Fanny, children of Mr. Luke hall. Also Eunice and Abiah, children of Mr. William Collins.
September 16 --- James and Margaret, children of Mr. Henry Finn.
September 10 --- Polly Knight Kenyon.
Sept. 23 --- Clarissa Guthrie.
November 4 --- Calvin, George, Hester, Electa, Warren and Clarissa, children of George Pease. Same day, Marcia and Rachel, children of William Ladd.
November 25 --- Cynthia, daughter of William St. John.
Dec. 2 --- Lue and Salmon Sanford, the children of Andrew Bates.

Third Sunday in February, 1805 --- Alfred, son of Isaac Raymond.
July 28 --- Roxanna Cratilda, Francis Karthalo, and Welthy Loverna, children of Simeon Rexford. Also Louis, a son of Joseph Collins, and Mercia, a daughter of Solomon Jones.
August 4 --- Barnabas, son of Andrew Bates.
August 25 --- Joshua Grier, son of Rev. Joshua Knight.
September 1 --- Almena, daughter of John Percival.
September 8 --- Abigail, Elsie, Fanny, Chancey, Philemon, Almond, Lewis, Samuel and Charles, children of Benjamin Guthrie.

May 18, 1806 --- Betsey Steins, daughter of William Burns. Also Chloe, daughter of Samuel Foote.
May 25 --- Abigail, daughter of William Collins.
July 29 --- Nathaniel Pardy Allen, son of William Ladd.
First Sabbath, September --- Holburn, Cynthia, Hannah, Semantha, Aaron, Lewis, Nelson and Laura, children of Aaron Hutchinson.
Third Sabbath, September --- Justin Foote.
December 7 --- Hezekiah Talcott, son of Rev. Joshua Knight, and Alanson Carver son of Theophilus Robinson.

Second Sabbath in July, 1807 --- Harriet Foote.
Third Sabbath, October --- Hanford St. John.
25th October --- At Deacon Raymond's Harriet A., Anna M., Polly M., Peter, Charles W., and William W., children of Mrs. Chapman.

Third Sabbath in March, 1808 --- Mary Adams.
Fourth Sabbath in March --- Warner, George, Nettleton, Sally and Mary, children of Lebeus Hunt.
Second Sabbath, April --- Daniel Spencer Hall.
Third Sabbath Sept. --- Israel O. Farrell, son of Dr. Farrell.
Third Sabbath, Oct. --- Sally (Sarah) and Fidelia Gardiner, daughters of Henry Gardiner.
Fourth Sabbath, Oct. --- Ruthe Amanda Knight daughter of Rev. Joshua Knight.
Third Sunday December --- Roxanny Baxter, adopted daughter George Hammond.

First Sunday April, 1809 --- Emeline Wood.
Fourth Sabbath, June --- Charles Foote.
Second Sabbath August --- Sidney Thompson Fairchild, son of John Flavel and Flavia Merrill Fairchild.

Third Sabbath March, 1810 --- Levi Backus Collins.
Fourth Sabbath April --- Thomas Tracy Pettis.
Fourth Sabbath, May --- Whitman Harvey Knight, son of Rev. Joshua Knight.
Second Sabbath, August --- Esther Johnson.
Third Sabbath October --- Andrew Farrell.
Fourth Sabbath November --- Andrew Thompson Goodrich Hammond.

Fourth Sabbath January, 1811 --- Sally Foote.
Fourth Sabbath March --- Semantha Ann Raymond, daughter of Deacon Abram Raymond.
Second Sabbath May --- John Henry Gardiner.
Third Sabbath Jun --- Caroline Saphronia Wood.
First Sabbath Aug --- Lewison Fairchild.
Third Sabbath Aug --- Parmelia, Eunice, Jeremiah, Kittridge, Caroline, Paul, Joseph, and Alexander, children of Joseph Stowel.
Second Sabbath Sept --- Marianna Foote Adams.
Fourth Sabbath Sept --- Hannah Chapman.
Second Sabbath Oct --- William Elijah Hammond, and William Mudge.

Fourth Sabbath Jan'y, 1812 --- Shubæl Carver.
Third Sabbath May --- Angeline Gardiner, at the home of her father, Henry Gardiner.
Fourth Sabbath June --- Cynthia Stowel.
Fourth Sabbath Aug --- Eliza Almira Carver.
Fourth Sabbath Oct --- Mary Ann Farrell.
First Sabbath Nov --- Asa Gifford Knight.

Fourth Sabbath Feb'y, 1813 --- Clarissa Hatch Raymond.
Third Sabbath, April --- Clarissa St. John.
First Sabbath May --- Emeline Mudge
Second Sabbath June --- Sereno Chester Hammond.
First Sabbath July --- Ruth, Almira, Harriet, Caleb Starr, children of George Pease.
First Sabbath August --- Mary Foote.
Third Sabbath Sept --- Erastus Gilbert Hall.
Fourth Sabbath Oct --- Charles Henry Foote.
Third Sabbath Nov --- Louisa Pettis.

Fourth Sabbath Nov. 1814 --- Miriam, Silas Wattles, Zenath, Lewis, Stephen, Amos, Benjamin and Louisa, children of Amos Cole, and George Hunt.
Second Sabbath June --- Matilda Carver.
Fourth Sabbath June --- Caroline Hammond and Hannah Stowel.
First Sabbath July --- Achsa Farrell.
Fourth Sabbath July --- Miranda Fairchild.
First Sabbath Sept --- Laura, Sophia, and Edison Fox.
Fourth Sabbath Nov --- Joseph H. Knight.

Fourth Sabbath May, 1815 --- Henry Laurens Hammond.
Fourth Sabbath July --- Betsey Hartwell Johnson.
Fourth Sabbath Aug --- Albert Mudge.
Fourth Sabbath Oct --- Louisa Long.

Fourth Sabbath Apr. 1816 --- Minerva Hammond.
First Sabbath Aug --- George Allen Stowel, also Clarinda St. John.
Second Sabbath, August --- Miriam Fox.
Third Sabbath Aug --- Amanda Hopkins, Polly Sutliff, Miriam Sachet Hatch.
Second Sabbath Sept --- William Wellington Collins, also Sidney Thompson, Sally Lucretia, Emmett Lowell, and Charles Levistone, children of Mrs. Laura Purdy.
Third Sabbath Sept --- Joshua Knight Raymond, and Fanny Amelia Foote.
Fourth Sabbath Sept --- Lucy, Ann, Caroline, John, Hiram, Phebe, Emeline, Eliza, Adaline, children of John Guthrie.
Third Sabbath Oct --- John Norton Percival.
Fourth Sabbath Oct --- Damon Case and Lewis Hall Case.
First Sabbath Nov --- Orson Pardy, Samuel Percival, Louisa Canton, children of Marsena Allen, and also John Spencer's children.

Third Sabbath March, 1817 --- James Alanson Knight.
Fourth Sabbath March --- William Clark Brown.
Second Sabbath April --- Salina, Emma, Asa Foote, Lucy, Emeline, Aaron, Delos, Sally, Lovina, children of Aaron Porter.
Third Sabbath May --- Montgomery Percival's children.
Fourth Sabbath May --- Eleanor Eunice Hammond.
Fourth Sabbath June --- Isaac Foote.
Third Sabbath July --- Sister Lucinda Hammond's children, Mary, Harriet, Welthy, Wolcott.
Second Sabbath Sept --- Sister Polly Sutliff's children, Hope, Milo, Julius, Nelson.
Fourth Sabbath Sept --- Joseph Hunt's children: Lester, Daniel, Edwin, Henry Walbridge, Malinda, also William Henry Guthrie.
First Sabbath Oct --- Sister Mercy Vose's children, William, Hannah, Henrietta, George.
Second Sabbath Oct --- Emily Almira Cole.
Third Sabbath Oct --- Sister Nancy Plumb's children, Harriet, Eliza, Sarah, Ann.
Fourth Sabbath Oct --- Orville Wells Hatch and Elenor Hatch.
Fourth Sabbath Nov --- Joseph Clark Leonard and Charles W. Hammond.

Third Sabbath Apr. 1818 --- Addison Raymond Porter.
Fourth Sabbath Apr --- Amanda Matilda Hatch, and Hubbard Fox.
Fourth Sabbath May --- Cynthia Sutliff.
Third Sabbath June --- Emeline Malvina Percival
Fourth Sabbath June --- Densy Hunt.
Third Sabbath Aug --- Erastus Strong Foote, and George Mudge Page.
Second Sabbath Oct --- Semantha Content Stowel.
Third Sabbath Oct --- Leander Mudge.
Fourth Sabbath Nov --- Ruth Allen, David Vose.

Fourth Sabbath Febr'y 1819 --- Elizabeth Adams Johnson.
Third Sabbath Apr --- Justus Moorhouse Carver.
Third Sabbath May --- Edward Foote.
Second Sabbath June --- Eunice Lucinda Knight.
Fourth Sabbath Aug --- James Thompson Leonard
Fourth Sabbath Nov --- Elizabeth Foote.
Fifth Sabbath Nov --- Laura Louisa Chapman and Henry W. Hammond.

Fourth Sabbath Jan. 1820 --- Sophia Buckley Lord.
First Sabbath March --- Timothy Hammond, at the house of George Hammond.
Second Sabbath April --- Children of Hannah Thompson: Sylvester, Sarah, Ford, Henry, Alexander, Libbie and James Randolph.
Third Sabbath April --- Laura Fox.
Second Sabbath May --- Laura Ann Porter.
Second Sabbath June --- James Hervey Allen.
Second Sabbath July --- Reuben Eldred's children: Rosina, Russell, Rosella, Rosamond, Rastus.
Fifth Sabbath July --- Samuel John Mills Hammond.
Second Sabbath August --- Otis Robins son of Amaziah Robins.
Fourth Sabbath Aug --- Cynthia McCulloch's children: William, Alexander, Carlton Graves, Ira, Eveline
Third Sabbath Sept --- Emma H. Lord.
Fourth Sabbath Sept ---Jane Flavilla and James Gifford Guthrie.
First Sabbath Oct --- Wells Hatch's children.
Third Sabbath Oct --- John Strew's children: William Wallie, Martha, Maranda.
Third Sabbath Nov --- Martha Foote.

Third Sabbath April, 1821 --- Abraham Mudge.
Fourth Sabbath June --- Henrietta Candis Hammond.
Second Sabbath July --- Almis Hyde Percival.
Second Sabbath Aug --- Almon Putnam Strew.
Third Sabbath Aug --- Elisha Warner Carver.
Fourth Sabbath Aug --- Wells Long, Samuel Long, Harriet Newel Long, Demas Hubbard, Harriet Hubbard and Nancy Hubbard.
Third Sabbath Sept --- Betsey Foote.
Fourth Sabbath Nov --- Lyman Rexford Raymond son of Irad Raymond.

2d Sabbath Jan.., 1822 --- Charles Thompson.
Third Sabbath May --- Maria Woodbridge Lord.
Fourth Sabbath July --- Delos Prisbrey Leonard.
First Sabbath Sept --- Louisa Almira Rexford.
Fourth Sabbath Sept --- Huldah Fox.
Fifth Sabbath Sept --- Betsey Hammond.
Third Sabbath Nov --- Nathn'l Olmsted Hammond.

First Sabbath May, 1823 --- Harriet Amelia Porter.
Fourth Sabbath Jun --- Cynthia Williams Thompson.
Second Sabbath July --- Philo Lewis Hatch.
Sept. 28 --- Eli, son of Hiram Foote, by Rev. Lyman S. Rexford. All previous by Rev. Knight.

Jan. 11, 1824 --- Cynthia Elizabeth, daughter of David Raymond.
Last Sabbath in Mar. --- Gideon Ormsby Fails.
May 16 --- Joseph Cook Johnson.
Last Sabbath May --- Rufus Burnham Cole.
June 27 --- Lydia Chapman Manning, daughter of Rev. Samuel Manning.
Oct. 17 --- Hannah Dixon, daughter of Williston Dixon, and Augustine Raymond Hatch.
Dec. 3 --- Baldwin, son of James T. Gifford.

First Sabbath Feb. 1825 --- Lyman Carver.
Last Sabbath Feb --- Merit Backus Thompson.
April 3 --- William Sawtre Foote.
Sept. 4 --- Henry Martyn son of Irad Raymond.
Nov. 27 --- Cornelia, daughter of Lewis Lathrop and Harriet Amanda, daughter of Albert Fox.

March 12, 1826 --- Lorenzo and Susan, children of Wells and Polly Hatch.
May 7 --- Lorin Collins, son of Gardiner Kenyon, and Susan, daughter of Williston Dixon.
Third Sabbath June --- Caroline Matilda, dau. Rev. Samuel Manning, George Porter, and Cynthia and Eliza, children of Isaac J. Ingram.
April 1 --- Ruth, daughter of Alfred and Sarah Gardiner Raymond, Hannah Frutilla Thompson.

July 16, 1829 --- Amanda Melvina Buel.


FAMILY SKETCHES.

    ALFRED RAYMOND, the subject of this sketch, was born in Sherburne, Nov. 4th, 1798, the son of Newcomb and Mabel Gray Raymond, he being one of a family of three daughters and five sons, of whom Harvey, who was unmarried, Sarah, who married Aaron Porter, Jerusha, who married Philo Hatch, Augustine, who married Nancy Crary Williams, Laura, who married James T. Gifford, and Geo. B. Raymond, who married Catharine Sherwood, and afterwards Mary A. Coles Weston, all removed to Elgin, Ill., aiding in the founding of that city. The other brother, Irad, who married Caroline Jones, removed to Evans, N. Y. Alfred Raymond united with the Church on the West Hill, the first Sabbath in June, 1815, and he was for some time Chorister of that Church. Afterwards, in 1828, he withdrew, and joined the First Congregational Church of Sherburne, of which he continued a member during the remainder of his life. In his early manhood he taught school several winters, and with a good degree of success. He had marked literary taste, was fond of music, a lover of nature and of art, was possessed of fine feeling, and many engaging manly qualities. He held the offices of Town School Commissioner, and Justice of the Peace, for one term each; was an earnest patriot, a Whig, a Republican, and an upright, honored citizen. Alfred Raymond married Sarah Gardiner, daughter of Henry Gardiner of Sherburne, and grand-daughter of William and Esther Denison Gardiner of the descendants of Lieut. Lion Gardiner of Gardiner's Island, on the 13th of April, 1826, by whom were eleven children, viz: Ruth and William H., of Springfield, O.; Angeline, dec'd; Marcius Denison, of Tarrytown, N. Y.; Edgar and Edwin, twin brothers, dec'd; Alfred Gray, of Sherburne; Sarah Cornelia and Hervey, dec'd; Lamont Gardiner Raymond, of Angelica, N. Y., and Amelia Newton Wells of Clinton, N. Y. Sarah Gardiner Raymond died Feb. 6, 1849, and he married second, the widow Nancy Crandall Purdy. He died at Sherburne, Dec. 3, 1880.


    HON. CHAS. M. GRAY, whose picture is here presented, was a good representative of the Gray family, so numerous and prominent in the early days of Sherburne. He was born June 13, 1807, the son of Alfred Gray, who had a store on the now Upham corner, and a grandson of John Gray, Sr., whose primitive log house stood near by. He went to Chicago in 1833, engaging in its activities. In 1854 he was Mayor of that city, and continued an honored citizen until his death in 1885.

    The Grays of Sherburne were all of the families of John, Sr., and Nathaniel. John had John, Jr., who had John F., Alfred W., Patrick W., Nathaniel, Rev. Blackleach Burritt, and daughter Diantha. Nathaniel, called "Elder Gray," who had among other children Rev. Calvin Gray; Anna who married Wm. Rynex, Alfred, who was the father of Hon. Chas. M., and Capt. Geo. M., of Chicago, and several daughters. Edward, who married the daughter of Elder John Mudge, was a blacksmith, and removed to Genesee County 1826. Reuben, who was Captain of the Sherburne Company, war of 1812. John Gray, Sr., died at Sherburne, 1822.

    Nathaniel Gray, the elder brother of John, was born in Lebanon, Conn., Mar. 17, 1736, his mother and his grandmother both being of the Hibbards of Windham County. By his first marriage, with Deborah Lathrop, he had Elijah, who married Sarai Raymond, and had son Nathaniel, died aged 22; Amanda, who was born at Florida, N. Y., Nov. 23, and still survives; Persia who married Mr. Powell, Marilla, Juliet who married Eber Keyes, and Joseph Gray. Elisha Gray son of Nathaniel had Melissa, and Alanson, who removed to Kentucky, was twice married, and left numerous descendants, John T., the celebrated bridge builder, and Philander Raymond Gray, of Elizabeth, N. J., being of his sons. Ruth, daughter of Nathaniel and Deborah Gray married Joel Hatch. By Nathaniel Gray's second marriage was a daughter Bethia, who married Daniel Hibbard. Nathaniel Gray died June 24, 1810.


    THE Lathrops who were of the pioneers of Sherburne, were of the descendants of Rev. John Lathrop, the noted dissenter, early of the Massachusetts Colony, and sons of Deacon Melatiah Lathrop and Mercy Hatch his wife who was prominent in Kent, Conn., at Dover Plains, and Canaan, N. Y. where he was member of the Committee of Public Safety during the Revolution, and there died Sept. 5, 1787, aged 73 years.

    Josiah Lathrop, born 1757, married Rachel Perry and had Zilpha; Lewis, who married Marilla Marsh and had John Milton who died while a student at Hamilton College, 1837, Harriet A., who married Nelson Brown and had daughter Ellen L., now Mrs. Rev. D. K. Bartlett of Albany, Cornelia, who married Seneca B. Rexford, and George W., who married Mary E. Havely, and resides at Sherburne. Erastus and John Lathrop were sons of Josiah.

    Ezra Lathrop born at Kent, 1751, married Mariam Thurston; lived in the north-east part of Sherburne; had Salmon who married Aurelia Noble, and removed to Carbondale, Pa.; Betsey, who married Stephen Northrop; Eleazer, who graduated at Andover Theo. Seminary, died at Port Gibson, Miss., 1832; other children.

    John Lathrop married Prudence Hatch; lived at the Quarter; had John Hiram, who graduated at Yale, 1819, and became eminent for his learning; Marcus, who married Amanda Hopkins and removed to Clinton, had son Col. Wm. H., killed in the war for the Union; Charles H., son of John, born 1811, married Louisa Newton, and had son Charles Henry who lives in Sherburne.

    Eleazer, born 1766, married Eunice Nichols and had son Alvan born at Sherburne Jan. 6, 1800, whose picture is at the head of this sketch. Was a teacher and Professor and a cultured gentleman. He married Caroline daughter of Phinehas Allen of Pittsfield, Mass., and had Charlotte E., Sarah M., and Charles R., Supt. Roosevelt Hospital New York. Diantha, daughter of Eleazer, married Judge Tracy of Honesdale, Pa. Hollister, son of Eleazer.


    CAPT. WILLIAM NEWTON was one of the strongest personalities in the town of Sherburne for a period of fifty years and more. He was born in Colchester, Conn., Oct. 15, 1786, son of Ashael Newton, who was a soldier of the Revolution. He came to Sherburne to live as early as 1811, having previously married Lois Butler, a daughter of Deacon Richard Butler, of Wethersfield, Conn., where she was born Dec. 12, 1790; a woman possessed of rare qualities, a strong, well balanced character. Mr. Newton built a mill and engaged in the manufacture of woolen goods, but being twice burned out he turned his attention to the business of contracting on the canals then in process of building, in which he was very successful, investing the proceeds in a large farm at the Quarter known as the Newton homestead, and where they continued to reside the remainder of their days. Their children were as follows:

    William Butler, born 1811, resides at Parma, N. Y.; Louisa, the widow of Chas. A. Lathrop, resides with her son Chas. Henry Lathrop, at Sherburne; Lucinda, married first, Ira Williams, and had daughter Maria, Married 2d, David C. Buel, dec'd; Warren Newton, lawyer and banker, died at Norwich, Dec., 1891; Maria, born 1820, died 1836; Amelia Mercy, married Rev. Chas. Little in September 1847, went as a Missionary to Madura, India, where she died July 18, 1848; Isaac S. Newton, graduate of Yale, able lawyer, dec'd; Lucius, a respected citizen of Sherburne, resides on the homestead; Hubert A., graduate of Yale, and since 1855 Professor of Mathematics in that noted University; Albro J. Newton, a prominent citizen of Brooklyn; Homer G. Newton, graduate of Yale, studied Medicine, Surgeon in the war for the Union; resides in Sherburne.

    William Newton, one of seven brothers, was the father of seven sons: A remarkable family. Capt. Newton, died Aug. 3, 1879, aged 93 years. Mrs. Newton died Feb. 6, 1885, aged 95 years.


    JOSHUA PRATT is the most conspicuous member of a family long noted in Sherburne for its prominence in business and financial affairs. In fact, may well be entitled the foremost native born citizen of the town now residing there. He is the third Joshua in successive generations, his father and grandfather having each of them borne that name. Joshua, Sr., came to Sherburne from Spencertown, Columbia Co., having previously resided in Connecticut, probably at Kent. He took up a farm on the road to Earlville, opposite the Ladd place so called, and his son Joshua, Jr., who had been a school teacher on the frontiers, and who had married Jemima, daughter of Joshua Talcott, Sr., of the West Hill, 1802, also for a time lived there. Joshua, Sr., died Jan. 2, 1821, aged 87, and his grave is on the West Hill, he and his family having been identified with the church there.

    Joshua, Jr., removed to Sherburne village, and was for many years engaged in business on the site of the present Bank building, also farming and other outside operations, raising a large family, including Caroline, widow of Dr. White, now in her 90th year. Julia Ann, Married Mr. Kershaw, Adaline, married Milton Sutliff, Joshua, (3), Talcott, married Caroline Tunnicliff, and resides on farm west of the river, formerly his father's, Walstein. Elisha, who removed to Iowa, Charles, and Mary Eliza.

    Joshua Pratt (3) whose portrait appears herewith, born Oct. 18, 1810, married first, Rebecca N. Pratt, who left a daughter, deceased; married second, Anna, daughter of Joel Pratt, Jr., and grand daughter of Capt. Joel, brother of Joshua Pratt, Sr., her mother, Hannah Bull Pratt, having been the daughter of Hannah Hopkins and Asher Bull, and grand-daughter of Capt. Consider Hopkins of Hartford, Conn. By this marriage are surviving, Grace, the wife of Dr. Homer G. Newton, and Carrie Pratt. Merchant and banker for sixty years and more, Mr. Pratt still holds on the even tenor of his way.


    DR. DEVILLO WHITE was a son of Sherburne who spent his whole life in the place of his nativity, and from early manhood up to his over four score years, he was one of the most potent individual forces in that community. For not only as a physician did he hold first place against all rivals in all the region about, but his strong personality asserted itself continually in the field of politics and finance. He was a unique character, a sui generis, almost unconsciously exerting a persistent, controlling power among men. Certainly no one ever wielded greater influence in the town of Sherburne for so long a period as did Dr. Devillo White.

    His grandfather, William White, who was an officer in the Revolution, was one of the "Vermont Sufferers," New York State refugees, who were awarded lands in Jericho, near present Bainbridge. His grandmother, Eunice Rogers, was a descendant of the noted Dissenter John Rogers who was burned at the stake. His father, Dr. Asa White, had married Sally Corbin, and came on to Sherburne in 1798. Lived for a time on the Otto Reese place, then on the cross roads near the upper river bridge, then removed to present Sherburne village and erected a residence and inn on the south-east corner, site of the Soldier's Monument afterwards erected by his son, Dr. Devillo White, who was born Feb. 11, 1801, and Married Caroline Pratt, eldest daughter of Joshua Pratt, Sr., in 1824, soon after the completion of his studies.

    Dr. Asa White, while engaged in looking after lands in which he was interested in the far west, and whither he had driven with his own outfit, perished in a snow storm on one of the prairies of Illinois, Dec. 18th, 1819, in his 48th year. Dr. Devillo took up his father's practice as soon as he was able, and his skill and energy carried him successfully forward. The Doctor riding rapidly past in his old one-horse shay, all unconscious of everything around him, will long remain a picturesque picture. He died May 10, 1882.


    HON. JOSEPH BENEDICT is a picturesque character, and has been identified with Sherburne for more than three-quarters of a century. Born in the town of Bedford, Westchester County, April 11, 1801, he is the third son of Deacon Stephen Benedict who was afterwards for so many years a prominent citizen of Sherburne. He is connected through a long line of ancestry with the ancient and honorable family of Benedicts, who were the descendants of Deacon Thomas Benedict of Nottingham, England and Norwalk, Conn., his grandfather having been Col. Joseph Benedict of the Revolution.

    He came to Sherburne with his father's family in the fall of 1805, and his youth and early manhood were spent there. He married first, Electa, daughter of John Rees, and second, Mrs. Schuyler Hubbard, formerly of Morrisville. He studied law, was Town Clerk of Sherburne 1836, Member of Assembly for Oneida County 1851 and 1854, and afterwards candidate for State Senator. He is a highly respected citizen in the city where he has spent so many years of his useful and honorable life, and in his 93d year still retains considerable vigor.

------

    Noah Allen, Sr., and his sons Noah, Jr., and Apollos, who were early of Smyrna, having come from Gill, Mass., 1797, were of the descendants of Edward Allen, of Ipswich, 1636. They were connected with the West Hill Church, and prominent there. Deacon Marsena Allen, a son of Apollos, lived for a time in Sherburne. He married Harriet Gates Percival, sister of Mrs. Henry Gardiner and daughter of John Percival, who was a native of Sandwich, Mass., a soldier of the Revolution from Lee, Berkshire Co., and a pioneer in the 8th township. Marsena Allen was the father of the late Samuel P. Allen, and of Rev. E. P. Allen, for many years and still a Missionary at Harpoot, Turkey.


    JUDGE TILLY LYNDE is one of the most interesting characters connected with the early history of Sherburne, having won his way to fame and fortune there without the aid of any adventitious circumstances. He came to the West Hill as a clerk for Garret Y. Lansing, the pioneer merchant there in the latter part of 1802, and Dec. 24, 1804, he opened the little store as sole proprietor, pushing forward so rapidly on the lines of success that he soon laid the foundations for an ample fortune. Also in public life he became prominent, having been elected Associate Judge in 1816, and retired from business. In 1818 he was chosen Member of Assembly; in 1820, State Senator, holding that office until 1825; in 1826-8, Member of Assembly; in 1827, 1830-31, Supervisor and in 1832 was candidate for Congress. From an unknown youth he had in these years become a man of property and dignity, and all at the now rural hamlet of Sherburne West Hill. It was a wonderful success.

    In the meantime he wisely married Miss Eliza Warner, though tradition has it had had mourned his first love, a beautiful girl who has slept these many years beneath the churchyard green. Miss Warner had come on from Sunderland, Mass., with her kinsfolk, the Carvers, and was engaged in teaching school at the Four Corners one summer, where he met her, and her culture and grace, and blooming womanhood, captured his heart. They were married Sept. 10th, 1812, and as the result of that union four sons were born to them, three of whom, Wm. Pitt, Watts Sherman, and Charles James, graduated at Yale, the former being afterwards Attorney General of the Territory of Wisconsin, and Member of Congress from that State, his home being at Milwaukee. By a sad tragedy, the other two brothers named, were lost by the burning of the steamboat Erie, on lake Erie, the evening of Aug. 9th, 1841. The youngest and only surviving son, Martius T. Lynde, resides in Brooklyn, where his father died in 1857, he having removed from Sherburne to Cortland in 1832. Mr. M. T. Lynde has been twice married, having by his first wife Elizabeth Trowbridge, a daughter Emily T., his second marriage being with Martha Ruggles of Poultney, Vermont.

    Charles W., a brother of Judge Lynde, who was associated with him in business for a time, married Cynthia, the daughter of Judge Thompson, then of Sherburne Four Corners, and removed to Cortland, where he was Surrogate and State Senator. A sister Harriet married Milo Hunt, and a sister Sally married Edmund Sanford, and so became the mother of his sons. The Lynde brothers and sisters were the children of John and Sarah Warner Lynde, and born in Brookfield, Mass.

-----

    The Hatch family of Sherburne, were of the descendants of Thomas Hatch born in Bidentown, Kent Co., England, 1603, who with his wife, Grace Lewis, came to this country with Gov. Winthrop in 1630, through Jonathan of Barnstable, Benjamin his son, who died at Tolland, Co., 1729, and Timothy his son, born at Falmouth, Mass., Oct. 19, 1695, and who removed to Kent, Conn., 1739. His son Jethro, called Major Jethro, a Deacon in the Church at Kent for many years, and prominent citizen, had among other children, Timothy, born Dec. 12, 1758, Joel, Aug. 29, 1764, and Prudence, the youngest daughter, who married John Lathrop, one of the pioneers. Joel Hatch married Ruth Gray, daughter of Nathaniel, 1787, and was one of the prominent Proprietors and early settlers of Sherburne. They had daughter Deborah, married Rufus Rose, and had Julius Kirk and Mark Rose; Joel, Jr., married Maloney Kingsley and had Bethuel and Mary Eliza, (both of Oregon;) was author of the History of Sherburne; Milo, who married Deborah, youngest daughter of Rev. Blackleach Burritt; Theron, unmarried; Julius, graduate Hamilton College, lecturer on Astronomy, married Harriet Bicknell, and was the father of Hon. Herschel H. Hatch of Bay City, Mich.; Julia, twin sister of Julius, who married Erastus Newton; Reliance who married Joseph Carrier, and died at Elmira, 1893; Revillo C., twice married, and died at Fayetteville, N. Y., Sept. 30, 1890; Esther, unmarried.

    Timothy Hatch, son of Major Jethro, born at Kent, 1757, married Ruth Wells, sister of Martha Wells, wife of Rev. Blackleach Burritt, and was one of the Proprietors and Pioneers of Sherburne; took up a large farm on the west side of the river and resided there with his son Elam until his death. Elam married Peggy Farrel, daughter of Dr. Israel, and had T. Yale, Israel Burdette, Farrand, Franklin D., and daughters Margaret and Martha. Elam and his wife removed to Sugar Grove, Ill., and died there. Burdett died at Denver, Yale resides at Highmore, S. D., and Farrand at Sugar Grove. Jethro, son of Deacon Timothy, had daughter Marcelia, and sons Fayette, and Jethro Jr., who is a physician and prominent citizen of Kentland, Inc. Wells Hatch, another son, had a large family and removed to Virginia. Col. Lorenzo Hatch, son of Timothy, was four times married and by the last marriage, with Miss Stebbins, left a son Lorenzo W., who was killed during the war, in the Shenandoah Valley.

    Sylvanus Hatch, brother of Major Jethro Hatch of Kent, had Rev. Solomon, a Baptist Minister, who married Lucy St. John, a sister of Wm. St. John of Sherburne, and had Clarissa, who married Stephen Purdy and lived at the Four Corners, and Philo Hatch, who married Jerusha Raymond and lived for a time on Sherburne West Hill, where Philo L. Hatch, the Centennial Poet, was born. Also had a daughter, Amanda Matilda, who married Theophilus Renwick, and resides at Sacramento, California.

-----

    Isaac Foote settled in the 8th township on a large farm on the road from Smyrna to Sherburne Four Corners 1794-5. He was born at Colchester, Conn., Jan'y 4, 1746, and married Mary Kellogg of that place. They had Mary, who married Deacon Joseph Adams; Isaac Foote, Jr., who married Harriet Hyde, daughter of Gen. Caleb Hyde of Lenox, Mass., and had Justin, Harriet, Charles, Henry, Daniel, Elizabeth, and Isaac, Jr., late of Norwich, dec'd; Amasa, who married Sarah Kellogg; John Foote, who was a lawyer, resided at Hamilton, married first Mary B. Johnson, and second Mrs. Harriet Bryan, daughter of his uncle, Hon. Ebenezer Foote, had son Hon. John J. Foote now of Belvidere, Ill.; and Hiram, who married Mary G. Strong. In the early days riding on horseback from place to place on his court circuit with his saddlebags containing his docket and law papers, and then in the later years with his powdered hair and silver knee buckles, Judge Isaac Foote, was always a unique and dignified character.

    Samuel Foote, who was a pioneer in the 8th township and on the West Hill, was a kinsman of Judge Isaac Foote. He was from Gill, Mass., and had married Sibbil Doolittle, of Hinsdale, N. H., and had Elial T., who became a Physician, Senator, Judge and Historian, married Anna Cheney, and was the father of Mrs. S. C. Crosby of Jamestown, Dr. C. C. Foote, dec'd, and Horace A., and James H. Foote, New York. Deacon Samuel also had son Erastus, a prominent lawyer in Milwaukee; Chas. Doolittle, Obed Hyatt, and daughters Lydia, Philena, Mary D., Chloe, and Sedate, who married John K. Cowing, and was the mother of Judge Cowing of New York. Deacon Samuel Foote removed to Plymouth 1817, and from there to Jamestown, N. Y. Died 1848.

    Asa Foote, father of Asa of Sherburne, Nathaniel, and other sons, Israel Foote, father of Samuel now of Sherburne, and Rev. Lewis Ray Foote of Brooklyn, are all kindred of Judge Isaac Foote.

-----

    The Rexfords of this place are the descendants of Arthur Rexford, early of New Haven, Benjamin, who was of Sherburne 1804, having been born there Jan. 1, 1776. He married Mary, daughter of Cornelius Clark, and had Sarah, who married Jacob Havely, Emily, who married Dr. Hiram Adams, Benjamin F., a prominent lawyer, who married Elvira P. Babcock and lived at Norwich; sons Col. Willie, and Benj. F., of New York. Daniel A., who married Fanny M. Lincoln of Troy, father of the Misses Rexford of Sherburne. Mary, and Nelson C., who were unmarried. John DeWitt, who married Cynthia Maria Babcock, lawyer and banker, resides at Janesville, Wis. Seneca Butts, who married Cornelia Lathrop, and died at Sherburne, July 11, 1856. Zina, brother of Benjamin, married Lucy C. Rose of Sherburne, and died at Fabius, 1855. Joel, Jr., lived in Smyrna and Sherburne. Joel Rexford, Sr., uncle of the foregoing, was of Smyrna at an early day. Had son Simeon, who was the father of Dr. F. K. Rexford of Ypsilanti, Mich. Also son Rev. Lyman S. Rexford.


    Major Joseph Dixon, a prominent citizen in the pioneer days, was born in Lebanon, Conn., Sept. 20, 1854, [sic] son of Archibald. Afterwards lived at Kent, where he enlisted as a soldier of the Revolution. Married Mercy Raymond, sister of the Raymond brothers, 1782, removed to Manchester, Vt., and from there to Sherburne, 1794-5, having purchased the large farm afterwards owned by Deacon John F. Smith south of the West Hill. Had sons Raymond and Abram who graduated at Yale, the former of whom studied for the ministry, and the latter was State Senator from Chautauqua Co.; Milton, the father of the Dixon family of Smyrna; Hannah, who married Williams Avery; Alanson, who lived in Elgin, Ill., and Williston, killed by an accident, 1827. Joseph Dixon died May 18, 1839. David Dixon, brother of Major Joseph, resided in the north part of the present village of Sherburne. Was a non-commissioned officer in the Revolution, and the Badge of Merit was bestowed upon him for six years continuous honorable service. Died in Sherburne, Oct. 14, 1820.

-----

    Deacon Williams Avery, whose family was prominent in Sherburne, was the son of James and Amanda Lee Avery, who came from Durham, Greene Co., prior to 1816, and lived on the cross road not far from Kershaw'' Mill, on the farm now owned by Dennison Pudney. Williams Avery purchased the Gardiner farm on the west side of the river, spring of 1837, and there his father died 1838. It was long known as the Avery homestead, and a generous hospitality was dispensed in that stone mansion, and a stalwart family there grew up. Mr. Avery had married Hannah, daughter of Major Joseph Dixon, and had Harriet, who married Luther Bowen and now a widow at Atchison, Kansas; Thomas, S., who studied medicine and died suddenly at Rochester, in the prime of his splendid manhood, July 19, 1847; George W., who studied medicine, Surgeon in the war for the Union, died at Norwich 1888; Orlando W., of Smyrna; Alida C., M. D. of San Jose, Cal.; James W., of Memphis, and Joseph D., of Fremont, Nebraska. Deacon Avery was a school teacher in his early days, a man of strong characteristics and marked character. Had brother Abel, sisters Mary, Amy and Fanny who married Clark Burnham.


    The Gardiners early of Sherburne West Hill, Capt. Daniel D. and Henry, were sons of William Gardiner who was of the Gardiner's Island family, and born at Groton, Conn., Sept. 5, 1741. He married Esther Denison and removed to Colchester, Conn., where most of his children were born. Was a soldier of the Revolution, and removed to the Forks, near Earlville, about 1798, where he died Mar. 21, 1800. The widow Gardiner died at the residence of her son Henry at what is now the Sidney Sanford place on the West Hill. William also had sons Joseph and Isaac, and daughters Esther, who married Capt. Bigelow Waters and lived at Earlville; Hannah, who married Hon. John W. Bulkley of Lebanon, and Sarah, who married first John D. Blish, and second, Sanford Rodgers, and third, Samuel Burlingham, who was the father of Justus Bosch Burlingham of Earlville. Henry Gardiner married Ruth Percival. He afterwards purchased the James Raymond farm and built the stone house on the west side of the river now owned and occupied by Chas. Henry Lathrop. His eldest daughter Sarah married Alfred Raymond. Delia married D. A. Denison and still survives at Belvidere, Ill., Angeline died, unmarried, John H. married Almira, daughter of Ephraim Whitney, and died at Rochester, 1891.

-----

    The Elmores of Sherburne were of the family of Thaddeus Elmore who was born at Sharon, Conn., married Elizabeth, the daughter of Zaccheus Waldo, and removed about 1783, to Canaan, Columbia Co., N. Y. Was a descendant of Edward Elmer who came from England to Boston 1632, afterwards of Hartford, Conn. James Elmore, son of Thaddeus, was of Sherburne as early as 1798; was the first merchant and Postmaster, living at the present Asa Foote place, and also keeping an Inn there. He married Lydia Percival daughter of John, and had David who married Charlotte Rose, and Eliza Ann, who married Asher Holmes, son of Orsamus. Thaddeus, Jr., was also of Sherburne date of 1801, and Zaccheus W., known as Deacon Waldo, one of the first merchants in Sherburne village; four times married, his first wife, Miranda, daughter of Noah Robinson. Elizabeth Elmore, sister of Zaccheus, married S. P. Scoville, merchant and P. M. in Sherburne.


    Stephen Purdy, whose name appears on the old map of the Proprietors as the owner of Lot No. 23, was born March 3, 1751, the son of Peter and Phebe Carpenter Purdy, who were of Greenwich, Conn., and then of Pittstown, N. Y. Peter was a brother of Ebenezer who was the father of the Purdys early of North Norwich, and whose son James Married Phebe, sister of Stephen, by which both branches of the family were united in the late Mrs. Col. Samuel Hartwell. Stephen Purdy had married Mary Pellet, daughter of Deacon John Pellet, who with her father's family had narrowly escaped from the Indians at the time of the terrible Wyoming massacre, hey having made their early home in that Valley. Mr. Purdy came to Sherburne with his wife and two children in 1798, and continued his residence there until his death, Mar. 27, 1812. Was a worthy member of the North Norwich Baptist Church. Daughter Anna married Amos Mead and removed to the western part of the State; was the mother of an interesting family. Stephen Purdy, Jr., married Nancy, daughter of Israel Crandall, and had Stephen and Lewis, deceased; Mrs. Juliet Pollock, Edmond, who married Nancy Champlain, Permelia who married S. W. Lobdell, all of Sherburne, and Elnora H., who married M. D. Raymond and resides at Tarrytown.

    Jeremiah Purdy, born in Rye, Westchester Co., son of Monmouth, married Lydia, sister of Judge Joel Thompson, near whom he lived at Sherburne Four Corners. Was previously for a time at Duanesburgh; was a member of the West Hill Church and afterwards prominent as a Methodist. Had Cyrus B., who married Laura Yeomans, Jeremiah, Jr., Monmouth, Thomas, and Willard, who married Lucina Lewis and had Lewis, Cyrus, James T., and Edward H., who married first, Ruth E. Gridley, then her sister Harriet, and third, Caroline E., daughter of Israel Foote, by whom a son Frederick Purdy. Jeremiah died June 16, 1842.

    Josiah Purdy, brother of Jeremiah, kept the first Inn at the present Bentley house, Sherburne Four Corners, prior to 1799, and removed from there to Georgetown.

    Nancy Purdy, daughter of Abner and grand-daughter of Ebenezer, married Frederic Sexton; was mother of Tama and Frederic.

    All descendants of Francis Purdy, early of Fairfield, Conn.


PHYSICIANS OF SHERBURNE.

    A Dr. Lacy was the first physician in Sherburne, but only remained a short time.

    Dr. Asa White, was in the early days the principal physician, and one of the most skillful, in all that region. He was succeeded by his son Devillo who retained the first place during his long and useful life, a sketch of whom with portrait is given in another place.

    Dr. Daniel Knight practised there as early as 1807, and until about 1820 after which he removed to North Norwich.

    Dr. Israel Farrell settled on Sherburne West Hill, 1807, and continued in practice until his death in 1833. A son, Andrew, studied with his father and practised at Guilford.

    Samuel Guthrie, born at Brimfield, Mass., 1782, married Sibbel Sexton daughter of Elijah Sexton; was living on Sherburne West Hill in 1804, and probably studied medicine with Dr. Farrell; afterwards resided in the village; he was not only a skillful physician, but he invented percussion pills and a lock to explode them; received serious injury while experimenting with the same. Also an original discoverer of choloroform, for which he received a medal from abroad. Removed from Sherburne to Sackett's Harbor 1817, where he died Oct. 19, 1848. Had a son Alfred born at Sherburne Apr. 1,1805, studied medicine, practised in Chicago, originated the great hydraulic works in that city, also the originator of the U. S. Steamboat Inspection laws; died 1882. Edwin, another son, born at Sherburne Dec. 11, 1806, studied medicine, removed to Iowa, was Captain of a Company in the Mexican war, and died at Castle Perote from wound received at Pass La Hoya. Guthrie County, Iowa, named in his honor.

    Dr. Huckins Storrs born in Mansfield, Conn., 1786, was of Sherburne as early as 1818, and was for a time a partner of Dr. Devillo White. Removed to Utica about 1827, and died at Columbus, July 21, 1832. He had married Cornelia Wells, a sister of the first wife of Lyman S. Rexford, and she afterwards married Dr. Alfrederick Smith and removed to Little Falls. Her daughter, Catharine Storrs, married Robert H. Wells of Albany, and had son Wm. Storrs Wells, who is of the firm of Fairbanks & Co., New York.

    Dr. Elijah K. White, who died at Sherburne June 6, 1843, was a Post Surgeon in the Seminole Indian war, and had come on from Florida the Fall previous, to visit his brother, Dr. Amos Kingsley White, but found on arrival that he had already died, Oct. 11th, 1842. He therefore took up his brother's practise, but died himself a few months afterwards, as already stated. A small monument in the Episcopal Churchyard marks their joint graves. They were gifted men and their early death was seemingly inscrutible. Dr. E. K. White left a widow, a lady of rare worth, who returned to Canaan, Columbia Co., her early home, and successfully engaged in teaching a boarding school there for many years. She died at the residence of her only son, Henry K. White, a prominent lawyer at St. Joseph, Mo., Jan. 27, 1890. Drs. A. K. and E. K. White were the sons of Dr. Vassal White of Berkshire Co., Mass.

    Dr. E. S. Lyman studied with Dr. Devillo White, from April 18, 1831, having previously married his sister, Mercy White, and after his graduation was a partner with him for several years. Was continuously in practise there for over 50 years, and in fact until his death, Nov. 20, 1892, retaining until the last the high confidence of the community. His eldest son, Dr. Francis Lyman, died at Washington, D. C., Acting Asst. Surgeon, U. S. A., aged 25 years. A young man of high promise. Another son, Henry C. Lyman, M. D., has been successfully engaged in practise at Sherburne since 1872.

    Dr. Ira C. Owen was born in the town of Lebanon, Madison County, N. Y., on the 8th of April, 1822. Came to Sherburne in 1846. Was the pioneer Homoeopathist there. Is still in active and successful practise.

    Drs. Kenyon and Van Wagner, are in present practise at Sherburne.

    Dr. Fort Van Keuren, for several years in practise at Sherburne, died March 27, 1881.

    Dr. Byron Marks was in practise at Sherburne for a considerable period. John Kellogg, Aaron Bligh, and Geo. Cleveland, afterwards of Waterville for many years, were at Sherburne for short periods. Also, later, Drs. Crandall, Jaynes, Whitney, and Crumb.

    Elial T. Foote, son of Samuel, studied with Dr. Samuel Guthrie at Sherburne, and became eminent as a physician at Jamestown, N. Y. Among those born in Sherburne, or studied there, who have practised medicine elsewhere, are Drs. John F. Gray, the celebrated Homoeopathist late of New York, Alfred W. Gray, Patrick W. Gray, (sons of John Gray, Jr.,) Squire White, (brother of Dr. Asa) Thomas S. Avery, George W. Avery, Alida C. Avery, now of San Jose, California, Lyman R. Raymond, of Oberlin, O., Scoville Lee, Lyman Rose, Marcius Simons, late of Portland, Chautauqua Co., Elbert M. Somers, of Deansville, N. Y., Philo L. Hatch, of San Jacinto, Cal., Homer Adams, Noah Weld, John Lynde, F. R. Lyman, a grandson of Dr. E. S. Lyman and great-grandson of Dr. Asa White, and Newton Bentley.


MISCELLANEOUS MEMORANDA.

    Lawyers of Sherburne---Ezra Osborn, Jonathan Pettit, Willard Weldon, Smith M. Purdy, (County Judge) Hon. Joseph Benedict, Lyman S. Rexford, Benjamin Rexford, Ira P. Barnes, Arba K. Maynard, Roswell Judson, (Judge and Surrogate) Demas Hubbard, (Member of Congress,) Frank Hubbard, Isaac Newton, (District Attorney,) Geo. P. Avery, David L. Follett, (Supreme Court Judge,) D. L. Atkyns, Stephen Holden, (Associate Judge,) Hon. Chas. A. Fuller.

    College Graduates of Sherburne---Raymond Dixon, Abram Dixon, Lyman S. Rexford, Samuel S. Stebbins, John H. Lathrop, Watts Sherman Lynde, Wm. Pitt Lynde, Charles James Lynde, Rev. Wm. W. Robinson, Isaac L. Cushman, Isaac S. Newton, Hubert A. Newton, Homer G. Newton, Yale; Rev. Ebenzer Raymond, Christopher Columbus Foster, Israel Foote, Smith Curtis, Union College; Rev. Eleazer Lathrop, Alvan Lathrop, Rev. Isaac F. Adams, Julius Hatch, Herschel H. Hatch, Joseph Guthrie, Rev. Lewis R. Foote, D. D., Hamilton College; Rev. Shubael Carver, Rev. J. W. Fox, and Rev. Jonathan Copeland, at other colleges.

    Among the merchants early of Sherburne were James and Zaccheus W. Elmore, Garrett Y. Lansing, Jr., Tilly and Chas. Lynde, of the West Hill, Alfred Gray, Joshua Pratt, Sr., and Elias Babcock; later, Alexander Holmes, Samuel H. Williams, S. P. Scoville, H. N. Fargo, Harvey Raymond, Joshua Pratt, Jr., Walstein and Elisha Pratt, William Cook, Walter and David Elsbre, Nathaniel Smith, Albert and Egbert Upham, Edson Whitney, F. B. Coats; in the grocery trade, Whitford & Fuller; forwarders, Joshua Pratt, Daniel, Seneca B., and Nelson Rexford; jewellers, Peter I. Davison, Chas. Davison; stoves and tinware, Nahum Starr.

    The following incident of the early days was related by the late John Foote of Hamilton a son of Judge Isaac Foote, in a letter dated Jan'y 21, 1874: "You remember when Utica was a small village, but I remember that a Doct. sent me there after medicine when I was 10 years, at about 1796. The road was indicated by marked trees and Indian paths, 6 houses on the way, 40 miles. At what is now Utica there were then 3 buildings-a log tavern, a small frame for a house partly covered, and a drug shop 10 by 12 set on posts drove into the quagmire like the foundation of a corn house. It was a quagmire all the way to what is now N. Hartford, 4 miles, where (only) Judge Sanger lived."

    The following incident as related by the late Dr. Devillo White in a letter to Dr. Elial T. Foote dated Feb. 16, 1874, is worth preserving: " I can recollect when the first store was built at the Forks, (Earlville) by Alfred Gray, by being sent with a message to Gray. Father told me on the start not to let the grass grow under the horse's feet. At first did not know what he meant, but as soon as I did, used the ship, ran the horse at full speed, and let Mr. Gray run him back. The horse was gone 50 minutes; 10 miles. If I recollect right, was not over 7 or 8 years old." Which evidences the Dr's "get there" qualities developed at that early age.

    The following memoranda of the settlers on the West Hill at an early day was made by Erastus Foote, son of Samuel Foote, the first innkeeper on the West Hill: "List of old settlers on West Hill, Sherburne, at my earliest recollection: Lansing, merchant; Tilly and Chas. W. Lynde his successors; Mr. Roswell Harrison who built the house afterwards owned by Tilly Lynde; Edmund Sanford, hatter; Deacon Joseph Adams, Mr. Daniel Hibbard, Mr. Roberts, Mr. Cushman, cabinet maker; Fairchild, printer; Seth P. Hart, saddle and harness maker; Frank Smith, left handed fiddler; Deacon Gray, old Mr. Snow, Mr. Philo Hatch, who built a house on the corner north of father's. South-Mr. Johnson, a cooper; Maj. Joseph Dixon; Daniel Hammond, brick maker; Perry Carver Culver and Lyons; on the road west from Maj. Dixon, Mr. Patrick, Lyons, and Allen Hammond. West-James Thompson, Dr. Farrell, John Lynde read with him; Henry Gardiner, Isaac Gardiner, Calvin and Demas Hubbard, Mr. Gillett, afterwards Deacon Catlin's, Rev. Joshua Knight; across the Creek, old Mr. Wing, and Charles Brown the stuttering man. North-Capt. Daniel D. Gardiner, James Guthrie, afterwards Deacon Gifford's; Joseph Guthrie, Deacon McCulloch, Fred'k Smith, or Gardiner, kept tavern, just before we cross the bridge; Capt. Ladd, Daniel Calkins, Maj. Waters, Mr. Otis, Mr. Graves, Capt. Daniels, Justus B. and James Smith, &c. On the road running northwest from Smyrna was Wilcox, Benj. Guthrie, old Mr. Jenks, Capt. Sexton, Mr. Wood, Capt. Hall, Dr. Stowell, Mr. Kershaw, the miller. In relation to location of the Ashery you are mistaken. I had located in my mind and spoke to Mr. Lynde without telling where I located, and he at once named the same place I had located it. It was down east and back of Capt. Gardiner's towards the river just at the edge of the swamp in the woods."


FINIS.

    As a picture of the simplicity that characterized the primitive days in Sherburne, the following memoranda copied from the original record in Cornelius Clark's old Field Book date of 1795: "Corn husking, myself and girls, 4 days." Again: "Molly, 1 day. Myself and Molly 6 days. Molly, 1 day." And this was the Molly (Mary) Clark who afterwards was the wife of Benjamin Rexford, and so the mother of the noted Rexford family of Sherburne.

    The following is from an interview by Judge Stephen Holden with the late Alfred Raymond: "In early days Albany was the only market; no wool to sell before 1812; flax for home use; rope walk in Sherburne 1820; double drag and patent plows introduced 1824-5; wheat produced as high as 50 bus. per acre; corn do., 80; potatoes, 400; 99 miles from West Hill to Albany; potatoes 12 ½ c., and butter do. War 1812, wheat sold as high as 15 shillings. Cold season 1816-17 corn almost a total failure, wheat, $2; seed corn in 1817 worth $4 to $7 per bushel. Frost 1816 killed corn in Aug.; snow in June. Wild potatoes doubtful." In regard to the cold season of 1816, the widow of Irad Raymond now of Angola in her 97th year, says that wheat was worth $2 per bushel, and calico $2 per yard that year.

    It would be pleasant to add many another page to the story of the earlier and later days in Sherburne; to portray other scenes, to record other facts, to add other names to the list that well deserve to be remembered, to present other pictures of dear Sherburne days which will be enshrined in memory, and to delve still deeper into the archives of the past; but these leaflets presented may be preserved for the benefit of the future historian, who will elaborate at his pleasure when another Centennial, or Semi-Centennial shall have rolled around with its records of the yet to be. The poet well sings of Sherburne, and in old "Sherburne's" ryhme and rhythm and harmonies, we will let him sing:

"While shepherds watched their flocks by night,
All seated on the ground,
The angel of the Lord came down
And glory shone around."


Transcribed by Mary G. Hafler, December, 2003.
Sherburne Centennial
Town of Sherburne
Chenango Co, NY
You are our 8052 visitor since 8 Mar 2005 -- thanks for stopping by!
Last updated: 10 Mar 2005