of Rensselaerswyck 1630-1656
Not Recorded as a Ship Passenger
First Name J - Z
Jacob de Brouwer
Received apparently in 1649, permission to build on hofstee lot, next to Mr. hogens (de Hooges), for which, from 1650 to 1652, he is charged with a rent of f16 a year.
Jacob Hevingh (Hevick)
Was employed on de Vlackte from the harvest of 1646 till May 1, 1647, and thereafter did a variety of work such as helping to erect a new barn, hauling lumber, carting hops, etc. From March 3, 1649, to 1655, he is charged with f20 a year for a house lot and garden opposite Castle Island. In Dec. 1649 he was prosecuted for stealing some boards. He owned a house and brewhouse which about 1655 were sold at public auction and after passing through several hands were bought on Feb. 19, 1655, by Adriaen Jansz, from Leyden.
From Stoutenburch, (near Amersfoort, in the province of Utrecht); is mentioned in the court proceedings as farmer on de Vlackte under date of June 18, 1648, though Jan Thomasz' contract as farmer was not ended by van Slichtenhorst till March 25, 1649, he took over the lease of the farm on the terms granted to Arent van Curler, in Holland, Sept. 30, 1647, with property valued at f1426.
Jacob Jansz Stol
Signs himself Jacob Jansz Hap; appears first in the accounts of the colony under date of 1645 and in that year furnished various colonists with shoes, stockings, shirts and other supplies. He acted as skipper between Rensselaerswyck and New Amsterdam in July 1649, and soon after succeeded Harry Albertsz, from London, as ferrymaster of the colony. Feb. 15, 1652, he accompanied Johannes Dyckman in serving on the authorities of the colony an extract from the resolution of the director general and council of January 29, 1651, and a reply to the request for restitution of the colony's cannon. In 1658, he lived at the Esopus where with Evert Pels he had bought land in 1654.
Is charged under date of June 12, 1643, with 16 stivers and 4 pence for 1/4 yard of duffel. No other reference to him is found in the records of the colony.
Jacob Luyersz (Luijersz)
Was in the colony before Oct 19, 1651, being ordered on that day to fulfill the terms of his contract with Jochem, the baker. March 2, 1652, Claesje, the negro girl of Sander Leendertsz, testified that she had delivered some of the goods which she stole from her master to Jacob Luyersz, who promised to take her to the Manhatans and there get her a husband.
Jacob Simonsz Klomp
Appears among those who took the oath of fealty to the patroon on Nov. 28, 1651. Feb. 1, 1652, he was granted a lot next to that of Steeven Jansz, the rent to begin at Easter 1653.
Jacob Toenijs (Teunisz)
Was employed by Jan Verbeeck, presumably as a tailor. Feb. 22, 1649, Director van Slichtenhorst attempted to arrest him in the greenen bos (pine woods), for abusive language to the director and assault on the director's son, but was prevented from doing so by Jacob Adriaensz Rademaecker and Jacob Adriaensz Wagenaer. Jacob Toenijs is probably the same as Cobus de snijer (the tailor), who is referred to in 1657, and may also be the same as Jacob Toenisz, from Tuijl, in Gelderland who married Hilletje Toenis, at New Amsterdam, March 29, 1658.
Jacob (Jansz) van Schermerhoorn
Presumably from Schermerhorn, in the province of North Holland; was in Rensselaerswyck in 1650 and perhaps as early as 1648, Jan Barentsz Wemp being credited between those two dates with the price of 12 lb of nails, paid to labbatie and shermerhoorn.
From Hoorn (province of North Holland); was at New Amsterdam in January, 1639 and may have come to Rensselaerswyck at an early date, though his name does not occur till May 12, 1650, when he was about to leave the colony. Efforts were made to retain him by offering him a choice of several farms, but he declined to take any, stating that he had not been able to support his wife and children satisfactorily. Oct. 1, 1650, he received permission to move to the Manhatans. He obtained a patent for land near the Kil van Kol, Oct. 23, 1654, and died before Aug. 17, 1657, when his widow Trijntje Jacobs married Jacob Stoffelsz.
Testified on March 4, 1649, before the court of Rensselaerswyck, that the servant of Sander Leendertsz had gone into the woods with a loaf of bread and brought Indians with six packs of skins to his master's house. No other reference to Meulewels is found and it is doubtful whether he was a colonist.
From Dublin; testified January 20, 1651, as to the killing of a cow and a horse of Thomas Chambers by the Indians in 1648 and 1649. He received a lease of a new farm, to be established north of de Steene hoeck, for the term of 6 years, beginning Sept. 1, 1649, but Dec. 21, 1649, the lease was transferred to Claes Teunisz. In 1656, he lived at Catskill and Feb. 20, 1659, a farm at Catskill, sold by him to Jan Dircksz, from Bremen, was conveyed by the latter to Eldert Gerbertsz Cruyf.
Jan Baptist (Johan Baptista) van Rensselaer
Was in the colony as early as June 29, 1651, and Oct. 18, 1651, at the earnest solicitation of the court consented to accept the office of Gerechts Persoon (member of the court), in place of Rutger Jacobsz, who had asked to be relieved of his duties. In the accounts he is credited with an annual salary of f1000 as director of the colony, from July 24, 1652, when van Slichtenhorst was most of the time at the Manhatans and van Rensselaer acted as director.
Jan Barentsz Wemp
Nicknamed Poest; appears to have been in the colony as early as 1643 and for a time to have served under Cornelis Teunisz, from Breuckelen. From April 10, 1645, to June 11, 1646, he had charge of the patroon's farm called de Vlackte and during that period is credited with wages at the rate of f300 a year, for the services of himself and his wife. He left de Vlackte June 11, 1646, on account of some sporlingh met de wilden (trouble with the Indians) and Aug. 13, 1646, agreed to take charge of the saw- and grist-mill on the fifth creek for the term of five years beginning July 25, 1646, at wages of f13 a month and f100 a year for board. March 20, 1647, with Andries Herbertsz, he took a lease of land south of Jan Dircksz, from Bremen, and east of Albert Andriesz, along the creek of Castle Island and the mill (Normans) kill, for six years, at an annual rent of f275 from Nov. 1, 1647. Andries Herbertsz, however changed his plans and Jan Barentsz agreed to carry out the terms of the contract alone. He remained in possession of this farm till Nov. 1, 1654, when he took over the farm of Thomas Chambers situated on the east side of the river on what later became known as the Poesten Kill. Jan Barentsz obtained a lot adjoining the stockade and north of Thomas Jansz, Feb. 1, 1652, the rent to begin at Easter 1653. In 1661, he owned a house which was leased by Jeremias van Rensselaer for the use of the schout, Gerard Swart. Jan Barentsz died between May 18 and June 28, 1663. His widow married Sweer Theunisz, from Velsen, (near Arnhem), who was engaged in Holland, Nov. 9, 1660, as a farm hand for Jan Barentsz.
Jan Bastiaensz van Gutsenhoven
The first reference to him in the records of the colony is under date of Feb. 8, 1652, when he testified to Dyckman's appearance in the patroon's court, accompanied by an armed posse. He was apparently engaged in business and in some way seems to have been related to Wouter van Twiller, or to the latter's wife, Maria Momma. He died in the colony between April 3-13, 1666 and July 6-16, 1667.
Jan de Neger
(The negro); is credited in 1646 with f35 advanced by him for clothes which he was to receive in the service of the patroon, and in 1646, or 1647, with f38 Voor dat hij hem heeft Laetten gebruijcken tot scherp Rechter, ter executie van Justitie, over den misdadiger Wolf Nijssen (for having consented to act as executioner to carry out the sentence upon the criminal, Wolf Nijssen). O'Callaghan, in his History of New Netherland, I:320 and 441, refers to him as the "hangman" of the colony. the wording of the entry in the account clearly shows that no such office existed and that the execution of Wolf Nijssen was an exceptional case, in which the negro was induced to serve.
Jan Fransz van Hoesen (Hoesem)
Was apparently in the colony as early as 1646, and in 1648 helped to erect a new barn for Jan Barentsz Wemp. By resolution of April 1, 1650, a garden was assigned to him between the first and second creeks and January 18, 1652, he was given the use of the place of Willem Juriaensz, the baker, on condition that he let said Willem stay in his house "as long as he lives, or opportunity offers." His wife was Volkertje Juriaens.
Also referred to as Jan Louwrensz Appel; appears first in the colony under date of Oct. 12, 1648, as surety for Michiel Jansz. It is not unlikely that he was a relative of Andriaen Jansz, from Leyden, alias Appel.
Is first mentioned about 1644, and in 1646 is referred to as the former servant of Adriaen van der Donck. June 11, 1646, while de Hooges was at the Manhatans, he was engaged by Pieter Hartgers as farmer on de Vlackte, in place of Jan Barentsz Wemp, at yearly wages of f250, cloth for a suit, one pair of shoes and two shirts. March 25, 1649, Director van Slichtenhorst ended his contract. In 1648 he had a house built by Thomas Chambers and from 1653 to 1658 he, Pieter Hartgers and Volckert Jansz appear as lessees of the farm on Papscanee Island formerly occupied by Juriaen Bestval. He bought this farm, jointly with Volckert Jansz, in 1658 and continued to pay tithes till 1684, from which date till 1688 tithes were paid by his widow. With Volckert Jansz he obtained a patent for land at Schodac in 1663.
Jan (Johan, Johannes) van Twiller
Referred to by Jeremias van Rensselaer as Neeff Jan van Twiller (cousin Jan van Twiller). He was probably a younger brother of Wouter van Twiller, or perhaps, of Aert Goossens van Twiller, who on July 26, 1663, executed in the colony a power of attorney to Mr. Peel van Hennedela, shout at Nieukerck, to demand of his brother in law Aert Janz, shoemaker at Nieukerck, an accounting of the estate of his deceased father Goosen van Twiller and his mother Emmeke. Jan van Twiller was one of the Gecommitteerden (commissioners) in the colony in 1649, and at that time boarded with van Slichtenhorst. From July 24, 1652, to July 24, 1657, he held the office of raedts persoon (councilor), at an annual salary of f50. He probably left the colony in 1657.
Jan Willemsz Schut (Schuth)
Was a cooper by trade and appears first in the accounts under date of 1646. He was to have sailed by den Harinck in Sept. 1637, but for some reason failed to go and Frans Altersz, the cooper, came in his stead. In 1657, appears at Beverwyck Willem Jansz Schut, alias Dommelaer (the dozer), who was probably a son of Jan Willemsz Schut.
Baker; petitioned, Sept. 28, 1651, for a place in the byeenwooninge (village) to support himself by baking and was granted a hofsteede op de kil (house lot on [Rutten?] kill) at an annual payment of f32 for the right to bake and to trade. January 26, 1652, he was ordered to remove within eight days the wood pile and pigsty from the lot of Jan van Hoesen and to refrain from molesting him or his family.
Johan de Hulter
Was a participant in the colony of Rensselaerswyck and sailed with his family and a number of free colonists by the Graft, in May 1653 (N.Y. Col. Mss, II:78). March 7, 1654, he obtained a lease of a farm north of the fifth creek, for which he is charged an annual rent of f275 for four years. In the accounts he is also charged with f900 for the purchase of a tract of land which is not described, but which is probably the land conveyed to his wife by Jan Baptist van Rensselaer, Aug. 24, 1654, upon which she seems to have established a farm, a brickyard and a tile kiln, all of which were sold by her at auction on Nov. 7, 1655. Johan de Hulter was a member of the court of the colony in April 1655 and died before Aug. 7, 1658. Aug 5, 1660, his widow Johanna, who was the daughter of Johannes de Laet, appears as the wife of Jeronimus Ebbingh.
Often referred to as Juriaen de Glasemaaecker (the glazier); signs his name Jure Jan tunsen tappen and Jure Jan tunsen van tappen. January 25, 1652, the court of Rensselaerswyck granted him a lot between Gijsbert Cornelisz, the tavern keeper, and the land of Thomas Jansz, the rent to begin at Eater 1652. He kept a tavern in 1659.
Lambert van Valckenburch
Reference to him is found in the court proceedings of Rensselaerswyck under date of March 7, 1652, when Claes Jansz, from Bockhoven, is prosecuted for having his helper do some hauling for Lambert van Valckenburch, contrary to the ordinances of Oct. 16, 1648, Nov. 23, 1651, and Dec. 18, 1651. Lambert van Valckenburch was at New Amsterdam as early as January 1644 and received a patent for land there, March 16, 1647. In 1652 he was probably an inhabitant of Fort Orange and not a colonist of Rensselaerswyck.
Laurens (Louwris) Jansz
Lived with his wife Stijntje Pieters on 't goet (farm on the fifth creek?) of Adriaen Huybertsz, in January 1650. The same year a garden was granted to him north of the large garden of Sander Leendertsz, according to resolution of the court, dated April 1, 1650.
Lucas Elbertsen (Elbertsz)
Appears but once in the records of the colony, under date of May 29, 1643, when his account is charged to Cornelis Teunisz, from Meerkerck. He was in Amsterdam in June 1646 and in Beverwyck in 1661.
Lucas Pieteras (Koijemans)
Mentioned in the court proceedings of Rensselaerswyck under date of Jan. 1650, and is called the brother of Barent Pietersz (Koijemans), who came in 1639.
Received a lot in the byeenwooninge (village) and agreed not to trade with private traders, Jan. 12, 1651. He is perhaps the same person as Marten de metselaer (the mason), who is mentioned as early as May 25, 1647.
Is credited in the accounts with wages for baking at the house of the patroon and with beer furnished between 1644 and 1646. He died before Oct. 13, 1648.
Referred to Paulus Jansz Noorman and Paulus de Noorman; was wounded by Jacob Lambertsz van Dorlandt in 1648, and by Jacob Jansz Flodder in 1650.
From Gorecum (Gorinchem, in the province of South Holland); testified on Jan. 20, 1651, as to the killing of a horse of Thomas Chambers by the Indians in 1649.
Testified Feb. 1, 1652, that he, Jan Dircksz, from Bremen, Pieter Teunisz, Compeer and other entered upon lands at Catskill on condition that they be free from taxes for ten years.
Philip Pietersz Schuyler
According to O'Callaghan, History of New Netherland, 2:177*, Philip Pietersz Schuyler came from Amsterdam to America in 1650, and married Dec 22, 1650, Margareta van Slichtenhorst, daughter of the director of Rensselaerswyck. The earliest reference to him in the accounts of the colony is under date of 1652, when he is charged with a small amount for some old boards from the patroon's house. March 25, 1652, he testified that Dyckman had stated "that he (Schuyler) would not have his father in law long, and that he, Dyckman, had written information to the effect"; also that Dyckman had threatened to run him and Robert Vastrick through when, on New Years day 1652, they tried to prevent the soldiers from beating the son of Director van Slichtenhorst. In the court proceedings, in 1652, the name is spelled Scheuler and Scheuller, in the accounts after 1655, the usual spellings are Schuijler and Schuyler.
*2:177: This was the first of the Schuyler family who settled in this country. He came from Amsterdam to America in 1650, and was married on 22d December of that year, to Margrina van Slechtenhorst, aged 22, daughter of the Directory of Rensselaerswyck, by Anthonie de Hooges the secretary of the colonie, "in presence of the officers both of Fort Orange and Rensselaerswyck, and of some of the principal inhabitants thereof." By this lady he had ten children. viz.: Guysbert, Gertrude, (who married Stephanus van Cortland;) Alida, (who married, first, Rev. Nicholas van Rensselaer, second Robert Livingston;) Pieter, Brant, Arent, Sybilla, (died aged four weeks,) Philip, Johannes, and Margritta. Pieter Schuyler was the first mayor of Albany. John, the youngest son, held a captain's commission in 1690, when he led an expedition into Canada, and penetrated as far as La Prairie, being then only twenty-two years of age. He possessed great influence among the Indians, and is referred to frequently in La Potherie's History of North America. His grandson, General Philip Schuyler, occupies too high a place in this history, of this State, to need further remark here. Philip Pietersen Schuyler died at Albany, on the 9th March, 1683/4, and was buried on the 11th of the same month in the church of that place, then situated at the junction of State street and Broadway. His will bears date Tuesday evening, 1st May, 1683, O.S.
Referred to as Pieter Adriaensz alias Soogemackelyck (so easy), and as Pieter Macklick (easy); was one of the tavern keepers in Rensselaerswyck whom the director general and council in 1656 ordered to be arrested and sent to New Amsterdam for refusing to pay the excise.
Was at New Amsterdam in 1643 and would seem to have been a relative of Jonas Bronck, who was probably a Dane. He is charged from 1650 to 1652 with an annual rent of four beavers for a lot in the bijeenwoninge (village), on which he received permission to build. Sept. 7, 1651, the court granted him permission to erect a tavern near his house, the director having withdrawn his request that according to instructions from the guardians of the young patroon but two taverns be allowed.
(Hartgars, Hartgras, Harties, Hartiens, Hertgers)
Signs his name Pieter hartgerts. He is credited in the accounts with a salary of f14 a month, from Nov. 1, 1644, to Feb. 1, 1648, and during this period, which closely corresponds to that of van Curler's absence, appears to have assisted de Hooges in the management of the colony. From 1647 to 1652, he is charged with f32 a year for ground rent and the right to trade, and as early as 1646 he seems to have had a brewery. May 4, 1649, he and de Hooges leased for three years a garden between Fort Orange and the patroon's hof, where formerly the patroon's trading house stood, and about the same time Pieter Hartgers agreed to pay an annual rent, beginning in 1653, of four beavers for a lot for his mother in law Annetjen Domine (Annetje Jans, widow of Domine Bogardus) on which he built a house. From May 1, 1653 to May 1, 1658, Pieter Hartgers, Volckert Jansz and Jan Thomasz were joint lessees of a farm on Papscanee Island, formerly occupied by Juriaen Bestval. Pieter Hartgers was at Amsterdam Dec. 20, 1660, and made an agreement with Jan Baptist van Rensselaer, regarding the purchase of 30 pieces of duffel which were to be delivered to him on his return to Fort Orange.
From Hoorn (province of North Holland); also referred to asPieter Jansz de Boer, and Pieter de Boer (the farmer); is first mentioned under date of Dec. 17, 1648, when Hans Vos is ordered to serve him for four months according to contract. He was still in Rensselaerswyck in 1666.
From Brunswijck, (Germany); is first mentioned under date of March 28, 1648, as having taken farm implements, houses and cattle, formerly used by him and Crijn Cornelisz, with him to Catskill. In 1652 and 1653, Pieter Teunisz and Jan Dircksz, from Bremen, were summoned to appear before the court to settle their accounts.
Pieter Winne (Winnen)
Also referred to as Pieter de Vlamingh (the Fleming); charged in the accounts with an annual rent of f275 and tithes from stubble time 1652 till May 1, 1655, for a farm, apparently situated at Bethlehem, which on April 10, 1655, was taken over by Eldert Gerbertsz Cruyf; also with two years rent of a sawmill, at f150 a year; and with two years hire of two horses for the mill at f60 a year. He made a will, June 1, 1677 (Notarial Papers, 2:11-13, Albany County clerk's office), in which it is stated that he was born in the city of Gent in Vlaenderen and his wife, Tannetie Adams, in the city of Leeuwaerden in Vrieslandt.
Rem (Remmer) Jansz
From Jewerden (Jeveren, or Jever, in Oldenburg), smith; was at New Amsterdam as early as 1638, and in 1643 owned land on Long Island. Early in May 1650, he obtained from the authorities of Rensselaerswyck a lease of a garden adjoining the churchyard, and is referred to as being an Inwoonder int Fort Orangien (inhabitant of Fort Orange).
From Breuckelen, (in the province of Utrecht); appears with his wife Marritje Baerentsz in the records of the colony under date of Sept. 25, 1651, when they leased a small parcel of land between the third and fourth creeks for eight years, at f 25 a year, the lease to run from Easter 1652. January 25, 1652, the court granted him permission to make brick.
Smith; was at New Amsterdam in 1638 and succeeded Burger Jorisz as smith of Rensselaerswyck on Aug. 18, 1639. He does not appear in the colony after 1647.
Richard Briggom (Brigham?)
Englishman; was employed by Antony de Hooges, from 1645 to 1647, in chopping wood, cooking, spading and similar work. In 1646 his wages are credited to Sander Leendertsz.
Is first mentioned under date of Jan. 11, 1652, when he became bail for Lucas, the brother in law of Jan Thomasz, and his partner Arijen. March 25, 1652, Philip Pietersz Schuyler and Robbert Vastrick testified as to Dyckman's threatening to run them through with his rapier when on New Year's day 1652 they tried to prevent soldiers form beating the son of Director van Slichtenhorst. He left the colony before Sept. 30, 1657.
Tailor, brother of Gijsbert Adriaensz, from Bunnick; apparently employed by Jan Michielsz. He does not appear in records of the colony after Oct. 1651.
Simon de Groot;
April 10, 1647, Jan Michielsz is credited with f28, paid to Simon de Groot for work done at the farm called de Vlackte. He is probably the same person as Symon Symonsz Groot, who went to the Esopus in 1662.
Master carpenter; moved from the Manhatans to the colony in July 1649 with his wife and daughter, and immediately entered into a contract at wages of f20 a month, which were paid to him for two years. Jan 18, 1651, he acknowledged that he had tapped beer at his house without a license from Director van Slichtenhorst. Feb. 1, 1652, he obtained permission to occupy a lot next to Hendrick Reur, the rent to begin in 1653.
Teunis Cornelisz Spitsenberch
Signs his name Teunis Cornelise spitsenberch. He and Barent Pietersz Koijemans are from Dec. 14, 1654, to Dec. 14, 1657, charged with an annual rent of f150 for a mill on the same creek which they were authorized to build on Aug. 3, 1656. Teunis Cornelisz Spitsenberch appears as a member of the court in Rensselaerswyck in 1658, 1660, 1661, and 1664. In 1656 mention is made of a Catrijn jans spitbergen, who may have been his wife.
Thomas Chambers (Chamber)
Carpenter; appears first in the accounts in 1646, in connection with building a kitchen and chimney at the house of Domine Megapolensis. Sept. 7, 1646, he entered into an agreement about the lease of the land between the Wynants and Poesten Kills, in the southern part of the present city of Troy, for the term of five years, from Nov. 1, 1647. He occupied this land till July 1654 and shortly after moved to the Esopus. Sept. 23, 1650, he was chosen to accompany Arent van Curler to the Maquaes to renew the former covenant of friendship. He was nicknamed Clabbordt, a corruption of the English term clapboard, and may have introduced into the colony the method of weatherboarding houses with clapboards, which is not practiced in Holland.
Thomas Coningh (Coninck, Cuningh, Keuningh)
Is credited with f14 for seven days' service on the occasion of the wedding of Antony de Hooges, in Oct. 1647, and appears among those who took the oath of fealty, Nov. 28, 1651. Feb. 19, 1655, he sold to Adriaen Jansz, from Leyden, a house, brewhouse, pigpen and fence, which he had acquired form Juriaen Teunisz on Feb 1, 1655 and which formerly belonged to Jacob Hevick. March 18, 1649, Cornelis Segersz engaged a boy of Thomas Coningh to help him in the harvest. Thomas Coningh is doubtless the same person as tomas de Conine, who married Marritjen Frans, from Beets, (province of Friesland), at New Amsterdam, Sept. 22, 1639.
Was employed by Christoffel Davids in 1649 and 1650 and is referred to as a mason and an Englishman.
Thomas Higgins (Higgens, Higges, Heggens)
Referred to as Thomass Higgins alias Compeer, tomas Compeer engelsman and Kleyne Thomas alias Compeer; worked on de Vlackte in 1647, and about the same time appears to have been in the employ of Thomas Chambers. About 1650 he seems to have moved to Catskill. April 28, 1657, he entered into a contract for the use of two horses, for the period of six years. Perhaps he is the same as Thomas de Engelsman, who about 1646 is referred to as maet (partner) of Claes Teunisz Uylenspiegel.
Thomas Sandersz (Sanders, Sandersen)
From Amsterdam; was an early resident of New Amsterdam and came to the colony about July 13, 1650, when the court granted "tomes Sanders...Smith, living at or near the Manhatans," permission to settle in the byeenwooninge (village) to support himself by his trade. July 17, 1650, Saertje Cornelis, wife of Thomas Saandersz Smith, testified as to misdeeds of William Juriensz, the baker. Thomas Sanders was a smith and occupied at the Manhatans some time before 1649 the mallesmits berch (crazy smith's hill), which may have derived its name from him (cf.NY Col. Mss, 3:68; 4:235.)
Testified on January 12, 1651, as to the insolence of Jacob Lambertsz to Director van Slichtenhorst, Oct. 9, 1650, on the farm called the Hoogeberch.
Was ordered, July, 1649, to present himself within 24 hours at the house of Director van Slichtenhorst to receive orders where to go according to his contract. The same day, Broer Cornelis was notified not to harbor him.
Charged in the accounts with f32 for hire of a horse from May 1, 1657, to May 1, 1658.
Mentioned as a servant girl of Jan Baptist van Rensselaer in 1656.
After 1651 usually referred to as Volckert Jansz, and still later as Volckert Jansz Douw. His name is first mentioned under date of April 27, 1642; in the harvest of 1647, he was employed on the Vlackte. From 1647 to 1649, he and Jan Thomasz are jointly charged with f32 a year for ground rent and the right to trade; from 1649 to 1652 Volckert Jansz is charged with f32 a year for his place aenden berch (on the hill) on which he built a house. From May 1, 1653, to May 1, 1658, Pieter Hartgers, Volckert Jansz and Jan Thomasz are charged jointly with an annual rent of f560 for a farm on Papscanee Island, formerly occupied by Juriaen Bestval. Volckert Jansz and Jan Thomas bought this farm in 1658, for 950 beavers or f7600; and Oct. 12, 1694, Volckert Jansz settled his account for one half of the tithes till 1688. January 24, 1664, the council of Rensselaerswyck passed a resolution annulling the purchase of land from the Indians, at Schodac, made by Volckert Jansz and Jan Thomasz without the consent of the colony. When notice of this resolution was served on them, they produced a patent from Stuyvesant, dated Nov. 3, 1663. In 1650, Volckert Jansz accompanied Arent van Curler on an embassy to the Maquaes.
A son in law of Johannes Megapolensis; sailed from Holland shortly after April 16, 1650, and preached in the colony of Rensselaerswyck in 1650 and 1651. He returned to Holland in Nov. 1651. In the court proceedings of the colony, under date of Aug. 4, 1650, occurs what purports to be an extract from a letter from Wouter van Twiller to Gerrit Vastrick, asking him to enjoin van Slichtenhorst not to let Wilhelmus Grasmeer preach in the colony, because he had been forbidden to preach by the Classis of Alckmaer. The passage was read by Gerrit Vastrick and written down by Antony de Hooges, but was afterwards found not to agree with a copy furnished by Vastrick. Aug. 15, 1650, Vastrick refused to have a certified copy made and the authenticity of the extract was questioned.
Referred to as Willem leenertsz geelgieter, and Willem de geelgietter (the brass founder); is credited with f150 for wages earned on de Vlackte, from July 1, 1647, to May 1, 1648, and charged with grain in 1649 and beer in 1654. He may have been in the colony as early as 1646.
Willem Jansz Stol (Stoll)
Cooper; is charged from 1650 to 1652 with ground rent of f16 a year for a lot granted to him in May 20, 1650. He married the widow of Claes Hendricksz and moved to the Esopus in 1661.
Wolf Nijssen (Wolphert Nys)
From t'Stift, (bishopric of Utrecht); bound himself at the Manhatans, June 15, 1643, to serve Evert Pels and his wife in Rensselaerswyck for two years, at wages of f115 a year. After the expiration of his term of service, he was employed by de Hooges and others to sweep chimneys, cart hay, chop wood and do various other tasks. In 1646, or 1647, he was executed for a crime which is not named in the records.
Extracts from Settlers of Rensselaerswyck, 1630-1658 In A. J. F. Van Laer, Van Rensselaer Bowier Manuscripts, Being the Letters of Kiliaen Van Rensselaer, 1630-1643, Albany, University of the State of New York, (c)1908, p 805-846.