New Netherland and Beyond
Immigrants to New Netherland
In the Harinck
Sailed from the Texel in May 1639,
Arrived at New Amsterdam, July 7, 1639
Andries Hudde, and wife Gertrude, returning to New Netherland.
[See Revised History of Harlem, James Riker, (c) 1904, page 134-135]
Persons to the Colony of Rensselaerswyck:
Arrived by den Harinck and served for four years, beginning Aug. 14, 1639, under Cornelis Teunisz, from Breuckelen.
Barent Pietersz Coeymans (Koijemans)
Came by den Harinck and was engaged for six years, beginning Aug. 14, 1639, at f30 a year for the first two years, f40 for the next two years and f50 for the last two years. He worked for four years
under Pieter Cornelisz, the millwright, and is in the accounts referred to as the latter's jonghen (boy). Early in Oct. 1645, Barent Pietersz and Jan Gerritsz entered into an agreement with de
Hooges for sawing boards at the patroon's mill on the fifth creck; Oct. 11, 1646, the agreement was canceled and a new one entered into whereby the two men jointly took charge of the sawmill, and Jan
Gerritsz alone of "both the mills" (sawmill and grist-mill?), the contract to last till the end of Jan Gerritsz' term of service. May 18, 1648, (perhaps the date of Jan Gerritsz' death), Barent
Pietersz and Rutger Jacobsz leased the sawmill and grist-mill on the fifth creek, at an annual rent of f550. From Dec. 14, 1648, to Dec. 14, 1654, the same men are charged with f125 a year for water
rights of a sawmill on the fifth creek, which Rutger Jacobsz took over from Andries de Vos. Dec. 14, 1654, the same water rights were leased to Barent Pietersz and Teunis Cornelisz Spitsenberch for
f150 a year, and Aug. 3, 1656, the two men obtained permission to erect a third mill on the fifth creek for which they are charged f100 a year, from Aug. 1, 1657. After 1645, Barent Pietersz is
sometimes referred to as Burent de Molenaer (the miller). Jan. 19, 1651, he is called swaeger (brother in law) of Andries de Vos. A brother by the name of Lucas Pietersz is mentioned in
the court proceedings in 1650.
From Meerkerck, (province of South Holland); was engaged as farm laborer for Gerrit Theusz de Reux and sailed with him, being then 20 years of age. His first account in the colony runs from Feb. 2 to
Aug. 20, 1637; he next appears in 1640, and later is said to have come on den Harinck; presumably therefore, he visited Holland shortly after Aug. 20, 1637, and returned to the colony by den Harinck
in 1639. He is charged with three years' hire of two horses from 1640 to 1643, and credited with wages earned in cutting and hauling timber. His name does not appear in the records of the colony
From Leyden; tobacco planter and carpenter, sailed by den Harinck in 1639; he is usually referred to as Jan Cornelisz Timmerman and appears to have been a master carpenter who had other
carpenters in the colony in his employ. July 18, 1641, the patroon designates him as the person who may build the proposed church. His account runs from 1639 to 1647. In 1646 he offered to repair the
mill dam on the fifth creek for f550, but his bid was thought too high and rejected.
Marten Hendricksz (Bierkracker)
From Hamelwaerde (Hamelwarden, near Freiburg on the Elbe, Hanover); Came on den Harinck and was engaged for six years as farm hand at f100 a year, beginning Aug. 14, 1639.
He was for three years and 8 1/2 months employed by Michiel Jansz, and for two years and 3 1/2 months by Cornelis Teunisz, from Breuckelen. From Nov. 1, 1645, to March 1, 1646, he was in the service
of Antony de Hooges. He is credited with 26 weeks' board of Hans Vos, the court messenger, and in 1651 appears to have had an interest in the brewery, with Evert Pels. In 1657, he is referred to as
Marten de bier Craaker and Marten de bierkracker. He is perhaps the same person as Marten Hendricksz Verbeeck, who on Feb. 1, 1652, obtained a lot next to Jacob Simonsz Klomp, the rent
to commence Easter 1653.
[See Also Source #77, page 144 and 414]
Sander Leendertsz Glen
Sailed with his wife, Catalijn Donckesz, by den Harinck, in 1639. March 11, 1649, they acknowledged their signatures to contracts of March 28, 1639, and Feb. 23, 1645, and stated that they sailed the
two yachts of the patroon from 1641, for three years, "but not when they tapped liquor." The nature of the two contracts is not disclosed. Sander Leendertsz is credited with wine and beer furnished
between 1644 and 1646, and charged with f32 a year from 1647 to 1652, for ground rent and the right to trade with the Indians. Aug. 2, 1649, Director van Slichtenhorst notified Sander Leendertsz and
other skippers not to transport colonists to the Manhatans without his consent.
Source: #76, #77