New Netherland and Beyond
Immigrants to New Netherland
In the Rensselaerswyck
Sailed from the Texel October 8, 1636
Arrived at New Amsterdam March 4, 1637
Persons to the Colony of Rensselaerswyck:
Is credited with six years wages at f100 a year, from April 8, 1637; like others whose term of service began at that date, he came probably by the Rensselaerswyck. For four and one half years he was
employed by Cornelis Teunisz, from Breuckelen. In 1652, he is charged with five years rent, at f300 a year, for a farm on the fifth creek, which he seems to have taken over from Rutger Jacobsz, and
for the same length of time with f20 a year for trading privileges.
From Frederikstad (in the southwest of Norway); hence in the early records, his designation as Noorman. After 1670, he became known as Albert Andriesz Bradt. August 26, 1636, he joined
Pieter Cornelisz and Claes Jansz in an agreement with the patroon for the erection of a mill in the colony. In this agreement he is given as tobacco planter, 29 years of age. He sailed with his wife
Annetje Barents on the Rensselaerswyck, Oct. 8, 1636 and appears first in the colony under the date of April 17, 1637. Soon after his arrival he left Pieter Cornelisz and established himself as
tobacco planter. From May 4, 1652, to May 4, 1672, he is charged with an annual rent of f250 for two mills and land on the Normans Kill. Annetje Barents died before June 5, 1662, leaving him
eight children of whom the eldest was born November 2, 1636, on the ship Rensselaerswyck [see Captains Log] and named Storm, baptized in England. This son later
adopted the name of Van der Zee. Albert Andriesz married the second time Geertruy Pietersz Vosburgh. He is said to have died June 7, 1686.
[See Also Source #77, page 19-33, 42-43]
Tobacco planter; a brother of Albert Andriesz, from Frederikstad, and like him designated as Noorman. He appears to have come over with his brother on the Rensselaerswyck and to have stayed
with him in the colony for one year. His wages began April 2, 1637, at f75 a year. Between 1638 and 1646, he is various times credited with tobacco furnished to van Curler and de Hooges. May 1, 1658,
he obtained a lease for land opposite Beverwyck.
[See Also Source #77, page 33-36]
Generally referred to as Arent Pietersz Jongen, (the boy); was engaged for six years, beginning April 3, 1637, three years at f45 and three years at f75 a year, and served at different times
under Albert Andriesz, Cornelis Teunisz and Teunis Dircksz. He is probably the same person as Aert Pietersz alias Solder, or Solder Pietersz, who was furnished with supplies in 1642 and
who appears as late as 1651. The nickname Solder would seem to indicate that he was in charge of a graan zolder, that is, a grain loft, or granary. July 8, 1649, Aert Pietersz was
summoned before the court to state whether he would fulfill his promise to seecker vrouwmens, genaemt Blancke ael ( a certain woman, called fair Alida) and in reply, declared that he would
marry her at the first opportunity.
[See Also Source #77, page 46-47]
Hog dealer; entered into a contract with Kiliaen van Rensselaer before Oct. 4, 1636, and sailed by the Rensselaerswyck. March 22, 1637, he married at the Manhatans the widow of the murdered smith,
Cornelis Thomasz. Arent Steffeniersz is charged with supplies in the colony from April 17, 1637, to 1644. In 1639, he accompanied Pieter Cornelisz, from Munnickendam, to the Manhatans to get lime and
Commonly referred to as Carsten Carstensz Noorman; is first entered in the accounts under date of April 17, 1637, hence probably came on the Rensselaerswyck. Before 1644, he was employed as a
farm laborer, sawyer, stave splitter, millhand and roof thatcher. Afterwards he leased a garden, which in 1650 was granted to Gijsbert Cornelisz, from Weesp.
From Nykerck, (province of Gelderland); is credited with four years' wages, at f120 a year, beginning April 2, 1637, and with carpenter work done between 1642 and 1644 on houses of van Curler, van
der Donck, Megapolensis and others. Aug. 30, 1646, Antony de Hooges ordered Nicolaes Coorn, officer of the colony, to seize grain on the farm of Broer Cornelis and to turn the same over to Claes
Janz, from Nykerek, in payment of wages earned by him on de Vlackte while Broer Cornelis was at the Manhattans, as per account of Ruth Jacobsz.
From Buyrmalsen (Buurmalsem, in the province of Gelderland); sailed for New Netherland as a farm laborer in 1631, having been engaged by the patroon on May 27th, for the term of three years, and went
back to Holland shortly after Aug 2, 1634, on which date he is charged in the colony with f12:18 for clothes and brandy. Aug 15, 1636, he entered into a new contract with the patroon and the same
year he sailed by the Rensselaerswyck, accompanied by his wife Catelijntje Martens and a servant by the name of Cornelis Teunisz, from Westbroeck. On the voyage, Jan. 30, 1637, a son was born
named Hendrick Cornelisz, [see Captains Log]. Cornelis Maesen arrived in the colony the second time about April 17, 1637. From that time till his death, some time
before April 8, 1648, he occupied a farm on or near Papscanee Island. Cornelis Maesen and his wife were buried the same day; their effects were sold at auction Shrove Tuesday, 1649.
From Westbroeck also referred to as Cornelis Theunisz bos, Cornelis Theunisz van den bos, Cornelis Theunissen schoester, and Kees schoester; signs his name Cornelis thonisen os.
He came probably from the village of Westbroek, in the province of Utrecht, and would seem from the designation schoester, to have been a shoemaker by trade. He sailed with Cornelis Maesen by
the Rensselaerswyck, in 1636, and served him in the colony for six years, beginning April 8, 1637, at wages of f100 a year. As early as April 8, 1648, he and Teunis Dircksz van Vechten are mentioned
as guardians of the minor children of the late Cornelis Maesen. March 25, 1649, Cornelis Teunisz, from Westbroeck, Volckert Hansz and Cornelis Vos were warned not to engage in illicit trade with the
indians; April 3, 1649, their license was revoked for not observing the ordinance. July 13, 1650, Cornelis Teunisz was ordered to send Jan Hagemans, a free trader, away from his house; April 1, 1650,
he was granted the use of a garden between the first and second creeks. He was a magistrate of Fort Orange, prior to Aug. 19, 1662.
From Rotterdam; engaged as smith, Oct. 4, 1636, and sailed with his wife by the Rensselaerswyck. Dec 8, 1636, he was stabbed to death by his helper, Hans van Sevenhuysen, in a tavern at Ilfracombe.
His widow was married to Arent Steffeniersz, March 22, 1637, at New Amsterdam. Burger Jorisz took his place as smith of the colony.
From Houten, (Near Utrecht). His accounts in the colony run from April 20, 1637, to Aug. 21, 1639 and from January 1, 1641, to 1648. May 30, 1640, he is referred to by the patroon as about to sail
from Holland. Presumably, therefore, he came out on the Rensselaerswyck in 1637, went back to Holland in 1639 and returned to the colony by den Waterhondt in 1640, accompanied by Cornelis Crijnen,
Jan Crijnen, Jan Cornelisz and Jan Reyersz, all from Houten. He served at first under Gerrit Theusz de Reux and from January 1, 1641, to January 1, 1642, as farm hand on a farm in Greenbush, which he
thereafter seems to have occupied as farmer, jointly with Pieter Teunisz, from Brunswijck. In April 1648, he was repeatedly ordered to settle his accounts and Nov. 18, 1649, his farm was leased to
Evert Pels and Willem Fredericksz (Bout). With Christoffel Davids, he also occupied, till stubble time 1649, six morgens of land in Greenbush, which in 1650 were leased to Teunis Dircksz van Vechten.
Nov. 2, 1651 Crijn Cornelisz and Hans Jansz, from Rotterdam, received permission to erect a sawmill on a creek on the west side of the river, a little north of Beeren Island.
From Edam, (in the province of North Holland). He and Reynier Thijmensz, from Edam, entered into a contract with Kiliaen van Rensselaer on Aug. 26, 1636, to sail by the ship Rensselaerswyck and to
settle in the colony as free colonists, for a period of four years. He is charged in the accounts with supplies from May 9, 1637, to 1642. Under date of May 29, 1643, he is referred to as deceased.
He was a member of the council of the colony in 1637.
Also referred to as Gijsbert Claesz Jongen (the boy); was a carpenter by trade and like Jacob Jansz, from Amsterdam, is credited in the accounts with four years' wages from April 2, 1637 at
f40 a year. Both men appear to have been employed by Albert Andriesz and probably came over with him on the Rensselaerswyck. His account closed Sept. 5, 1641.
From Westerbroeck (Westbroek, province of Utrecht?); was engaged for six years, three years at f50 a year and three years at f80 a year. His wages in the colony began April 8, 1637; he probably came
by the Rensselaerswyck. In 1646, he is charged with f19:9 received in Holland on Nov. 3, 1645. In Oct. 1648, on the repeated solicitation by the director to accept the place of gerechts
persoon (member of the court), he pleaded to be excused on the ground that he did not consider himself fit for the office, that he was not possessed of a house and lot and therefore not bound to
serve, and that he had not yet settled all his accounts with the patroon. His objections however were overruled and he was urged once more to accept the office, buy the court, in case of refusal,
threatening to proceed to other measures. He finally yielded, on condition that he be first allowed to make a trip to the Manhattans. This was granted and Nov. 19, 1648, he took the oath as member of
the court. At his urgent request he was released from his office on Jan. 5, 1651. In the accounts he is charged from 1648 to 1652 with f32 a year for ground rent of a house and license to trade and,
jointly with Rutger Jacobsz, from May 1649 to May 1650 with f450 for the lease of the brewery. July 18, 1650, he was granted permission to become a tapster and Sept. 9, 1650, he was with Arent van
Curler appointed trustee of a fund for the building of a school. From May 1, 1655, to May 1, 1658, he and Thomas Jansz are charged with an annual rent of f40, for a small piece of land situated
opposite den sack. July 19, (1659?) he entered into an agreement with Jeremias van Rensselaer regarding the purchase of hides of cattle to be killed in the colony, showing that by that time he
was engaged in the tanning business. After 1660, he is occasionally referred to as Goossen Gerritsz van Schaick.
Hans van Sevenhuysen
Sailed by the Rensselaerswyck as smith's helper to Cornelis Thomasz, but was arrested in England for killing his master in a tavern at Ilfracombe, Dec. 8, 1636.
From Amsterdam; was a carpenter by trade and was engaged for the term of four years, beginning April 2, 1637, at wages of f40 a year. He appears for part of this period to have been employed by
Albert Andriesz; in the harvest of 1640, he served under Cornelis Teunisz, from Breuckelen. May 1, 1640, he received f32 extra pay for "faithful service to the patroon." In 1641, he was employed by
van Curler to do some copying and from that date till Aug 20, 1643, when his account was closed by van Curler, he was engaged with other carpenters in building houses and barns.
From Utrecht; in one account referred to as Jacob Pietersz van Uijtrecht alias Veeltje, and in another as Jacob Pietersz Veeltje; was engaged for six years, from April 8, 1637, at f100
a year, and served under Brant Peelen. He left the colony on, or before, Nov. 16, 1644.
Also referred to as Johan Lebatie Fransman (Frenchman); was engaged as a journeyman carpenter for the term of four years, beginning April 2, 1637, at f80 a year, and for part of the time was
employed by Albert Andriesz. At the end of the four years, he engaged himself to the patroon for three years more, at f200 a year. Thereafter, van Curler intended to put him on the farm at the Great
Flats to trade, but he probably left the patroon's service. In 1648, he is charged in the accounts with the patroon's Gerechticheyt (dues) for four years, beginning May 1, 1643, compounded at
the rate of f25 a year, which may indicate that he was engaged in the Indian trade, as in 1650 he is spoken of as being well versed in the Maquaes language. June 15, 1647, he received permission from
the West India company to erect a house in Fort Orange and to brew therein; in 1649, he is referred to by van Slichtenhorst as being in command of the fort, which may have reference to a temporary
absence of Carel van Brugge, who was appointed commis Nov. 6, 1647, and is supposed to have acted in that capacity till 1651. Sept. 23, 1650, Jean Labatie, inhabitant of Fort Orange, was summoned to
the house of Director van Slichtenhorst and asked to accompany van Curler, Cornelis Teunisz, from Breuckelen, Thomas Chambers and Volckert Hansz on an embassy to the Maquaes to renew the covenant of
friendship, but he refused to go, saying that it made little difference to those in the fort whether they were at war or at peace with the Indians. Aug. 26, 1652, Labatie and Cornelis Teunisz, from
Breuckelen, jointly leased the farm formerly occupied by Cornelis Teunisz, but in the accounts Labatie is not charged with rent for this farm and it is likely that he never occupied it. July 20,
1654, Labatie took over the farm on Castle Island formerly leased to Jan Barentsz Wemp, for which from stubble time 1654 to May 1, 1655, he is charged with f150 and thereafter with an annual rent of
f300. Feb. 20, 1672, Labatie settled his accounts with Jeremias van Rensselaer.
Maurits Janz van Broeckhuysen
Was a young relative of Kiliaen van Rensselaer and came out as farm hand by the Rensselaerswyck. May 12, 1639, he was authorized to establish himself as farmer on de Laets Burg, on the farm formerly
occupied by Gerrit Theusz de Reux.In the accounts he is credited with four years salary, at f110 a year, beginning April 3, 1637. One half year's wages are charged to Cornelis Teunisz, from
Breuckelen. His account closes Sept. 7, 1641. Feb. 12, 1642, he is referred to by Kiliaen van Rensselaer as having lately returned from New Netherland.
From Nordigen, or Norden, (in East Friesland); is credited with six years wages from April 3, 1637, and in Aug. 1644 is mentioned as servant of Symon Walichsz. He probably arrived with the latter on
the Rensselaerswyck. He is charged with rent, at f11 a year, from 1643 to 1645, and in 1648-49 appears to have occupied a farm at Bethlehem. He left the colony before June 5, 1649. He was the
son-in-law of Cornelis Hendricksz van Nes.
From Munnickendam, (in the province of North Holland); occasionally referred to as Pieter Cornelisz Meulenmaaecker (mill wright); sailed by the Rensselaerswyck, Sept 25, 1636, after having
entered in company with Claes Jansz, from Naerden, and Albert Andriesz, from Frederikstad, into an agreement with the patroon for the erection of a sawmill in the colony. In this agreement, dated
Aug. 26, 1636, his age is given as 43 years. His account in the colony begins May 4, 1637, and closes May 3, 1649, but from the log of the Rensselaerswyck he is known to have sailed up the river as
early as March 24, 1637, and from other documents it would seem that he left the colony in 1646. Oct. 3, 1636, he was appointed councillor and schepen, and May 12, 1639, he received a commission as
receiver of tithes and supercargo of the colony's vessel. Jan. 31, 1646, Pieter Cornelisz made a contract with Anthony de Hooges for building a horsepower mill in Greenbush, the mill on the fifth
creek being most of the time out of order and too inconvenient for the inhabitants on account het heen en wedervaeren (the sailing back and forth).
From Edam, (province of North Holland). He and Dirck Jansz, from Edam, entered into a contract with Kiliaen van Rensselaer, Aug 26, 1636, to sail by the Rensselaerswyck and to settle in the colony as
free colonists for the period of four years. His account in the colony begins May 7, 1637, and closes Sept. 12, 1643. In an extract from his contract his name is given as Reijnier
His account in the colony runs from April 17, 1637, to 1638. He is credited with wages earned in repairing a fence, splitting wood, thatching and grinding, and would seem to have been in the employ
of Gerrit de Reux. He came probably by the Rensselaerswyck.
From Houten, (Near Utrecht); brother of Crijn Cornelisz, from Houten; is charged with supplies furnished to him in 1638 and may have arrived with Crijn Cornelisz in 1637. He was at various times
employed in splitting wood and in thatching roofs of houses and in 1646 is charged with hire of horses and cows and rent of land.
From Schoonderwoert (Schoonrewoerd, province of South Holland); served as farm hand on the farm of Cornelis Teunisz, from Breuckelen, for the term of six years, beginning April 8 1637, at f100 a
year, and probably came on the Rensselaerswyck. Feb. 9, 1643, he was engaged as foreman on de groote Vlacte (the great Flats) at f220 a year; a suit of clothes, two shirts and two pairs of
shoes, his term of service to begin April 7, 1643. From Jan. 1, 1645, he appears as lessee of a farm on the fifth creek, which in 1647 seems to have been taken over by Adriaen Huybertz. From 1648 to
1654 he is charged with an annual rent of f125 for a sawmill on the fifth creek, taken over from Andries de Vos, and for the same period he is charged, jointly with Barent Pietersz, with an annual
rent of f550 for a saw- and grist-mill, also on the fifth creek. He owned a yacht from about 1648, and April 4, 1649, agreed to pay f32 a year, for three years, for rent of his house lot and the
right to the fur trade. Oct 18, 1650, he and Goosen Gerritsz were authorized to brew beer, on condition of paying duty of one guilder for every barrel of beer, and of brewing free of charge the beer
needed for the households of van Slichtenhorst and de Hooges. Rutger Jacobsz is credited with f36 for nine months salary as raets vriendt (councillor) and again with the salary as councillor,
at the rate of f50 a year, from Dec 18, 1649, to Oct. 18, 1651, when at his urgent request he was released from his duties and succeeded by Jan Baptist van Rensselaer. Rutger Jacobsz married June 3,
1646, at New Amsterdam, Trijntje Jans, from Breestede (Bredstedt, in Schleswig), and died before Dec. 9, 1665.
From Wijngaerden, (in the district of het Bildt, in the province of Friesland); entered into a contract with the patroon Aug. 15, 1636, and sailed by the Rensselaerswyck. His account in the colony
begins April 17, 1637. He occupied a farm on Papscanee Island till May 1, 1647, when it was leased to Evert Pels, for six years, at f560 a year. January 14, 1649, Evert Pels had the lease transferred
to Juriaen Bestval and Jochem Kettelheym. Symon Walichsz agreed to buy Pieter van der Linden's plantation on Manhattan Island, Oct 7, 1648, and was killed by the Indians near Paulus Hook, at Pavonia,
in March 1649. (See N.Y.Col.Mss, 4:428, where his name is given as Sijmon Walingen van vilt).
Teunis Cornelisz van Vechten
His first account in the colony, entered under the name of theunis Cornelissen van der vechten Jongen, runs from April 8 to Nov. 14, 1637. He appears next in 1641 as having been three years in
the service of Michiel Jansz. It is not unlikely therefore that he arrived as a boy, on the Rensselaerswyck, early in 1637, went back to Holland in the winter of that year, and returned to the colony
in 1638, with Michiel Jansz and Teunis Dircksz van Vechten, both of whom came by het Wapen van Noorwegen. He probably came from Vechten, a small village southeast of Utrecht. In the Schult Boeck
vande goederen vant'schip den Waterhondt, 1640-41, his name is indexed as Teunis Cornelissen van Westbroeck, but this is probably a clerical error, due to confusion with Cornelis Teunisz van
Westbroeck. Between 1647 and 1656, he is referred to as Thunis Cornelissen alias jonge Poetien, Toenis Cornelisz poyntgen and tunis Cornelisen Jonge poentie. Teunis Cornelisz served
under Michiel Jansz till May 1, 1646, and then succeeded him on the farm called de Hoogeberch, which he occupied till May 1, 1648. Oct. 15, 1648 Director van Slichtenhorst leased to him for six years
the south end of het greenenbos (pine woods) with six morgens of old land forming part of the farm of Teunis Dircksz van Vechten, but, owing apparently to animosity on the part of Teunis
Dircksz, he was allowed to leave the farm Jan. 27, 1650, and was promised a house in some other part of the colony. Jan 29, 1650, he complained that the house which he occupied was uninhabitable on
account of smoke and Mar. 17, 1650, Director van Slichtenhorst sold to him for f125 a small house south of the fifth creek, formerly occupied by Barent Pietersz and Jan Gerritsz, deceased.
Shoemaker; charged with supplies from June 5, 1637, to 1643, when he was indebted to the amount of f341:14. January 18, 1652, he was ordered to pay his account within a month.
From Bunnick, (near Utrecht); was engaged as farm hand for the term of six years, beginning april 8, 1637, at f110 a year, and served under Brandt Peelen and Symon Walichsz. He probably came by the
Rensselaerswyck. From May 1, 1646, to 1650 he occupied a farm, for which he is charged with an annual rent first of f180 and then of f130; April 11, 1650, van Slichtenhorst leased to him an
additional piece of land formerly occupied by Hendrick Albertsz, and from that time till 1652 he is charged with rent of f180 a year. From May 1, 1655, to May 1, 1658, he and Goossen Gerritsz are
charged with rent and tithes for a small parcel of land on the east side of the river opposite den sack. In 1656, the accounts contain the name of Thomas jansen Timmerman. This man is
probably to be identified with Thomas Jansz Mingael, the carpenter, who appears to have been a resident of Beverwyck, and not a settler of Rensselaerswyck.
Source: #76, 77