New Netherland and Beyond
Immigrants to New Netherland
In the Waterhoudt
Sailed from the Texel in June 1640
Arrived at New Amsterdam October, 1640
Hendrick Van Dyck,1 military commander
Persons to the Colony of Rensselaerswyck:
Adriaen Teunisz van der Bilt
Was engaged for six years, beginning Sept. 24, 1640, three years at f90 a year and three years at f100 a year. He probably came by den Waterhondt, as farm laborer for Symon Walichsz. It is uncertain
whether the words van der Bilt, represent a family name, or have reference to the village of de Bilt, near Utrecht, as Adriaen Teunisz' place of origin. If used as a family name, it is
probable that Adrian Teunisz van der Bilt was the same person as Arijen Teunisz van Luijten (from Luyten-Ambacht, in North Brabant), who is charged with supplies in 1642.
From Schoennerwoorde (Schoonrewoerd, in the province of South Holland); was engaged as farm laborer May 26, 1640, for six years, three years at f100 a year and three years at f110 a year. His wages
in the colony began Sept. 24, 1640. He was at different times employed by Brant Peelen, Michiel Jansz, Cornelis Teunisz, from Breuckelen, and on the farm called de Vlackte. In 1648, he was prosecuted
by Director van Slichtenhorst for selling ammunition and bartering skins, contrary to his contract. Claes Gerritsz claimed that van Curler gave him permission to trade and the case dragged along till
Nov. 10, 1651, when it was settled by arbitration.
From Schoenderwoerdt (Schoonrewoerd, in the province of South Holland); served as farm laborer for six years, beginning Sept. 4, 1640, at wages ranging from f80 to f100 a year. He is probably the
same person as Cornelis Vos, and Cornelis Cornelisz alias Vosje, who appears in the account books from 1642 to 1657. Jan. 29, 1649, Cornelis gent vossgen (Cornelis, called
vossgen) leases a farm adjoining Rem Jansz, the smith, on the north.
From Houten, (Near Utrecht). His accounts in the colony run from April 20, 1637, to Aug. 21, 1639 and from January 1, 1641, to 1648. May 30, 1640, he is referred to by the patroon as about to sail
from Holland. Presumably, therefore, he came out on the Rensselaerswyck in 1637, went back to Holland in 1639 and returned to the colony by den Waterhondt in 1640, accompanied by Cornelis Crijnen,
Jan Crijnen, Jan Cornelisz and Jan Reyersz, all from Houten. He served at first under Gerrit Theusz de Reux and from January 1, 1641, to January 1, 1642, as farm hand on a farm in Greenbush, which he
thereafter seems to have occupied as farmer, jointly with Pieter Teunisz, from Brunswijck. In April 1648, he was repeatedly ordered to settle his accounts and Nov. 18, 1649, his farm was leased to
Evert Pels and Willem Fredericksz (Bout). With Christoffel Davids, he also occupied, till stubble time 1649, six morgens of land in Greenbush, which in 1650 were leased to Teunis Dircksz van Vechten.
Nov. 2, 1651 Crijn Cornelisz and Hans Jansz, from Rotterdam, received permission to erect a sawmill on a creek on the west side of the river, a little north of Beeren Island.
From Houten, (near Utrecht); is charged with board on den Waterhondt and credited with wages for mason's work on cellar of Domine Megapolensis and for spading of gardens. He was probably a son of
Crijn Cornelisz, from Houten, whose surety he became July 7, 1646. Oct. 13, 1648, he was forbidden to leave the colony without furnishing two sureties for the payment of certain amounts owed by him,
and April 29, 1649, he is referred to as having left the colony.
Son of Teunis Dircksz van Vechten; came by den Waterhondt.
Daughter of Brant Peelen van Nykerck.
Gijsje Barents (Berents)
Wife of Pieter Jacobsz; is charged with board on den Waterhondt in 1640, and credited with 28 days' work done by her husband on the house of Arent van Curler. It is not unlikely that her husband was
the same person as Pieter Jacobsz, constapel of Fort Orange, who on April 15, 1652, by order of Johannes Dyckman tore van Slichtenhorst's proclamation from the house of Gijsbert Cornelisz, the tavern
From Houten, (near Utrecht); was engaged as farm hand for six years; three years at f100 a year and three years at f110 a year, his wages beginning Sept. 4, 1640. For the first year and eight months
he was in the service of Symon Walichsz; the rest of his term he was in the service of Crijn Cornelisz, from Houten. He was probably a brother of Crijn Cornelisz and would seem to have come with him
on den Waterhondt, in company with Cornelis Crijnen and Jan Crijnen.
From Houten, (near Utrecht); before Sept. 6, 1642, he was for a year and six months in the service of Symon Walichsz; after that date he appears to have been in the service of Crijn Cornelisz, from
Houten. He was probably the latter's son and may have arrived with Cornelis Crijnen by den Waterhondt.
From Houten, (near Utrecht); was engaged for six years, beginning Sept. 4, 1640, at wages of f105 a year for the first three years and of f112 a year for the last three years. He served for 1 3/4
years under Cornelis Maesen and for the rest of his term under Crijn Cornelisz, from Houten. March 17, 1650, he took over from Rijck Rutgersz the lease of Bethlehem's Island, which was renewed on
Feb. 15, 1653, for eight years, at a yearly rent of f230 and f45 for tithes.
Daughter of Brant Peelen van Nykerck.
Was engaged for six years, as farm hand, at wages ranging from f20 to f40 a year. His term of service began Sept. 4, 1640, and his board is charged to Crijn Cornelisz, from Houten; he doubtless came
with the latter on den Waterhondt.
From Schoonderwoert (Schoonrewoerd, in the province of South Holland); in one instance referred to as Tuenis Rut Jacobsz broeder (Tuenis, the brother of Rutger Jacobsz); was engaged as farm
hand for the term of six years, beginning Sept. 4, 1640; three years at f90 a year and three years at f100 a year. He served apparently first under Symon Walichsz and then under Cornelis Teunisz,
from Breuckelen. He probably came by den Waterhondt. From 1650 to 1652 he is charged with f16 a year for a house lot. He married April 19, 1650, at New Amsterdam, Sara Denijs, from
1 Van Rensselaer Bowier Manuscripts, (c)1908, p472.