Compiled and Contributed:
Descendants of Justice B. Johnson
Generation No. 1
1. JUSTICE B.1 JOHNSON was born February 28, 1802 in Schoharie County, New York1, and died January 11, 1883 in Marathon, New York2. Note: Justice was also spelled Justus on some of the records, but both are treated here as Justice.
(1) MALINDA A. __________.
(2) PRISCILLA SMITH Bef. 1855 in Marathon, New York.
Notes for JUSTICE B. JOHNSON: Cortland County Probate File x 7354s. Will dated 17 November 1882, was made when Justice was 80 years old. Heirs listed as Alfred Johnson of Marathon, New York; Charles Johnson of Triangle, Broome County, New York; Hannah Glover of Cincinnatus; Harry C. Johnson, LaCygne, Linn County, Kansas; Rufus Johnson, Drywood, Chippewa County, Wisconsin. Left $200 for a cemetery lot and monument and removal of family members to that lot. $50 each to sons Charles and Rufus or their heirs after 5 years; real estate to son Alfred with whom Justice was living, Alfred to be executor. Witnessed by George A. Hubert (An Attorney), George H. Chaplin, Eugene Johnson, all of Marathon.
Children of JUSTICE JOHNSON and MALINDA _________ are:
i. CHARLES2 JOHNSON.
2. ii. HANNAH L. JOHNSON, b. 1832, Broome County, New York.
iii. SETH A. JOHNSON, b. January 02, 1834, Marathon, New York3; d. March 18, 1854, Marathon, New York.
iv. HARRY C. JOHNSON, b. 18354.
v. LUCINDA JOHNSON, b. 18385. 3.
vi. ALFRED JOHNSON, b. 1839, Cortland County, New York; d. May 19, 1921, Marathon, New York.
vii. RUFUS JOHNSON, b. 1843, Cortland County, New York6.
Generation No. 2
2. HANNAH L.2 JOHNSON (JUSTICE B.1) was born 1832 in Broome County, New York7. She married JOHN HENRY GLOVER April 17, 1853 in Marathon, New York8, son of JOHN GLOVER and ELIZABETH _________.
Notes for JOHN HENRY GLOVER: As reported in the Cortland Standard: John H. Glover died after a sudden illness, at his funeral service at the Marathon Methodist Episcopal church, the Rev A. D. Barnes of Binghamton said: " He was the bravest of soldiers and the best of comrades." (Rev. Barnes was the Regimental Chaplin for the 5th NYS Heavy Artillery]. J. H. Glover enlisted at Syracuse on January 25, 1864 and was paid a $300 enlistment bonus.
Children of HANNAH JOHNSON and JOHN GLOVER are:
i. GASPAR3 GLOVER, b. 1854, Texas Valley, Cortland Cty, NY9; d. November 03, 1874, Texas Valley, Cortland Cty, NY. 4.
ii. GEORGE S. GLOVER, b. 1856, Cincinnatus, Cortland Cty, New York; d. 1927, Upper Lisle, Broome Cty, New York.
iii. EDWIN C. GLOVER, b. 186010; m. MARY ANN LNU.
iv. JOHN F. GLOVER, b. 186111; d. October 02, 1934. 5.
v. ADELBERT E. GLOVER, b. July 24, 1863, Cincinnatus, New York; d. May 02, 1938, City of Cortland, New York.
vi. HATTIE M. GLOVER, b. 186712; m. LEROY BUSH.
vii. ADDIE GLOVER, b. 186813.
viii. LELAND GLOVER, b. 187114.
3. ALFRED2 JOHNSON (JUSTICE B.1) was born 1839 in Cortland County, New York15 to Justice and Priscilla Johnson. He died May 19, 1921 in Marathon, Cortland Cty, New York16. He married HARRIETTE ESTELLE YARINGTON, daughter of Louis R. YARINGTON and LURA BOSWORTH.
Children of ALFRED JOHNSON and HARRIETTE YARINGTON are:
6. i. HARRIETTE LOUISE3 JOHNSON, b. Abt. January 08, 1866, Texas Valley, New York; d. October 19, 1892, City of Cortland, New York.
7. ii. GEORGE JOHNSON, b. 1 June 1873, Marathon, Cortland County, New York35; d. 24 Dec 1950.
6. HARRIETTE LOUISE3 JOHNSON (ALFRED2, JUSTICE B.1) was born Abt. January 08, 1866 in Texas Valley, New York23, and died October 19, 1892 in City of Cortland, New York24. She married ADELBERT E. GLOVER March 16, 1883 in Texas Valley, Marathon, Cortland Cty, NY25, son of JOHN GLOVER and HANNAH JOHNSON.
Notes for HARRIETTE LOUISE JOHNSON: Cortland County Historical Society Newspaper Death Files: "Harriette Louise Johnson Glover (Mrs. Adelbert Glover], died in City of Cortland, citing Cortland Democrat 21 Oct 1892. The Democrat of that date has in deaths column: Glover--At her home on South Main Street [Cortland], of peritonitis, at 1 a. m., October 19, 1892, Mrs. Adlebert Glover. Remains taken to Marathon for Burial."
Child of HARRIETTE JOHNSON and ADELBERT GLOVER is:
8. i. HELEN LOUISE4 GLOVER, b. August 28, 1883, Upper Lisle(?), New York; d. August 25, 1974, Amsterdam, New York.
7. GEORGE3 JOHNSON (ALFRED2, JUSTICE B.1) was born June 1, 1873 in Marathon, Cortland County, New York26, and died Dec 24, 1850. He married IDA MAE BUSH. His obituary from The Cortland Standard, 26 Dec 1950 read: "G.L. Johnson, 77, Found Dead At Marathon Home -- Marathon -- George L. Johnson, 77, was found dead Sunday, December 24, at his home on Front Street. Dr. George Nevin, county coroner, said the death was due to natural causes. Mr. Johnson, who lived alone, had been ill with a heart condition for some time. He is survived by a son, Louis Johnson of Worcester, Mass., and three grandchildren. Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday at the Baker Funeral home in Marathon. Interment will be in Marathon Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home from 7 to 9 o'clock this evening."
Generation No. 4
8. HELEN LOUISE4 GLOVER (ADELBERT E.3, HANNAH L.2 JOHNSON, JUSTICE B.1) was born August 28, 1883 in Upper Lisle(?), New York27, and died August 25, 1974 in Amsterdam, New York28. She married (1) DELMONT PARSONS. (2) ORVILLE PRATT KNICKERBOCKER June 21, 1910 in Marathon, New York29, son of IRA KNICKERBOCKER and ISAPHINE TOMPKINS.
Children of HELEN GLOVER and ORVILLE KNICKERBOCKER are:
i. HARRIETTE ESTELLE5 KNICKERBOCKER, b. December 06, 1913, Schenectady, New York30; d. April 19, 1963, Lowell, Massachusetts31; m. GEORGE FRANCIS WALKER , SR, August 28, 1943, Palisades Park, New Jersey32.
ii. IRA ELMER KNICKERBOCKER, b. June 27, 1915, Schenectady, New York; d. February 06, 1996, Amsterdam, New York; m. MARTHA ZUEND, Bef. January 1944, Detroit, Michigan.
iii. ORVILLE ADELBERT KNICKERBOCKER, b. 1920, Amsterdam, New York33; d. 1921, Amsterdam, New York34.
1. Marathon Village Cemetery
2. Marathon Village Cemetery
3. Marathon Village Cemetery
4. 1850 US Census, Cortland County, Marathon, Page 239
5. 1855 NYS Census
6. 1855 NYS Census
7. 1865 NYS Census; 1850 US Census, Marathon, NY Page 239
8. National Archives: Civil War Veterans Pension File
9. Cortland County Historical Assocation Records; 1870 US Census
10. 1875 NYS Census
11. 1875 NYS Census
12. 1875 NYS Census
13. 1875 NYS Census
14. 1875 NYS Census
15. 1855 NYS Census, Marathon Cemetery
16. Marathon Village Cemetery
17. CCHS Records; 1870 Census
18. Upper Lisle Village Cemetery Headstone
19. 1855 NYS Census; Death Certificate No. 112, City of Cortland, New York, 02 May 1938.
20. Marathon Village Cemetery Records; Death Certificate, City of Cortland, NY; Register No. 112, 02 MAY 1938
21. Cortland County Historical Assocation Records
22. Cortland County Historical Assocation Records
23. 1855 NYS Census; Marathon Village Cemetery Records; Death Certificate No 1134, City of Cortland, New York 19 October 1892
24. Marathon Village Cemetery Records; Death Certificate, City of Cortland, NY; Register No. 1134
25. Cortland County Historical Assocation Records
26. 1875 NYS Census
27. Death Certificate
28. Death Certificate
29. Cortland Standard: June 1879; Cortland County Historical Society Records
30. Birth Certificate
31. Death Certificate
32. Marriage Certificate
33. Marathon Village Cemetery
34. Marathon Village Cemetery
35. Memorial Booklet from George Johnson funeral