Davis Article
from Cutters

Davis

Conrad Davis was born in Washington, New Jersey, a descendant of one of the early settlers of New Jersey. According to tradition three brothers came from Wales and settled in the vicinity of what is now Washington. Conrad Davis was a prominent and well-to-do citizen. he conducted a general store, distillery and hotel. During the revolution he furnished supplies for Washington’s troops as suttler at Valley Forge and at other times, and he was compensated by the government afterward by a grant of six thousand six hundred acres of land. He is supposed to have built the first bridge over the Delaware river and the first road into Valley Forge, over which he carried supplies to Washington’s army, and through him the army was saved from starvation. he married _______ Weller. They had a son Conrad, mentioned below.

(II) Conrad (2), son of Conrad (1) Davis, was also born in Washington, New Jersey, and he lived and died in that town. He succeeded to his father’s business and estate, and was a man of considerable wealth and standing in the community. He married _______ Weller. Children: John P.; Jacob W.; Job J., mentioned below; Edward; Rachel; Mary; and Lena.

(III) Job J., son of Conrad (2) Davis, was born in Washington, New Jersey, in 1826, died in 1895. He received a common school education, learned the trade of carpenter, and engaged in business as a contractor and builder. He married Susanna P. Watts, of Paterson, New Jersey. Her father was a native of England. Children: 1. Jacob W., treasurer of the J.E. Davis Manufacturing Company; married Katherine Fox; children: Charles, Mary and Blanche. 2. Rosa, lives at Washington, New Jersey. 3. Louise, married John Christian, of New Brunswick. 4. Sarah, married David Dibinger, a native of Germany. 5. John E., mentioned below. 6. George B., for a time vice-president of the J.E. Davis Manufacturing Company.

(IV) John Edward, son of Job J. Davis, was born in Washington, New Jersey, May 1, 1863, and was educated in the public schools of his native town. When he left school he began to work in the organ factory of D.F. Beatty, at Washington, New Jersey, and continued there for three years. He was afterward employed by various piano manufacturers in New York City; Norwich, New York; and Hazelton, Pennsylvania. He returned to Washington, and, in 1893, engaged in the coal business in partnership with R.L. Cline, under the firm name of R.L. Cline & Company. He was also in partnership with his brother in the poultry business, under the firm name of Davis Brothers. In 1898 he began to manufacture piano backs in Washington, under the corporate name of Washington Manufacturing Company, and continued successfully until 1903, when he came to Cortland, New York, and bought the factory of the Whitney Carriage Company, in which he began to manufacture cases and piano backs. The business was incorporated as the J.E. Davis Manufacturing Company. The plant is located on East Court and Pendleton streets, with offices at 57 East Court street. Piano cases, backs, trusses, pilasters, bridges and other parts are manufactured for piano manufacturers. The business of the concern has grown enormously and its customers are found in all parts of the country. The plant is one of the largest of its kind, having floor space of one hundred and ten thousand feet, and it is equipped with one of the most modern and efficient wood-working plants to be found anywhere. The company employs about three hundred hands regularly. The officers of the company are: President, John Edward Davis; secretary, B.M. Ashby; treasurer, J.W. Davis. The facilities of the company for economical and superior work have been planned largely by the president. The unseasoned lumber comes to the factory in train loads, and is unloaded from a private siding at the factory and stored in the immense kilns, which have a capacity of six hundred thousand feet of lumber, furnished with some twelve miles of steam pipes. Sixty carloads of lumber can be dried at one time. In the busy season the company saws more than twenty-five thousand feet of lumber and produces more than two hundred piano backs and one hundred piano cases daily. In politics Mr. Davis is an independent, in religion a Presbyterian. he is a member of Knights of Pythias, and Piano Club of New York.

He married in 1891, Althea D. Hulsizer, of Asbury, New Jersey, daughter of Thomas Hulsizer. They have one daughter, Althea C., born November 17, 1898, at Washington, New Jersey.




          Entry done by Marilyn Lane on August 2, 1998

If you have any suggestions, please e-mail Tim Stowell

Created 29 August 1998

LAST UPDATED: Saturday, 21-May-2011 13:58:54 MDT

Thanks for Stopping By!