Descendants of Paul Kinyon
Generation No. 1
PAUL KINYON was born Abt. August 1766 in RI, and died October 17, 1850 in Scott, Cortland, NY. He married PHALLA CLARKE February 16, 1791 in Leyden, Franklin, MA.
Notes for Paul:
BIRTH of Phalla - Age at death given as 77-5-1 in Arnold collection in Knight Memorial Library = Scott, NY Gravestone Records. Looks to be from the Boston Transcript of Feb 15, 1937. Attached to Bernard Kenyon (Voluntown, CT) letter Oct 18, 1983 to Ralph J. Kenyon and confirmed by observation of gravestone in Scott.
MARRIAGE." A Purpose of marriage between Paul Kinyon and Phalla Clarke both of Leyden was Entered in the Office October 29th 1790". "Paul Kinyon and Phalla Clarke both of Leyden Joined in Marriage February l6th 1791". Leyden, MA town records.
Ophelia [Phalla] Clarke m. Paul Kenyan 1791, MA. Main IGI 3.06. Source was marriage records.
BURIAL: Gravestone gives age at death as 84 years. Gravestone broken; patch job bad. Data transferred to new black granite stone. Top of old sandstone marker mounted in the new concrete base in 1989. Residual of old marker retrieved by Ralph J. Kenyon, New black granite marker placed in honor of l00th anniversary of birth of Earl Kenyon, by all four sons of Earl during a 1989 excursion to Scott for that purpose. This was last gathering of the childen of Earl Kenyon.
RECORDS: Records 1776-1834: Page 197; elected surveyor of highways and townways for ensuing year. Page 199; took oath of office.
Book C 1829-1848 page 40, 4 April 1831; Paul Kenyon, Cyrus Miner (and ten others) elected Surveyors of Highways and Townways.
Page 269; "Paul Kinyon ear mark for cattle is a (looks like) swallow tail in each ear. May 2Oth 1803". Leyden Town Records Book C
Town meetings 1829-1848 etc.; page 26 - Paul Kinyon and ten others elected hog reeves. (Never determined what a hog reeve was. Expect it was a person responsible for assigning ownership of piglets from those sows that ran free in the unfenced common areas.)
From Leyden town records "18th Chose the following persons as school committee for the year following viz: Capt Uriah Wilbur, (four others), Paul Kinyon". Date, volume and page not noted.
CENSUS: Found on Schedule 1, Town of Scott, County of Cortland, State of Cortland (sic, should be NY). Enumerated 23 July 1850. Age (looks like) 85, but the gravestone indicates age to be 84 in October 1850. Place of birth given as R.I..
Third census, 1830, Leyden, Franklin County, MA. Males 1 age 60-70 (Paul?), 1 age 30-40 (Enos?), females 60-70 (Phalla?), 1 age 20-30 ( Desire?), 1 age 15-20 (Louisa?).
LAND TRANSACTIONS: Book 7, page 669, 31 December 1794, Hampshire County. Two hundred seventy pounds for seventy acres.
Book 19, page 610, 8 January 1805, Hampshire County, two hundred fifty seven dollars for one lot of one acre. Book 25, page 406, 12
December 1807, Hampshire County, three hundred dollars for sixteen acres and one hundred fifty two perches. All areas are "more or less". No transaction identified Paul to be from or of some place other than Leyden.
Children of PAUL KINYON and PHALLA CLARKE are:
2. i. CHARLES W2 KINYON, b. November 14, 1791, Leyden, Franklin, MA; d. December 20, 1863, Scott, Cortland, NY
ii. POLLY KINYON, b. May 9, 1794, Leyden, Franklin, MA; m. THOMAS BARBER, February 4, 1816, Leyden, Franklin, MA.
iii. ROBERT KINYON, b. October 1, 1796, Leyden, Franklin, MA; d. April 10, 1828, Leyden, Franklin, MA.
3. iv. ENOS KINYON, b. April 11,1799, Leyden, Franklin, MA; d. Aft. 1880.
v. LUCRETIA KINYON, b. February 22, 1801, Leyden, Franklin, MA; m. October 4, 1831, Leyden, Franklin, MA.
4. vi. DESIRE KINYON, b. March 8, 1809, Leyden, Franklin, MA; d. July 5, 1872.
5. vii. LOUISA M. KINYON, b. April 27, 1813, Leyden. Franklin, MA; d. November 6, 1877.
2. CHARLES W2 KINYON (PAUL1) was born November 14, 1791 in Leyden, Franklin, MA, and died December 20, 1863 in Scott, Cortland, NY. He married AMY DENISON April 23, 1826 in Leyden, Franklin, MA, daughter of GEORGE DENISON and LUCY BABCOCK.
Children of CHARLES KINYON and AMY DENISON are:
6. i. CHARLES WARREN3 KINYON. b. December 1827. MA; d. 1900 Scott, Cortland, NY
ii. ELLEN O. KINYON. b. June 22, 1835, MA; d. February 2, 1856 in Scott, Cortland Co. NY; m. WILLARD MORGAN.
3. ENOS2 KINYON KINYON (PAUL1) was born April 11, 1799 in Leyden, Franklin, MA, and died Aft. 1880. He married ELIZABETH MINER March 17, 1830 in Leyden, Franklin, MA, daughter of CYRUS MINER and FANNY CLARK.
Notes for Enos:
RESIDENCE; Settled on sec 35 Ovid Twp, Clinton Co., MI.
CENSUS: 18 Jun 1880 census for Marion Twp. Livingston County , age 80, widower, living with Cyrus.
CENSUS: 1850 for Marion Twp., Livingston County : Enos a. 60, b. MA, Elizabeth a. 51, b. VT, Cyrus a. 26, Elizabeth a. 25, William W. a. 17, Merrill H. a. 7. Cyrus and Elizabeth born in NY, Wm and Merrill b. MI.
CIVIC: Elected constable Ovid Twp 22 Apr 1840. Served as petit juror two terms in 1842 and 1845. Leyden, MA town records book C Town Meetings 1829-1848, Page 26; 5 April 1830 elected (with others) to hog reeve.
RECORD: Birth record in Vol. Oldest-Births, Page 242, Year 1799 in Leyden Town Records. "Enos Kinyon son of Paul and Fally (sic) , MIKinyon was born April 11th 1799". Family name spelled KINYON. Record of birth of Charles, Polly, Robert, Enos and Lucretia all on successive lines in the record book. Apparently was catchup day at the clerk's office - eight children of an Ovis family were the next entries.
The monument in Harger Cemetery, Marion Township, Livingston County indicates horn 1800 but no date of death. Elizabeth is on the same monument.
Genealogist Zdunic reports that there are no probate records for Enos or Elizabeth in Livingston County.
LAND TRANSACTIONS: Much trading in Livingston County 1869-1875 - too much to be meaningful per genealogist Margaret Zdunic of Durand.
ASSESSMENT ROLLS: Town of Scott 1827-1848 Transcribed from the original belonging to the Cortland County Historical Society: Kenyon, Enos 1827-1848.
Notes for Elizabeth:
RECORDS: See Miner Family, a genealogy, a copy of which was in the Pennsylvania Historical Society library, 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107, in early 1970s. Reports marriage to Enos Kenyon (sic) of Leyden, MA.
Birth date calculated from death date and age 63 years, 8 mos, 29 days yields 28 August 1809.
Town of Leyden Town Records 1807-1828 pg 313 "Elizabeth Miner daughter of Mr Cyrus and Mrs Fanny Miner born August 2, 1808".
CENSUS: Marion Twp, Livingston Co., MI in census of 1850 and 1860. A female a. 20 in the family of Cyrus Minor, 1830 in Leyden Franklin Co., MA.
DEATH Cemetery inscription gives death date as 21 August 1873 at 63 yrs 11 mo 23 days. Shares monument with Enos. Harger Cemetery, section 23, Marion Twp., Livingston County, Ml.
Children of ENOS KINYON and ELIZABETH MINER are:
7. i. AVERY C.3 KENYON, b. 1832, Leyden, Franklin, MA; d. May 6, 1864, Wilderness, Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania, VA.
8. ii. CYRUS SEYMOUR KENYON, b. December 31, 1833, Scott, Cortland, NY; d. March 25, 1897, Vernon Twp, Shiawassee, MI.
9. iii, FRANCES ELIZABETH KENYON, b. May 24, 1836. NY; d. September 2, 1900.
iv. SARAH KENYON, b. Abt. 1840; m. GEORGE C. BLACKMAN.
v. WILLIAM W KENYON. b. Abt. July 1843, Livingston, MI; d. February 17, 1921; m. LYDIA B. COLEMAN.
10. vi. MERRILL H. KENYON. b. July 17, 1848, Ovid, Clinton, MI; d. January 19, 1925.
4. DESIRE2 KINYON (PAUL1) was born March 8, 1809 in Leyden, Franklin, MA, and died July 5, 1872. She married LUCIUS POTTER MOWRY December 13, 1827 in Leyden, Franklin, MA.
Children of DESIRE KINYON and LUCIUS MOWRY are:
i. LUCIUS PHILETUS3 MOWRY. b. June 16.1829.
ii. ELLEN DESIAH MOWRY. b. May 17, 1838.
iii. CASSIUS MOWRY, b. June 21, 1849.
iv. LUCIUS MOWRY, b. June 2l, 1849.
5. LOUISA M.2 KINYON (PAUL1) was born April 27, 1813 in Leyden, Franklin, MA, and died November 6, 1877. She married JABEZ S. DENISON October 4, 1831 in Leyden, Franklin, MA, son of GEORGE DENISON and PHEBE BRIGGS.
Children of LOUISA KINYON and JABEZ DENISON are:
i. JARED3 DENISON.
ii. LOVILLA DENISON, m. GEORGE SIMPSON.
iii. CHARLOTTE DENISON.
6. CHARLES WARREN3 KINYON (CHARLES W2, PAUL1) was born December 1827 in ,MA, and died 1900 in Scott, NY. He married MELISSA JANE PRICE Abt. 1855, daughter of JOHN PRICE and MARY WILEY.
Children of CHARLES KINYON and MELISSA PRICE are:
11. i. CHARLES M4 KINYON, b. 1857.
ii. ELLA MARY KINYON, b. 1860, Cortland, NY; d. Abt. 1945; m. ALFRED R BURDICK.
7. AVERY C.3 KENYON (ENOS2 KINYON , PAUL1) was born 1832 in Leyden Franklin, MA, and died May 6, 1864 in Wilderness, Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania, VA. He married MARY HEAD June 21, 1855 in Ovid, Clinton, MI.
Children of AVERY KENYON and MARY HEAD are:
i. KINGSLEY E.4 KENYON, b. May 5, 1856.
ii. ALICE ADELAIDE KENYON, b. March 13, 1859; m. CHARLES E. STIMSON, May 1878, Howell, Livingston, MI.
12. iii. ELMER AVERY KENYON, b. November 20, 1863; d. February 24, 1948.
8. CYRUS SEYMOUR3 KENYON (ENOS2 KINYON , PAUL1) was born December 31, 1833 in Scott, Cortland, NY, and died March 25, 1897 in Vernon Twp, Shiawassee, MI. He married MARY J. WINEGAR November 26, 1863 in Marion Twp, Livingston, Ml, daughter of ASHBEL WINEGAR and SARAH SLOAN.
Children of CYRUS KENYON and MARY WINEGAR are:
13. i. ORLA J4 KENYON, b. February 20, 1865, Marion Twp, Livingston, MI; d. November 23, 1911 in MI.
14. ii. CHARLES F. KENYON, b. June 7, 1868, Marion Twp, Livingston, MI; d. February 16, 1925.
15. iii. ADELLA MAY KENYON, b. November 4, 1869, Livingston Co., MI; d. June 23, 1957.
16. iv. ELLA FRANCELLA KENYON, b. Abt. 1872, Marion Twp, Livingston, MI; d. March 1957, Pontiac, Oakland, MI.
v. MARTHA KENYON, b. September 10, 1874; d. April 4, 1901; m. LOREN SNOW.
vi. GRACE KENYON, b. Abt. 1877; d. Abt. 1877.
17. vii. GEORGE WASHINGTON KENYON, b. August 20, 1878, Livingston, MI; d. July 15, 1951, Ann Arbor, Washtenaw, MI.
9. FRANCES ELIZABETH3 KENYON (ENOS2 KINYON , PAUL1) was born May 24, 1836 in NY, and died September 2, 1900. She married CHARLES BOYD November 25, 1858 in Marion, Livingston, MI.
Children of FRANCES KENYON and CHARLES BOYD are:
i. LEWIS J.4 BOYD, b. September 18, 1859; d. June 26, 1925; in. MARY ELLEN SHEENAN, February 15, 1887.
ii. EMMA F. BOYD, b. January 5, 1861; d. February 20; in. ALBERT BAKER.
iii. STEWART A. BOYD, b. June 19, 1863; d. September 3, 1865.
iv. ROSA M. BOYD, b. July 26, 1871; d. September 21, 1899.
18. v. CHARLES W. BOYD, b. November 21, 1876.
10. MERRILL H.3 KENYON (ENOS2 KINYON , PAUL1) was born July 17, 1848 in Ovid, Clinton, MI, and died January 19, 1925. He married CORDELIA A. LAKE April 17, 1871 in Howell, Livingston, Ml.
Children of MERRILL KENYON and CORDELIA LAKE are:
i. BABY GIRL4 KENYON, b. December 20, 1871; d. December 27, 1871, Handy Twp, Livingston, MI.
ii. EVELYN LIDA KENYON, b. Abt. 1873, MI; m. WILLIAM WEIDENHAMMER.
iii. EARNEST L. KENYON, b. November 1880, MI.
11. CHARLES M.4 KINYON (CHARLES WARREN3, CHARLES W.2, PAUL1) was born 1857. He married ALICE GEAU.
Child of CHARLES KINYON and ALICE GEAU is:
i. LOUISE5 KINYON, b. Abt. 1890.
12. ELMER AVERY4 KENYON (AVERY C.3, ENOS2 KINYON, PAUL1) was born November 20, 1863, and died February 24, 1948. He married MARGARET ANN.
Children of ELMER KENYON and MARGARET ANN are:
i.. KENNETH K.5 KENYON.
ii. ELMER AVERY KENYON.
iii. ELIZABETH M. KENYON.
13. ORLA J.4 KENYON (CYRUS SEYMOUR3, ENOS2 KINYON , PAUL1) was born February 20, 1865 in Marion Twp, Livingston, MI, and died November 23, 1911 in ,MI. He married DELLA M. BROWN November 26, 1885 in Vernon Twp, Shiawassee, MI, daughter of AMOS BROWN and ALVIRA WINANS.
Children of ORLA KENYON and DELLA BROWN are:
19. i. EARL DEWITT5 KENYON, b. September 9, 1888, Vernon Twp, Shiawassee, MI; d. November 1, 1974, St. Joseph Hosp, Ann Arbor, Washtenaw, MI
ii. NINA L. KENYON, b. January 24, 1894, Marion Twp, Livingston, MI; d. February 11, 1909, Durand, Shiawassee Co., MI.
14. CHARLES F.4 KENYON (CYRUS SEYMOUR3, ENOS2 KINYON , PAUL1) was born June 7, 1868 in Marion Twp, Livingston, MI, and died February 16, 1925. He married BELLE CHALKER.
Children of CHARLES KENYON and BELLE CHALKER are:
i. VELMA3 KENYON.
ii. RUBY KENYON.
iii. JOHN L. KENYON, b. Abt. 1893; d. December 30, 1899, Vernon, Shiawassee, MI
15. ADELLA MAY4 KENYON (CYRUS SEYMOUR3, ENOS2 KINYON , PAUL1) was born November 4, 1869 in Livingston Co., Ml, and died June 23, 1957. She married SAMUEL CHANDLER PATCHELL, son of JOHN PATCHELL and MARY.
Child of ADELLA KENYON and SAMUEL PATCHELL is:
I. ROLLAND S.5 PATCHELL.
16. ELLA FRANCELLA4 KENYON (CYRUS SEYMOUR3, ENOS2 KINYON , PAUL1) was born Abt. 1872 in Marion Twp, Livingston, MI, and died March 1957 in Pontiac, Oakland, MI. She married FRED FAYETTE HAMLIN January 23, 1895.
Children of ELLA KENYON and FRED HAMLIN are:
20. i. ST. CLAIR5 HAMLIN, b. 1897, Swartz Creek, Shiawassee, MI; d. January 23, 1982, South Lyon, Oakland, MI.
21. ii. DELOS FREDERICK HAMLIN, b. December 8, 1904, Swartz Creek, Shiawassee, MI; d. March 17, 1996, Naples, Collier, Florida
22. iii. LAMONT HAMLIN, b. 1914, Hatton Twp., MI; d. June 22, 1989, Grayling, Crawford, MI.
17. GEORGE WASHINGTON4 KENYON (CYRUS SEYMOUR3, ENOS2 KINYON, PAUL1) was born August 20, 1878 in Livingston, MI, and died July 15, 1951 in Ann Arbor, Washtenaw, MI. He married DOROTHY C. BALDWIN June 24, 1903 in Lennon, Shiawassee, MI.
Children of GEORGE KENYON and DOROTHY BALDWIN are:
23. i. REUEL BALDWIN5 KENYON, b. May 9, 1904, Durand, Shiawassee, MI
ii. PAUL RAYMOND KENYON, b. October 25, 1906, Durand, Shiawassee, MI; d. March 22, 1970, Ann Arbor, Washtenaw, MI; m. MARGARET GAUSS.
iii. GERALDINE NINA KENYON, b. July 9, 1910, Durand, Shiawassee, MI; m. HAZEN GEORGE KRENTLER, October 4, 1941, Napoleon, Henry, OH.
18. CHARLES W.4 BOYD (FRANCES ELIZABETH3 KENYON, ENOS2 KINYON , PAUL1) was born November 21, 1876.
Child of CHARLES W BOYD is:
i. HAZEL5 BOYD, b. June 13, 1898.
Submitted by: Jack Kenyon to Cortland Co., NY GenWeb site. He can be E-mailed at Poppajack1@aol.com
19. EARL DEWITT5 KENYON (ORLA J4, CYRUS SEYMOUR3, ENOS2 KINYON , PAUL1) was born September 9, 1888 in Vernon Twp, Shiawassee, MI, and died November 1, 1974 in St. Joseph Hosp, Ann Arbor, Washtenaw, MI. He married JOSIE CORDELIA HERRIMAN October 25, 1911 in Lapeer, Lapeer, MI, daughter of JAMES BEATTIE and MABLE GRUMLEY.
20. ST. CLAIR5 HAMLIN (ELLA FRANCELLA4 KENYON CYRUS SEYMOUR3, ENOS2 KINYON, PAUL1) was born 1897 in Swartz Creek, Shiawassee, MI, and died January 23, 1982 in South Lyon, Oakland, MI. He married TRESSA MIZER September 14, 1918 in Clare, Clare, MI.
21. DELOS FREDERICK5 HAMLIN (ELLA FRANCELLA4 KENYON, CYRUS SEYMOUR3, ENOS2 KINYON , PAUL1) was born December 8, 1904 in Swartz Creek, Shiawassee, MI, and died March 17, 1996 in Naples, Collier, Florida. He married MILDRED HARTZ October 16, 1925 in Farmington, Oakland, MI.
22. LAMONT5 HAMLIN (ELLA FRANCELLA4 KENYON, CYRUS SEYMOUR3, ENOS2 KINYON , PAUL1) was born 1914 in Hatton Twp., Clare, MI, and died June 22, 1989 in Grayling, Crawford, MI. He married OLIVE BAGNALL in Farmington, Oakland, MI.
23. REUEL BALDWIN5 KENYON (GEORGE WASHINGTON4, CYRUS SEYMOUR3, ENOS2 KINYON , PAUL1) was born May 9, 1904 in Durand, Shiawassee, MI. He married PAULINE CELESTE MILLER August 21, 1943 in Detroit, Wayne, MI.