CLASSIFICATION: Family ground.
LOCATION: South of the village of Hyde Park, on the property now owned by Thomas J. Newbold.
CONDITION: Original stone wall standing. The enclosure incorporated in the yard of some out-buildings. The few remaining grave-stones cast to one side.
INSCRIPTIONS: 12 in number. Twelve copied in October, 1871, by Henry R. Van Vliet of Pleasant Plains and five copied on May 10, 1911, by J. W. Poucher, M. D., and Miss Helen W. Reynolds.
The two lists of 1871 and 1911 have here been combined into one. Where the initials "V. V." are appended it indicates that the stone in question was found in 1871 but had disappeared before 1911.
REMARKS: Charles Crooke (son of Charles and Ann Rutgers Crooke of New York City-, born 1735, died 1772, established a country residence at Crum Elbow, Dutchess County. The estate was known as "Crooke's Delight." Within its boundaries this family burial ground was laid out. The enclosure contained at one time a number of stones, of which only twelve were found in 1871 and five in 1911.
1. Barber, Charles Hewett, only son of Colonel William, d. 1795, Sep. 1, a. 2 y, 6 m.
2. Barber, William, Esq., late Colonel, U. S. A., d. 1798, June 17, in 44th y.
3. Broom, Ann, dau. of Charles Crooke and wife of William Broom, b. at Crum Elbow 1768, Apr. 14, d. at "Brookside", Poughkeepsie, 1856, Apr. 27, in 89th y.
4. Broom, Gabriel William Ludlow, s. of John Broom of Crum Elbow, b. at Inwood, Sullivan County, 1835, Oct. 31, d. at Poughkeepsie, 1856, Oct. 23. (V. V.)
5. Broom, John, d. at Inwood, Fallsburgh, Sullivan County, N. Y., 1841, June 10, a. 32 y. (V. V.)
6. Broome, Sarah, w. of Charles, & dau. of John & Elizabeth Baldwin, b. at St.
(Leonard's), Herefordshire, England, 1810, Oct. 1, d. at Poughkeepsie, 1844, Apr. 30, in 34th y.
7. Broom, William, a native of Briston, England, d. in Albany, N. Y., 1880, Jan. 17, in 62d y.
8. Crooke, Charles, s. of Charles Crooke, b. in New York, d. at Crum Elbow, 1772, Oct. 8. (V. V.)
9. Crooke, Dr. Charles, d. 1788, Sep. 7, a. 22 y. 10 m, 13 d. (V. V.)
10. Crooke, Jane, w. of Charles, b. at Kinderhook, d. at Albany, 1813, Feb., a. 72 y. (V. V.)
11. Crooke, John, d. 1845, Mar. 18, a. 74 y (V. V.)
12. Hardenburgh, Helen Mary Crooke, w. of Cornelius L., of New Brunswick, & dau. of John & Cornelia Crooke of Poughkeepsie, d. 1825, Apr. 27, a. 27 y. (V.V.)