CLASSIFICATION: Community Ground.
LOCATION: Not identified.
REMARKS: In 1730 Matthew Du Bois of Ulster County bought more than a thousand acres, lying along the west bank of the Wappingers Creek, between Red Oaks Mill and the Titusville dam, and tending westward about to the cross road called Cedar avenue. He built a brick dwelling (which is still standing, though with altered roof, and is now owned by Mr. Augustus B. Gray) and died between 1744 and 1749. There is a well defined tradition that Matthew Du Bois set aside ground for use by his neighborhood as a burial place but the site is as yet uncertain.
Copied by Charlotte Carey Dingee and transcribed by Liz DuBois
Back to Dutchess Co. Genealogy