Interments in the OBLONG MEETING HOUSE



"Old Gravestones of Dutchess County, New York" by J. W. Poucher published in 1924, page 182.



CLASSIFICATION: Historical Monument
LOCATION: Quaker Hill.
CONDITION: Fair.
INSCRIPTIONS: One. Copied from Hasbrouck's History of Dutchess County, page 401.
REMARKS: A rough boulder by the roadside in front of the Oblong meeting House, Quaker Hill, bears a memorial tablet, the inscription on which is quoted below. The lot on the opposite (south) side of the road, where the soldiers of the Revolution lie in unmarked graves, is a wild tangle of vegetable growth.

"Oblong Meeting House of the Society of Friends.
Erected in 1742 south of this road
Present building erected in 1764
First offensive action against slavery
Taken here in 1767
Occupied as Hospital January 1779
By Revolutionary soldiers
Many of whom are buried south of the road
Meeting divided 1828
Meetings discontinued in this house 1885."



Return to Dutchess County Genealogy