Interments in the THE RED MEETING HOUSE GROUND
"Old Gravestones of Dutchess County, New York" by J. W. Poucher published in 1924.
LOCATION: A mile northeast of the village of Amenia, at the site of the former "Red Meeting House".
CONDITION: Well cared for.
INSCRIPTIONS: 503 in number. Copied by L. Van Alstyne of Sharon, Conn. See page 102 of "Burying Grounds of Sharon, Conn., Amenia and North East, New York", printed 1903. These listings are also posted on this site at Amenia Burying Ground which is how Van Alstyne refers to the cemetery.
REMARKS: The Presbyterian church, known as "Carmel in the Nine Partners", was organized in 1748. The "Red Meeting House" was built in 1758 on land given for a church and burial ground by Captain Stephen Hopkins of Amenia.
Back to Dutchess Co. Genealogy
Back to Dutchess Cemeteries