With the generous permission of the author, the following has been transcribed from Barbara Smith Buys, Old Gravestones of Putnam County, New York : Together with information from ten adjacent Dutchess County burying grounds (Baltimore : Gateway Press c1975). This material is under copyright. No part may be reproduced, in whole or in part, in any form, without the specific written permission of the author.
Mrs. Buys notes that only stones of people born before and through the calendar year of 1850 were transcribed, and "that numerous plain fieldstone markers and unmarked, but evident, graves, were found", in addition to those listed.
SPENCER FAMILY CEMETERY
This cemetery is located on South Road [hamlet of Holmes, Town of Pawling]. Proceed .5 mile from the Holmes Road on South Road. This cemetery is just past a curve on the right hand side.
1. SPENCER, Belinda, dau. of Enoch and Lydia, d. Nov. 2, 1856, 12 y., 11 m.
2, SPENCER, Enoch, d. June 3, 1869, 89-11-26.
3. SPENCER, Harriet, dau. of Benet and Mary, d. Sept. 20, 1860, 20-1-27.
4. SPENCER, Rebecca Jane, dau. of Benet and Mary, d. July 21, 1854, 20-8-12.
5. TURNER, James W., s. of Lyman S. and Polly M., d. Jan. 18, 1850, 1 y., 13 d.
6. TURNER, J. Robert, s. of Stephen and Sarah, d. Dec. 22, 1861, 29-10-22.
7. TURNER, Peter A., d. Jan. 15, 1865, 28-7-29.
8. TURNER, Sarah, w. of Stephen, d. Oct. 12, 1866, 69-5-20.
9. TURNER, Stephen, d. Dec. 9, 1873, 80-5-25.
Transcribed by Susan Brehm
Back to Dutchess Co. Genealogy