VAN DER BURGH GROUND (1)
CLASSIFICATION: Family ground
LOCATION: On land owned in 1924 by Dr. A. R. Mofitt.
REMARKS: The land which is in the angle formed by the junction of the Post Road and Beechwood avenue (about two miles south of the city of Poughkeepsie) was a portion of the farm of Henry Van Der Burgh, who settled in the neighborhood about 1710 and died about 1750. A mortgage, dated April 16, 1771, (Loan Office records, vol. 1771-1777, No. 105), and covering 43 acres in approximately the location above referred to, contains this clause:
"reserving out a quarter of an acre for a Simetry or Burying Place for which purpose the same has long since been used for the family of Henry Van Denburgh deceased, with Free liberty to pass and Repass to and from the same for all persons who shall attend any funeralls."
Traces of this burial ground are not now visible. In 1913 when the foundation was dug for the house of Mr. Oakley Norris (later sold to Dr. A R. Moffitt) traces of an ancient burial ground were found. In the neighborhood there is a tradition that the stones from this burial place were built into the foundation of the barn now standing on the farm of Edward H. Brasch, near by. The barn was erected approximately 1865-1875.
VAN DER BURGH (2)
CLASSIFICATION: Family ground.
LOCATION: Southeast of the city of Poughkeepsie, in an orchard near the east
fence of the property of the Hudson River Driving Park Association.
CONDITION: Stones fallen and broken.
INSCRIPTIONS: 9 in number. Copied April 25, 1911, by J. W. Poucher, M. D., and Miss Helen W. Reynolds.
REMARKS: Van Der Burgh ground. Before 1800 the Van Der Burghs were large land owners in this neighborhood and on old maps the present Southeast Avenue, Poughkeepsie, was "the road to John Van Der Burgh's". John Van Der Burgh's house is still standing opposite the northeast corner of the Driving Park but made over and modernized. In its first estate it was an attractive eighteenth century farm house with an excellent carved doorway and fanlight. Originally there were a good many stones in the family burial ground which, by vandalism,
have been broken and scattered.
1. Burton, Abigail, w. of Stephen, d. 1850, Oct, ----, a. 82 y. 2 m.
2. Burton, Stephen, d. 1842. (Broken stone).
3. Vanderburgh, Abraham, d. 1840, Nov. 23, a. 60 y. 9 d.
4. Vanderburgh, Elizabeth Meserole, w. of Peter, d. 1842, Apr. 24, a. 93-6-7.
5. Vanderburgh, Henry, d. 1821, Nov. 9, in 82d y.
6. Vanderburgh, Maria, w. of Henry P., d. 1823, May 29, a. 28 y. 8 m.
7. Vanderburgh, Peter, d. --------. (Broken)
8. ------------, d. Dec. 15, -------, a. 81-8-24.
(Broken stone, possibly part of Peter Vanderburgh's).
9. ------------, "March , a. 75 y. 1 m." (broken stone).
Copied by Charlotte Carey Dingee and transcribed by Liz DuBois
Back to Dutchess Co. Genealogy