Enoch Crosby Family History
Extracts from an article by
Enoch Crosby was born January 4, 1750, at Harwich, Barnstable County, Mass., and was a son of Thomas and Elizabeth Crosby.
Simon Crosby, the founder of the family in America, was born in England in 1599 and landed in Newtown (now Cambridge), Mass., on Oct. 2, 1635, with his wife and infant son, Thomas, then eight weeks old. He was thirty-six years old as given on the ship's passenger list. He died in September, 1639. His son, Thomas Crosby, entered Harvard College, graduated July 9, 1653, and subsequently became a minister of the gospel. He succeeded Rev. John Mayo as pastor of the Eastham Church, remaining there until 1670. He died in Boston June 27, 1702. He was Enoch Crosby's grandfather.
Oddly enough Crosby, who was twice married, each time selected a widow. His first wife was Sarah Kniffin, widow of Ephraim Nickerson, and his second wife was Margaret, widow of Col. Benjamin Green of Somers. His first wife bore him six children, two sons and four daughters:
Pelletreau in his History of Putnam County says that nothing further was known of Thomas Crosby, Enoch's father, and that probably he died in 1777 as his name did not appear on the tax list of that year. Later research has revealed that he went to live with his son, Benjamin on a farm which is now Baldwin Place, where he died in June, 1793. Rev. Silas Constant recorded in his diary that he preached his funeral sermon on June 15, 1793, from the text Matthew m, 2. It is stated that he was buried in the Presbyterian cemetery at Mahopac Falls. Elizabeth Crosby, his wife, died Aug. 6, 1801, aged ninety-two years, and was buried in the Old Gilead Cemetery.
Besides Benjamin, Enoch and Elizabeth, wife of Captain Solomon Hopkins, he (Thomas Crosby, Enoch's father) had another son, Thomas, who moved to Delaware County, N.Y. and also another daughter, Phebe, who married Wheaton Robinson and moved to Stephentown, Albany County, N.Y. Rev. Silas Constant performed their marriage ceremony.
Enoch Crosby was Supervisor of the town of Southeast from 1812 to 1813 and also served a term or two as Justice of the Peace of that town.