WALES - was formed from Aurora, April 15, 1818; and a part of Marilla was taken off in 1853. It is situated near the center of the E. border of the co. Its surface is broken and hilly and inclined toward the N. The principal stream is Big Buffalo Creek. The soil in the N. is a gravelly loam, and in the S. clay underlaid by hardpan. Wales Center, (p.v.,) on Big Buffalo Creek, in the N. part of the town, contains 2 churches, a gristmill, a sawmill, and 40 dwelllings; Wales, (p.v.,) on the same stream, contains 1 church, a gristmill, a sawmill, and 30 dwellings; and South Wales (p.v.) contains a gristmill, a sawmill, and 25 dwellings. The first settlement was made in 1805, by Oliver Pettengill.(1) There are 3 churches in town; 2 M.E. and a Free Will Bap.
(1)Ethan and Wm. Allen and Jacob Turner settled in the town in 1806, and Chas. and Alex. McKay, Ebenezer Holmes, and Wm. Hoyt in 1807. The first birth was that of Wm. Pettengill, in June, 1806. Isaac and Eli Hall built the first mill, in 1811; Isaac Hall kept the first inn, in 1816; and Orsamus Warren the first store, in 1824. The first school was taught by Jas. Wood, in 1811. In 1813 an Indian hatchet was found imbedded in a tree at Wales Center, and in 1825 John Allen related the following circumstance concerning it. About the time of the first settlement of Buffalo an Indian came to that place and exhibited the skin of a white child, and boasted that he had murdered and skinned the child for the purpose of making a tobacco pouch. Truman Allen, (brother of the narrator,) hearing the boast, became so enraged that he followed the Indian to Wales and shot him. He buried the body and rifle in the sand, and stuck the tomahawk into a tree, where it was afterward found as above stated.
J.H. French, Gazetteer of the State of New York (Syracuse, New York: R. Pearsall Smith, 1860), p. 293.