County Page Requirements
- A message was sent out over the GEN-NYS-L list in June asking if anyone would be
interested starting a NYS GEN-WEB page similiar to a highly successful project underway in
Kentucky. Many people expressed an interest in this idea. About the same time, Jeff
Murphy, coordinator of the KY GEN WEB, decided to go national with the idea, and out of
that grew the US GEN WEB project, and the NY GEN WEB project.
At the same time,
volunteers were found who were willing to coordinate the collection of databases and
generally oversee the contents of the web page. Contact the volunteer shown on the county
page if you have a desire to add your data to the database. If the county in which you are
interested does not have a page and you wish to participate, please contact Robert Sullivan, New York State Coordinator
- There are a few basic requirements that every county page must meet in order to be
associated with our project and be included on the Master Index Page for a state. The
- All County Coordinators are required to join the mailing list for New York County
Coordinators. This is where we discuss all matters having to do with the New York program.
The State Coordinator will subscribe you when your county page is set up.
- Every page must have a pointer to the NY Master County List maintained by the state
coordinator. Return to NYGenWeb (There
should also be a note telling people that if they have an interest in adopting a county
they should contact the state coordinator and give his/her email address. The current NY State Coordinator is Robert Sullivan.
- Every county must provide a query page. This can be handled either with an automated
query system, or with email to the page owner and updated manually, and both ways are
being used. Queries must be updated at least once per month.
- Every page must provide some kind of resource information for county. (This can be look
up's or where to go to get information.)
- You must display the NY State Logo (We are currently using the Niagara Falls/Statue of Liberty logo designed by Debbie Barrett, but the older NY license plate logo is still acceptable) and the USGenWeb logo on your page.
- You must add something new to county at least once every 3 months besides query updates.
(This can be in the form of new information, new links, updated page design,...)
- No Commercial advertising or selling on county pages. (The purpose of the USGenWeb
project is to provide free genealogical and historical information for all. Links to
commercial pages, or sponsored by statements such as "This page is hosted by"
and a link to that page is OK, but visitors must not have to go through commercial pages
to get pertinent information)
- No use of copyright material without prior approval from the author.
- Although the following pointer is no longer mandatory since it have been placed on
the Master Index Page, it is recommended that it also appear on your page for the
convenience of those visiting your page.
A link to the USGenWeb page.
The URL is http://www.usgenweb.org/
- Beyond these few "bare essentials", your page is yours to do with as you
please. Should there be any changes made in the basic requirements, you will be notified
on the mailing list and this message will be updated.
- As new county pages are put up on the web, they are checked by someone on the evaluation
committee for the required elements and to be sure your links work. Your evaluator will
let you know when they have visited your page. If there are any problems with links or any
required elements missing, they will let you know so you may make any changes or
corrections. Post a message to your state coordinator when ready for your page to be
- It is the policy of the U.S. GenWeb Project to obtain permission from the creator of the
code, graphics, and backgrounds before using them on our pages. If you find yourself
having used someone's code without their permission, please either obtain that permission
or remove that feature from your pages.
- "Any" USGenWeb volunteer is welcome to a free shell/FTP account at RootsWeb (http://www.rootsweb.com/), where they may
upload HTML documents and files for FTP. Volunteers may use as much space as they need for
genealogical data, though RootsWeb does request that users not upload personal GEDCOM
- You can download HotDog
by Sausage Software here. A great html editor that takes the fear out of
designing your web page. Give it a try!
- WinNet Communications, Inc You can
find lots of information and tips on html, creating web pages, etc, here, plus a 100 meg
web site at a very reasonable price. This one needs to be checked out!
- 1 2 3 Easy! A
great place to obtain html editors, information, gif files and more... you can even get
web space here. Visit soon and see what you can use!
- GeoCities Another
free web site that offers help with your html pages. Check this one out!
- We welcome you to the US GenWeb project. If you need assistance with getting your page
up, don't hesitate to ask someone associated with your state project, or post a request to
your state's list.
NYGenWeb State Coordinator
Thanks to Nancy Trice for the original code for this page.
You are the 13544 visitor to
Monday, 16-Oct-2006 07:47:22 MDT